Brunton Raptor ?

Posted by: bigmothertrucker

Brunton Raptor ? - 02/22/08 01:01 AM

If this has been a topic before I apologise but this is my stove. I bought it and have yet to use it. a good survival nut friend of mine uses the larger peak 1 stove but I think it is way too big for me. Thats why I got this little guy. Does anyone have any tips for the Brunton Raptor Foldable Canister Stove before I test it in the brush?
thanx
Posted by: Schwert

Re: Brunton Raptor ? - 02/22/08 01:28 AM

I have not used that one...but my tip is to test it in the yard rather than the bush for the first go.
Posted by: WalkingSavage

Re: Brunton Raptor ? - 02/22/08 01:52 AM

I have that stove and I like it allot. I like the fact that it is so small and still has the Piezo Ignition. It packs down to almost nothing and has pot rests that will hold most any pot. I use a 2 liter pot and a Primus tea kettle on this stove. I do recommend that if you are going to use a bigger pot that you opt for the canister legs or go with a larger fuel canister. It will be much more stable that way. The canister legs only fit Brunton fuel canisters though.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Brunton Raptor ? - 02/22/08 02:10 AM

The stoves with that 'blow torch' burner on them are very good in the wind and rain. The only down side is that the heat it focused so they'll scorch your pots sooner than other types if you're not watching them.
Posted by: bigmothertrucker

Re: Brunton Raptor ? - 02/22/08 02:20 AM

Quote:
... and still has the Piezo Ignition...

how does this stand up in harsh conditions? How easy is it to fix if it breaks?
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Brunton Raptor ? - 02/22/08 02:42 AM

Hey BMT,

I have never used the Brunton Raptor stove but I do use the similar style Snow Peak Giga and I am happy with it.

There are 3 reviews on the Brunton Raptor Stove on the Backpackgeartest site found here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/Brunton%20Raptor%20Stove/

They all give the Raptor a great recommendation, sounds like a quality unit.

The Raptor stove will suffer from the same problem as all butane based cannister stoves, they do not work well in the cold and you cannot top-up the cannisters before going on a trip, you either buy a new full one or carry a spare. There are new fuel mixtures (propane, iso-butane) that address the cold proformance problem and there are many backpacking sites on the web that explain/discuss this in detail.

I use cannister stoves in the spring/summer/fall and old style liquid fuel stoves (Coleman) in the winter.

Mike
Posted by: WalkingSavage

Re: Brunton Raptor ? - 02/22/08 11:02 PM

I have not had reason to fix the piezo ignition. I have used it in wind, rain and good weather with good results for all. I have not used my stove in cold weather so I do not know how well it performs in those conditions.