EMT members: first aid kit for car?

Posted by: Blast

EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/07/08 09:17 PM

After reading a number of posts here about car crashes I've decided to rebuild my car's first aid kit. My medical training consists of the Red Cross First Aid class taken yearly here at work, so I'm basically only one step up from a layman.

I want my kit to cover two purposes. The first is just to handle the day-to-day needs of a family man. Scrapes, minor cuts, ant bites etc. I think I have that covered.

The second purpose of the kit is to deal with a larger trauma incident, say the first person on the scene of a car wreck. This is where I want EMT members to respond. What stuff do you think a person with basic first aid training should have to help a patient until you arrive? Right now I'm thinking surgical gloves, a bunch of guaze bandages, seatbelt cutter, space blanket (shade & warmth) and some signalling devices to divert traffic (road flares or safety triangle).

Anything else? EMT shears? Sterile wound flushing fluid? SAM plints? Nothing, just stay out of the way?

Thanks,
-Blast

Posted by: clearwater

Re: EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/07/08 09:33 PM

Good stuff. In addition I like to have-

a CPR mask
rubber coated work gloves for protection from sharp metal etc.
wool blanket for warmth, cushioning, or an improvised stretcher
tape (duct or otherwise) for holding on the dressings
headlight

in a pickup truck I have a sheet of plywood that is both bed liner
and backboard (cut in pieces so the backboard is easy to get out.
I used this when a little kids dog was hit and we had to move it
out of the road.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/07/08 09:45 PM

There's no way that I want you moving a patient unless that life is in dire danger (like the car hanging on the edge of a cliff. Even then, your safety comes first, even if the car goes over with the patient in it. Don't be there too).

Shears, latex gloves (or non-), maybe some work gloves. 4x4x, some of the 5x9 abdominal pads available at drug stores, some gauze rolls, a few ace wraps. Get medical tape, not duct tape (and never apply circumfrentially). Ice packs if you want, some hot packs too (mainly for temperature control). CPR mask if you're comfortable, though that means moving a patient (see above). Maybe a few triangle bandages. Please don't splint.

Really, as a first responder, just focus on ABC's. Don't do more than that - the majority of accidents require some sort of spinal care (don't attempt) and bleeding control (do attempt)

Also, don't feel bad if the first folks on scene cut everything right off... we have to document injuries, after all!

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=10200&Number=115963#Post115963

EDIT: Be sure if you set out flares that there isn't any fluid spillage from the accident. Last thing you want is a flashback of fire running back into a dripping fuel tank.

Re: EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/07/08 09:46 PM

I should add in my regular car kit I have things like a tow strap, a come-along, a fire extinguisher, a tarp, assorted flashlights, duct tape, window punch, etc... I'm asking specifically what first aid stuff to carry rather than roadside repair tools.

Clearwater, I like the idea of a sheet of plywood though I don't feel up to putting someone on a backboard. Hmmm, if it came to that I'd probably remove my truck's tailgate and use that along with a tarp.

-Blast
Posted by: clearwater

Re: EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/07/08 10:26 PM

Liability wise, you have to operate within your training,
and you want to cause no further harm.

And you have to use good judgment.

If you are in an urban area and know help will be there soon, it may be better to stay out of the way.

If you are in a rural area and the EMT's won't be there for 45
minutes and someone is lying in the road on a blind corner, you
may want to move them.

You may want to do things for your own family that you may not
want to risk on a stranger, sad to say.

Having the equipment available can be helpful in those rural settings too, if an off duty first responder etc. is there but
without the gear.

Be sure and treat for shock.

Posted by: Russ

Re: EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/08/08 12:26 AM

I'd be your basic under-trained first responder. Initially my reaction will be to provide traffic control/blockage of the accident and make sure 9-1-1 is called. I need to pick up a few of those Powerflare things in lieu of incendiaries. They look like they'd be very useful.

Injury-wise, I've got an AMK Comprehensive Kit in the truck, but I'll probably add more 4x4's. I can handle bleeding, other peoples blood doesn't bother me, my own blood bothers me if it's making a mess -- course I've never been faced with a life threatening injury.

I need CPR training, I'm so long out-of-date. . . then an ARC First Aid course.

Re: EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/08/08 03:33 AM

Those powerflares look interesting but they kind of go against the very core of my being. grin

85% of my road time is in urban areas. It seems like warning other traffic, calling 911, then maybe stopping bleeding is all I should attempt. Okay, I can plan for that.

Thanks for the responses. And to the EMTs, thanks for everything you do. I promise I'll try not to make your jobs harder.

-Blast
Posted by: hailstone

Re: EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/08/08 05:09 AM

From my experience many, bulky, warm blankets that you don't mind parting with would be the most important thing to carry.

Once you have checked ABC's, keep the patient warm and comfortable. It has already been mentioned that just about any thing you do beyond that will be redone by the responding EMS crews.
Posted by: aardvark

Re: EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/08/08 07:34 AM

I think i had a similar level of training (community first aid with cpr) and i think all i'm really qualified to do is ABC. For car wrecks (and in my case, bike wrecks), the place where limited training could be the most help is in preventing someone (or yourself) from bleeding out which may happen in minutes. I've taken to carrying around a couple of those trauma bandages with integral elastic wrap, before that i had a bunch of 4x4s and surgical pads and ace elastic wrap which is basically the same thing.
Posted by: JIM

Re: EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/08/08 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Also this may sound stupid, but a friend of mine pointed out how helpful it would've been when he split open his thigh (Don't ask...Lol) if he had some Duct Tape. So I got to thinking and looked at my Roll of Gorilla Glue Duct Tape. That sticks damned near well to flesh...so I am gonna throw a roll into my FAK in my car's trunk. Might come in handy for holding together a big wound for a bit.

I hope you put some gauze between the wound and the duct-tape.. shocked

Anyhow, Duct-tape is a great addition for any FAK.

Re: EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/08/08 07:54 PM

What is the protocol for using duct tape vs medical tape if duct tape is all you have and what do you mean by not applying circumferentially? How much damage can duct tape do?
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/08/08 08:42 PM

Quote:
What is the protocol for using duct tape vs medical tape if duct tape is all you have and what do you mean by not applying circumferentially? How much damage can duct tape do?

I’ll stick my 2 cents here:

What is meant by circumferentially is all around the limb, in such away as it may act as constricting band and prevent adequate blood return resulting in edema/swelling and possible tissue damage. Gauze and gauze–like products like Kling and Curlex are bandages (used to secure a dressing i.e. 2X2, 4x4), which are generally wrapped circumferentially, but over long surface area, distributing the compression over a greater surface area. Duct tape and even medical surgical tape when applied is generally isolated to a narrow band to secure the gauze/gauze like product, if you completely go around the limb with the tape you can create a constricting band, so never completely make a complete wrap with the tape. Only use enough tape to secure the bandage.

Duct tape can be used if medical tape is unavailable, but caution should be used if it applied directly to the skin, as it might cause major irritation (since the glue is not designed for contact with human skin) and removal can result skin damage especially in the elderly who tend to have skin breakdown very easily, just handling them too roughly can result in major skin sloughing and bruising.

Pete

Re: EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/08/08 08:49 PM

Thanks Pete, that's what I thought when I read MDinana's comment but wanted clarification. Duct tape is good stuff, but like any other tool it can be used incorrectly.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: EMT members: first aid kit for car? - 01/09/08 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Quote:

I’ll stick my 2 cents here:

Thanks for picking up my slack here! Ditto Pete.

Duct tape is pretty much like PP said. Another thing to worry about is people with tape allergies (it happens). Plus, you know that when wet it may not stick well. Try sticking it on a bloody wound and you may be disappointed.

But it's "supposedly" great for securing a patient to a backboard! We were allowed to do that in CA for a few years.