combo knife blades

Posted by: kenmray

combo knife blades - 03/13/08 12:07 AM

Asking for imput.
Given a choice between two identical high quality folding knives except that one has a combo blade, 40% serrated, which one should I choose? Why would I not want a combo blade?

Thanks
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 12:11 AM

I would say that combo blades are unnecessary as log as you keep the knife relatively sharp. It will do everything that the serrated will do. I like my fixed blades with no combo! I would recommend the just single.
Posted by: Jackal

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 12:17 AM

http://www.equipped.org/devices6.htm#SerrationsorSmoothEdge?

a serrated is a pain in the arse to keep sharp enough to be of any use
Posted by: kenmray

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 12:23 AM

Thanks for the link. That answers my question. I always keep my knives sharp enough to cut what ever I need to.
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 12:43 AM

I like to have a serrated blade to cut synthetic fibers. Synthetics jsut seem to do a better job cutting synthetic fiber. A straight blade does not work as well.

However, I also like a decent-sized fixed blade with a straight edge. If I cannot have both, the fixed is my choice.
Posted by: Stretch

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 12:50 AM

I sharpen the few serrated edges I have on the Sharpmaker. It works just fine and only takes a few seconds. I generally prefer a non-serrated plain-edge knife, both in folders (especially) and in fixed blades.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 01:02 AM

In my opinion, serrated blades are great for things like rope, seat belts, fan belts, and those damned clamshell plastic things that they like to seal stuff in these days. But, for rope and such, I like a long section of serration, not an inch or so. I have never had a combo blade, but have a hard time imagining slicing thru a 3/4" manila rope with a short section of serration. They are also hard to sharpen without specialized tools...
Posted by: BobS

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 02:33 AM

I like straight blades, I have not found serrated blades any more useful then a regular blade. If you were a fireman or police officer and ever had to cut a person out of a car the serrated blade would be a better choice.

I have the stone on my Lansky sharpener that’s made to sharpen them (V-shaped) because I have purchased a few serrated blade knifes in the past. But they just sit unused. I bought into the idea that you need them, but 15-years later I have never ran into a situation that a straight knife didn’t fill that the serrated one would.

From a survival point of view a straight blade knife is a better choice because it’s easier to sharpen in the field with nothing more then a small pack able sharpening stone. Heck you could sharpen it with a stone you found someplace if needed. Or a piece of emery cloth or sandpaper.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 03:33 AM

I am not a fan of serrated blades for one reason, I am one of the 10% of the population in their right mind (left-handed). The blades are sharpened for use by righties.

Let the ribbing begin.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 03:36 AM

www.ragweedforge.com Ragnar stocks a partially serrated Mora with an orange handle at the request of emergency personel.I would suggest picking one up along with a regular blade Mora. the knives are inexpensive schoolmasters in many cutlery sciences like sharpening, safety and personal responsibility. Teach yourself the answer by using both alongside each other for different tasks.
Posted by: katarin

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 04:39 AM

I am also a lefty and the darned things aren't right for me either.
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 10:45 AM

I would say like most everyone else has, straight is the better choice unless you are a lefty or plan on cutting seat belts, rope, plastics (softer LDPE type) a bunch. My swisstool has both a serrated and non-serrated blade and the only time I seem to use the serrated blade is when I cut into the plastic catch bins at work for new pipe placement or jury-rig "reconstruction". It slices through it so much better and is still relatively "easy" to resharpen as it is the older style scalloped edge and not the newer micro grooved edge that spyderco made so popular.

-Bill Liptak

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
www.ragweedforge.com Ragnar stocks a partially serrated Mora with an orange handle at the request of emergency personel.I would suggest picking one up along with a regular blade Mora. the knives are inexpensive schoolmasters in many cutlery sciences like sharpening, safety and personal responsibility. Teach yourself the answer by using both alongside each other for different tasks.

I've got a couple of these, listed as #761 on Ragnar's site. They are nice knives. I prefer the laminated high-carbon blade, but I bought these because of the bright orange handle. Tough to lose if you drop it.

If I could get it with in carbon with a straight edge, I'd buy it too. But that's not saying much. I have an problem with buying knives, I always want more of them.
Posted by: JRJ

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 02:26 PM

I only use plain blades. Most of my blade use falls between the first 2 inches from the handle and 1-1/2 inch from the point. I seem to cut ropes and fibers quickly without serrations.

I have never needed to cut a seat belt. A first responder might find more use with blade serration, then again they might use some type of seat belt cutter that is safer. Serrations cut and rip fiber faster, do seconds matter to you?

Just like any thing in life it sort of falls on what your intended use is, maintenance, personal preference and aesthetics.

-JRJ
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 02:30 PM

I find the serrated blade on my CRKT M-16 is horrible. The teeth are too small to sharpen and just snag on things. Nice round scallops like on a bread knife are easy to sharpen (easiER anyhow) and effective. I have a couple of so called combo knives but I find I don't use them very much. I tend to always go for straight edges and save the serrated blades for backup emergency boxes like in the car where sharpeners are scarce.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 04:36 PM

For the knives that I use often I've got 1 fully serrated edge knife, 1 combo edge knife, and about 9 plain edge knives. So, you get the idea what I prefer. smile

With that said, the two knives I do have serrated edges on are a Spyderco Atlantic Salt and a Benchmade 530S. These two often come in handy for use in, and around, water. When I'm cutting a lot of heavy line those serrations do come in handy.
Posted by: Paragon

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 06:16 PM

The numerous small contact points found on a serrated blade significantly increase the cutting force for each point of contact, since any given applied force is distributed across a much smaller surface area.

While serrated blades are somewhat more difficult to sharpen, the curvature of the individual scallops found on a serrated blade also provides additional strength/support at the blade edge, allowing it to remain sharp longer than a straight blade.

I can think of way too many survival scenarios off the top of my head that require a sawing action to ever consider going into the woods without a combo blade. There's a reason saws don't feature straight blades, no matter how sharp they are.

Jim
Posted by: bigmothertrucker

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 06:43 PM

Quote:
I can think of way too many survival scenarios off the top of my head that require a sawing action to ever consider going into the woods without a combo blade. There's a reason saws don't feature straight blades, no matter how sharp they are.

Thats why I take an actual SAW with me instead of a serrated knife. A folding saw and a good plain edge knife is combo enough for my needs.
Posted by: BobS

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: bigmothertrucker
Quote:

Thats why I take an actual SAW with me instead of a serrated knife. A folding saw and a good plain edge knife is combo enough for my needs.

I agree, a regular knife and a saw works well.

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 08:12 PM

I enjoy discussions about which knife to choose. But reading the post of BobS and bigmothertrucker makes me realize that I don't choose.

I work in an office in a tie and brought at least three knives to work with me today; a multitool; an SAK Farmer and a cheap folder with a combo blade. I should do something else with the last folder.

When going into the woods, I have at least three blades: 1. A Mora #S-1 or a Cold Steel Kukri; 2. a multitool; and 3. a folder with a serrated edge. Whether I bring the Mora or the Kukri depends on who else is there.

This kind of goes right with what benjammin said in another post. Having more gear is better.

The issues come when you do have to choose. When you cannot fit anymore gear in your pack, bag or vehicle. When you cannot carry more. When you cannot afford more. Seems like a lot of the enjoyment and learning I get on this forum comes from such discussions.
Posted by: Hookpunch

Re: combo knife blades - 03/13/08 10:14 PM

I agree on the knife and saw combo

If I need a serrated edge I'll buy a small saw or folding saw. For one thing saw blades are usually made of stamped steel and are a lot cheaper.

I can't justify paying for a Spyderco or Benchmade for a serrated edge knife.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: combo knife blades - 03/14/08 11:44 AM

Well, thanks for the ack, and I would affirm the rest of your statement as well. Having more gear is better if you can use it and it isn't encumbering, either physically or financially.

I vasillate on the issue because although I stock an awful lot of gear at home and I do edc redundantly on the big three (fire-making, knives, and lights), I am also a firm believer in the MacGyver principle, that being to utilize available resources to solve your problems as well. It is a constant objective to both equip myself to the maximum extent I can within my limits, and also think of ways to make what I have or can get my hands on immediately fit my tasks.

I can cut wood quite well with an axe or hatchet, or even a big heavy knife, but there's some things that little pocket chainsaw of mine can do so much better it is worth the bucks and the room in my pocket to bring it along. The saw won't do it all, which is why the axe usually accompanies it, but combine the two and I can get more than twice as much accomplished for the effort. I just keep in mind that I can still get a lot done if I can only bring one or the other.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: combo knife blades - 03/15/08 11:20 AM

If the serrations are at the handle end, it can be hard to use the knife for fine work. If you must have serrations, I think they are better towards the tip of the blade.