Surveyor's tape Carrier

Posted by: mtnhiker

Surveyor's tape Carrier - 02/26/08 09:38 PM

Talking with a memeber of the local SAR unit today He showed me a great idea they use for carrying "marker" tape.
They take a normal film canister(like we use for so many things) Cut a vertical slit in the body of the canister. Roll up the surveyors tape off a normal roll until you get enough to fill the canister, then feed the leading edge of the tape thru the slit. Put the lid on the canister and presto!.. you have a surveyors tape dispenser. I thought it was a great idea for those of you who carry the tape..
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Surveyor's tape Carrier - 02/26/08 10:01 PM

Great idea for the dispenser..........

I typically carry some for my outings. Never considering it for a long term solution ,but I do occasionally use it for trail marking/site marking, etc........and now I think i may go with the film cansiter idea and just toss a roll in my pack every time!

Thanks
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Surveyor's tape Carrier - 02/26/08 10:19 PM

Fantastic idea. It's just like a rope bag...no doubt that's where the idea came from since SAR folks use those all the time.
Posted by: ame

Re: Surveyor's tape Carrier - 02/26/08 11:44 PM

What is this 'film canister' of which you speak?

smile

A

Re: Surveyor's tape Carrier - 02/27/08 12:08 AM

It is just an ordinary plastic film container w/lid designed originally to carry 35mm film.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Surveyor's tape Carrier - 02/27/08 12:28 AM

That's how I carry jute twine for fire starting and various simple knot tying. A small hole in the top of the container and the twine wound up neatly on the inside. You just pull the amount of twine you need up through the top and cut it.

I usually carry marking tape as well, but that I just have wrapped around a pen or whatever, since I don't carry or use a lot of it. I think I'll do the same thing with the marking tape and keep them together. smile
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Surveyor's tape Carrier - 02/27/08 01:43 AM

Not bad. I have often wondered if a normal smallish roll would fit into one of those hard sided snuff can carriers. Make a slit, same thing...

Re: Surveyor's tape Carrier - 02/27/08 03:02 AM

LOL.. In that case I probably shouldnt mention the cameras that had the rotaing square flash bulb on top that was good for 4 flashes then you had to replace it. I think I just dated myself?!
Posted by: SARbound

Re: Surveyor's tape Carrier - 02/27/08 03:09 AM

Say what? Where am I supposed to find this if I don't want the roll of film? wink

Great idea by the way. I would go further and make two tiny holes, one in the cap, and one in the bottom, and run a small piece of brass wire through it to be able to suspend it. No, wait, even better : glue a closed zip-tie onto the cap using Loctite so you can just suspend the small canister off a piece of paracord or something.
Posted by: GeoEarthSensei

Re: Surveyor's tape Carrier - 02/27/08 03:16 AM

Any store that still develops 35mm film usually has plenty of empty canisters lying around that they are happy to give, if you just ask.

Re: Surveyor's tape Carrier - 02/27/08 03:32 AM

SARbound, Thats exactly how this SAR member had it attatched to his web gear, a small hole thru the top and bottom with a piece of tie wire hooking it to his "H" harness... You SAR guys are all alike.. ha ha
Posted by: SARbound

Re: Surveyor's tape Carrier - 02/27/08 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: mtnlvr68
You SAR guys are all alike.. ha ha

LOL! I guess you're right...
Posted by: aloha

Re: Surveyor's tape Carrier - 02/27/08 04:33 AM

I guess I'm just a lazy b@st@rd. I take a whole spool and run a pack strap through it. That gets used like that until it is almost gone, then the spool is replaced. It is out of the way but handy to grab and tear. Then I let go and don't think about it until it is time for the next marker.

That's worked for me for decades so I never thought further about it until your post. Very clever. I wonder if a chewing tobacco tin carrier might be wide enough for a partial spool to fit in.