A good, basic LED flashlight around $20?

Posted by: teacher

A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 01:15 AM

I am looking for a basic flashlight, led and runs on aa or aaa. where should start looking?
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 01:22 AM

Inova X-1
Posted by: DrmstrSpoodle

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 01:30 AM

I've got several ideas.

You can get the Energizer Hard Case torches, the kind that runs on 2 AA's. I have four of them velcroed to a case on the wall, in an easy to reach spot should there be a blackout. My family members and I can just grab them and be good to go.

If you want something pocket-sized you can get an Inova X1, which runs on only one AA battery. However you need to watch as there are several versions of these, one with a spotlight, and one without, that "floods" the light.

You can also buy a Mini-MagLite with either the LED's already equipped by the company or get a regular one and a Nite Ize LED conversion kit seperately, and DIY. However that's the route that's a little bit more expensive.

One last possibility that I know of is that Target is having, as far as I know, a clearance on some certain Victorinox stuff. I got a Swiss Army Knife/Flashlight kit for only eighteen bucks on sale, and the flashlight, also manufactured by Inova for the Victorinox company, is probably even better than the Mini-MagLite deals.

That's all I can really think of right now. If anyone else has any ideas...
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 01:36 AM

+2 on the Inova X1, I EDC it and for the price it is a good light.

Mike
Posted by: thseng

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 01:37 AM

Speaking of Target, I just picked up a "River Rock" 0.5 Watt LED (2xAAA). Not bad for $10.
Posted by: LED

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 01:50 AM

Streamlight Stylus Pro has gotten good reviews. 2AAA, .5W, forward clickie, $19 bucks at lighthound.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2967

Posted by: ironraven

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 02:16 AM

Gerber Infinity, EDCed one for two years now and my only grumble is that in three or four more years the steel split ring I have on it will wear through the aluminum end cap's lanyard loop.
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 02:34 AM

+1 on the gerber infinity. I used to EDC a CMG infinity (the original manufacterers) before I lent it out to a friend during the hurricanes down here in florida in '04. Never got it back *grumbles* Couldn't find another locally for a year and a half, I guess that's when gerber was aquiring the infinity line.......picked up a gerber as soon as I could, love the new design, blew the CMG version out of the water IMO. Its been on my keyring ever since. Use it quite often and I STILL have the battery that it shipped with inside of it. Enegizer bunny, eat your heart out

-Bill Liptak
*in no way affiliated with Gerber, so's ya knows ;)*
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 02:50 AM

+2 on the Gerber. It's never let me down and the more I use it, the more I shelf my bigger lights.
Posted by: norhumco

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 02:54 AM

The Dorcy Metal Gear LED has been a fantastic flashlight for me. The thing sips on batteries.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 03:07 AM

Hi Teacher,

Amazon.com are doing a MiniMag 3W LED 3AA with holster for $21.58

http://www.amazon.com/Instrument-Maglite...6175&sr=8-1

or the 2AA version is available at http://www.action-lights.com/flashlights/maglite/led/2aa-led-holster.asp?bhcp=1 for $17.13, the 3AA version for $18.48

A review for the MiniMag 3W LED 2AA is available at

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_minimagled.htm

Posted by: timo

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 03:17 AM

I would suggest concentrating on AA power. There are plenty of good choices already mentioned. One less type of battery to store means less storage space used and more interchangeability with your other BOB gear, like a small transistor radio and PLB.
Posted by: KenK

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 03:23 AM

After finding the Princeton Tec EOS LED headlamp the days of flashlights are pretty much behind me. Great light! It fits comfortably on my head, or with the strap wrapped around my hand, it pretends to be a great flashlight.

Runs on 2 AAA's. Lifetimes: High, 2 hours constant brightness, 4 hours declining light; Medium, 9 hrs constant brightness, 3 hrs declining light; Low, 44 hours constant brightness, 16 hours declining light. Lithiums are OK (not the case for all lights).

Right now on sale at http://www.brightguy.com/products/Princeton_Tec_EOS.php for $27.50
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: thseng
Speaking of Target, I just picked up a "River Rock" 0.5 Watt LED (2xAAA). Not bad for $10.

I wanted a small flashlight that could ride in a a coffee mug on my desk for light use. Working on the computer I don't keep the lights on very high and if I wish to look up something in a dictionary I need just a bit more light to read the fine print.

I was in Target looking at their LED flashlights. The Inova X-10 seemed similar. Both rugged designs. The difference was the River Rock was less than $10 and the Inova was closer to $20.

I got the River Rock and have been pleased by the performance.
Posted by: gulliamo

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/27/08 11:40 PM

I have to go with the Fenix.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html
Posted by: Comanche7

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 12:43 AM

teacher,
It is very likely that answers to your question and many others that you will think of later may be found somewhere in the CandlePowerForums.Com They have many different forums that discuss almost every flashlight ever made, along with the pros and cons of each, including head to head reviews of many different brands / types. HTH Regards, Comanche7
Posted by: kilgor

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 02:51 AM

$10.90 delivered to your door. It is bright and a high quality light. I have one and a better bargain you will not find. My wife has proclaimed it hers and it has since disappeared into her purse.

Gray version:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3609

Black version:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3607

Several reviews of the light including beamshots, etc. This is a must read:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=175474&highlight=rc-g2

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 02:02 PM

While I do have several high dollar LED lights, my most used one is a $20 3W Minimag from Wallyworld...
Posted by: halogen

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 02:18 PM

What, no mention of the Arc AAA?! (I even searched the page...)

(A very good single-AAA option but may be smaller than you want.)

eeph
Posted by: bmo

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 02:58 PM

+4 the gerber infinity.

eeph, i thought we were keeping it to $20? i like your choice, but you're talking about a $40 light ($30 for the light + at least $10 to ship).

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: eeph

What, no mention of the Arc AAA?! (I even searched the page...)

Ahh, I was thinking in pounds, not dollars. That explains it.

eeph
Posted by: jenkinma

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 04:30 PM

+5 for the Infinity

I've also converted one of my Mini-Mags too.

Can you have enough flashlights? grin
Posted by: bmo

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 04:35 PM

smile dude, that's funny. i was hoping you were going to post back instead and tell me where i could get a arc for $20.

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 08:31 PM

By the way, I also have a Gerber Infinity and it is weak. The beam is low powered and of a sickly blue hue. It uses an outdated Nichia CS 5mm led. There are MUCH better lights out there.

Here's a $23 (delivered price) light I just got in. It is small and fits in a pocket well, but is very bright. It also has multiple levels so you can have it run for hundreds of hours on 1AA battery. The Gerber only runs about 25 hours.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8752

Here's a thread about it:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=186062

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 08:36 PM

I suspect there is something wrong with your Gerber then my friend. Mine is the brightest LED light I have which doesn't use a Luxeon style LED.

Sure it doesn't throw the beam as far without a reflector or lense but it's very bright over short distances.

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 08:48 PM

I doubt it. It is comparable to My Inova X1 which also uses a Nichia CS led and also is weak. At least the light from the X1 is white.

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 09:04 PM

I see now that it uses a Luxeon LED. That's comparing apples to chairs to me. Each has it's pros and cons. I use both a 5mm LED light (the gerber) and a Luxeon style in my headlamp.

I like my lights to have 2 modes...on and off. Less to go wrong. What do you need 20 modes for anyhow?

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 09:42 PM

Read the first post in the thread I linked to. As I use it it has 6 modes. Very Low, Low, Medium, High, Very Low, and 5 second beacon (where it flashed every 5 seconds).

If you just click it on and off it will stay in 1 mode. It remembers the mode you were in last when you turn it back on. So you have an on off flashlight if you want.

If you don't want it that's fine. I value being able to dim the light for reading and long runtime, but still having a flashlight that can be WAY brighter than a 5mm led light like the Gerber.

I have the Gerber on my key chain, but it's mostly a spare battery carrier to my other lights and an extreme back up if they break.

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 09:47 PM

It's worth the effort for me. As I said to Hacksaw, it can be used as a one mode on-off flashlight if desired. I don't see how pushing a button a second or third time for longer runtime mode is much effort. To each their own.

I will have a review with pictures of the lights and beam shots on the wall and back yard up tonight on CPF. I will include the Gerber for comparison and post a link back to the review tonight.

I am also going to test to see how long the lights will run on low power. I suspect this light will last for more than 150 hours on one AA battery, so you should check back in a week or two for an update.

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/28/08 09:56 PM

It's CPF. They go down every now and then for short periods of time. I don't know why.

There's no programing to be done. There are three preprogrammed groups of levels. You choose which group you want to use and that's it.

I think when you read the first post in that thread I linked, it will clear it up.
Posted by: Sam_Quint

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/29/08 12:45 AM

Teacher, I use this 2 aaa pocket led light. Tiny, waterproof, long running and tough. Uke link

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/29/08 02:35 AM

Here's the comparison with the Gerber and others.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2335532#post2335532

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/29/08 02:37 AM

There are flashlights where you can program them with very low lows , very high highs, and any where in between, but they are much more expensive than the $20 limit in the original post in this thread.

This is the best $20 light I've found.

For more expensive programmable lights look up Novatac and Liteflux.
Posted by: wolf

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/29/08 06:01 PM

I love my River Rock 1AA LED. I've had it for a couple years now and it's very dependable and the light is good.

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/30/08 05:23 AM

The runtime test for both the Gerber and the MTE light are done. See the link above for more info.

Verdict: the Gerber lasted 14 to 21 hours and dimmed significantly before it died. The MTE lasted 23 to 27.5 hours, stayed at peak brightness the whole time due to it's electronic regulation, and is MUCH brighter on high.

They both go for $20-$25 delivered. Your choice.
Posted by: xbanker

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/30/08 09:54 PM

Kilgor -

Regarding the MTE ... didn't spot this info in your CPF review or on DX site ... can it handle primary lithium AA? Want as gift for brother in Montana; likes lithiums for their cold weather capabilities.

Thanks
Posted by: Blast

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/30/08 11:03 PM

Hey Sam, welcome to the fire newguy!

Um, interesting profile pic. I'll try not to take it personally grin

-Blast
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/30/08 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Sam_Quint
Teacher, I use this 2 aaa pocket led light. Tiny, waterproof, long running and tough. Uke link

That's a cool little light.

Reading this thread it occurs to me that perhaps recommending a particular make and model may not be the best way to go. Maybe it would be better to define what makes a good light for a particular situation. I might start a new thread.

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 01/31/08 01:44 AM

Yes, lithiums work just fine in it. I hear you on the cold weather. I got poor runtimes on all of the lights. I think this was due to the cold in my garage (15 to 40 degrees F) sapping the NiMH rechargeables. I am rerunning the runtime test inside where it is warmer.

I will keep you guys updated.

Re: A good, basic LED flashlight around $20? - 02/16/08 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: bmo
smile dude, that's funny. i was hoping you were going to post back instead and tell me where i could get a arc for $20.

Sure :-)

http://www.arcflashlight.com/accessories.shtml

On sale for $17.95 while stocks last, if you don't mind non-matching head and body finishes (natural and camo). I don't know how much shipping will be.

eeph