EDC/BOB knives

Posted by: LeeG

EDC/BOB knives - 04/20/08 09:56 PM

I was going through my knife collection, thinking about what to carry as part of my newly formed EDC pack. I carry a Leatherman Juice S2 and a 2" Boker ceramic in my pocket currently.

I plan on supplementing what I currently carry all the time with a larger folder and a fixed blade (amongst other things, but focus on them here).

Opinions please on these two knives:
Folder: Boker Brend

Fixed: Cold Steel Master Tanto San Mai

I have many others, including 15-20 Syderco folders, several SOG Fixed blades, Kershaw folders, CRK Folders and Fixed and several other Cold Steel Fixed. (I went on a huge knife/gun buying spree about 8 years ago).

Comments please.
Posted by: horizonseeker

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/20/08 10:21 PM

I'm curious, what do you see using the tanto for as an EDC? will this be a daily user or self-defense only? If it's for the latter, one of the lesser expensive from cold steel (SRK, ODA, UWK, etc) would be my choice since no matter if you are justified in using it, I imagine have it in police custody would give me some anxiety over such a high dollar item.

for me a fixed blade is a moot point as it is more hassle than it's worth in So Cal.

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/20/08 10:50 PM

Cost isn't an issue, because I already have all this stuff. I am mostly wondering about the general usefulness of the knives and if I should even carry one.

Glad I don't live in California any more. I like it here in AZ where I can have my concealed carry permit and carry open regardless.
Posted by: Paragon

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/21/08 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: LeeG
I carry a Leatherman Juice S2 and a 2" Boker ceramic in my pocket currently.

I plan on supplementing what I currently carry all the time with a larger folder and a fixed blade (amongst other things, but focus on them here).

Glad I don't live in California any more. I like it here in AZ where I can have my concealed carry permit and carry open regardless.

Do you actually find it necessary to carry four knives in addition to a handgun anytime you leave your house?

Jim
Posted by: Stretch

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/21/08 02:04 AM

I missed the part where he said he carries "anytime he leaves the house".

Lee, welcome to the forum. I can;t speak for those knives, but I can say what I carry in my BOBs. In my small bag (medium Alice), I carry an old Leatherman (before they had more than one model, I think) and a Frost Cutlery Grizzly Skinner. Now, don;t laugh yet laugh I got that knife from my bro-in-law several years ago and just recently realized it's a pretty nice knife! So, it stays in that BOB.

In another BOB (large Alice), I carry another old leatherman that's been abused, a USBP rescue folder, and two Moras.

I have three small packs (Camelback Mule and 2 no-name brnad) small BOBs have a SOG S62, a Mora, and a BRKT mini-Canadian spread between the three.

I say buy and carry whatever you think will get you through if and when you need it. I do have to agree, though, that a tanto blade isn;t what I'd take, but I'd take it if there wasn;t anything better!
Posted by: MDinana

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/21/08 02:15 AM

Yeah, I'd knix the fixed blade as well. If anything ever happens, it'll be hard enough WITH a CCW. Let alone trying to tell the police why you felt it necessary to have a pistol, fixed blade, 2 folders, and a multitool.

There's redundancy, then there's asking for trouble. I think you're leaning towards the latter.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/21/08 03:12 AM

It's hard to go wrong with one folder and one multitool if they're good quality. I carry a backup but it's just a Gerber EAB folder which is more money clip than knife.

I only upgrade to a fixed blade when I'm hiking/camping/etc.

Personally I'd steer clear of ceramic or tanto tipped blades in the urban jungles. The purpose of a tanto tip is to make the knife stronger for thrusting. To law enforcement can mean a fighting knife. Same goes for ceramic...to many the only reason such knives exist is to fool metal detectors. That can look bad to LEO types too.

Stick with quality and spread your stash out a bit instead of carrying too much. I put my knives in different locations so I have them around when I need them.

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/21/08 04:43 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I plan on upgrading my Leatherman to a Charge soon and it will go from my pocket to my belt. I'll keep my little (its actually 1.5") ceramic for quick access in my pants pocket (I wear dress slacks for work). I'll stick with the folder in my knapsack. I usually keep my PPK in my car, as I don't have any place to conceal it with my normal 'at work' garb, and I am hesitant to leave it unattended in my knapsack. I do bring it in when I am working late as my office isn't in the best of neighborhoods.

I'll leave the fixed blade out - I've never actually had a use for one in an urban setting and really can't foresee any situation where I'd need one. I do carry one in my car kit though.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/21/08 11:32 AM

The only urban environment I found a need for a bigger fixed blade was Baghdad.

As for the PPK, I would rather have it in my knapsack than in an unattended car. Without a jacket, I reckon it'd be hard to conceal any decent firearm without it printing or otherwise becoming visible at some point. If you had a desk I'd say keep it locked up in there, but that also invokes a certain amount of exposure during the transition. If you can't keep the knapsack under regular scrutiny, then perhaps the car is the only option, but I would keep it well secured in a lock box or some such then.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/21/08 12:52 PM

In warm weather, if I want to tuck my shirt it, I carry my Kahr MK-40 in a de Santis pocket holster . Not as fast on the draw as my kydex IWB holster, but acceptable. Far better than leaving your weapon in the vehicle (almost a guarantee it will be stolen), or laying around unattended in a daypack...
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/21/08 05:42 PM

As far as EDC goes, pick a knife that you're most comfortable with. I believe that's the single most important factor. Personal preference varies: plain edge/serrated, size, blade and point configuration... Lots of options there and lots of different opinions on what's best. But it's going to be your EDC knife so take the one that works best for you!

Over time I've really gotten used to the new Spyderco Endura w/ Wave. I've carried it almost every day pretty much everywhere I go and it has literally become an extension of my arm. It so happens that the Endura works well for me - somebody else might well find some other knife more useful. The particular model you pick isn't really important as long as it's well made and fits your specific needs.

IMHO a good folder with a quality multitool for backup will handle every daily task an urban dweller is likely to encounter. Unless you spend much of your life outdoors I don't see a fixed blade as a practical choice for EDC. Still, always a good idea to include one in your BOB.
Posted by: Russ

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/21/08 06:01 PM

I have a CS Master Tanto and cannot see its value as an EDC knife. Interesting knife, but not practical as an EDC. There are other fixed blades I've carried, both smaller and bigger, but the CS has never made the cut.
Posted by: Joseph13

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/22/08 03:34 AM

LeeG,

Check out the inside the waist band ccw belts. They look like a concealed money pouch with two open top pockets. A friend of slight stature shocked the vendor at a gun show when instead of putting a pistol in one and a second mag in the other, he placed a pair of full sized 1911 style .45's in the pockets. Some how they fit in his pants without the typical bulge from the butt of the handles.

As far as the CS Tanto the leather sheath on them has always bothered me. The few times I wore it hug up getting in and out of the car and while seated in a chair, was rather difficult to retrieve quickly. The newer kydex type offers more carry options but I as of yet have not picked one up for mine. Come to think of it I probably won't as I have had the knife for about 15 years. It has become one of many in my collection.

As for concealed folders I find while seated, one clipped into a button down shirt offers excellent access for a right handed person, as mens shirts button left over right. and if you wear a tie it will conceal the clip and butt of the handle nicely.
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/22/08 05:41 PM

LeeG,

Not to hijack the thread, but there are LOTS of ways to carry a firearm concealed in normal work clothes. A whole coursefull (I teach one). PM me with what you wear if you want some suggestions.

As for the EDC knife, I also have Cold Steel Tanto's and find sharpened crowbars not necessary for most uses (some military, police, underwater and EMS exceptions). My daily carry is a SAK, usually an Executive (for the scissors, toothpick and tweezers) and a good folder. A multitool (SpyderWrench) is in my case.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Posted by: Crogan

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/26/08 02:11 AM

My EDC is an Ontario Rat-1 folder as it fits my big mitt well and a Leatherman Charge TI. I carry the Rat clipped in my front pocket and the Leatherman in a belt sheath. When I go hiking I add a Falkniven Freya (got a smoking good deal so it replaced my beloved Rat-7). I've carried three in the bush for years and also when highway driving and never had a problem. I've carried them all over Canada and the US with work. The BOB has a Norlund camp hatchet/tomahawk strapped to one side and a Kershaw D2 strapped to the other. Overkill perhaps but as my platoon sargant used to say "Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it!"
Posted by: In_Flux

Re: EDC/BOB knives - 04/27/08 06:45 PM

I EDC a small Micarta Sebenza with partial serrations and a Leatherman Charge Ti on my belt.

If I'm hiking I add a Strider SA-L with G-10 Scales (usually in my pack).

Not a fan of Cold Steel or tantos in general- just IMO...