Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps?

Posted by: Bob

Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 01:38 AM

Last night, in an ice storm, I tried changing a flat tire and noticed a major flaw in my BOB. I donned a poncho to keep me dry, an orange safety vest to make me visible, a pair of gloves to keep my hands dry, and had half-a-dozen light sources to provide light. Unfortunately, none of those light sources could be directed where they were needed because I needed both hands to change out the tire and didn't have a prehensile tail to hold the light.

*$(#*

Does anyone have a recommendation for a light with the following requirements: Head mounted (to keep my hands free), LED Light (so it doesn't burn out ... also something bright), AA batteries (so I can interchange them w/ the rest of my kit).

Thanks!

bob
Posted by: Jackal

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 01:46 AM

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4079 is what i have and it is very good

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.906

they have a fair few
Posted by: KenK

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 01:52 AM

Most good headlamps don't use AA's, but rather they use AAA's due to the smaller size.

I'd strongly recommend you consider the Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. Its a fantastic headlamp:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/princetontec_eos.htm

The Princeton Tec Apex is their higher end LED, and it does take AA's using a battery pack that sits on the back of the strap:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pt_apex.htm

Petzels are also good headlamps, but they they can't use lithium batteris, which is actually pretty big deal for me.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 02:05 AM

I have several headlamps. My favorite is the Petzel Zipka Plus. It has a retractable cord for the headband so when it's not on your head it's very small (you don't see any headband as it's retracted inside). Fits in a pocket easily.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 02:17 AM

Since last spring I have been using a Petzl Tactikka Plus headlamp. It is powered by 2 AAA batteries , has 4 LED's that can be dimmed for different power settings and a flipdown red lens. I have used the light quite a lot throughout the fall hunting season and the frequent times I am in the bush. It is no spotlight, but casts a beam far enough that I have had no trouble navigating in the dark. The red lens is nice and I use it when walking into my treestand. I thought enough of the light that I gave my son one for his birthday in December.

I bought the headlamp at MEC, the link is below
http://mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442618660&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302697057&bmUID=1202958419592

Mike

P.S. I apoligise for the long link, I still have not figured out how to compress these?
Posted by: Steve

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 02:33 AM

There are many, many headlamps in all combinations of size, brightness, runtime, modes of operation, etc. You can check out a variety at any camping store. A couple good online resources are

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/ (No longer maintained but still reasonably up-to-date)

http://candlepowerforums.com/

Both have sections dedicated to headlamps.

I like my Princeton Tec Aurora for its small size, light weight, and wide beam. Downsides to it are: non-regulated electronics so it gets dimmer gradually instead of maintaining relatively constant brightness, center of beam is slightly bluish-tinted, and it casts a bit of glare down on my face (mostly fixed with electrical tape across the bottom). I also like my wife's Princeton Tec EOS for its bright concentrated beam. Both have been around a while so there may be better newer alternatives.

Steve
Posted by: PackRat

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 02:42 AM

In the summer I pack an Eos, it is compact with good output and long battery life but I find it difficult sometimes to turn it on/off when wearing heavy gloves or mitts.

In the winter I usually pack a Myo 3 because it uses AA Lithium batteries and has great output which can be handy for navigation with the long winter nights. It is bigger than the Eos so I don't usually pack it in the summer but it is always in the car.

Also note that some lamps will not work with lithium or rechargeable batteries so check with the manufacturer if that is a requirement for you.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 02:48 AM

I have several and my favorite is my Petzl E+Lite. Why? Because I can slip the case on my belt. The worst flashlight is the one you left at home.
Posted by: duckear

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 03:28 AM

google zebralight

Posted by: timo

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 03:55 AM

Zebralight looks interesting but for the life of me I can't distinguish any substantial
difference between the two models. And if I'm going to spend that much money I want to know exactly what I'm paying $10 more for. The descriptions are the same ie: "the perfect light for camping, etc." except for some strange "lm" output rating.
Could this be a lumens rating?

Also, they have no USA return address, yet...The lights ship from China.

A good example of what could be a good product let down by poor marketing skills.

I like what I see, but I wonder what makes the difference between the $40 model and the $50 model and if the company is going to be around in a year to support the product.
Posted by: philip

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 03:59 AM

I won't recommend a brand, as there are several good ones already mentioned.

I have two other comments, though. I've used both LED and incandescent head lamps. I much prefer incandescent for two reasons: they preserve color fidelity, and they can be focused. LEDs are okay if you need a broad swath of light, but I prefer to be able to focus a spot where I need it, and I much prefer being able to tell colors correctly.

Second, be sure you get a lamp with an on-off switch you can use without seeing and with some ease of use. I've had sliding switches that I had to fumble around to find, and I've had switches that eventually jammed so tight I had to take the lamp off and use both hands to slide the switch. If you use the headlamp outdoors or store it in a car, it will get dirt in it.
Posted by: bigmbogo

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 03:59 AM

I think the Arc AAA is my favorite and most versatile light I own. It is tiny (not much bigger than a AAA cell) rugged (accidentally ran through the laundry without harm) takes a single, ubiquitous AAA (obviously), and by adding a handy clip for a AAA Maglight will clip right to the visor of a hat brim. So it's a combo clip and handheld light. It has some sort of electronic circuit that boosts the voltage so it's a really bright light on a single cell.

David
Posted by: aeaas

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 04:14 AM

I have a black diamond model that they don't make anymore, but the Icon is pretty close (mine has a much simpler bulb system)

http://www.bdel.com/gear/icon.php

one thing I would throw out, after a lot of use, is to get one with the third strap over your head, esp. for a BOB where you don't have to worry about size (as much) as when you carry it. I have used a two strap (head band style) and wasn't happy. The third band going over the top of your head seemed to stabilize it a lot for me.

ok ok, one more more thing is to consider what type of batteries are already in your BOB, if you don't have any AAA batteries or devices in there, that speaks to sticking with the AA

This all said, I think unless you are going to use it for extended periods of time, you can't go wrong with anything from princeton tec or Petzel
Posted by: Lono

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 04:32 AM

Its not AA powered, but I'll put in a thumbs up for the Doug Ritter eQ multi light, http://www.aeromedix.com/product-exec/pa...eQ_Multi_Light. Runs on small CR2032 batteries that cost ten cents a piece when bought in small quantities. Nice, lightweight (1 oz), easy to change the batteries. The spot light on this headlamp is super, run time is good, great for hanging bear bags in the dark or focussing on work. I wear one while working on PCs and putting chains on my car in the dark. At $14.95, I own quite a few and have them in coat pockets, door pockets, anywhere I might need a light. This is really my only non-AA light or device, but for hiking its a good choice, as replacement batteries are extremely small and light. Really good value for this headlamp. Usual disclaimer, no relation to Doug Ritter or any vendor...
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob
snip...
Does anyone have a recommendation for a light with the following requirements: Head mounted (to keep my hands free), LED Light (so it doesn't burn out ... also something bright), AA batteries (so I can interchange them w/ the rest of my kit).

Thanks!

bob

An often overlooked light in this (crowded) field...

The (IIRC discontinued) Black Diamond Zenix IQ. It takes 2 AA batteries (lithium are OK), uses 2 standard 5mm LEDs and 1 one watt LED, is IPX4 rated and weighs 112 grams w/o batteries.

According to FlashlightReviews battery life is similar (3xAAA EOS 2h 15m vs 2xAA Zenix 1h 55m) but overall output is much higher for the Zenix.

Something that is almost never mentioned but I find important is the lowest setting offered on a given light. The Zenix has a very low - low setting that is great for up close work when it's actually dark. This lets me only use the light I need and really stretch a set of batteries out. During our recent ice storms/power outages my Zenix IQ and CMG Infinity (both w/lithium AAs) were the heroes of the day... and not because they were the brightest lights I own.

With any luck they'll go on clearance soon.

$.02 smile
Posted by: aloha

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 07:24 AM

I have a Petzl Tikka XP and a Princeton Tech Apex. I generally use the Tikka XP. It is lighter and easier to use and I think has a longer battery life too. I have had mine for about three or four years now and have used lithium AAA's in it from day one. It was only a year or two later that I read on a forum that lithiums were a no no. But hey, no harm no foul. I still use lithiums in mine.

Coupled with the Tikka XP is a Surefire G2 with a BugOutGear Q5 drop-in. Blazing bright! If you had that and set it down, you would have been good to go too.

And a prehensile tail could come in handy sometime.
Posted by: Stokie

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 12:25 PM

Try the following site:

http://www.e-headlamps.com/headlamps.asp

Many of the headlamps mentioned above can be found there.

I picked up a cheap energizer headlamp, when I was at my local hardware store. Just for the situation you mentioned.

So far it's proved useful, in many ways. I now know exactly what I want from a headlamp without having forked oddles of cash. Yet it's still good enough to do the job it was intended for.
Posted by: jaywalke

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 12:48 PM

If you already have a mini-mag (or similar) light, I recommend the $5 solution of a Nite-Ize Jak-Strap:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=650&memberId=12500226
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 01:11 PM

I have a Princeton Tec Apex and a Petzl Tikka +. The Princeton Tech Apex is excellent for many uses with a 3W main beam and personal area task lighting using 4 side LEDs but is slightly heavy (uses 4 AAs) and expensive for everyday use. It has an impressive light output which can also mean a short battery life using the main 3W beam even with 4 AA cells (less than 2hrs use on the main high beam). The Petzl Tikka + is much more convenient to carry but is limited in many ways because of a lack of a main beam light. The Petzl Tikka XP, I think is a much better compromise along with the Princeton Tec EOS. The Zebralight H50 looks good also being very lightweight and with a very efficient Cree Q5 emiiter, excellent for close personal tasking but again lacks a viable beam for navigational work.

But I've just ordered a cheap and cheerful Alpkit Gamma - It has lots of features - Main beam with a 1W luxeon and 3 individual red, green and white LEDs, all being individually selectable. It also has a nice touch providing red LED capability on the battery compartment so that folks can see you from behind. Best of all it only costs around $20. If only it used AAs rather than AAAs. It also looks like the battery compartment can be removed and placed in an internal pocket to keep the batteries warm also (when Alkalines cells or NiMh cells are used in cold weather).

http://www.alpkit.com/gamma/
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 01:17 PM

possible hijack alert.

for headlamps, the above are all good recommendations.

for the situation you describe, go here:

http://www.gardeners.com/Dyno-Lites/20683,35-399,default,cp.html

it's small, keep stored / charged in your car's cigar lighter, and it's magnetic along the one side so it attaches most places on a car, and it's now on sale!

i paid the higher price and gave them for stocking stuffers. everyone i gave them to uses them.

Posted by: xbanker

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 02:47 PM

Lot of great suggestions that I can't improve on. I would add one other feature to your AA/bright criteria: get a model that allows multiple brightness settings. "I want bright" is understandable for many tasks — like your tire change scenario — but consider that a lot of usage will call for, and be better served by, a dimmer beam. The upside bonus is that you'll get longer runtime.
Posted by: miner

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I have several and my favorite is my Petzl E+Lite. Why? Because I can slip the case on my belt. The worst flashlight is the one you left at home.

I agree. I carry mine everywhere and have yet to change the batteries after a year. It takes watch batteries (ones that look like a quarter) and I have an extra set in the case for when I need them. Small, bright, multiple settings.

As a side note, my wife got me one of these for Christmas (not necessarily advocating this supplier, just the first link I could find - she picked mine up at Lowes and it does take AA batteries):

http://doitbest.com/Flashlights+and+batteries-Stanley-model-95-112S-doitbest-sku-324107.dib

It would work to change a tire. When stowed, it is similar to a normal flashlight. But just push a button and it the tripod snaps out and the head pivots to where you need the light directed. And it has 3 brightnesses.

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 03:18 PM

I have the Stanley tripod flashlight at home in my tool box. Nothing works better when you're digging inside your computer or wedged behind your TV trying to plug in that new DVD player you got for Christmas! smile

One nice feature is that the batteries store inside the legs you don't need them to be full for it to operate. If I need some extra AAs in a pinch, I can steal some from the flashlight and the light still works.

If they ever get cheap enough I'll put some in the cars for that tire change scenario. Headlamps are good but if your wife/buddy is helping you and there's only one light (and it's attached to your forehead) it's less than practical for them.

I got mine with a bonus keychain version. It's just a single LED light that runs off of a small coin cell but it's surprisingly bright, has a decent reflector, and the tripod comes in handy. I leave right on my computer for when I need to quickly duck inside the case or under my desk for something. It's too big and awkward (IMO) to be a keychain.
Posted by: miner

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I have the Stanley tripod flashlight at home in my tool box. Nothing works better when you're digging inside your computer or wedged behind your TV trying to plug in that new DVD player you got for Christmas! smile

Now that you mention it, Ive used mine for both purposes since Christmas. Extremely handy tool.

I have so many flashlights that it is almost obscene, and my wife always complains about it. We were at her sisters cabin for Thanksgiving and they had one of the tripod lights there and I commented on how handy it was. She got me one - surprise - and it is even more useful than I had immagined.

I have not priced them but would like to have one in each vehicle. But if I did that, where would I keep those Maglites?

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 04:20 PM

My wife got me a Stanley tripod LED flashlight for Christmas. Its OK, but compared to my EOS headlamp its not all that bright, nor as convenient size-wize. Decent quality though.
Posted by: horizonseeker

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 07:00 PM

to answer the zebra light question:

yes, the difference is the extra lumen output from the Q5 CREE compared to the P4 CREE. will you notice that extra 10 lumen or so? I can't. Will you have bragging rights with the later LED? Maybe.

Zebra is moving to US, my prediction, expect a price increase.

Posted by: ki4buc

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 10:50 PM

Black and Decker Snake LED Work Light

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-WLS17B-Snake-Light/dp/B000PC9M3O/

You can coil it up to sit on the ground, or draped on your neck, or maybe around an arm.
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/14/08 11:24 PM

Try:

Pelican 2630 (1 W and 3 AAs) or Pelican 2680 HeadsUp Lite Recoil LED (1 W and 4 AAs).

2630 has battery case mounted on the back of your head making it slimer and 2680 incorporates them into head of the headlamp making it bulkier but good for diving. I use the 2680 for night diving and it is amazing.

Whenever you use something with AA batteries it is going to be bulky and heavy.

Somebody suggested Petzl E+Lite. Good light that can be used in emergency and batteries take very little space. Not a big light and not the most powerful but great addition to kits becasue of its size. Also them batteries hold charge for a long time.

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/15/08 04:37 AM

I'd like to get my hands on one of these to play with because it has a lot of features I like:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=58277&cat=2,40731

The main battery pack is rechargeable with a dynamo crank. Can be run of of an external pack of 3 AA batteries...perfect for cold weather if you can keep the pack inside your clothes. Can be charged off of USB.

If the quality isn't horrible, the lights are bright enough and not too blue, seems like a versatile unit.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/15/08 10:44 AM

I don't much like headlamps as such. They have a lot of problems in my book.

The form itself, a headband with several boxes hanging off it makes it hard to store. Headlamps have to be worn or stuffed into a pack or sack. many are so ungainly that they are impossible to stuff into a regular pocket. Headlamps are more difficult to use in the hand and are subject to getting caught on things and damaged. I have seen this damage and a pattern of wear and tear with headlamps that have a separate battery box and lamp assembly connected by a cable. Where the cables go into the boxes there is a tendency to wear, become unreliable, and break.

Also there are some number of headlamps that require specialized batteries and/or special lamp assemblies. Finding replacements, on short notice or after the design is a decade old, can be a pain.

That said I do like the idea of a headlamp. Having both hands free to work and having everything you look at directly illuminated is very handy.

My solution is to get any of the many reliable two-cell AA or AA flashlights and a Nite-Ize, or its generic equivalent, headband. These headbands, which aren't at all difficult to manufacture on your own, allow you to mount the flashlight on the side of the head. Sort of a friendly Borg look. Functionally I see little difference between a side mounted light and a center mounted one.

The advantages of side mounting a small regular flashlight is that the flashlight is a compact, easy to store, easy to hold, package that is highly resistant to water damage and physical abuse. The flashlight uses commonly available batteries that you can find in any convenient store. These batteries are so common that there is little chance they will be unavailable any time in the next twenty years.

For field use I hang the flashlight ready to go in a nylon sheath and the nylon headband, a simple piece of 3/4" webbing with a few bits of elastic and Velcro sewn on gets wrapped around the belt and hangs out of the way or it rides in a pocket so compactly that it is nearly unnoticeable until needed.

The other benefit is the relative cost of a simple flashlight/ headband combination compared with the headlamps. Those headlamps can be north of $60. Reliable AA flashlights can be had for $10 and up and even the brand-name Nite-Ize headband, the most expensive option but very nice, goes for about $12.

Works for me.
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/15/08 01:32 PM

I just clip my Gerber Infinity to the brim of my ball cap. Flashlight and "headlamp" all in one, even if it is a little outside the box thinking.....

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/15/08 03:42 PM

I use a few different kinds and NEVER go anywhere with out one. The big think I look for now is LED lights instead of Bulbs, they work great, the one I use the most has three settings; 2, 4, or 8 LED's. I also have a small one with two bulbs for short trips or to put in my fanny pack for a day hike.
Posted by: Lono

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/15/08 04:34 PM

Art:
To each their own, for sure. I still use flashlights more often than headlamps, but its still very handy to have a spot when you need one. fwiw the Doug Ritter is very small and pocket-able, an elastic head string smaller than most head lamps but bigger than the Petzl string, which I have doubts about. And while the CR2032 battery will never be as ubiquitous as AAs, its available anywhere you see the AAs (and may even be available in an emergency when someone buys up all the AAs). 2032s are not as cheap at a drugstore, but buy a couple dozen in bulk from online and they are cheaper than AAs, and they don't lose their charge. (Having a stock in hand of your neccessary light fuel is the very definition of equipped). And price for headlamps is deceiving, you can pay alot for good quality lights that run at reduced temps, but the Doug Ritter is $14.95, and I have seen the PrincetonTec EOS lots of folks have mentioned for sale for $27.95.

Every product is a compromise, find the one that fits you.
Posted by: DesertFox

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/15/08 07:16 PM

I have used the nite-ize band and its pretty handy. My only complaint is that it is hard to center the light. It does fit almost any 2xAA light so its versatile.

A small Surefire clipped to a hat bill works well too. The E1L works well for that application.
Posted by: RobertNielsen

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/15/08 08:28 PM

Greetings,

As far as led flashlights go, I prefer the 9 volt Pak-Lite.

http://www.9voltlight.com

They sell a simple and inexpensive headband to be used with their flashlights.

http://www.9voltlight.com/inc/sdetail/277

The entire setup is quite versatile and packs quite small.

Cheers,
Robert
Posted by: haertig

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/15/08 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
My solution is to get any of the many reliable two-cell AA or AA flashlights and a Nite-Ize, or its generic equivalent, headband ... Functionally I see little difference between a side mounted light and a center mounted one.
I have one of those Nite-Ize headbands and never use it. The biggest problem with those (for me) is aiming. For one, it's just generally not very easy to accomplish. Second, when you use a Mini-Mag or similar light those don't have anywhere near as wide a dispersal pattern as a well designed headlamp. So that makes aiming even more critical, and it's already difficult to do in the first place. If you wear it on the right side of your head, your left vision is not so well illuminated because the flashlight does not always protrude quite far enough forward to clear the front of your head (depends on the size of flashlight you are using).

The Zipka+ I use is far smaller than any flashlight/headband combo. I find it much more comfortable too due to it's very light weight and no wide elastic headband giving you that constricted feeling. I was initially worried about the durability of the Zipkas retractable string, but mine has lasted me at least three years with zero problems. I am careful and deliberate in putting it on and taking it off however. You quickly learn that pulling it off one-handed from the front will get your fingers whacked by the retractor. But that whack is somewhat padded by the hair wad it yanks out of your head as it retracts in one-hand mode. Note to self: ALWAYS use two hands!

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/16/08 01:57 AM

Art, you need to "experience" the EOS. Be the EOS. Love the EOS.

The EOS is small - certainly no bigger than most double-AA lights (I store mine with the strap wrapped around the body in a tiny snack-sized plastic bag), no external wires to wear, takes common AAA batteries, is easy to hold in the hand when used off the head, easily fits in the palm of my hand, (I do that a lot - think of the strap as a stretchy lanyard), has great battery life (13ish hours on medium, which is what I use the most), rides VERY comfortably on my head, and can be purchased for only $27.50 at brightguy.com.

Oh, and no spring-loaded strings to mess up my hairdoo! :-o
Posted by: dweste

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/16/08 05:14 PM

Vizion 3AAA eLed. www.underwaterkinetics.com Waterproof. Narrow, diffuse, and red rotating filters built-in. Knob adjust beam up or down. Sealed, waterproof push button off and on. Converts to a lantern.
Posted by: tdr2758

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? - 02/22/08 12:21 AM

I have used Petzl headlamps for over 15 years. I do not like the LED type because they don't shine as far- they are great for close in stuff. My favorite Petzl is the 4.5 volt standard twist bezel type- batterys last a long time. The second choice is the 4AA type twist bezel type. The website dosen't show either. Check ebay and probably pick one up cheap. I use them alot for work, hunting, and around the house. Try one of those.