Water Bottle of my dreams

Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/14/08 06:54 PM

I finally found it..........for your viewing pleasure, try not to drool on your keyboard........LOL

$21.00

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wiggys.com/images/SSWB.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wiggys.com/category.cfm%3FCategory%3D1%26CFID%3D4423088%26CFTOKEN%3D765&h=224&w=208&sz=10&hl=en&start=9&um=1&tbnid=UM7R3lYfRymRJM:&tbnh=108&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstainless%2Bsteel%2Bwater%2Bbottle%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

32 oz. Just ordered 2, plus the cups, cups are $6.00, they have a water tight removable seal, they come with two in case you lose one or happen to forget when you toss it in the fire....lol. They should be here in 4 days.

Some what larger view also says 2.25 in wide mouth.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dhki.com/Defense/images/p_solbotle_img2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dhki.com/Defense/p_solbotle.htm&h=169&w=100&sz=5&hl=en&start=107&um=1&tbnid=X9nz6r2oJ9Y3TM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=59&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwide%2Bmouth%2Bstainless%2Bsteel%2Bwater%2Bbottle%26start%3D100%26ndsp%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/14/08 08:04 PM

That does look nice and like it will be useful. Please let us know how it does when you get a chance to road test it!!!!
Posted by: Susan

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/14/08 08:10 PM

Always the narrow neck... sigh.

Is it so impossible to make a single-wall steel water bottle with a wide mouth? It would be so much more useful.

Sue
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/14/08 08:25 PM

http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?Category=1&CFID=4423088&CFTOKEN=765
Posted by: Blast

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/14/08 08:55 PM

Wow! Now I just have to convince the DW that THIS is the perfect water bottle. It'd be a lot easier to do if I hadn't already done that 10 times. blush

Some collect pots, I collect water carriers...

-Blast
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/14/08 09:20 PM

Looks interesting, although couldn't one just use a canteen cup as the US military has for quite some time? I know you can get titanium ones that will fit around a standard Nalgene bottle. It seems like the all steel water bottle would be heavy. Anyone know how much the Wiggy's one weighs? I wish they would post tech specs and the ability to click on the photo to get a larger photo.

From Wiggy's Sept/Oct 2003 newsletter:
A NEW PRODUCT

During a hunting trip in 1995 I managed to get myself lost. It was an interesting experience to say the least. I was hunting the Fossil Ridge Wilderness area north and east of Gunnison, CO. in early November. On the evening of the forth day out I strayed to far to the north east of where I was supposed to end up the day. So, I spent what turned out to be the first night out. During my search for my way home (back to base camp) I met two young men who said we could go back to their camp. That was all well and good, except they were as it turned out also lost.
At about two o’clock in the afternoon it started to snow, and when you are located at 12,000 feet the snowfall can get heavy very quickly and it did. In our travels we passed a number of streams and I started to consume as much water as I could. I did not have a canteen of any sort with me. The boys did and I encouraged them to drink as much as possible too, and to keep their canteens filled. When night came and it does in the mountains during November very early, we set up a camp in a thicket of spruce trees. I was very comfortable but they were freezing. Aside from not having food we didn’t have any more water, and filling their canteen with snow to melt was not an option. Their canteens were plastic, so we couldn’t put them in the fire to melt the snow.
The out come of this adventure was positive; they found my camp after meeting Rudy (my guide) and Rudy found me.
Now that I had the experience I decided what was needed was a single wall stainless steel water bottle. Something that could be put in a fire to melt snow. I started a search that lasted until this past summer. Imagine not even finding a Chinese factory that would make a product for me. However, I did find a company in California of all places that has made them for me. They are polished stainless steel inside and out with a stainless screw on lid. It is important that the inside be polished to make it safe and sterile. The lid is held to the canteen by a stainless steel chain. Best of all whether or not you are lost, if you need water and you have snow as a source, fill the canteen and place it in a fire.
There is a stainless steel cup and it all fits into our military style, and military tested insulated carrying case. See enclosure.

See also http://wiggys.com/legacy/sept-oct03.cfm?

UPDATE
From the Wiggy's website:
"...water bottles would freeze up but I was able to thaw them out directly on wood stoves."
Now that is something I hadn't thought about. In winter with stainless, you could set the whole frozen thing in the fire or on a stove. In really cold wx that could really be nice. Even a good thermos will eventually freeze solid. Being able to apply direct heat would be a big advantage.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/14/08 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan
Always the narrow neck... sigh.

Is it so impossible to make a single-wall steel water bottle with a wide mouth? It would be so much more useful.

Sue

Check out http://www.guyotdesigns.com/stainlessbottles?sc=11
Posted by: LED

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/14/08 11:22 PM

Nice. Is it rounded on the bottom or is there a seam?

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/14/08 11:32 PM

Not sure, as soon as I get them I'll post a review, as far as the guyot designs the only problem I see with those is you can put them in a fire, the plastic is sure to melt, unless of course you take the lid and any other plastic off, but then thats why I decided on the one I posted the whole thing can be placed in the fire or on a stove.

As far as the weight goes, if its to heave It will look good sitting next to all my other that I don't carry.....lol
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/14/08 11:43 PM

This is a wonderful solution to a non-existent problem. I cannot ever recall having to put any kind of canteen in or near the fire or even considering doing such a thing. If I have a metal cup that fits around my water bottle (last time I looked, I had four, three SS and one ti) why would I ever want to heat up my water bottle in stead of using my metal cup? On a normal trip, I usually have some sort of larger metal pot, as well.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/14/08 11:51 PM

OPTIONS MY MAN,OPTIONS

I always carry either a mess kit or GI Canteen with cup, It's always nice to have options though "Isn't It"? I'm not planning on throwing it in a fire either, again options. And besides I thought it was cool and I wanted it and I have the money so I bought it. And I'll probably buy other things, "Just because I can" and their cool and have multi uses.

Now all I have to do is find a couple reasonably priced molle pouches to carry them on my BFM or Hawg

Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/15/08 12:30 AM

Hi Hikin_jim

Quote:
Their canteens were plastic, so we couldn’t put them in the fire to melt the snow.

This guy could have just made a Finnish Marshmellow (snowball on a stick) to melt the snow to fill up his plastic canteen.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/15/08 12:45 AM

And what, the snow melt would run down the stick into the canteen? Or would one get the snow to slush a bit and the squeeze it into the canteen?

The only difficulty I see with the Finnish Marshmallow is that it would be hard (I would think) to keep the snow ball on the stick. As it melts, it would slough off into the fire, would it not? Or is there a trick to it? Have you actually tried it and made it work? Might be a really good survival technique.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/15/08 01:06 AM

The idea is to make a snowball about 18 inches in diameter and then push a curved stick through the centre. This then props up the snowball above the container which is going to be used to collect the water beside the fire. Even something like a plastic polybag bag arranged inside a boot can be used as the container. Additional sticks can be used to prop up the snowball in a tripod fashion if further support is required. The radiant heat from the fire, which would be about 1-2 feet away is enough to slowly melt the surface of the snow ball. The water just drips from the bottom surface of the snow ball.

If the container is made from plastic or leather then a small radiant barrier may be required to stop the container melting from the heat of the fire. This could be constructed from a small wall of sticks. A larger wall reflector made from sticks and aluminium foil can also be built on the opposite side of the fire to improve the efficiency of the fires radiant heat reflected towards the elevated snowball.

Posted by: AyersTG

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/15/08 01:09 AM

Ah, well I sure have - as recently as January this year. And I take some pains to avoid that (completely frozen bottle / canteen). I can solve a frozen water bottle problem, but it's a lot less effort with a metal single wall container and an open fire or wood burning stove (OK - Yukon stove running MoGas worked fine, too <grin>).

It's not a non-existent problem for some of us - just something to deal with when it happens. YMMV!

Tom

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/15/08 01:15 AM

FWIW, all those nifty no-pot snow-melting techniques are great to know how to use if you ever really need them, but the meltwater smell and taste would gag a maggot most of the time. Rancid woodsmoke smell and taste... I speak only from my first-hand experiences teaching all that sort of stuff in Alaska. Even with a pot, unless you have (and use) a good-fitting lid, using an open fire results in water that certainly is "flavorful" to some degree (most of the time). OTOH, it sure beats getting dehydrated if there are no other options.

Tom

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/15/08 01:20 AM

I like the way those look, and the standard mouth is potentially very useful. I'm familiar with their cord lock gizmos and it is feasible to NOT cinch down the little set screw on the chocker block so one can fairly readily slide it open to remove the tethered cap from the bottle.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the vehicle water stash in wintertime than backpacking with one, though. Hmmm - think I'll order a couple when they are back in stock.

Thanks for the tip!

Tom
Posted by: BobS

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/15/08 04:15 AM

Why not take a small stove and a metal cup with you in snow country to melt snow if needed? You can cook with it giving you something that does more then just melting snow.

As far as water bottles Nalgene bottles work well.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/15/08 12:04 PM

Exactly. I take a 2 quart pot with a bail and a tightly fitting lid and a stove ALWAYS in snow country. And a GI canteen cup. Been doing that for a looong time.

Fuel consumption in wintertime is relatively high anyway and IF I cannot find liquid water and IF it is appropriate / possible to build a fire, I have always used a small fire at lunch and supper to replenish my water bottles. The 2 quart kettle makes life simpler and takes up no room in my pack. (actual volume is greater than that - 2qts is the "working" volume)

Nalgenes work fine. I use them a lot part of the year and rarely (except as a mixing container) the rest of the year. They do freeze up, just as anything will given temps and time. Depending on conditions and exactly what I am doing, I use insulated carriers (homemade from old sleeping pad + duct tape), neck bottle (slung underneath my parka), bury inverted in the snow, shoved inside my pacs with parka over both, etc. etc. But like any container of water, they can and do freeze up.

I used to carry a SS 1 qt vacuum bottle of hot water in addition to other container(s). Sometimes I still do. But nowadays I more often take a 1 pt vacuum bottle because of space and weight. No surprise, in extreme conditions, it will not stay hot as long as a 1 qt (surface area to volume/mass ratio). I used to use the dreaded Arctic Canteen (Because I was required to). Those are a poor solution - commercial vacuum bottles are much better.

And I could go on re: walking/skiing/snoweshoeing. But what catches my eye is a better solution than I presently have in my on-board "EDC" kit.

Emergency water in my vehicle in wintertime has always been a PITA. Among other things, a stove + fuel + canteen cup are part of the vehicle package. I do not care to use Sigg type aluminum water bottles for a number of reasons (purely personal preferences), so these SS single wall water bottles are interesting.

Tom

Posted by: BobS

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/15/08 08:42 PM

In my van I use ½ gallon milk jugs filled about 85% to allow for freezing. I also have a hobo wood stove made from a V-8 juice can, a metal pot and a few fire starters. This way I have water and can heat it or cook anyplace. It’s always easy to find small twigs or wood debris to burn.

The reason for using the milk jugs is that they are free, hold a good amount of water and if the water is froze it’s easy to cut the plastic off the ice and put it in the pot to melt. But for most of the winter they don’t freeze 100%.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/15/08 10:05 PM

Sounds like a good solution for you. You probably have the water jugs and other things in a tote or something so they will not slide around, spill, pick up POL vapors, etc.

My vehicle presents a harsher environment, and not just in terms of apparently harsher winters. Items like stove, fuel, water, and 3 days food are stowed in an aluminum tool chest that sits across the bed rails behind the cab (4x4 pick up). Tool chest is pretty full of other useful things that are for the most part heavy, sharp, or both as compared to milk jugs.

While I try to avoid stowing potential missiles in the cab, the Ready pack (no water in the wintertime) and fanny pack of additional first aid supplies are in the cab (rear seat area and clipped in when I remember to do that). I DO carry water in the cab on trips, but M-F my daily commute is less than 8 miles round trip.

We use empty milk jugs primarily for two things. Oldest (for us) use is backpacking (except wintertime). We each carry an empty partially collapsed one gallon jug on the outside of our packs. When we stop in the evenings, these are filled with potable water, along with our regular water containers. Supper, breakfast, clean-up, and minor personal hygiene are readily handled out of that water without needing to make additional trips to whatever water source we are using. By the end of a week long trip, some may develop a pinhole leak or two, but a scrap of duct tape or electrical tape takes are of that.

A couple of years ago I had one of those forehead thumping moments and made a slight improvement. Using a carpet needle, I threaded some braided dacron fishing line thru the caps and with a fisherman's knot, made the line into a loop. The loop gets girth-hitched to the jug handle and the cap never gets misplaced or lost (Yeah - only took me 30 years to think of that). At the end of the trip, the jug is tossed in the recycle bin and the cap goes in a baggie and back in the pack or personal gear tote. Certain fastidious people seem to feel better with a little dab of food-grade silicon caulk on the inside of the cap over the two holes and thread, but I don't bother. I got carried away with the idea and made up, oh, several lifetimes worth of "tether able" caps - both snap on and threaded types.

The other main use we make of empty milk jugs is simpler. My DW keeps the thermal mass of our chest-type freezer constant by adding jugs of water as the food contents fall. That really extends the time between generator runs when the power goes out for more than 24 hours (main reason), plus if we are using a cooler on the road portion of a trip, she uses a frozen jug or two in the ice chest.

But my tool chest would be an extremely lethal environment for milk jugs. As I wrote previously, I intend to try out a couple of those Guyot water bottles this year.

Regards,

Tom
Posted by: Hornfrog

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/16/08 12:36 AM

The SS bottles are no doubt the right metal container to ensure water safety in avoiding metal contaminates. But I would like to see if I could get some input on aluminum water bottles. I realize that aluminum pots have been cited by a number of research type efforts and have concluded that cooking in aluminum pots may cause alzheimers and maybe some other ailments. But what if they are just used to hold water and not heat it up? If the bottle is only used for the typical canteen purposes, what's the harm? There are a lot of aluminum canteens including Boy Scout, GI, foreign surplus canteens, etc. that have been made of aluminum. Are they all out as a result of cooking in aluminum fears?

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/16/08 04:19 PM

IMO, aluminum water containers (and cook pots) are fine. I suggest you take the alleged dementia hype with a huge dose of salt. Speaking of which, the only hesitation I have about scouts using a SIGG or other aluminum canteen is that most beverage powders have some citric acid / ascorbic acid in them. Aluminum can react with that.

Aluminum typically gains a protective oxide coating over time - otherwise we couldn't use it, as it's a fairly reactive metal. But it's almost an apples-oranges comparison to, say, drop shiny new aluminum foil in vinegar and erroneously extrapolate that a little orange beverage powder is going to dissolve your canteen - t'ain't so. But to be on the safe side, avoid putting acidic stuff in aluminum canteens - stick to water. Acidic beverage in aluminum canteens does get a little whang to it after a while, as any old former scout or GI can attest.

I think that HA-III (hard anodizing) finishes are pretty resistant to that sort of mild acid attack.

I remember/used surplus GI aluminum canteens - even preferentially carried one for a few years in Alaska (see discussion about thawing). I use an aluminum pot for melting ice/snow. Have / occasionally use other uncoated aluminum cookware. Use non-stick coated aluminum cookware on some backpacking trips. Absolutely love my GSI HA 12" dutch oven - more than my cast iron ones for 90% of my uses. I don't do stupid things with aluminum, but it's not measurably harmful.

What were we talking about... seriously, if you want to use aluminum canteens, there's nothing particularly dangerous about that. Use common sense and don't leave it full of V8 juice for a week. And remember to loosen/remove cap before thawing out a frozen one on a stove... saw that once - fairly exciting moment inside the arctic tent...

Tom
Posted by: big_al

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/16/08 06:08 PM

My number one water carrier is a WW II, SS canteeen, cup and stove combo. Carried in a molle canteen pouch, Solves all the problems. The molle pouch even has two side pockets to carry fuel tablets and matches in.

Posted by: Misanthrope

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/16/08 11:07 PM

Two Wolves Outdoors

Single wall, 38 oz, stainless steel, will mate with all of your standard Nalgene add-ons for $17.00 Which means you can pick up an Olicamp space saver mug to fit on the bottom for around $5.00. Check out the review at the bottom of the page on the link.

No financial interest, yada, yada, yada...

Posted by: GoatRider

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/16/08 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Misanthrope

Originally Posted By: twowolvesoutdoor.com
* currently out of stock

mad
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/17/08 05:08 PM

Those are the same bottles that Hikin_Jim posted earlier from Guyot Designs. Their website also has an online store, and if anyone has them in stock it will be them.
Posted by: jdavidboyd

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/17/08 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00

32 oz. Just ordered 2, plus the cups, cups are $6.00, they have a water tight removable seal, they come with two in case you lose one or happen to forget when you toss it in the fire....lol. They should be here in 4 days.

The Wiggy's web site says 1/2 liter, which is not 32 oz!

I had found this, and thought it looked wonderful. So I called them, and they told me it was just a smidgen over 16 oz.

Sorry! $51.60 for a single cup, bottle, and cover is too much...

Dave

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/17/08 08:05 PM

Check this out: http://www.dhki.com/Defense/p_solbotle.htm

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/17/08 08:14 PM

Oh, that was cruel...

-Blast, bottle junkie

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/17/08 08:32 PM

lol! Sorry, Blast, but c'mon -- a wide mouthed stainless steel GI style canteen that fits into the issue GI canteen cover -- now you've got to admit that's pretty cool. The stainless steel cap looks very cool too.

Refresh my memory here, guys, but didn't the old WWII GI canteens have black plastic caps? This puppy is all steel. One drawback is that I don't think you can put it inside an issue GI canteen cup. Sounds like you have to buy their cup.

I guess the only heat vulnerable item on the canteen would the gasket in the cap?

A half liter bottle like the one that started this thread doesn't really excite me, but a quart sized one to me is far more practical.

Now, not that I'm an overly cruel person by nature, but ... http://www.dhki.com/Defense/p_steelb.htm

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/17/08 08:43 PM

Oh, I agree it's very cool! The problem is explaining to my wife why I now need to order THIS bottle... She's a wonderful, supportive woman but she does have her limits. At the bottom of your link they have a link to a 1-liter, round steel bottle witha wide-mouth opening...it also looks perfect.

Yes, the old GI canteens had a black plastic cap held on by a metal chain.

*sigh* Addictions suck.

-Blast

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/17/08 10:01 PM

Dude, have you checked out the new Australian military canteen ... just kidding. smile Sorry. smile

Well, as one fellow addict to another: welcome to the club. As for water bottles, I have: Two 2L Camelbaks (one insulated, one plain), 1 3L Nalgene hydration system, 1 3L Nalgene collapsable watter carrier, 2 Polycarb 1L Nalgene bottles, 2 HDPE 1L Nalgene bottles, 2 West German HDPE 1L bottles, 1 USGI canteen with cup and canteen cover, multiple of the "sport top" bottles of the type that bicyclists popularized, 1 .5L stainless steel thermos, 2 1L stainless steel thermoses, 1 .5L Bota type bag, 1 6L collapsable water bucket, 1 backpacking water carrier/shower ... you get the picture.

That Stainless steel GI style canteen from DHK has a cool factor that cannot be ignored! Sheesh, look at how supportive I am with a fellow addict. smile I obviously need to go to more Watercarriers Anonymous meetings. smile

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/17/08 10:45 PM

Filtration and water carrier with high cool factor in one unit. Now Blast is really going to kill me. smile

http://www.dhki.com/Defense/p_cantin.htm

Seriously though, since it filters at 0.4 microns, it's really not that desireable.

From GORP (away.com):
Quote:
There are a couple of things to bear in mind when shopping for filters. First, only a system which includes a n iodine matrix will kill viruses (see below). Second, a filter with pores larger than 0.2 microns - note the location of the decimal point, as it is important - will let bacteria through. The advantages of a filter are quick processing time (don't have to wait for the pot to boil or the iodine to do its work) and clean-tasting water (no iodine or vitamin C flavor). Some systems also contain a carbon filter which will remove chemical toxins.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/18/08 12:35 AM

Two Camelbacks, ten different Lexan bottles (including a GI canteen-shaped one), Boy Scout canteen, 6-8 bicycle water bottles, assorted Sawyer-brand filtering bottles, two GI canteens, Bota, 5-qt military water bag, homemade Milbank bag, 2-4 2.5 gallon Aquatainers, 4-6 7-gallon Aquatainers (I lost count), plus assorted other cups, filters, carriers, and doodads.

Water is the keep to survival here in Texas. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

-Blast

p.s. So...uh, you say the Australian canteen is cool?
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/18/08 12:57 AM

Blast, I hear you about the water, were in the same ocean to speak here in FL. I have tons of back ups to water including taking pesticides,salt,etc.. out of the water and just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water (After the killer Amoeba) we now have medicine and other little goodies. Any ideas how to filter these little goodies out. I know carbon loves pesticides and petroleum and salt loves iron but what about amoxicillin or viagra in the water? Any ideas on this one?

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/index.html

Prescription Drugs in Drinking Water...
Studies have shown that pharmaceuticals are present in some of our nation's water bodies. Further research suggests that there may be some ecological harm when certain drugs are present. To date, no evidence has been found of human health effects from pharmaceutical and personal care products in the environment. This includes drinking water sources.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/18/08 01:50 AM

Quote:

Wow, I'm so glad no ones pisses in my drinking water before it gets to my tap.

Apparently there is the same issue with the water down in London, I remember somewhere hearing there is measurable quantity of Cocaine in the London tap water. Maybe thats why it tasted so good when compared to all those expensive bottled waters during a recent blind test. smile

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/18/08 02:07 AM

The bottle that started this thread is a 1 liter bottle actually its almost the same one you linked to, just a little different design.

The seller I bought mine from calls it 32 oz which last I knew was just short of a liter which is 33.81 oz

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/18/08 02:38 AM

Oddly, Wiggys.com doesn't list a size for their bottle on their product page: http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=22

However, their accessories page which is the "front door" to the products page lists it as 1/2 Liter: http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?category=1

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/18/08 11:15 AM

Thats odd, the sales person told me it was 32 oz, if its not, its going back real quick.........LOL
Posted by: thseng

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/18/08 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: falcon5000

Dosage, dosage, dosage... There is a little bit over everything in everything... but how much?

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/18/08 12:56 PM

This is true about dosage, pesticides were in the water here in small dosages many moons ago, the quantities went from PPB (Parts per billion) to PPM (Parts per million) and has been increasing ever since. My concern is the early detection of these particles are just starting to show up now in our aquifer which leads me to believe in a few years the seepage will increase expodentionaly. This is the same thing that happened with the nitrates.

That's the bad thing about man kind, were just as bad as animals (which pee and crap in there drinking water), we bury everything thinking it's a solution to things. And when we bury things the rain water washes the contaminates down through the soil and into our drinking water and then we wonder why? Burying anything under ground hasn't accomplished anything but shortening our future. But what do I know I'm not a PHD.

The only thing I see in the horizon that may be good for storing things under ground is heated water from solar and wind technology to pull that water back out at night to produce energy when the sun and wind are gone. Interesting idea....

Here's the idea with wind and solar.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/19440/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10695864/

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/18/08 03:15 PM

Sorry but going back on topic, I just spoke with the owner of Wiggy's and he assured me the water bottles that this topic originally started out about are in fact 32 oz the description on the web site is incorrect, he will be changing it today. Now feel free to go off topic.......LOL

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/18/08 05:18 PM

Sorry Shadow_oo00, I tend to do that more times than not, it's one of those comments that triggers something that I tend to ramble on about. I'll try to keep it at rest.
Thanks and sorry, Now back to the topic.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/18/08 05:59 PM

Everyone does it, no biggie.........actually I get a good laugh out of it. It always happens, not sure why either. I made it a point once to look at other posts not just the ones I wrote and sure enough more often than not all posts tend to go off topic. I think its human nature to, like when you tell someone something and by the time it gets back to you its stretched a bit.I don't think we have it in us not to.

Ramble on....LOL
Posted by: turbo

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/19/08 01:49 AM

I guess most posts are based on experience or lack of.

Not all cold winter areas have snow. Picture high desert areas. The only water you have is the water you carry with you. One winter setting up a hunt camp the fifty gallon plastic drum of water froze solid before we could get the tent set up and heated. I thawed it out with two white gas lanterns while it was still inside my trucks canopy, but it took awhile. Usually a thermos is to small or if large, to heavy to carry enough water to hunt all day. Our hunting party always carries multiple old military stainless steel canteens or stainless steel bottles. Even with insulated covers after a long day most are partially or totally frozen. So heating by a warming fire is common. Melting snow, where available, is both time and fuel consuming and if done to fast can scorch the pot and taste nasty. Most SS canteens and bottles are narrow mouth which limits their use to drinking only and can be difficult to clean. These newer wide mouth SS bottles are more versatile.

The only plastic water containers I carry now are bladders but they just augment the SS canteens or bottles.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/19/08 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: turbo
Not all cold winter areas have snow. Picture high desert areas. The only water you have is the water you carry with you.

Yep. Exclude, for the moment, barren alpine and tundra areas (I've got a story or two to tell about THOSE and water - but another time). My time in high desert areas such as Yakima is limited to months, not years, and pretty much all of it non-recreational. Bring enough water.

Obviously we also agree about the wide mouth SS bottles...

Regards,

Tom
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/19/08 08:40 PM

My Wiggy's 1qt bottle is GREAT. It is 12.4 oz and does have a rim on the bottom. I bought it recently, because I have had to melt water or show in my bottle before. I am very happy with it. I carry it in my daypack (not my trip bag where I have several pots) where I only have one other pot (a Ti .85 Liter tea kettle/mug). The tea kettle boils/cooks while the bottle melts. My Wiggy's bottle is a replacement for an older and much heavier SS lab bottle I had. It is much better. I do not have the insulating bag, in the winter I put it into something insulating (my parka most of the time) that I am carrying anyway. I have the cup (6.6 oz) and it is OK, but it does not fit the bottle well (too loose), the handles are loose in the hinges and flop around and it is somewhat heavy for what it is. I often use a double wall cup in the winter, I have them in SS and plastic and have been thinking about the Snow Peak Ti one (anyone used one?).

I also have a SIGG stainless bottle (6.9 oz) (a replica of the 1940's Swiss canteen) with a black coating and a well designed cup (6.9 oz). It has a small SIGG opening (poor for snow) and only carries .6 L. I carry it every day while around town and sometimes it goes into my ruck. Usually without the cup.

SIGG aluminum water bottles have a coating in them which eliminates their use on a fire, but does allow acidic liquids to be carried.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/19/08 11:53 PM

Jerry:

Haven't used their Ti cup, but have their gas canisters and a couple of their pots. Everything they make that I've seen so far is good stuff and their Ti stuff is darned light weight. Haven't had any problems with crushing or bending up my Ti pots. A bit scuffed and a tad blackend, but hey that's to be expected, right?
Posted by: jdavidboyd

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/20/08 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00
Sorry but going back on topic, I just spoke with the owner of Wiggy's and he assured me the water bottles that this topic originally started out about are in fact 32 oz the description on the web site is incorrect, he will be changing it today. Now feel free to go off topic.......LOL

When you get it, can you please measure it, and let us know for certain what it holds. I myself called Wiggy's about a month ago, to order one of these, and they told me that it was 1/2 liter. If it really is 32oz, I will be getting one myself, maybe, even though the price is slightly astronomical.

Thanks!

Dave

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/20/08 04:21 PM

I did run into the same situation, when I first called I talked to a young salesman, he informed me that it was 32 oz, on the website it says 1/2L, someone replied on this post that he was under the same impression that it was 1/2L. I called the other day and spoke to the owner and he assured me they were in fact 32 oz, they are due here any min, so I will surely post the info.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/20/08 06:28 PM

Well the SS Bottles just came, they are if fact 1L, the bottle and cap are very sturdy, the only thing I don't like is the thin chain and the thin strip of spot welded metal that the split ring is attached to on the bottle, other than that very well made. The 1 5/8 in opening is wide enough to get a fork or spoon in but with the bottle being 8 in deep would be hard pressed to get to the bottom, but then I doubt anyone would be eating prime rib out of it. It comes with two rubber O rings, one is quite a bit larger than the other, not sure why, the smaller makes for a nice tight seal. The bottle sits in the cup a little more loosely than I would like to have seen, maybe I can find a large O ring to go around the bottle as there is a ridge on the bottle that lines up with the cup nicely, should snug it up. Now the SS cup was $6.00 dollars extra and I think neither the $21.00 for the bottle or the $6.00 for the cup were wasted as far as the quality goes, I'm sure others as well as myself would like a lower price. The handles on the cup are sturdy and as the bottle the cup is very sturdy. Over all weight doesn't seem to be anymore than a metal military canteen and cup combo.

All said and done, I'm quite happy with my purchase. If anyone has any other questions I will do my best to answer them.

PS: I just figured out why the one O ring is larger, they must have put the wrong one in, the other I just opened had two the same size..... Mystery solved....LOL
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 03/21/08 03:44 AM

I checked mine tonight and it is 32 oz to just below the neck and 4 more to level full. In the cold I would not go above the Quart (1 L might be a problem if it froze). The cup is 20 oz level full.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Posted by: Bender

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 09/25/08 12:04 AM

I got my Wiggy's bottle the other day and within 24 hours it was rusting. It looks like it's coming from the seam around the bottom. Anyone else have this issue? My bottle also came with two different sized gaskets.
Customer service said to return the bottle with no questions, so Im guessing this is might be a common problem. They did not say if I would be reimbursed for my return shipping costs.
Posted by: Silas

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 05/26/09 02:40 AM

Hello all,

I found this site yesterday while searching for a stainless steel canteen.

It looks like alot of good info and fun can be had here so I joined.

Anyone know where this canteen can be purchased?

http://www.dhki.com/Defense/p_solbotle.htm
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 05/26/09 03:37 AM

The company appears to be out of business.
Posted by: Flotsam

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 05/26/09 06:43 PM

I received a quote from DHKI - the bottle alone was around $80, the cup another $20 or so (I can't recall exactly - only that it was pretty high).
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 05/27/09 12:47 AM

For $100 they should have included Perrier. I think we can guess why they are OOB.
Posted by: Silas

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 05/27/09 01:45 AM

Well that's not cool.

It looked like one of the nicest steel canteens I've seen.

Posted by: big_al

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 05/27/09 02:13 AM

Go to a good G.I. surplus store and get a WWll Canteen and cup.
(stainles steel) They are not cheap now days $20 to $30 bucks.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 05/27/09 01:49 PM

These 32oz 1 litre Tatonka 18/8 Stainless Steel Bottles look quite good and appear to be very lightweight for Stainless Steel so must be very thin walled at 210 grams (7.4oz). This compares to the Sigg Aluminium at 145 grams (5.1oz) and the Guyot Designs Wide-mouth 32oz Stainless Steel at 348 grams (12.1oz)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tatonka-Stainless-Steel-Bottle-1000/dp/B000G4XI3G

Insulating covers are available and will help prevent the the bottle getting the inevitable dents. Although looking at the bottle shape and size the SIGG Neoprene 1 litre covers would probably fit as well

http://www.tamarackgroup.co.uk/acatalog/Cookware__eating_and_Drinking.html

Posted by: comms

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/02/09 02:48 PM

While tooling around the web I came across a double walled stainless steel GI Canteen. I had to get past the foofoo advertising for it but it fits a need many people on here have looked for

uscanteen
Posted by: Rox11Aries

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/02/09 06:54 PM

I looked at both products and was impressed. It looks like the Tatonka 18/8 Stainless Steel Bottles are sold in the UK. If so, a high cost in shipping to the U.S. There are several U.S. manufactures of stainless steel water bottles (the US Canteen as one of them) on the market like Thermos, Thinksport and Camelbak, and all are insulated, a plus for camping, hiking, etc.

Be aware of Sigg, they have lost their credibility with the deception of their BPA lining in the aluminum bottles, linking to health issues and ban consideration in a few states.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/02/09 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: comms
While tooling around the web I came across a double walled stainless steel GI Canteen. I had to get past the foofoo advertising for it but it fits a need many people on here have looked for

uscanteen

Interesting idea. Though I'm going to pass on the man-purse carrying case.

Oh yeah, way to bring up a blast-from-the-past post smile
Posted by: Kingarthur

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/02/09 09:20 PM

This is my next choice in water bottles:

Posted by: Cauldronborn

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/02/09 09:32 PM

[/quote]Interesting idea. Though I'm going to pass on the man-purse carrying case.:)[/quote]

Not meaning to sound personal, but I've always liked that idea for carrying a canteen, like you see in the old explorer/tarzan type movie.
Posted by: NobodySpecial

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/02/09 09:53 PM

I replaced my very old battered Siggs with these http://www.innate-gear.com/product-info/fresco/fresco-v2

Mainly because MEC were selling the plain ones for $4 CDN (about 75c US)
They are stainless with no liner, the thread at the top is plastic so your lips don't stick to it when cold like a Sigg.
And the lip wide enough to get ice-cubes in - it's supposed to fit Nalgene bottle filters.

Downside is the wide lip spills water down your chin - like Nalgene bottles do. And the wide thread means you have to be careful not to cross thread.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/02/09 10:01 PM

Quote:
Be aware of Sigg, they have lost their credibility with the deception of their BPA lining in the aluminum bottles, linking to health issues

I agree, it was terrible how people who drank 6000 gallons of water each day from their bottles suffered medical issues. Luckily drinking less than that is no cause for alarm.

-Blast
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/02/09 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Rox11Aries

Be aware of Sigg, they have lost their credibility with the deception of their BPA lining in the aluminum bottles, linking to health issues and ban consideration in a few states.

Be careful or the BPA police will come looking for you!

(the BPA levels in water bottles don't appear to be harmful. The level of BPA hysteria surrounding BPA in water bottles does far more damage. link H2O is far more toxic at these levels than BPA)
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/02/09 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Kingarthur
This is my next choice in water bottles:

Not in extreme cold you know.

I have them on each family member's BOB, plus in each vehicle. Having used them, my only concern (recently mind you) is sub-freezing temps and the filter itself freezing up.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/02/09 11:13 PM

Good point. However, would keeping them under your gortex, next to your body prevent a crack in the lining? And if stainless steel in the answer, is there a similar product that also incorporates the filtering feature?

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/02/09 11:15 PM

Good question. I just worry about the filter being damaged by "slushy" water and then letting all the creepy stuff thru.

BTW, What area of Texas?
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/02/09 11:18 PM

I'm not entirely convinced by the BPA is an immediate threat toxin, however SIGG lied to the company Patagonia about BPA in their liners, and that damages SIGG's credibility no matter what the outcome of the debate.

From Rick Ridgeway, Patagonia's VP of Environmental Initiatives:

"Once we concluded there was basis for concern (regarding BPA), we immediately pulled all drinking bottles that contained BPA from our shelves and then searched for a BPA-free bottle. We very clearly asked SIGG if there was BPA in their bottles and their liners, and they clearly said there was not."

Patagonia has recalled all their co-branded SIGG bottles.

SIGG later introduced the EcoCare Liner.

SIGG is also offering, until the end of October, to exchange all pre-ecocare liner SIGG bottles for the cost of shipping.

SIGG isn't concerned about BPA being harmful, but they are concerned that potential customers, past and future, are concerned about the issue, enough so to replace their liner, replace old bottle and to lie about it in the first place.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/02/09 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Good question. I just worry about the filter being damaged by "slushy" water and then letting all the creepy stuff thru.

BTW, What area of Texas?

East Texas, a couple hours south and east of you. But, I have spent time in mountainous regions before (obviously the only thing you will find in Texas if the hill country and the only mountains are in El Paso). But, I am looking at doing some hiking camping in the mountains where temperatures dip drastically. There are places like Sun Spot, NM where even in the middle of summer at night it is freezing.
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/03/09 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
I'm not entirely convinced by the BPA is an immediate threat toxin,

It's not a question of whether BPA _can_ be a threat but rather dosages in water bottle usage. As Blast pointed out, when there are *eleven* zeros to the right of the decimal point it's time to start asking questions.

If you ate the water bottle then the dosage levels might be more problematic...

Quote:

From Rick Ridgeway, Patagonia's VP of Environmental Initiatives:

It would be interesting to hear Sigg's side of the story, and whether the Patagonia Procurement team actually specified BPA-free or not. The "VP of Environmental Initiatives" may want it but Procurement may not bother asking for it - after all, Procurement guys are paid to filter out unnecessary specs that add costs. That's been my experience in the corporate world anyway.

Originally Posted By: Desperado

Having used them, my only concern (recently mind you) is sub-freezing temps and the filter itself freezing up.

Agreed - what is the risk that a 1 micron filter silently becomes a 10 millimeter filter after freezing?

Unless it's possible - and cheap - to buy a water solution with 5 -to 15 micron particles suspend I'm not sure how to test a filter.

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/03/09 03:44 AM

Food coloring? The filter system we use at home from Nikken will remove food coloring from water. It is not rated as a true water purifier, but I know it takes all the minerals out of tap water. It comes with mineral stones to replace the ones removed by the filter.

Oh yeah, it makes the tap water taste like... well um uh Water?

Without all the crap
Posted by: NobodySpecial

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/03/09 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
I'm not sure how to test a filter.

1, Get some water from a backcountry source
2, Put through filter
3, Don't stray too far from the bathroom
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/03/09 04:17 AM

an old camping book's water test was to put the water in a glass jug along with some sugar and leave it in the sun to warm and see what if anything grows in it--
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/03/09 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn
Interesting idea. Though I'm going to pass on the man-purse carrying case.:)[/quote]

Not meaning to sound personal, but I've always liked that idea for carrying a canteen, like you see in the old explorer/tarzan type movie.
[/quote]

To each their own. I don't think there's anything wrong with a canteen on a strap.

I think there IS something wrong with THEIR canteen holder on a strap, however! A bit too... yuppy... for my taste. My first impression regarding the canteen itself stands.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/03/09 02:24 PM

It's not a question of whether BPA _can_ be a threat but rather dosages in water bottle usage. As Blast pointed out, when there are *eleven* zeros to the right of the decimal point it's time to start asking questions.

If you ate the water bottle then the dosage levels might be more problematic...

I'm not so much concerned about the amount of BPA I may consume due to every day contact with or usage of polycarbonate water bottles, canned goods liners etcetera, but rather what the shear tonnage of such containers placed into the waste stream can leach into the environment. That is where I am concerned that those "eleven zeros to the right of the decimal point" can add up and come back to haunt us.

It would be interesting to hear Sigg's side of the story, and whether the Patagonia Procurement team actually specified BPA-free or not. The "VP of Environmental Initiatives" may want it but Procurement may not bother asking for it - after all, Procurement guys are paid to filter out unnecessary specs that add costs. That's been my experience in the corporate world anyway.

Patagonia's continued stance is that they asked specifically about BPA in SIGG bottles and that SIGG assured them there was no BPA in their bottle liners. It is in Patagonia's official press release about dropping SIGG and terminating co-branding contracts.

Thus far, SIGG has not responded to Patagonia's claim at all, but have changed their bottle liners and have officially apologized for "Less than transparent" practices.
Posted by: T_Co

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/03/09 09:02 PM

klean canteen has a SS 40oz widemouth screw top that could work for snow meltage

http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/wide/klean-kanteen-40oz-wide.html
Posted by: comms

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/05/09 03:17 AM

For whatever reason, I can't recall, but its at the beginning of this thread I believe, the poster was looking for a SS bottle with a SS cap.

I'll continue to trade the weight of SS bottles for nalgenes and hydration reservoirs. I'll continue to boil on my alchy stove, use a steripen or micropur tabs.
Posted by: T_Co

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 10/05/09 03:33 AM

They come with a SS screw on cap, though the outside of the cap is then coated in polypropylene so I'm not sure how helpful this would be to some.
Posted by: johnny68

Re: Water Bottle of my dreams - 09/27/10 12:21 AM

great review ,where can i buy one or two of these bottles ,thanks