Where to find a new tobacco tin?

Posted by: jcurphy

Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 03/27/08 03:09 PM

I'm interested in creating my own PSK, and would like to know where I can purchase a new tobacco tin? Everything I've seen online is an antique? Any help is appreciated - thanks!
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 03/27/08 03:27 PM

Look up cigarette cases or playing card cases....There is a ton of stuff out there.

Actually, a cigar case would make a pretty cool urban PSK. I just one made out of carbon fiber; only $70!
Posted by: Jackal

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 03/27/08 03:28 PM

uk seller of 2oz tins

http://www.roll-ups.co.uk/ishop/879/shopscr3143.html

ebay seller

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2oz-Plain-tobacco-...1QQcmdZViewItem
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 03/27/08 03:38 PM

Welcome NewGuy!

Lots of tin containers around to recycle; althoids, Fishermans Friend, tackleboxes, tobacco containers, gun cleaning kits, candy/cookie tins, etc.

You may have the right idea about starting out new with the right sized container, as I am overrun with ones I have scrounged.

Some nice containers can be found on retail Survival Equipment websites like this one http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/Misc.Conatiners.htm

Good Luck, building a PSK can be a lot of useful fun.

Mike

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 03/27/08 03:39 PM

Sorry...Forgot to welcome you. Welcome NewGuy!!!!

(Thanks SwampDonkey for the reminder to be friendly)

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 03/27/08 03:49 PM

If you are looking for something along the lines of what SwampDonkey pointed you to in regards to the mess kits go to your local Blue Demon Mega Retailer and buy a set of three mini loaf pans for about $6 and experiment with that size. That way you can give one or two away as presents!!!

I got the mini loaf pan idea from www.M4040.com He has a decent article and photos of the kit.

Posted by: thtimster

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 03/28/08 04:03 PM

The least expensive way is to luck into one at a yard sale. If you know any pipe smokers, you might get one that way. Also try a smoke shop that caters to pipe smokers. If they don't have an empty can you might consider buying a cheap brand in a can (since it's the can you want anyway) & give or toss the tobacco away. This might be cheaper than buying a can thru the internet plus shipping.

An alternative can would be a Sucrets can. They are making one called 'Sucrets Complete' which is a can somewhat larger than the regular Sucrets can (or Altoids.) Check the medicine aisles.

If you can find any of the old Bandaids cans (Again, try yard sales) some of them are roughly the same size as tobacco can, & would make an appropiate FAK container.

If you come across any of the 'Fossil Watch' tins those could make a nice PSK container. Some are hinged & some aren't.

Good luck seaching,
Tim
Posted by: Colourful

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 03/28/08 04:12 PM

And get rid of sugar or tobacco smell by washing it well. Odors will attract bears and other critters.

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 03/28/08 04:33 PM

Hey thtimster,

Thanks for the tip on the larger Sucrets Can.

I am now experimenting with 2 sizes of Keen's Mustard Cans for use as a Survival Kit Container.

They can be seen here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keen's .

They are bright yellow and red in colour which is good. The top is on the small side therefore they will be a little difficult to assemble with PSK stuff, but will make a better cooking container than a flip-top altoids type.

The side seams hold water but I have not tested them over a fire yet, metal muffer tape helps seal a questionable seam.

Specially coffee and tea tins are also good small metal PSK containers.

Mike

Posted by: thtimster

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 03/28/08 06:06 PM

Hi SwampDonkey,

Your suggestion of the Keen's Mustard Cans is excellent. Even if I couldn't find that exact container locally, there is a European market that is in my town that imports lots of their products in tins as well. It would be ideal if some of these tins would have some sort of gasket seal at the rim to make them watertight. Do tobacco tins have this feature?

Icebreakers has been selling a breathfreshener in a tall tin that would make a good container for waterproof matches &/or a ferro rod.

Tim

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 03/28/08 09:06 PM

Good evening Tim,

The Keens Mustard tins do not have a lid gasket. The larger container has a top that comes off well, the smaller containers top is difficult to remove. They would both need to be sealed with tape after the PSK stuff is added.

Some tobacco tins have a small rubber gasket seal in the lid (nice), most candy/mint tins do not.

I have an addiction to PSK container collecting!

Mike
Posted by: 11BINF

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 03/30/08 11:50 PM

hi Jcurphy ..you can find new/clean empty tabacco tins at a place called "Best Glide" (i think its listed here in the retailers suppiers listing)they provide a whole range of hard to find survival equipment to folks who fly etc here in the U.S.A....i for one use the S.A.S survival theme and also have a real tabacco tin for my PSK (i dislike the altoids tin ,its to darn small for me)and also use a survival pouch for larger items..good luck and train with your kit...vince g. 11b inf...
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 03/31/08 02:55 AM

Another alternative would be to use a Nestle's Quick container. They come in several sizes so you can choose the size of your kit by the size of the container. Bright yellow plastic which is good for finding it if dropped in the dark or inside your bag. Easily sealable with some tape. Me and my buddy make some FAKs out of these a while back, works well IMO. And there is the bonus of tasty chocolate milk while emptying the can laugh although there is also strawberry and I believe vanilla(the vanilla is usually in the hispanic specialty foods section wink

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: goon

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 04/28/08 02:00 AM

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but www.trackofthewolf.com has brass snuffboxes that might serve your purpose.
Other than that, get a can of maya dust and reuse the can.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(so5o1j551cw1r0qzaiczwv45))/categories/partList.aspx?catID=17&subID=105&styleID=396

One other option - look around for a round Daisy .22 caliber pellet box. They are about the size of a snuff can but they have a screw on lid.
Posted by: leemann

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 04/28/08 02:41 AM

You could try a Witz container or Otterbox,Pelican case. And hello to the forums New Guy.

Lee
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 04/28/08 11:48 PM

Check your local headshop.

And remember to look at camera and drive cases. Not as hard, but larger and less expensive than a tin of tobacco.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? - 04/29/08 01:01 PM

Best Glide has them: