PIMP YOUR RIFLE

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

PIMP YOUR RIFLE - 01/19/08 03:21 AM

OK..that was just a teaser--BUT..i did read at another site
that the Forest Service does--did--maybe did..sharpen the
leaf spring in rifle magazines to provide an emergency blade.
if Granddad could skin an Elk with a Barlow knife i guess
you could gut a rabbit with the sharp end of a spring--
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: PIMP YOUR RIFLE - 01/19/08 04:47 AM

And if you find an abandoned truck you can make Tom Brown's Tracker out of a leaf spring like Benicio Del Toro did in The Hunted!
Posted by: ironraven

Re: PIMP YOUR RIFLE - 01/19/08 01:30 PM

I wouldn't, but I'm over protective of my magazine springs.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: PIMP YOUR RIFLE - 01/19/08 02:02 PM

You don't need a blade to skin a rabbit. Make a little hole with a sharp stick or something, stick a couple of fingers in, yank in the proper directions, and you will turn the bunnysuit inside out...
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: PIMP YOUR RIFLE - 01/19/08 10:18 PM

Just get an old mauser milsurp and use the bayonet. If you haven't stopped the rabbit with 5 rounds of Brenneke TUG 196 grain bullets kneel quickly, brace rifle butt before you and wait for the death charge. Try not to listen to your heart sounding like a drum. Ernest Hemingway, Elmer Keith and SGT York are standing behind you in spirit.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: PIMP YOUR RIFLE - 01/19/08 10:20 PM

Modifying ANY spring is a real dumb idea, given they are tempered to give a precise amount of resistance based on wieght.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: PIMP YOUR RIFLE - 01/19/08 11:10 PM

Thanks Chris--i needed a laugh--that will also save me the
time and energy taking my 1895 apart and fooling with the
spring for a photo post--
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: PIMP YOUR RIFLE - 01/19/08 11:23 PM

Sounds, as they say, too smart by half.

Slip a small pocket knife in your pocket, or add one to the butt-stock or hand grip storage. Even the smallest, cheapest and simplest pocket knife is going to be better than a sharpened magazine spring.

Also, at some time in the future your going to want to disassemble those magazines for cleaning and inspection and odds are that if one of the springs is sharpened your going to forget about it and fillet a finger.

I heard about a guy hiding a razor blade in his shoe. He forgot about it until one day he slipped on his shoe and the blade laid open the sole of his foot. Evidently it had slipped out of position and turned edge-up when he slid his foot out the last time.

Beware of potentially dangerous stuff hidden and forgotten. You will forget it when you need it and it can come back and bite you.