Blast's thoughts on survival (long)

Posted by: Blast

Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 03:38 AM

Warning, this may ramble a bit.

One of my favorite things about this forum is the large number of "Then things went wrong" posts. As much as I love reading about the newest flaming flashlight or cheeseburger in a can, the thing I most look forward to are y'all's personal experiences. Lately there's been a lot of good ones that have offered much food for thought. So, I've thought about them. This is what I came up with: There are three interrelated things you can control that will help you through a tricky situation.

The Triangle of Survival

Sure, luck will always play a part in survival, but I've focused just on what a person can control. So, let's explore this deeper.

Planning/preparations, Gear and Resourcefulness. Laid out in print they seem self evident. This blatent obviousness is why a lot of people, even those who profess to being prepared, completely miss them. Some people rely strictly on buying gear thinking each new shiney gizmo will add another layer of safety to their lives while some disdain anything more than a knife and a loincloth. Others spend a great deal of time thinking about stuff but never actually try/do anything. They read a book on edible plants then picture themselves saving a planeful of 23-yr old co-eds after crashing in the Andes. Others dabble lightly in two or three of these and consider themselves ready, but their lack of imagination about possible events and low-quality gear leaves them woefully impaired.

Now, before I go any farther I want to point out I'm as remiss in all this as most others. I love gear, I love knowledge, but actually thinking ahead as to what could go wrong is very much a weak point of mine. Many ETS member are more than willing to vouch for that...

Okay, so back to The Triangle. What's the big deal? Well, like I said these are the things YOU can control. Let's look at them deeper, starting with Planning/Preparation (those who can, do. Those who can't, teach blush)

Planning & Preparation
Under this topic falls all your thinking about possible threats, assigning likelihoods of these threats, researching about how to handle these threats, and then any steps you take to diminish these threats. This includes everything from reading this forum to watching the weather reports to stockpiling food. I also place in this corner things like keeping your body, emotions and finances healthy. It is sort of a catch-all for the verbs, the "doing stuff", of being prepared. The saying "Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance" is very true. If you don't know what threats are out there you can quickly become screwed. The same goes if you know what the threats are but don't actually get off your tush and do something about them. As you figure out the threats and begin preparing for them you enter the our favorite corner of The Triangle: Gear!

Gear
Gear is the fun one. It seems just about everyone here drools over the latest knife, signaling device or article of super-clothing. There's nothing wrong with buying gear. The problem is buying gear because it's cool rather than because it fits in with your threat assesment/abatement plan. If you've done your planning properly you are much more likely to acquire the proper gear for your situation. A down sleeping bag may work great in cold desert nights but if it turns into a soggy mass while trapped on a mountain you can end up royally screwed. Plan first, then buy gear based on YOUR likely situations, not the situations some magazine writer a thousand miles away. Gear reviews are a good starting point, but please make sure the test situations match your own, especially if it's something you may need to save your life.
First aid kits fall into a similar trap. Many people start adding all sorts of heavy-duty medical stuff to their first aid bags even through they don't have the slightest idea how to use them (Blast raises his hand blush ). You may have a suture kit in your bag but unless you stitch people up for a living just keep those needles/thread sealed. Scalpels? What, you are going to remove the appendix of some kid in the mall food court? My thoughts always used to be "buy the gear now, learn how to use it later". I've wasted a lot of money that way.
The ETS member Taurus is a great example of how to do things right. He knows the sort of environment he'll be in (planning!) and then gets gear with a proven track record of working well in that environment. His cold-weather hunting set-up is a thing of beauty. Hacksaw is another great role model. His gear isn't locked away waiting to be used for the first time in an emergency. He's out in horribly cold weather trying it out. If real world testing shows a weakness in an item, that item is replaced.

Okay, so you've figured out what likely threats you'll face and you have the gear you need. Then suddenly your friend's truck breaks down 25 miles away from anywhere and you gear is reduced to a pocket knife and shoes laces. This is where the third side of The Triangle comes into play.

Resourcefulness
This covers what you've stuck in your brain as well as what you can pull out of it. It's your knowledge and creativity that allows you, the natural tool-building top of the evolutionary chain, to figure out what to do when reality blindsides you. Primitive skills, first aid training, mechanical knowledge, etc... The more you know the more likely you are be able to find a solution to your problem. Raydarkhorse's recent adventure is the perfect example. They didn't have their normal gear (poor planning/preparation) but some proper preparation (telling someone to send help if they don't return) coupled with the ability to improvise shelter and the knowledge of proper MRE-TP technique allowed him to enjoy a situation that would have been miserable, maybe even deadly for many others.

Basically, it seems to me people get into trouble because they focus heavily on one aspect of The Triangle to the detriment of the other parts. In most cases it seems like having two of the corners covered will get you through an incident if luck is on your side but to truely be equipped to survive you need to cover all three aspects.

Anyway, just some thoughts that have been rattling around in my head. I don't know if they'll actually help anyone or if I was the only slow one who hadn't already figured all this out...

-Blast
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 04:08 AM

good post--good thinking--your just not playing with fire,
are you---
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 04:24 AM

I like the idea of the Triangle. It helps bring confusion into orderly thought and helps clarify priorities!!!

I think that "Gear" and "Preparation & Planning" are the base that allows for "Resourcefulness" to be utilized at the "Pinnacle of Need".

Just my thoughts.
Posted by: NorCalDennis

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 04:31 AM

Awesome food for thought.

I might have to print this out and post it above my monitor!

Sort of a daily reminder / focus chart.

Thanks!
Posted by: Taurus

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast
.... Plan first, then buy gear based on YOUR likely situations, not the situations some magazine writer a thousand miles away.....
-Blast

Blast my brother, This sums it all up in a nutshell. No matter how hard you try you can’t be ready for EVERY survival situation. Usually it is best to prepare for the biggest threats that you yourself will face and allow enough flexibility in your planning to change a plan if need be. In the army we call it a threat assessment. Some people try too hard to find the ultimate kit to fit every situation and then get discouraged when they find out everything isn’t always so black and white. In the end they get overwhelmed by it all. My biggest threat is the cold so my gear gets packed accordingly. I was on an advanced survival course some time back where an instructor tried to tell me that I should carry clear plastic bags in my kit in order to make a solar still (IN CANADA) I was so taken aback by this I couldn’t believe he was serious. I can blind fold myself and walk for 5 minutes in ANY direction here and most likely will fall into water of some sort. In those RARE places in Canada where it is dry there are certainly methods a hell of a lot easier to get to water than a stupid solar still. I tried making them in Afghanistan outside my tent in my spare time just to see if they were worth the hype in the popular survival books(non survival situation, just to test them out) It would take at least 5 of these stupid things to be even worth your time in the best of conditions. Now imagine trying to use one here where a really hot day is 25-30 deg cel. Because my instructor read about it in the SAS survival guide about solar stills he figured that you MUST have the ability to make one no matter where you are. Granted I can find a lot of uses for clear plastic in the field, this is not one of them. I promptly walked out of his lesson………..

Anyway, now I am rambling. My bad
Good reading blast, I always look forward to the things you post.
Posted by: cedfire

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 04:48 AM

Reminds me of the fire triangle.

Makes a lot of sense and simple to remember, too. I know I'm guilty of leaning more one way or another.

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 04:50 AM

Quote:
Reminds me of the fire triangle.

That was my insperation for the triangle, which probably comes as no suprise. grin

-Blast
Posted by: aloha

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 06:22 AM

Aloha Blast. Serious post. I just want to say that I would like to sign up for a planeload of 23 year old coeds. (don't tell the missus)
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 06:42 AM

I was just at the local used book store today leafing through a survival or martial arts book (I can't remember which) and I saw the same triangle. I was leafing so quickly, I am thinking that your post is a sign that I should go to the store and buy that book.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 12:42 PM

Hmm, so replacing the point labels on your triangle with associated personalities, I would use Dr. Evil, Inspector Gadget, and MacGyver.

Works for me.
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 01:00 PM

Blast
Excelent observation even though I could have done without you pointing out my obvious lack of planning. blush
Posted by: Blitz

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 01:07 PM

Great post Blast very well thought out. But what does this have to do with the Patriots winning the Super Bowl? grin

Blitz

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 01:16 PM

Quote:
Great post Blast very well thought out. But what does this have to do with the Patriots winning the Super Bowl?

Planning: How much beer do I need?
Preparation: Buying the beer.

Gear: Beer. Lots and lots of beer.

Resourcefulness: Using friend's shirt as a tissue to wipe away tears of joy when Giants totally screw up.

grin grin grin

-Blast
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 01:24 PM

I will make the suggestion to add in one more line making it a three-dimensional figure and that is “Situation”. The implementation of the other three lines is dependent upon the situation. Not all situations call for the same reaction, making the system dynamic and fluid.

Pete

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 01:41 PM

Quote:
Great post Blast very well thought out. But what does this have to do with the Patriots winning the Super Bowl?

Planning: How much beer do I need?
Preparation: Buying the beer.

Gear: Beer. Lots and lots of beer.

Resourcefulness: Using friend's shirt as a tissue to wipe away tears of joy when Giants totally screw up.

grin grin grin

-Blast

grin grin grin

Its like you're reading my mind.
Posted by: teacher

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 02:51 PM

Blast - excellent post.

My area that needs the most work is training/ physical fitness. Gear is easy; just buy a bunch....

Teacher

Off to the gym...
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 02:57 PM

I like the concept of the triangle. And agree for the most part, but also remember that you do not need to fight every leg of the triangle to put out the fire. If you remove the fuel, air, heat or can interrupt the chemical reaction that is causing the fire, then you might put it out.

It also depends on what is burning and the size of the fire. If you have a fire involving something like calcium hypochlorite (pool chlorine), you will probaly need to just get away. It will supply oxygen to a fire from it's decomposition, which accelerates with heat. Or if it can be handled with water or an extinguisher or something, do that.

The situation you are faced with might be able to be handled by any one of the corners of Blast's triangle or by a combination or two or maybe all three. We are more prepared when we have all three corners available to us, but how frequent are those times?

And there is one more thing to add, and it really is jsut adding to the resourcefulness comments, THE ABILITY TO KEEP YOUR HEAD AND ACT.

When I was in grad school, I put out a car fire. A classmate came in and placed an emergency call, which I heard, saying her car was on fire. I walked over to an extinguisher, grabbed it, popped her hood, discharged the extinguisher under the hood, and the fire was out. The fire dept. arrived a few minutes later, I spoke to them and told them the car was still hot, and the fire was out. And I went back inside to study. Some of my fellow students were "amazed" that I knew what to do and acted. To me it was and for most people it should be nothing to really get excited about. I think the posters here with fire training would think this was small potatos, as far as a fire goes. But for some of my fellow students, these highly educated and intelligent people would not know to grab a fire extinguisher, read the instructions and use it. Their minds were not trained to deal with any situations that required such actions.

Part of the learning and knowing what to do needs to include testing yourself to know that you will be able to think and act correctly when TSHTF or in any time of need. IMO, the way to learn how to handle some stress is to sometimes put yourself under it. I think Blast's mention of Hacksaw and Taurus using and testing out their gear is part of this.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 03:01 PM

Blast- a most excellent post.

I'd like to suggest a wee tiny modification to add PRACTICE as a specific item going with Planning & Preparation. If you made it a 4th corner that wouldn't be over emphasizing it in my opinion.

While one could argue that Preparation includes practice, the usual behavior is that the actual get-out-and-try-it learning may be the thing left for later because it requires a dedicated block of time and effort to do and a willingness to try some adverse conditions.

Now, about those coeds..... whereabouts did you say they were?
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 03:31 PM

+1 on situation. I always wonder why you guys need that much stuff to keep you warm. Isn’t is always 90F outside….!!!
Regards
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 04:00 PM

Great job man...and not too long at all.

One thing I'd like to expand on that you mentioned briefly...

I was reviewing my SAR training manual recently as it's an amazing text for survival related information. I hit on the physical fitness requirements of a SAR volunteer and realized that I've been neglecting them over the winter.

Blast mentions that you should use your gear for it to be useful (something which comes up many times in the posts on this forum). I realized after reading this post that his goes for your body too! This is an excellent reason to stay in reasonably good shape if not great shape.

This is one of my weakest areas as I don't get outside as often as I want to...especially in winter. Last week I started walking to work and back (30-40 minutes each way) despite the cold we've been experiencing. You might think you've got good cardio...try it with -35C air in your lungs. In the summer I can walk nearly indefinately as long as I've got water and the pace is right despite a touch of asthma. If I had to carry a heavy pack to work, I'm not sure I'd make it without having to stop for a breather...or several breathers!

Your body is your most important tool. Take good care of it and keep it sharp!
Posted by: Stu

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 05:18 PM

grin grin grin

-Blast

You and I need to have a serious talk. Go GIANTS, beat the CHEATERiots! laugh

My Friend Blast,
Are you OK? I haven't seen any posts of you blowing something up, hurting yourself or getting your tail whipped by a 5 pound kitten so far in 2008! You aren't ill are you? laugh
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: SBRaider
You and I need to have a serious talk. Go GIANTS, beat the CHEATERiots! laugh

AMEN!!!!!
Posted by: Arney

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 06:22 PM

Basically, it seems to me people get into trouble because they focus heavily on one aspect of The Triangle to the detriment of the other parts.

Thanks for the post, Blast. It's a good reminder to make sure you've got all the bases covered adequately first, then we can satisfy our particular whims or hobbies about getting more gear or reading up on the latest book on edible plants, etc.
Posted by: Loganenator

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 08:02 PM

Thanks for contributing your rationale distillation of points. It is a good model that embraces the classic references and many of the recent posts. Good work! smile
Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 08:50 PM

They read a book on edible plants then picture themselves saving a planeful of 23-yr old co-eds after crashing in the Andes. Others dabble lightly in two or three of these and consider themselves ready, but their lack of imagination about possible events and low-quality gear leaves them woefully impaired.

-Blast

Best post I've seen in a long time. I try to read up on the books and get some of the obvious gear (firestarter, tarp, etc,), but my planning and practice needs to be done. Thank goodness that teachers get summer off - lot's of practice.

I think that some part of the triangle should include family practice. My wife is just starting out with ETS and she hasn't realized that she has too train as well. If I get knocked out and a fire needs to be started, then I'm not certain she could pull it off.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. However, I wanted to point out that there were no beautiful 23 year-old coeds on any aircraft that I flew on until AFTER I was married cry Besides, anyone one who considers the situation wants the survival to take place on a very warm tropical islands, not on a snow-covered moutain. smirk
Posted by: marduk

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 10:03 PM

Blast - great post.
just one question. If you fall into the the triangle, do you just disappear forever like in Bermuda, or do you reappear here in the forum?
Posted by: Andy

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/01/08 11:59 PM

Blast, excellent discussion. Your comments may have a generational nuance. Being an older guy I grew up in an analog world and information was a lot harder to find. You actually had to read books or learn from older people. smile You turned that information into knowledge thru experimentation and hands on learning. I learned how to start a fire in my dad's brush pile at the age of 9. Also learned at school the next day it was fire prevention week, from the fire chief who had put out the fire (Blast, you would have been proud, flames shooting 30-40 feet in the air!)

As a kid I also had lots of time to think about the 'what if's' in life, called day dreaming, right? (you get a lot time to ponder life cutting 5 acres of grass with 30" walk behind mower). I still do that almost every day (commuting has replaced grass cutting). So I pretty much know what I would do if that plane load of coeds taxied to a stop in front of my beach hideout...But do kids these days have the time to think and play and learn from doing?

The digital generation has a lot easier access to information, tons of stuff. That's great, I use it everyday. But without the experimentation, hands-on practice, self-inflicted learning wounds, it's just information. What we all should have is knowledge.

I believe that knowledge breeds resourcefulness. With knowledge, based on experience, you leverage the gear you have and make it become useful to a particular end. I didn't always have the tools and resources I'm lucky enough to have now. So I made do with what was at hand and used tools to do things for which they weren't originally intended. So I can look at a pile of junk and find something to fix a problem, at least until I can to hardware store and buy the proper tool for the job (oooh shiny things...).

Your triangle is a darned valuable way of looking at the preparedness/survival concept. I think how each of us sees it will vary based on our experiences in life and to some degree our ages.

Thanks,

Andy

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/02/08 01:56 AM

Quote:
With knowledge, based on experience, you leverage the gear you have and make it become useful to a particular end.

Yes, that is a major key! Knowledge without experience often just leads to overconfidence. Hell, I wish I COULD learn stuff from a book. That'd be a lot quicker than having to try everything out. I think a lot of the information someone gathers through eyes/ears only is just a foundation for the true knowledge based on doing. It's a wonderful start, but just a start.

The glut of information available to people these days is overwhelming and it leads to many armchair experts but few that are truely skilled. I'm thankful that there are so many people on this board who do have real-world experience. They inspire me.

30-40 foot tall flames? Excellent!! Did your dad teach you the Zulu hide tanning technique after the fire was put out?

-Blast

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/02/08 02:28 AM

Quote:
I will make the suggestion to add in one more line making it a three-dimensional figure and that is “Situation”.

Pete, I feel "situation" is not under a person's control. My triangle is designed to clarify what a person can do to be prepared.

While formalizing the my thoughts on this I was up to a five-pointed spinning pinwheel. That seemed a bit out there so I decided to focus on the aspects a person has control over. Basically, what's in your pockets, what's in your head, and why the stuff is there to begin with.

-Blast
Posted by: ame

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/02/08 11:08 AM

So... if I cut back on my planning and preparation, does that mean I can buy more gear? smile
Posted by: Andy

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/02/08 12:13 PM

30-40 foot tall flames? Excellent!! Did your dad teach you the Zulu hide tanning technique after the fire was put out?

-Blast

In my family my mom wielded the hairbrush, my dad lectured. When one of the 5 of us got into trouble we prayed for the hairbrush, it hurt more, but it was over much quicker. My dad could make missionairies from the LDS starting looking at their watches and saying, "My look at the time, we really have to be going..."
Posted by: porkchop

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/02/08 01:24 PM

I think that "situation" belongs in the middle of the triangle.

The corners of the triangle are the solutions.

All situations require a different combination of the corners to solve the problem at the center of the triangle. I picture the triangle shifting or growing and shrinking in respone to the situation at hand.
If the situation requires gear and resoucefulness to solve then those corners move closer to the center.

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/02/08 05:35 PM

Quote:
My Friend Blast,
Are you OK? I haven't seen any posts of you blowing something up, hurting yourself or getting your tail whipped by a 5 pound kitten so far in 2008! You aren't ill are you?

Just really, really busy. The promotion at work buried me with projects and if I missed a day due to shrapnel wounds I'd be screwed. frown

-Blast

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/03/08 12:34 AM

Congrats on the promo Blast!

Blitz
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/03/08 09:05 AM

Hey Blast,
You forgot an important part - Don't annoy the cat
Posted by: katarin

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/03/08 09:14 AM

Cats, rule don't you know that by now smile
They only allow us to think we rule them, when in fact we are thier servants.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/03/08 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: katarin
Cats, rule don't you know that by now smile
They only allow us to think we rule them, when in fact we are thier servants.

Of course I know that - I'm owned by 2 cats
Posted by: red

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/04/08 12:38 AM

So true.

One of my LEO buddies hangs with the local SWAT guys. He was surprised that they do 5 days of PT and only one day of weapons training weekly. When he asked why, the leader replied, "The mental part is the hardest, pushing yourself past the wall. We can't let ourselves go soft. The weapons stuff comes much easier, and is so fun that they'll do it on their own anyway."

A state trooper with whom I d ridealongs said that rookies are overly concerned about how up-to-date their equipment is. The veterans know that equipment, although important, takes a back seat to proficiency and situational awareness.

I place myself firmly in the camp that needs more practice!!!! I practice every moment I can with my EDC, but doing multi-day survival is much tougher to schedule.

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/04/08 03:53 PM

Perhaps I should have used the term “situational awareness”, as that is something one has control over. One can prepare/plan, have the training, equipment and be a resourceful person, but if one does not have the awareness of their current situation, disastrous results may occur.

The concept comes from the aviation field, so let’s use that as a basis for including situational awareness into the mix. A pilot can have a great deal of training, the best gear, have a plan of action/flight plan and even be a highly adaptable individual, but if they ignore their current situation or are in “tunnel vision” mode, they may end up overlooking seemingly small but critical pieces information/events that may led to catastrophic events.

Think of how many times while driving (or hiking) a long or routine trip do you find yourself on autopilot? Your mind wanders and you arrive at the destination and not even remember parts of the trip. This is an example of tunnel vision or lack of situational awareness and it is critical process in increasing your survivability for any event.

Just something to consider-
Pete

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/04/08 04:04 PM

Pete,

That makes a lot more sense. Hmmm, to keep the triangle shape one could call that "planning" as in "contastantly updating one's plan" but that is a kludgey sort fix.

Another option would make one corner "Resourcefulness & Awareness" as they are both mind-bases activities but that also doesn't seem right.

Pete my friend, you may have just turned the triangle into a square!

-Blast

Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) - 02/04/08 05:32 PM

Think of it as a tetrahedron: a triangular pyramid having four sides rather then a 2-D triangle.

Pete