Advice for first-time solo backpacker?

Posted by: ChrisInAZ

Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/17/08 02:36 PM

Hi--

I'm planning my first solo backpacking trip and was wondering if any of you have advice on equipment and other considerations...e.g. is a PLB necessary/recommended, survival gear, communications, security, etc.

Any thoughts you have or links you can point me to are greatly appreciated.

Chris
Posted by: gizmojumpjet

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/17/08 04:08 PM

What part of the country are you going to be hiking in? What time of year? Is this going to be on public or private land? What is your level of outdoor experience? What is your fitness level? How long are you going to be out for?

These are the sorts of details people will need to know in order to give you the best advice.

Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/17/08 04:22 PM

File a travel plan with someone trustworthy with info on exactly where you are going, when to call when you are overdue, who to call and what to tell them.

Have stuff to be able to wait for rescue.

Carefully think about each step every step of the way.

Have a great experience!

(I love solo backpacking though I haven't done it in far too long.)
Posted by: Blast

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/17/08 04:26 PM

Welcome to the fire, Newguy Chris. I think you'll learn a lot. Definately try out the search engine as this topic has been covered a number of times.

The biggie is tell someone reliable (or better yet, two someones) where you are going, the route you will take, and when they should call search and rescue if they don't hear from you again.

Other tips:
1. Leave a picture or description of your tent, sleeping bag, pack and clothing with reliable person to help SAR people know what to look for.

2. Leave imprints of your boot/shoe treads with reliable person. Make the imprints by stepping on a sheet of aluminum foil. This will help trackers know which tracks to follow.

3. PLB are worth their wait in gold in backcountry areas.

4. Keep an eye on the weather. Better still, know what the weather is supposed to be before heading out and prepare appropriately. Depending on where you are going, this can mean cancelling the trip.

Gear selection is a function of where you are going. Tell us that and we'll help you decide what to bring (assuming you have an unlimited bank account and the ability to carry 120 lbs of gear grin).

-Blast
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/17/08 04:33 PM

Not knowing the particular geographic/personal details, your list ought to start with this:

A map of the area preferably waterproofed

A decent compass

At least two different firestarting implements

A weatherproof shelter, could be something as basic as an oversized contractor's trash bag or a 10' x 12' tarp, to a bivy bag, to a tent
or good sleeping bag
Posted by: KenK

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/17/08 05:22 PM

Below I'm listing Doug Ritter's top '10' list of survival items that he presented on a radio show a while back. Now, people can argue long and hard about the details and order of each, but I for one whole-heartedly agree that a mapping GPS w/ spare batteries AND a PLB can be true lifesavers if the worst happens.

So many people get into trouble because they simply get lost and can't find their way back to a key location. Yes, map & compass navigation skill are important and EXTREMELY useful, but when the stuff has hit the fan I'd much rather rely on a mapping GPS for navigation than a map & compass. A good mapping GPS with an on-board electronic compass makes navigation so simple that quite literally an 8-year old can do it.

If the time has come where you need to stay put and call for help, then a PLB will - without much question - bring help to you. Yes they are expensive, but how much is your life worth to you???

Downsize/trim your key survival gear so that you can keep it with you at ALLLL times - even when just stepping away from the campsite to do some personal business. It won't help you if you don't have it. Accidents don't come with a 3-minute warning light.

As others have said, pre-trip planning, preparation, and notification are keys to keeping you safe and making sure you get home.

1. Navigation - a mapping GPS w/ spare batteries, or secondarily a map & compass, AND the knowledge to use them together

2. Knife - one-hand opening

3. Fire starter & Tinder

4. Water & water purification

5. Whistle

6. Signal Mirror

7. Duct Tape

8. Shelter - large garbage bags or AMK Heat Sheets blanket

9. Flashlight or Headlamp - LED, lithium battery, with constant-on switch

10. Sunscreen and/or Insect Repellent

11. Personal Locator Beacon
Posted by: jaywalke

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/17/08 07:15 PM

Just like real estate, it's all about location and timing.

If you are in deep backcountry off-trail, a PLB is a great idea. If you're on a busy trail in peak hiking season, maybe not so much. In between is a sliding scale.

I spent Wednesday on the Appalachian Trail doing some volunteer trail work (and getting paid because I have a cool employer). I was on one of the more remote sections around here, in the center of a 12-mile long, 4000' high ridgewalk with no road access, meaning it's a stiff climb and a long stroll to get up there no matter which way you go.

In the 8 hours I was up there alone painting blazes, seven backpackers and one hunter walked by and stopped to chat. There are rural roads that don't get that much traffic. A PLB, for me, in this area, is too much. Your mileage may vary.

Likewise, I don't bother with a signal mirror or sunscreen (tree cover limits both) or bug spray (no bugs). However, I usually have two whistles and I'd add a first aid kit to the list above. If you are in AZ, your situation is very different than mine and as you gain solo experience you'll adjust your gear accordingly.

Lots of other good suggestions here already. +1 on the leaving a plan with someone. The Lovely Spouse always gets a list and map from me: a) parking HERE, b) coming out HERE2, c) at this TIME (with a hefty safety cushion, like half a day, for usual delays). If I'm not home by TIME2, call 911 and ask for THIS SAR team, sheriff, etc. appropriate for the area.

My final suggestion is to take a book. Exploring solo is great, but unless you are used to twenty-four hour solitude there may be times you feel bored.

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/17/08 07:59 PM

Thinking about this a bit more. Chris your posting says Arizona.
That brings to mind all kinds of possibilities.
But ultimately you didn't give us much context. Where will you be? How much experience backpacking do you already have?
And so on. The answers depend on conditions.

If you've never backpacked before, going solo isn't a good idea for many reasons. (most of which having to do with not having developed a "groove" with yourself and your gear.)

If you're going alone and planning your first trip and going out in the Arizona desert in July planning to live off the land just like the Indians.... well, there are more reasons :-)

I second that a small book is a good idea as would be reading one about tracking or other intricate outdoor skills beforehand so that you'll have something else to keep occupied if you need it.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/17/08 10:04 PM

Welcome Newguy!

I'd second what everyone else has said, and just add this: Don't take too big a bite the first few times. Don't take off on some 50 miles in three days thing, pick a nice short (as in no more than three or four miles) hike. Being all alone in the boonies can have a different effect on different people, some love it, others start hearing boogymen with every sound. If you discover that you fall into the second catagory, it is easier for you to bail...
Posted by: SHawk

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/17/08 10:11 PM

My only addition i sto think of what is most likely to go wrong, e.g. your are going to be late returning, or falling and hurting yourself, and develop a plan on how to deal with that emergency. If you have thought about how to deal with problems befor they happen you have an idea of how to work through them, thus lessening the stress of the situation. Also it may be like carrying an umbrella and it doesn't rain, if youplan for it it won't happen.
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/18/08 12:17 AM

Most people have said you aren't giving them enough information to give you helpful guidance. While somewhat true, I think its misleading. First off, I would echo OBG and say don't try to be too ambitious. My impression is that you aren't too experienced with hiking and camping (if I'm wrong my advice is too basic, but that won't get you hurt). I would recommend that you start at a reasonably secure area (National Forest or Park for example) where hiking and camping are pretty common and stick to a well traveled trail. Take it easy and consider your first hike a shake down of your skills and equipment.

Second, don't run out and buy the most expensive gear right off, you don't really need it and you also don't know what you'll prefer. If you can't borrow or rent, look at Coleman and similar brands that sacrifice some weight for price, but not much in quality. If you want to upgrade to a $100 stove later, you won't regret having bought a $20 one. As far as a specific list of gear, here are a couple of pretty good comprehensive lists I found using Google:

http://www.worldclassgear.com/backpacking_packing_list.asp

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/gear/packlst_bp.htm

I won't say they're the best lists in the world. You can probably eliminate somethings or add others, but they'll get you on the right track for the kinds of equipment you'll need.

A word, purely my opinion, on PLBs. To me they seem like a good tool for people who are working in unforgiving areas or who are pushing the limits of their abilities. But for the most part, they seem like their being bought either as a comfort blanket, or stupidity insurance. I've done a fair amount of hiking and geologic field work in Wyoming and never felt like a PLB was warranted. Leave a plan with some one you trust and don't take stupid risks, that should be sufficient. The Army likes the five point contingency plan: where are you going, who are you taking with you, when are you leaving and when will you return, what to do if you don't return and what to do in case of enemy contact (you can ignore the last point). Add a map to your start point and of your probably route if its a more obscure location.

Finally, I suggest picking up a copy of the Boy Scout Handbook. I don't know if I have the most recent edition, but the one I have is a gold mine of information on camping and hiking. Everything from what to pack to how to cook. It also has the constellations, map reading, tracking, some common plants on and on. Definitely worth picking up.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/18/08 01:58 AM

Ditto everyone else. In addition to a "flight plan" with a trusted one, I'd also check in with whichever ranger or public service agency is in charge of that area. A friendly "I'm going camping, be back on Day X" will help ensure that someone official notices you missing.

Also... a big flashlight... things that go bump in the night are much more intimidating when alone! smile
Posted by: BobS

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/18/08 02:31 AM

Take more water then you think you will need or a water filter if the area has water.

And GPS would be good to know where you are. GPS is great; it’s a map that knows where you are at.
Posted by: Still_Alive

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/18/08 01:18 PM

My first solo hikes were in an area that had cell phone service. I realize not everyone has that luxury(?), but if you do, turn it off, throw it in your pack, and if you need it you'll have it.

Don't forget to turn it off--nothing ruins the serenity of a solo hike like "Fur Elise".
Posted by: samhain

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/20/08 12:08 AM

I second all advise given so far, especially notifying folks where / when you're going. Remember to stick with your basics, Doug's basic 10 is a good start.

I would add:

Be very aware of becoming infected with "get there-itis".

It will drive you past your limits, and put you in trouble in a second.

"just one more hill, just one more hill" is good motivation for running a marathon but when you're alone in the woods and have to set up camp at the end of your hike, it's a bad idea.

Exhaustion will get you in trouble every time. You're more prone to injury and not paying attention to what's going on around you.

Leave your ego at home. It will get you into trouble every time. The forest is bigger than all of us and doesn't forgive.

Keep it simple and short to start with.

Try your stuff out in the backyard if you have one. Better to identify a problem when you can get up and go inside than in the middle of the woods where you're stuck.

I've been cold, wet, lost, and exhausted and it sucks!!!
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/20/08 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: samhain

Try your stuff out in the backyard if you have one. Better to identify a problem when you can get up and go inside than in the middle of the woods where you're stuck.

This is similar to what the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery did on their first day. They only paddled about fours hours (a half day journey) and then made camp for the night. This let them ensure they had everything needed, that it was packed in the right manner and place, and that the embarking/disembarking procedures worked. If something was missing or wrong they would could get it corrected without a huge loss. They still lost the day, but the psychological advantage gained by only having to paddle downstream a little way was enormous.

Practice in the backyard, porch, balcony..anywhere but the real hike.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/20/08 06:58 PM

Re: GPS, it's a really neat tool but it's NO substitute for map & compass + actual navigation skills. I've personally witnessed a situation (and heard of several verified stories) when the GPS malfunctioned and ran out of batteries at the worst possible time. If that happens and you can't find your way out with a map and compass you're screwed, for lack of a better word.

Especially for novice hikers I think it's very important to keep it simple, down to the basics. Learn the basic skills first. Depending on gadgets is a really bad idea out in the wilderness where so many things can go wrong unexpectedly.
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/21/08 12:50 AM

Having a large aerial view is one of the great arguments for the map over the GPS, or at least along side. Even the largest screen on a GPS is only a couple inches big. A map can show you tens of kilometers all in one glance. Where's the nearest road or water; what's on the other side of that hill. They also allow spontaneity, since you can see things you might not have known about. I've got a map of post on my wall about 25km square which shows topography, roads, trails, buildings and rivers. I love being able to look at a map and see exactly where I am in relation to my surroundings.

Also, if you find maps cumbersome, consider folding it like THIS . It feels a little destructive, but its really useful.

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/21/08 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: samhain
I've been cold, wet, lost, and exhausted and it sucks!!!

Been there, done that, you are right, it SUCKS!!!

They say what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger.

But it still Sucks!
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/21/08 04:03 PM

Excellent, excellent advice above.

I have been solo backpacking for many years. For me, it's a kind of meditation-through-walking thing. I'm no new-age type, but it really sorts out my head. I don't get the same effect from group trips.

You'll tend to pack a bit heavier, because you can't share gear, and because you may need to hole up for a couple of extra days (if injured or stormbound).

You also tend to be a lot more conservative about taking risks -- whether crossing streams, dealing with wildlife, negotiating rough terrain, dealing with bad weather, keeping your gear dry, staying hydrated, and controlling your core temperature. Know the signs of dehydration and hypothermia. All these little things add up, risk-wise, because there's nobody on hand to bail you out. But that's part of the appeal.

Colin Fletcher, a well-respected backpacking author (_The Complete Walker III_), also prefers to walk solo. He deals with more than gear -- the most valuable stuff in his book is the philosophy and mindset of walking solo. Every year I re-read parts of that book, so I would obviously recommend it. Most libraries have a copy (I think it's gone through four updates over the years).

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/22/08 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
2. FMRS/GMRS 10+ Mile Range Radio. (Down here there is ALWAYS someone in range that is hunting of fishing that can get you help.)

10-miles, not hardly, don’t believe what’s printed on the package. A ham radio handheld has more power then either FRS or GMRS and it’s only good for a few miles (simplex, no repeater.) If you can reliably get 1-mile out of a GMRS I would be very surprised.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/22/08 01:33 PM

The fact of the matter is that describing FRS or GMRS by their “mile range” is completely useless. The radio’s range will depend on the specific terrain and circumstances of that particular radio’s usage. A better description would simply be the transmit power in wattage. Your better FRS and GMRS radios will have ½-watt power on an FRS channel and 5-watt power on a GMRS channel. These are the upper limits set by the U.S. FCC for these types of radios. (Other countries, e.g. Canada, may have different maximums.)

Generally, 5 watts of transmit power from one radio will have about an equal range of 5 watts from another radio for any given terrain.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/22/08 05:38 PM

Actually, a better comparison would be ERP, or effective radiated power.

There are other factors that can dramatically effect range in addition to terrain and circumstance, those being frequency, height above ground, intermod, multipath, proximal channel ops, solar activity, antenna type/configuration, azimuth, and orientation.

For example, running a 5 watt portable at UHF business band into a magnetic mount 5/8-5/8 loaded coil antenna will give me about the same effective range as a 35 watt dash mounted mobile radio in the same band using a 1/4 wave antenna, given nominal variation in elevation within that range.

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/23/08 12:38 AM

I don’t think GMRS hand held radios are 5-watts when running on internal batteries. I would make a guess they are no more then 1.5 watts when battery powered. GMRS radios may be licensed to operate up to 5-watts by the FCC, but the power the radio would consume at 5-watts would kill a battery very quickly making them much less useful. So they balance the power output with battery life and you end up with a 1-mile radio on simplex.

I don’t think you can expect much more then 1-mile out of a pack radio, and the idea that anyone has their radio on within that range is unrealistic.

If there is a repeater within a few miles, (I don’t know if GMRS frequencies are covered by repeaters) I would think (assuming the repeater antenna is high in the air and in a good location) you could expect to get into a repeater from 5-miles. Hand held to hand held no more then 1-mile.

A ham radio hand held with a repeater guide would probably be a better choice. A 2-meter, radio would be the best choice as it’s the most popular and monitored more then other bands, and has more range then UHF radios.

Posted by: Russ

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/23/08 12:36 PM

My advice? Don't get lost, stay found. How many survival situations have we seen that started out fine and went south fast after the subject got lost. The government has spent $billion$ putting the GPS system into orbit; get an inexpensive GPS and learn how to use that system to find yourself on a real map. Navigate with map and compass.

Non-mapping GPS units work well to determine exactly where you are relative to waypoints or landmarks you program in before you start hiking and during the hike. Otherwise all it gives you is a geo reference (lat-long or UTM) that you need to take to a real map.

Mapping GPS units have the advantage of the map included with the precise position. But you are limited to the info which is in the database. Newer units with memory cards can contain a lot of data but you still need to get in there before you start walking so you aren't surprised to find it lacking when crunch time comes.

The GPS units with electronic compass I've used did a good job at finding true north and were self calibrating. It might be a good idea to have a real compass to compare it to so that if it does screw up you'll know. Otherwise bring lots of extra batteries because the GPS compass works on battery power and it uses as much or more than the GPS receiver. I never use the electronic compass in my GPS, too much battery drain.

I prefer non-mapping GPS units because they're cheaper and universal in that I don't need to worry about which database/memory card is in the unit. A real map and mag compass are the primary nav tools with a small & lightweight GPS (Garmin Geko 301). It's a nice unit in that it's small enough that you can throw it in your pocket and forget about it. If you want, preload visual reference points (mountain peaks and points you expect to pass by) as waypoints so it puts a cheap map on the display.

Get a good fix at your trail-head (& wherever you park your car) and add those as waypoints, waypoints are free. Then turn it off until you need to check/verify your position. Turn it on, check its position against your map's UTM grid and then turn it off. Batteries last a long time in this mode. Some folks like to run their GPS continually so they can see the little bread crumb trail on the display; IMO that's what the map is for. Maps and mag compass don't use batteries.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/23/08 03:30 PM

+1 on staying found. Don't wait until it's too late to stay on top of knowing where you are at all times. A GPS is great for that but a map, compass, and the knowledge to use them is a must have IMO.

I use a GMRS radio to keep in touch with my wife while camping and I've never (despite lots of monitoring and scanning) picked up anybody using within range but us. I keep one handy for SAR work too to monitor the air waves...it's light weight and you can never be sure who might be listening. In reality though you're better off with a good whistle.

Blast had some good ones. I'm a SAR volunteer and I've NEVER considered leaving pictures of my gear and a boot print. Mantracking would be SOOO much easier if we went out knowing what their boot treads looked like!

You're going to find different lists of the 'top essential' items. I feel it's best to be familiar with several as they're all very similar. Many of the items are tiny and easy to carry (like a firesteel or a signal mirror) so there's no excuse for not having them handy. The Boreal Instutute has some good lists I keep around for when I'm trying to lighten my load to remind me which items are worth the weight.

http://www.boreal.net

My personal must have is a gear repair kit. There is nothing worse than being days into the hinterlands and having a pack strap break or the bottom tear out of your pack or a shoe blow out or you get a hole in your tent (the list goes on). We don't all hike with brand new shiny gear and as it wears this becomes even more important...though accidents happen an no gear is impervious to damage. My kit is fairly beefy but that's only because I like to be the boy scout always prepared hero type when I'm out with friends. I can't tell you how many sleeping pads I've patched with nothing more than a mini glue stick and a mini bic. Even if gear repair is nothing more than duct tape and some needles and thread it's better than nothing.

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/23/08 03:46 PM

So is ChrisinAz ever going to come back and take responsibility for triggering this avalanche?

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/23/08 04:10 PM

Leaving a boot print with someone is a great idea, such a simple thing to do.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/23/08 07:57 PM

Reading my own post I can't help but relay a story from my youth about gear repair...it's a bit off topic so sorry in advance.

My brother went on a hiking trip with a very expensive external frame pack (which was the slickest thing going at the time...about 20-25 years ago). He had his food in the bottom of his pack and to keep the bears away from the tent he just wedged the pack on a high branch of a tree. It was off the ground and the boughs protected it from rain...he thought he was so smart.

In the morning there was a gaping 8" hole in the bottom of his pack and the food was gone...the squirrels had all night to go to town on his pack and hide or eat just about everything he had. He had to hike out a day early carrying half of his gear because it wouldn't stay in his pack. He even ended up with a hole in his sleeping bag...some lucky squirrel got to spend the winter in a house lined with down feathers LOL.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/24/08 02:30 AM

(Continuing with the off-topic ...)

Believe it or not, I had a backpack nearly destroyed by porcupines. It seems they are insanely ravenous for salt, so an empty backpack against a tree, with nice sweaty shoulder straps, is a primo snack. I was able to sew/tape things together and finish the trip. But it was an unexpected hazard, to say the least. (Porkys also chew wooden canoes; and munch the edges off plywood trail signs, since the glue contains traces of salt, or so I'm told. I've seen signs with two-thirds of the edges nibbled away ... "DANGER! DO NOT ...." ?????? feed the porcupines, I guess.)

As for squirrels -- they've chewed through multiple layers of nylon and plastic to get at my GORP (good old raisins & peanuts) ... at the TOP of an officially-sanctioned bear pole clad in slippery aluminum. My conclusion: if squirrels ever make an evolutionary leap and start working together, we humans are in serious trouble.
Posted by: Katie

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/24/08 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Believe it or not, I had a backpack nearly destroyed by porcupines. It seems they are insanely ravenous for salt, so an empty backpack against a tree, with nice sweaty shoulder straps, is a primo snack.

Same problem in Glacier NP. We ended up sleeping with our leather boots inside the tent with us. Stinky, but we didn't have chewed boots the next morning. The rangers also told us to pee on a flat rock if possible, so animals don't dig up the soil trying to get to the salt. I was a little suspicious about that advice. I bet they had a big old ranger laugh after we walked out the door, and told the next group that they should pee into the wind, possible...
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/24/08 02:55 PM

I think a SPOT Beacon would do for most solo trips, it has a few drawbacks and you do need to understand the technology behind the Beacon. More importantly make a proper route card and carry basic survival gear with you (means to light a fire, survival knife, first aid kit, compass, etc.).
Posted by: SHawk

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/25/08 03:16 AM

Something that I like to do is leave a change of clean clothing along with snacks, cool drinks and other stuff in the car for my return. It is really nice to be able to change out of stinky clothing for the ride home. i don't have to keep turning around to see if a dead grizzly is in the backseat.
Posted by: Katie

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/25/08 03:20 AM

I think somewhere in the four pages of helpful replies, you guys scared off the OP. smile
Posted by: ohiohiker

Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? - 04/25/08 04:12 AM

The OP is probably still out trying to find and buy all of this stuff, so he no longer has time to post here. smile