Waterproof Daypack

Posted by: ch451

Waterproof Daypack - 03/26/08 01:44 AM

Hello,
First Post, I’ve been around for awhile just never posted, I really like this forum a lot, you’re all a great bunch!
Need some help. Looking for a Waterproof role top Day Pack.
I am trying to find a bag I saw on Man vs. Wild in the episode “Patagonia” where Bear makes a raft a tries to cross some lake, in the middle he starts to sink, so he puts his gloves and fleece in the bag a swims to shore. Everything stayed dry. Anyone know what brand / model it is? It was a roll top, like a dry bag but it did not look like the material (PVC) more like a gore-tex or nylon. I would prefer something more than a topical dry bag with straps. I’ve checked out the Arc'teryx Naos and I don’t think that is it. I am looking for more of a day pack. If anyone has any advise that would be great.
ch
Posted by: BobS

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 03/26/08 02:27 AM

Take a look here to see if this is what you may need

http://www.seallinegear.com/packs.asp?Category=PacksDuffles

I use several Sealine bags for canoeing and have been happy with them.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 03/26/08 02:30 AM

Welcome Newguy!

Sorry, I don't watch that show, so I can't help you...
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 03/26/08 02:40 AM

Hey ch451,

Like BobS I also use a large Sealine waterproof pack and have had good success with it.

Welcome to the Forum, this is a fun place to learn!

Mike
Posted by: Blast

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 03/26/08 12:04 PM

Hey, welcome to the fire newguy!

-Blast
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 03/26/08 12:22 PM

ch451,
Check out Watershed bags, I have several duffles and one backpack.
These bags are the absolute best investment I have made. Lifetime warranty, waterproof below 200 feet, awesome company to deal with. You put anything in these bags and when you see these bags these are hardcore. You won't have wet cloths in these bags, these are very tough and durable bags that seal, not that roll up and clip garbage. These are designed for water ops. I highly recommend, these are the bags that when you get one it's hard to buy only one. I have 4 now for many things, bob, camping gear, etc..
If you do get one, add the valve to it, it's worth it equalizing pressure at depth and conserving space while prolonging your stuff.

http://www.drybags.com/home.html

Posted by: benjammin

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 03/26/08 12:35 PM

I've seen nylon stuff sack style dry-bags at Walmart for $10 for a three pack. They are made from woven nylon with a roll top closure and are supposed to be watertight. The biggest of the three appeared large enough to hold a pair of hiking boots or maybe a bit bigger.
Posted by: Lono

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 03/26/08 02:57 PM

Those Watershed bags look nice. For comparison only, check out the Outdoor Research OR Drycomp Summit sack, 30L size 12 oz and $59 at REI and similar outdoor gear stores. http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/drycomp_summit_sack.html They operate like most waterproof roll-tops, and have kept my summit gear dry when I've used it (all of 3 times in rain or snow). Small and light enough to pack in a bigger backpack and haul out as a daypack. The shoulder straps are not very large or padded, but your packweight is intended to be relatively small (but crucial to keep dry) so it has not been an issue. OR has a good rep for the gear they make, like other waterproof bags, gaiters, excellent mitts and gloves, outerwear, bivvies and the Seattle Sombrero. "Not intended to be submerged for extended periods of time" which may push you towards the Watershed bags for your adventure lake-crossing a la Grylis.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 03/26/08 03:11 PM

ch451,

No clue 'cuz I'm starting this whole thing myself.

I just wanted to welcome you to the fire. There is a great deal of info here. The group is a really good bunch.

I encourage you to search the previous postings for information. I was surprised, in a good way, at the amount of stuff available in them.

Again, welcome to the party and jump in with both feet! (Mixed metaphors, sorry)
Posted by: EHCRain10

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 03/26/08 03:29 PM

ill second the bags found at walmart in the three pack, mine have served me well and for the price they are hard to beat

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 03/27/08 02:03 AM

The Watershed bags web site sucks, there is a real lack of info on how well the bags work. And the “Our story” page has small pictures that don’t convey much info and the print is too small. It looks like they only want the web site for an order form. But you have to make a good sales pitch before you can expect to make a sale of hundreds of dollars for a bag.

Sorry, being self employed and the chief marketing expert in my company (as I’m the only one working here) I tend to notice bad marketing.

That site does not inspire me to want to send them money.
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 03/28/08 12:20 AM

BobS, II just read your post and yes there website sux, but there product is awesome. I just bought a deck bag for a trip to keep larger items waterproof to 200 feet. If you are interested in their product to see it better I can make a video of one of my bags and post it if you want. Just let me know. I'm not a fan of the roll up dry bags due to deep submersion leaks. The watershed bags use a closure system identical but thicker than the Nasa old SCAPE suits before they went to zippers. I like this over zippers for the non metallic signature and durability of the product. I've been so happy with these bags I have bought 4 and another on the way.

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 03/28/08 02:56 AM

I would guess that they probably good bags, but the people that make them don’t do a very good job of saying that on the web site. I would not give them much of a look after a quick look at the web site. Your personal recommendation got me to look at them, but they don’t really explain the product or how it works very well on the web site. You click on a backpack and all it gives you is the size and weight & price. It’s their web site, they can say anything they want, but they choose to tell you almost nothing?

Don’t bother with a video, I have dial up for the next few months and videos don’t work for me.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 04/01/08 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
I've seen nylon stuff sack style dry-bags at Walmart for $10 for a three pack. They are made from woven nylon with a roll top closure and are supposed to be watertight. The biggest of the three appeared large enough to hold a pair of hiking boots or maybe a bit bigger.

The Wallyies in these parts carry a pretty good generic copy of a high quality roll-top dry-bag sold under the Coghlan's name. These are a fairly heavy yellow PVC reinforced with a polyester or nylon scrim. They are asking about $17. I have two. I bought three and had to return one before I used it because a seam wasn't welded correctly. Their quality control is minimal so it pays to check closely before you buy. The first two and the replacement third were all good and , with the exception of where a knife was carelessly packed and sliced a hole they have worn well.

These are not expedition weight. But for moderate camping in friendly surroundings and single use in a disaster they are perfectly adequate. I converted one to a day pack by gluing on patches I got from Defender, intended for adding mounting points to an inflatable dinghy, and stringing 1" webbing and nylon buckles from the local trail shop as shoulder straps and a belt.

All told I guess this pack cost me about $40. It isn't good enough for a major expedition through the Amazon but for a long weekend hiking through the local swamps it serves.

Target also sells a workable version of a roll-top dry-bag under the Coleman brand. It is a bit thinner clear PVC with a polyester or nylon scrim for reinforcement. I have one but haven't used it much but it is watertight, I tested it out of curiosity, and the seams feel well put together. This isn't up to the same standard as the name brand dry-bags but for lighter duty or shorter duration it sure beats a thin coated nylon stuff sack or a garbage bag for being watertight and durable.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 04/02/08 12:13 AM

I've used Cabella's "Boundary Waters" bags, they are pretty well made. I haven't tried the backpack version, only the duffle bag, but, they do make one that's daypack size:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?cmView=full&type=pod&id=0031809
Posted by: ch451

Re: Waterproof Daypack - 04/02/08 02:31 AM

Thank you to everyone who has posted. I still would like to find out what pack Bear had but I will look into all of the ideas given. thanks to all!