Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures.

Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/18/08 03:15 PM

Landmann FireStarters.

I found these at my local Menards in the fireplace stuff the other day, 24 packets for $4.99.
Clean, non-toxic and waterproof and has a stated burn time of up to 10 minutes.

VERY lightweight, should be great for PSK's.

Weather conditions were clear but very windy.

Here is some shots for size, each packet is roughly a little larger than a sugar packet you find in a diner.

With a 84mm Wenger SAK.

With a common size paper matchbook.

Initial lighting with a paper match.

30 Seconds after lighting.

1 Minute after lighting.

2 minutes after lighting.

At 8 minutes after lighting, it was still going strong, but the wind was beginning to blow burning pieces away, so I soaked it with water.
I believe it would have come close to the claimed 10 minutes.

I intended to try and light the contents of the package with a Blastmatch, thinking I would need to cut it open to expose the contents to the sparks, but I tried it first as it was, and to my suprise, on the third strike of the Blastmatch, sparks melted through the waterproof plastic coating and lit the contents.
(I put yellow tape on my Blastmatch to make it easier to find if dropped)

[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m103/...ers/Photo11.jpg[/img]

I tossed on some small kindling and away it went!
[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m103/...ers/Photo13.jpg[/img]

After soaking it again due to the wind picking up, I pulled the remainder of the second packet out of the fire, and was able to relight it with a match after being soaked.

[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m103/...ers/Photo14.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m103/...ters/Photo5.jpg[/img]

These should be a great "tinder" for small lightweight kits!

Posted by: haertig

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/18/08 03:51 PM

Those look pretty cool. I just called my local Ace Hardware and they have them locally. Of course they cost more for me in my area, $6.99, but that's OK. I think I'll pick some up on my next trip to Ace, I like their "packability"

Thanks for the review!

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/18/08 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Question: are they stiff or bendy?

They are a little flexible.

PS, I found these same things today at my local Target, in with the BBQ grills and stuff. They were sold under the "Thermos" brand name, but are the same packets.
Posted by: thseng

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/18/08 06:58 PM

Thanks for the review. Any idea what is actually inside them? The box in your photo says "non-petroleum"...

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/18/08 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: thseng
Thanks for the review. Any idea what is actually inside them? The box in your photo says "non-petroleum"...

The ingredients are "Aliphatic Hydrocarbons, Urea Based Resins & Parafins."
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/19/08 01:24 AM

so its made out of pee??
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/19/08 01:44 AM

Hi Rusty,

Neat Firestarters. These are the same ones I put in my Youth Group Kits from last summer, I bought them in a dollar store here in Ontario called "Dollarama", they came in a plastic bag with 16 packets in it and they cost $1.00. A great bargin as I find these firestarters worked well.

I had no luck lighting them through the packet with a ferro rod and a hacksaw blade but it worked after I opened the package.

I saw the same firestarters for sale in Canadian Tire in the camping section. I think they were 24 to a bag but were about $6.00?

Mike
Posted by: BobS

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/19/08 02:18 AM

I always to make my own stuff like this. It’s super easy to make fully contained fire starters that work great.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/19/08 03:51 AM

That's what I thought too.

I like them, will have to check out the ACE next time we venture into town...
Posted by: leemann

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/19/08 04:27 AM

Home depot had them under some name as well.

Lee
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/19/08 03:12 PM

nice find--good gizmo..looks like they would stay lit in the wind and unlike the military ration heating bars there is no
foil pack left over to deal with--

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/19/08 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

nice find--good gizmo..looks like they would stay lit in the wind

That's for sure, it was really kicking up at times during the test, and it just seem to make them flame up higher!
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/19/08 08:41 PM

Found them at the local Kroger's supermarket in the barbecue section smile right next to the strike on box matches frown
Posted by: LeeG

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/20/08 12:28 AM

I tried ACE today and they were not carrying them due to manufacturer not being able to keep orders fulfilled.

I'll try HD and Frys tomorrow.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/20/08 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Found them at the local Kroger's supermarket in the barbecue section smile right next to the strike on box matches frown
Thanks for the tip! I found them at our local grocery too. They're called "King Soopers" here in Colorado, but they are part_of/owned_by/whatever Krogers.

They were on sale for $5.39 this week (normally $5.99) for that 24-pack. If we have any more Spring blizzards this year, I'll go out and try one in the blasting wind and blowing snow. I'll probably dip it in a bowl of water before the test too - be as hard on the thing as possible to see if it's suitable for real-world survival conditions.
Posted by: LeeG

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/20/08 11:02 PM

Fry's Food and Drug here in AZ has them (with the charcoal, matches, and Coleman fuel)
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/21/08 11:37 AM

I too found them at the local Target, under the Thermos brand name. Appears to be mostly parafin. Lit one and noticed that the flame peaks a bit at first, then subsides to a moderate flame for a few minutes, then slowly tails off. It left quite a residue on the stone, including the remnants of the wrapper. Still, I think it suitable as a good tinder source for firemaking. Good find.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Landmann Firestarters: Review with pictures. - 04/21/08 12:50 PM

Hi,

Correction to my previous post.

I found an un-opened package of these firestarters in my gear-pile today, they are 8 packets/package for a $1.00, not 16 packets as I posted earier.

The plastic packet is red and yellow in colour and just lists them as "Firestarters", distributed by Litestyles of Chambly, Quebec.

I like these firestarters and keep them scattered throughout my pockets/packs, usually with a mini-Bic lighter.

Mike