Posted by: redflare

Rating of survival kits - 03/20/08 05:28 AM

Doug's kit is second only to NASA's Ejection seat kit! smile

http://www.oobject.com/category/survival-kits/
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/20/08 12:37 PM

Neat site.

It's #1 now.

Anybody know who makes the survival kit in a knife handle knife featured in the same list? The links don't seem to work for me. that knife is the first one piece hollow handle knife I've ever seen with an even remotely ergonomic handle.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/20/08 01:44 PM

Try this , it should at least point you in the right direction...
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/20/08 01:44 PM

Hacksaw, its a Rob Simonich build. Model is called the Aurora. Knife is 13 3/4" over all. 8 3/8" clip point blade with an effective cutting edge of 7 1/4". 1/4" A-2 barstock with micarta handles.

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: JIM

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/20/08 02:45 PM

Quote:
It's #1 now.

Of course it is... It's DR's kit wink
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/20/08 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BillLiptak
its a Rob Simonich build.

Which means finding one is not going to be easy, at all. I am pretty sure, he died a few years ago. So you'd probably need to find one that someone else bought and persuade them to part with it.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/20/08 03:14 PM

Thanks for the link OBG. I like the concept but I'm not a fan of huge giant knives like that...definately not enough to go out with a roll of bills and convince a collector to part with his.
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/20/08 03:19 PM

Yes he did, tragic car crash if I remember correctly. I know his "gunner grips" for 1911 and their clones are still being manufactured, don't know about his line of knives.

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/20/08 07:00 PM

Curiousity took over and I went looking. Apparently, Simonich Knives is still a functioning concern. See: http://www.simonichknives.com/

I did not see that model on the website, but I'm not sticking my neck out and saying they don't have it. The site references Rob, mentions something as one of his last designs, and seems to be run by "Christine Simonich."
Posted by: BobS

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/20/08 07:22 PM

How many times do you really use a knife that big? I have a big Cold Steel knife, but I never use it. It's packed away someplace right now. I mostly use a Swiss Army Knife and a Case pocket knife that has a 3 inch blade.

I wouldn't know what to do with that big thing...
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/20/08 07:29 PM

Dugg.
Posted by: Stokie

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/21/08 05:15 AM

Number 8, looks interesting, the japanese home rescue kit. The link goes to a blog but no reference to a manufacture or suppliers site. Anyone know more?
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/22/08 12:23 AM

Maybe if I'm real good DW will talk Santy Claus into bringing me one for Christmas laugh
Posted by: RobertRogers

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/22/08 11:05 AM

I still think you should consider making your own, tailor made to your unique needs, skills, and experience.
Posted by: JIM

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/22/08 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: RobertRogers
I still think you should consider making your own, tailor made to your unique needs, skills, and experience.

Very true, but some people just don't take the effort.. frown Or they use a pre-made kit as a base and add items to it.
Posted by: OIMO

Re: Rating of survival kits - 03/22/08 08:37 PM

Re the No.8 The Japanese Home Extraction kit, from Googling the image title I found this on another site:

"Article Excerpt
Tokyo based Optima has released "Team Rescue" a 10 item emergency rescue kit..."

However, unfortunately, that is it, the link it goes to no longer has the content. Maybe someone with a grasp of Japanse might get further looking for them.