Fire (again)?

Posted by: Anonymous

Fire (again)? - 02/01/01 02:42 AM

I saw a survival site that mentioned a "metal match", anyone know what that is, how it works, and perhaps how long it lasts (#strikes)? Sounds interesting, but can't find any more info (yet). <br><br>

Re: Fire (again)? - 02/01/01 03:43 AM

lol "metal match" is just a flint. i think its good for around 115 strike ( i have only 1 not much experienced with it) hold the blade verticle to the flint which is held verticle aplly a little preasure and push down scraping it and boom hot sparkes that leave purple outlines in your eyes appear<br><br>

Re: Fire (again)? - 02/01/01 04:34 AM

I am not sure exactly what you are referring to, but I just received a Firesteel and it is approximately what you describe. It does work extremely well. Mine came on a lanyard with a metal strip that is used for striking. It can be found at www.light-my-fire.se/firesteel.htm. I was a able to find someone on Bladeforums who was selling them. Ten bucks shipped is not a bad deal for something that could possibly save your life! Though I have just received mine and only tried it a few times, I have heard from many that something of the Firesteel variety is far superior to matches and/or a lighter for survival situations.<br><br>Bucky<br><br>

Re: Fire - thanks - 02/01/01 02:53 PM

Thanks Ron and Bucky, the Firesteel looks pretty interesting, small and very useful. Not sure if it was the "metal match" but sounds like what I figured it was.<br><br>

Re: Fire (again)? - 02/14/01 05:01 AM

Fint and Steel are the way to go. If it gets wet no worries. I always carry multiple means to make fire, but preferr using my flint and steel. It teaches you the secret of fire which is preparation and with that you can start a fire in the most extreme of situations. If you are looking for a good source for flint and steel go to www.wildernesssurvival.com, and no there are not to many "s" there lol.<br><br>

Re: Fire - thanks - 02/15/01 04:43 PM

Check out your local Boy Scout Council office store. They sell a product they call Hot Spark Fire Starter. A small rod of man-made flint and a small piece of steel to rub against. Both are smaller than a typical house key. About $2.<br><br>Inexpensive, lightweight, small, and they work.<br><br>

Re: Fire (again)? - 02/17/01 06:48 PM

Four Seasons Permanent Match<br><br>http://www.globetrotter.de/de/htm_shop/detail.php3?artnr=tw-01-201<br><br>its a metal match and used like a real wooden one.<br>works like a fuel lighter <br><br>