I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/30/08 11:44 PM

for "preparedness" today-

http://www.aldenteblog.com/2008/01/cheeseburger-in.html
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 12:07 AM

No thanks...
Posted by: horizonseeker

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 12:11 AM

I'd give it a shot.....maybe....only if it came out the can looking that fresh.
Posted by: RayW

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 12:17 AM

Might be the only way to have a Cheeseburger in Paradise.
Posted by: jasond

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 11:04 AM

I'd be willing to try one, can't be any worse than some of the MRE's I've eaten.
Posted by: Onedzguy

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 12:39 PM

I want the one with the golden arches on the can. I want to see Hamburglur with a big smile on the label.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 12:48 PM

While in Baghdad I got the rare privilege to consume a "Cheeseburger" MRE. Believe it or not, they actually make them, and they are downright awful. That was the worst MRE I ever had.

IMHO, cheeseburgers are a "fresh food" item. Trying to make one with a shelf life would be like trying to make a hot dog in a bun using a tortilla and vienna sausages. It just doesn't work.

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 01:46 PM

An MRE burger does sound pretty nasty, but as I have said here many a time, the worst MRE is better than the best C-ration...
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 03:33 PM

OBG--and others..the MRE got a bad name when the military tryed to serve them up as a everyday meal when they were designed to be used in the field..in a filthy bunker or bumping along in the
back of a truck anything you can wolf down is a treat..
does the military make any kind of "iron ration" these days
or is it all cloned fast food???
Posted by: garland

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 03:37 PM

Someone should buy this and test it out. Just make sure you keep 911 on speeddial. laugh
Posted by: brandtb

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 03:56 PM

The site sells it for 3.95 Euros. That's about $5.85 (plus S&H). Pretty hefty for a cheeburga.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 04:08 PM

Hi brandtb

Quote:
The site sells it for 3.95 Euros. That's about $5.85 (plus S&H). Pretty hefty for a cheeburga.

Just pop down to your local McDonalds and store them indefinitely in a coat pocket in your closet!! laugh Its a lot more cost effective than buying the metal can as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYyDXH1amic

The Bionic Burger sick
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 04:17 PM

for some people military rations have a certain mystique
about them..maybe its the "meal in a box" or the neat
packaging --anyway they seem to demand and get a high price
for what is a can of Spam painted OD green..

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 05:37 PM

With any other MRE I've had, I would agree, but the cheeseburger one would be undesirable even in a bunker. It would be the last one in the box if a group were having to choose something to eat.

I would rather eat a can of cold spam than the cheeseburger MRE. Then again, I kinda like spam, once in a while.
Posted by: xbanker

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 05:51 PM

If indeed the lettuce comes out of the can looking as crisp as depicted in the photo wink , my immediate concern would be, "How did they do that?"

Now, if I could stock up on White Castles-in-a-can, that's a whole other story!
Posted by: Blast

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 05:54 PM

Quote:
Now, if I could stock up on White Castles-in-a-can, that's a whole other story!

Now that's a good idea!! Hmmm, anyone near a Morman canning center want to try canning some White Castle burgers?

-Blast
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 06:56 PM

I thought you couldn't import beef from Europe because of the threat of mad cow disease? Do we even have hope of obtaining one of these in the U.S.?
Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 07:08 PM

It probably isn't made in Europe, just sold there.

I do remember going to McDonalds when they had a promotion (in early 1980's) selling hamburgers for 15 cents. We'd buy them by the sackful and toss them in the deep freeze. Later, we'd microwave them to thaw them out. crazy

I don't think they tasted bad, but I was only a teenager and could/would just about anything.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Christina
I thought you couldn't import beef from Europe because of the threat of mad cow disease? Do we even have hope of obtaining one of these in the U.S.?

You are assuming that the "meat" is beef....

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 08:21 PM

Yep, burgers by the dozen. I've done the same with taco bell, arbys, and wendys chili. How lazy can we truly get, to stuff the freezer full of fast food so I don't have to leave the house to get the goodies.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 10:00 PM

I did the same thing in about 1983/84 at college when MacDonalds sold burgers for 19 cents in Canada, we ate hundreds of them.

That way we saved money on the food bill during the week and drank it all on the weekends!

Mike
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 01/31/08 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
An MRE burger does sound pretty nasty, but as I have said here many a time, the worst MRE is better than the best C-ration...

I don't know about that perhaps it is was the ignorance of youth, or early onset dementia, but I seem to remember actually thinking a few of those Cs were alright.

I dug around a bit and found at:
http://gruntfixer.homestead.com/files/crats.html

Serves to refresh my memory but I still don't remember some of those menus.

Of those I remember the beefsteak, ham slices and spaghetti and meatballs were alright. Heavy trading to get those.

The turkey loaf and boned chicken weren't bad taste-wise but they resembled alien life forms. They could be profitably stirred into a stew-like dish to escape the visual effect.

The chopped ham and eggs, beans and wieners, meatballs and beans were pretty bad but hunger and the indiscriminate taste buds of youth allowed them to serve.

As I remember it the ham and Lima beans were pretty much universally reviled.

Unfortunately, the supply chain being what it was, as cases of rations were transfered from unit to unit they were picked over and the best meals extracted. By the time rations got to the field the beefsteak was gone and most of what was left were ham and lima beans. Usually referred to by a somewhat more colorful colloquialism.

Canned cheeseburgers. Jebus ... I don't know. Minor miracle if they can pull it off and make it come out looking like the picture and tasting right. I have my doubts.

Seems to me that there may be no food that is so good, wholesome and perfect that some fool can't stuff it into a can and convert it into a tragic parody of its original form and taste. The topper, and ultimate insult, being that they will call it "progress".

Posted by: jaywalke

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 02/01/08 12:19 AM

http://gizmodo.com/351304/cheeseburger-in-a-can-reviewed

Ask, and ye shall receive.
Posted by: Jackal

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 02/01/08 12:26 AM

only new bit is adding the cheese to the can had burger in a can in the UK for at least 15 years 4 per can in sort of gravey. use to eat em on camping/fishing trips with my father
Posted by: Jackal

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 02/01/08 12:44 AM

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&postid=339037869#post339037869

mention this thread to a friend on irc and he gave me this link with pictures of what the product looks like

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 02/01/08 01:34 AM

Jackal,

Excellent link! Thanks. You know, it really doesn't look that bad in real life...

-Blast
Posted by: LED

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 02/01/08 02:22 AM

It looks a lot like those quick-mart type microwave burgers. They're pretty good around 2am after you've had a few.

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 02/01/08 03:16 AM

"...As I remember it the ham and Lima beans were pretty much universally reviled..."

You remember correctly. I ate a lot of rats at an installation guarded by Marines, who had access to all of the stuff before we got there. Dirty dogs stole all of the "good" stuff...

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 02/01/08 03:18 AM

"...Someone should buy this and test it out..."

Hey Blast, wanna feed your kitty???

Re: I will gladly pay you Tuesday.... - 02/01/08 03:40 AM

Oldbaldguy,

Heck, I've eaten stuff in China that would gag a goat. I'm thinking that cheeseburger actually looks good. Way to good to waste on a murderous feline.

-Blast