Survivor man goes green and off the grid..

Posted by: falcon5000

Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/21/08 12:10 AM

A very good video from Les of getting off the grid.

http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=l1uaxqjgsg
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/21/08 01:42 AM

Damn it, videos don't work well on a slower than dialup aircard!!!
Posted by: Paragon

Re: Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/21/08 02:53 AM

The first five minutes looks interesting -- I'll look forward to watching the whole video this weekend when I have more time.

So what's the black band that Les is wearing on his right elbow?

Jim
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/21/08 03:33 AM

"Off the Grid with Les Stroud" a pretty good video. However, unfortunately it's all about the build-up to going off-grid and not much regarding the outcome.

Don't get me wrong, I love following the family as they turn an old house and a chunk of land into an off-grid home, but I would like to have seen more after everything had been completed with some commentary on whether it was everything they wanted, where they could have done better and so on.
Posted by: jasond

Re: Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/21/08 11:29 PM

I thought this was a really good video, they did some really interesting things. I can't say Iwould go as far as they did but the solar panels are definately something I am going to look into.
Posted by: BobS

Re: Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/22/08 05:27 AM

Living off-grid sounds great, but it takes probably $100.000 or more to make it a reality and then an ongoing expense of batteries and other item that ware out and other items that the power company pays for when you are on-grid, that you now have to fix and replace immediately when they break, if you want your power back on. The power company has these in stock to get power back on right away, to do the same you should lay in a stock of spare parts. Or be prepared to spend weeks without power as you wait for parts or be ready to feed a generator for several weeks or more.

For most people it’s a dream more then a reality.

A Jacobs’s home wind generator system cost start at $50.000; add to that solar electric panels, solar water heaters, and solar air heaters. And control circuits, monitoring equipment, wiring (expensive in itself as it needs to handle lots of DC amperage) and a battery bank. And on top of all that you should be a jack-of-all-trades to install it and understand how it works and how diagnose a problem and then fix it. Plus I would imagine you need ins coverage for those spinning blades if they ever came off in a high wind and took out part of your neighbors house.

It all takes a lot of money.

Grid systems can start to look pretty good after you sit down and understand the commitment of time, money and knowledge needed to live off-grid.

A more practical (and realistic for most of us) is a backup power source for when the grid is down.

And maybe a supplemental solar / wind system to offset some of the grid power.

Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/22/08 06:11 PM

I was looking at the cost of total solar for where I will be living. $80,000 (US). That is more than the house!!! Even with the state rebate it runs half that. Still a ton of cash.

The problem in some areas is that you cannot do all the work yourself. You to hire the extortionists because apparently a union guy is the only one that is "smart enough" to read the directions.

GGRRR!
Posted by: BobS

Re: Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/22/08 11:25 PM

I would think you would be able to install most of the stuff yourself and have it inspected to make sure it’s up to code.

But with the way government works it would not surprise me that you may need parts of it done by others.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/23/08 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Paragon

Jim

yea I was wondering the same thing... anyone know?? pleeze!!
Posted by: NorCalDennis

Re: Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/25/08 04:08 AM

We recently installed a grid tied system that is off-grid capable should we encounter an extended power outage. After our rebate the system cost us about $40K installed. We have about zero'd out our electric bill and could easlisy survive days with out power or sunlight to refresh the batteries - we have the ability to run our portable generator through the system to charge the batteries.

With some conservation, and a few peak hours of sun light a day, we could function in our home with no forseen problems. I don't know about the complexities of wind turbines, but the solar system is fairly maintenance free. We went with AGM batteries that do not require checking fluid levels (etc) and should last us about 10 years if we don't let them run down below 50%.

I am still waiting to see if our County Assessor's office will decide that our 'improvement' requires them to up our tax basis - this would wipe out the cash savings on our utility bill and the system will never pay for itself.

There is a comfort level though, and in some respects we installed this system as a hedge against where energy rates are going.
Posted by: Paul D.

Re: Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/27/08 01:12 AM

I don't know what it is specifically, but it's medical. I've seen them before and always assumed they were for some sort of elbow injury; sort of like a knee brace.

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
Originally Posted By: Paragon

Jim

yea I was wondering the same thing... anyone know?? pleeze!!
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/27/08 03:25 AM

It's the usual treatment for "Tennis Elbow"
Posted by: Paragon

Re: Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/27/08 09:53 AM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
It's the usual treatment for "Tennis Elbow"

That was actually my first thought also, as I have an elastic arm band that is somewhat similar. I was under the impression that its function is simply to dampen vibrations that would otherwise reach the elbow while playing tennis, so I don't understand the purpose of wearing it full time.

Jim
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Survivor man goes green and off the grid.. - 03/27/08 03:24 PM

Having a bit of a wonky left elbow myself let guess a little based on my experience. When I hold my arm in the crooked (90 degree) position with any amount of weight the tendons fatigue quickly. When I wish to straighten my arm I have to first drop my shoulder to change the angle and stresses. Then the arm will straighten without the risk of dropping the object. In my case the tendons and nerves are out of position a little; probably the result of some choke escape drills in karate. My orthopedic surgeon said he could fix it in about 15 minutes, and $4,000. All that to say this: the black band most likely keeps pressure in the tendons so he doesn't have to do the fandangle that I go through.

Final note: The black band probably has nothing to do with living off the grid.