Load-Bearing Vest

Posted by: Anonymous

Load-Bearing Vest - 03/15/08 02:54 AM

What is the best LBV you have used and why?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Load-Bearing Vest - 03/15/08 03:00 AM

Never had one I liked, sorry...
Posted by: BobS

Re: Load-Bearing Vest - 03/15/08 04:23 AM

What is a "Load-Bearing Vest"?
Posted by: jasond

Re: Load-Bearing Vest - 03/15/08 11:41 AM

I have never used one that I have liked. They are either too movement restrictive or hold in too much heat. I'm sure there are good ones out there somewhere but I have sure haven't found one.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Load-Bearing Vest - 03/15/08 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: BobS
What is a "Load-Bearing Vest"?

It's the vest that the military or SWAT teams use to carry their goodies: ammo, water, grenades, etc. If you ever catch Stargate, it's the black thing they all wear over their green uniform.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Load-Bearing Vest - 03/16/08 05:15 PM

IMHO, based upon decades of poor fashion choices:
I believe that the load-bearing vest falls into the same general category as headlamps and protective eyewear: useful but too ugly/uncomforatble/geeky-looking to use in any but the worst possible conditions. But, I am a vest guy, married to a dw who tolerates my u/u/gl behaviors. Therefore I have some experience with the following:

Filson vests:
Several varieties, several pockets, durable enough to be part of your estate.
http://www.mnworkwear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MNW&Category_Code=FV

Safari photography/travel vests;
More pockets. geekier. cheaper. less durable, worn by journalists on assignment in Baghdad. looks good on them. Does not look good worn anywhere else.
http://walkabout.com/shop/coat-ff-vest.asp?gclid=CJrluO2XkpICFShMGgod6xRE_Q

Tactical vests:
Worn by LEO enforcing warrants and military personnel. looks good on them. Does not look good worn anywhere else.
http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-t5-tv-80001.html

Fishing vess:
Used by fisherman to carry equipment while wading. Tackle boxes tend to float way.looks good on them. Does not look good worn anywhere else.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/204_Fishing-Vests-and-Jackets.html

Mountain/fleece/insulated vest.
Fashion accessories. People actually wear these in social circumstance.
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0047901920565a.shtml

The theory is that vests store items for immediate access, and can be worn all the time. Rucks, fanny packs, briefcases and purses store things in a less accessible fashion, and are more likely to be separated from the user. One does not look sleek in a load-bearing vest, and one does looks like a 'person of interest' to leos in when they are worn out of their context.
The ideal container for survival equipment is probably a laptop computer case: lots of them around, lots of pockets, and they do not look threatening.
I have acquired each of these vets at one point or another, and have gotten actual use out of the first and last categories. Filson vests are suitable for business wear, and fleece/down vests for casual wear. Most can bear some load. Disclaimer: I have never sold a vest,and have no commercial interest in any of the vendors listed.

Posted by: cfraser

Re: Load-Bearing Vest - 03/16/08 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: nursemike

IMHO, based upon decades of poor fashion choices:
I believe that the load-bearing vest falls into the same general category as headlamps and protective eyewear: useful but too ugly/uncomforatble/geeky-looking to use in any but the worst possible conditions.

Do I ever agree with you there! It is also just my nature that I don't like to attract a lot of attention, whatever I'm doing, and a multi-pocket vest or usually ANY vest is not typical in public. I have too much closet space devoted to vests that "looked good" when I bought them, but they really have little use when in civilization for me. I wear them in the woods/fishing or at home. But you never know...30+ years ago when I was in school, carrying a backpack there would get you the same looks as wearing a multi-pocket vest today would...start a trend, maybe I'll live long enough to benefit from it!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Load-Bearing Vest - 03/16/08 11:29 PM

"... Does not look good worn anywhere else..."

That pretty much says it all...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Load-Bearing Vest - 03/17/08 12:47 AM

By LBV, I'm assuming you mean something more than just a safari/photo vest.

I like one that is as open as possible- what isn't pouches doesn't need to have material under it. But it also shouldn't LOOK tactical. Avoid anything that looks like it was worn on Stargate- unless it is halloween. Avoid black, avoid camo- OD, tan, coyote, foliage are the best bet. The fewer pockets, the better- a bunch of small pockets looks more "interesting" and one or two large ones on each side. Try to keep it as much as possible the same color, at least your pockets, with the straps a contrasting but close color if they they can't match, so they look like "trim".

My personal pick is the Tactical Tailor MAV. It can be swung around and worn as a lumbar pack- it becomes invisible at that point. And with a large pocket on each side, and a pair of small ones for pint water bottles, it looks almost like a fishing vest. Add fleece patches to the front of the large pockets, I doubt anyone who isn't a hard core gear junky would see it for what it is.
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: Load-Bearing Vest - 03/17/08 02:56 AM

I really like the one made by http://www.dropzonetactical.com/ I really like the flexibility of it. Decent fell when you are wearing it or crawling around.
Posted by: MtnRescue

Re: Load-Bearing Vest - 03/17/08 03:21 PM

Here's my SAR vest, a Medical Trauma Vest manufactured by AWS, Inc., in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

It's a pretty decent vest being used on field training events and wilderness SAR missions/rescues for a couple of years. It's comfortable, easily adapts to bulky clothing by adjusting the draw strings, carries a fair amount of my essential SAR kit items in the pockets and "Made in the U.S.A." I wore it this past weekend during our two day wilderness survival and safety exercise. The large pocket flaps kept the contents dry even during the downpouring rains on Sat night into Sun morning.
Posted by: Nomad

Re: Load-Bearing Vest - 03/17/08 05:42 PM

I love vests. Yes, they look weird, but as I near 70, I just don't care what others think about the way I dress. Over the years I have used many, and my choice seems to change with my activities.

When I was doing SAR in Maine, the vest was pretty tactical. Just what I needed to get the job done. Now that I am just an old duffer wandering around the back country, my vest is simpler.

Still, I love being able to get to an item without setting a pack down and rummaging through it. I just open the appropriate pocket and grab. Also I find I am MUCH less likely to drop an item. Too easy for something to work its way out of the pack when I am looking for something else.

I don't wear it into Wal-Mart or other such places, but not because of the look. It is just a bit heavy and I take it off as soon as I get back to the vehicle.

My advice is to get what works for you and don't worry about how it looks. The motto of the design world is "Form Follows Function."

Re: Load-Bearing Vest - 03/17/08 09:32 PM

It's my wife's . . . really. I used it that day to take some photos for my vest for a review.

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Firstly awesome vest.

Secondly...why do you have a mannequin?

Re: Load-Bearing Vest - 03/17/08 09:34 PM

Good points. I went with a vest because I like having certain items handy and hated taking my SAR pack off each time I needed something. I have a number of teammates, sign cutters, who like using fly fishing vests.

Originally Posted By: Nomad
I love vests. Yes, they look weird, but as I near 70, I just don't care what others think about the way I dress. Over the years I have used many, and my choice seems to change with my activities.

When I was doing SAR in Maine, the vest was pretty tactical. Just what I needed to get the job done. Now that I am just an old duffer wandering around the back country, my vest is simpler.

Still, I love being able to get to an item without setting a pack down and rummaging through it. I just open the appropriate pocket and grab. Also I find I am MUCH less likely to drop an item. Too easy for something to work its way out of the pack when I am looking for something else.

I don't wear it into Wal-Mart or other such places, but not because of the look. It is just a bit heavy and I take it off as soon as I get back to the vehicle.

My advice is to get what works for you and don't worry about how it looks. The motto of the design world is "Form Follows Function."