Ultralight blanket experience?

Posted by: Kris

Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/30/08 01:34 AM

All,

I'm looking for an ultralight blanket... Something for summer backpacking. I was looking at kifaru's woobie (http://www.kifaru.net/woobie.htm), but since its a poncho liner, i'm assuming it has a hole in the middle like a poncho so they would mate up (never saw a poncho liner before).

Does anyone have any recommendations? If it can serve other purposes as well (i.e. possible padded ground sheet, can zip up and have a sleeping bag, etc) that would be a bonus.

Thanks all,
Kris
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/30/08 01:36 AM

Never tried the woobie (stupid name, IMHO). No, poncho liners don't have holes. They're not intended to be worn while the poncho is being worn. Only to make the poncho into a rubberized blanket.

Can't imagine paying the price tag for a Woobie though; kind of crazy if you ask me.
Posted by: BobS

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/30/08 04:40 AM

Go to WalMart or K-Mart and buy a light blanket for $10.00 or so.
The Woobie is $126.00, Way over priced for what you say you need it for.

The local camping store sells fleece summer sleeping bags for $19.00; I would guess they are good down to 45 or 50 deg. More then enough for a summer night.

Posted by: TXClass

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/30/08 05:41 AM

Poncho Liners are the best I have found and run $35 at my local Army Surplus. Nothing warmer in the same weight class.
Posted by: jasond

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/30/08 07:15 AM

$126.00!!! way too much money. Just get a regular poncho liner. It will run you between $25-35. I have been using the same one for 18 years with no problems.

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/30/08 02:58 PM

Looking on Brigade QM's web site there are two styles of poncho liners... a 'GI Type Poncho Liner', and a 'GI Issue Poncho Liner'. First one being 25 bucks, and the second is 45 bucks. Only difference I can see is that the more expensive one is a bit bigger.

How small can you pack these?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/30/08 09:02 PM

"...'GI Type Poncho Liner'..."

"type" means that it is a copy. Might be an exacty copy, might be pure junk. I would stick with the real thing, it doesn't cost all that much more. I have seen poncho liners advertised what had a diffenent insulation (thinsolate I think, not sure), they were supposedly warmer for about the same weight, but I don't know.

I stuff mine into a small stuff sack, probably six inches in diameter by eight tall, give or take a bit. They are great!!!
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/30/08 11:32 PM

Quote:
I'm looking for an ultralight blanket... Something for summer backpacking

http://www.yetioutfitters.com/bask-super...22cdc12fe6d8aa3

Posted by: LED

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/31/08 12:37 AM

If you're open to $100 mark, might want to look at the Topic traveler from designsalt. Haven't tried these but their silk bag liner is one of the best investments I've ever made. Cold/warm/humid, nothing beats silk IMO.

http://www.designsalt.com/cat_search_res...p;btnSearch.y=9

Posted by: BobS

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/31/08 01:47 AM

John Wayne always used a wool blanket and slept under the stars.
Posted by: duckear

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/31/08 03:33 AM

Kifaru has no head hole. Neither do USGI liners.

The Kifaru is good stuff. Expensive, but made of premium materials in the USA. Lots of folks on their site have used their woobie down to 40 or so.

I do love my USGI woobie!!!!!! But not at 40!!!!!!

Posted by: Stokie

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/31/08 06:47 AM

Hi hope Frenchy chips in here as I know he's bought one of the Kifaru woobie a short time ago. I'm not sure he's tested it yet but I was privileged enough to be shown the woobie and to wrap it round me for a short time. I came away from the experience wanting one. It packs real small, weighs next to nothing and it's warm, real warm. Like I said, I only had it around me for a couple of minutes and I was starting to feel how warm it was even then. I hope Frenchy does a small review to let others know.

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/31/08 11:17 AM

Thanks all for your comments.

I'm torn between an ultralight bag and a blanket/quilt. I know with one, you can unzip and its a blanket, and the other is already a blanket. Guess, just want to try something different and see if it'll work.

On my next order from the states, i'll try out a poncho liner. Then if I have some extra cash, i'll give the woobie a try. I would still like to see some reviews on the woobie before dishing out the cash for something like that, but willing to give it a try after Stokie's comments.

Posted by: benjammin

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/31/08 12:03 PM

Rivers West sells a couple different sized fleece blankets that are waterproof, windproof, and puncture/tear resistant (barb wire tested). It comes with a damn fine warranty as well. Their Artillery blanket looks ideal for what I'd want, but if you need something smaller, their field blanket or their sniper bag might be better. Prices have gone up due to their success and the fact that they have no competition right now.

http://www.riverswest.com/hifi.html

Bass Pro shops has carried their product off and on. RW used to sell direct, but it looks like they've turned their on line sales over to Cascade direct, likely a retailing offshoot that took over the entire retailing on line aspect of the company.

I've got one of their blankets, and not only is it an effective outdoor blanket/ground cover, but it is also the wife's favorite "curl up on the couch and nap" blanket. Mine's 4 years old and still has no holes, no fraying, no problem. I also have a hunting outfit made from the same sort of fabric but in realtree mossy oak print that I absolutely love for the foul weather hunting.
Posted by: Stokie

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/31/08 01:47 PM

Looking back over some old posts (try 2004)and an old friend of the forums BountyHunter had comments on a Jerven Bag.

Not sure this is what you want for carribean ; )

https://jerven-com.secure.flexiweb.no/page/7357/

Stokie.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/31/08 04:08 PM

I didn't see anything on the Riverwest about a blanket. Were you pointing us there because of the clothing?

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/31/08 04:12 PM

Is this the blanket?

https://www.cascadeoutfitters.com/index....55&framein=
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/31/08 04:24 PM

The Rivers West website is a bit automated, in that you are compelled to go to the main web page first, then select hunting gear, then accessories. Sorry I didn't specify, their site has changed some since last I accessed myself.

That blanket in Cascade Outfitters you linked to is not the same as what I am suggesting.

Here's a link to the Cascade Direct Retailer that carries the blanket(s) I am suggesting on-line.

http://store.cascadedirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=474

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/31/08 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Stokie
Looking back over some old posts (try 2004)and an old friend of the forums BountyHunter had comments on a Jerven Bag.

Not sure this is what you want for carribean ; )

https://jerven-com.secure.flexiweb.no/page/7357/

Stokie.

Thanks man... saw that in the past as well. Interesting.

Wish you can camp here on the island, but its too small for that. You can't camp on the beach (illegal - but make exceptions on easter weekend where everyone brings everything to the beaches to live in for 3-4 days), and camping in the 'woods' isn't worth is as we are a sea-level island (meaning its either swamp or jagged stone/coral all over the place).

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 03/31/08 05:19 PM

Thanks.... smile
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 04/01/08 12:39 AM

Here's an ultralight combo, poncho for cover, black contractor bag as ground cloth, and a bivy from EMK. Great summer night, except for maybe the bugs, need some deet too.

Of course, if you use those ultralight bivy's too often, they probably won't hold up. We also sometimes use a fleece bag for summer, I think it was about $15 at the Coleman outlet near us, and it's good for 45 or so with a good base layer on. Also a nice thing in the back of the car in winter.
Posted by: wolfmen

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 04/15/08 05:54 AM

I am using the Woobie every night now, i have NO to regret to pay $128 to buy a liner only. I love it.

Buy and try it, your own experience will tell you whether you keep it or not.

If you think it's not worth to keep it, just put it in 2nd hand market, Kifaru product has high re-sell value.

Wolfmen

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 04/15/08 01:16 PM

Welcome Newguy!!!

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 04/16/08 04:19 PM

Ditto...Welcome newguy! Jump in with both feet and join the party.
Posted by: wolfmen

Re: Ultralight blanket experience? - 04/20/08 04:29 AM

Thank you guys. I am also happy to join this forum. many great threads here.

Here's some pics of my woobie.

Before Compressed

After Compressed

And share some experience

Pro:
-lightweight (1 lb 6 oz)
- Good compressed
- Quick to get warm. If you will use it around 50F, you better wear the mid-weight under layer.
-Durable :so far the fabric and insulation have no problem (I have used the woobie for 6 months)

Con:
- Expensive
- the fabric is "slippery"

thank you

Wolfmen