Car Extinguisher Storage

Posted by: Anonymous

Car Extinguisher Storage - 06/13/02 04:36 PM

OK since i have a new car and don't feel like putting holes in it just yet, would this work?<br><br>I have a Camelbak that serves as an emergency pack, it has a few straps on each side, if I put the pack behind my seat, and strap the fire extinguisher to the straps on it, would that serve as decent stowage? It's a large extinguisher and a large pack. I have a Honda CRV and the seats can be folded down so there's no way it will slide up front from behind the rear seat.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Car Extinguisher Storage - 06/13/02 05:23 PM

While under normal situations, it may not slide up to the front. However, in an accident, it may become dislodged from the webbing and become a deadly flying object. Pete
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Car Extinguisher Storage - 06/14/02 01:22 AM

It should work. You have two vital parameters here; A. immediate access B. It won't become a missile in a collision or hard braking.

Re: Car Extinguisher Storage - 06/18/02 12:49 AM

As a member of the "fire extinguisher behind the seat" club, here are a few thoughts-- The things are pretty heavy and indeed can become missiles in the event of an accident. I have also seen one after it exploded in a side-impact collision-- it made an impressive mess -- it was bolted to the inside wall of a "king" cab truck. Mine is strapped onto the mounting of my full-sized truck's driver seat- behind the seat (i have a dodge- "club cab"). I used a combination of two old-style seatbelt straps and a piece of tubular climbing webbing to hold these straps and prevent them from sliding off the extinguisher. It works great, is very secure and comes out pretty quickly-- I have used it three times so far. It is kind of hard to explain here how it works. I also wanted to avoid drilling into the vehicle. Also, I use a fairly sizable extinguisher-- not the smaller/ more common ones. I'd be glad to send a diagram and look at what size I have if anyone is interrested.

Re: Car Extinguisher Storage - 06/18/02 12:57 AM

<br>I bet I know what Camelback's reply would be.... ;-)

Re: Car Extinguisher Storage - 06/18/02 02:06 AM

fingers--<br><br>The good news is that you clearly have a handle on how to properly store an extinguisher in a safe manner....the bad news---3 car fires!?!?!?! Do NOT give up your membership in the "fire extinguisher behind the seat" club! <br><br>Robb