The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything!

Posted by: Anonymous

The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/06/08 10:32 PM

Well many of you asked for it so here it is. Pictures of my complete gear including EDC stuff, SAR stuff, BOB stuff, and stuff stuff.

This is the max and there is some redundancy. It's unlikely that I'd ever be carrying ALL of this stuff at once...but I like to have it all together so that I can reconfigure on the fly and just in case it's nice to have it. There will also be several differences between this set up and what I'd have in the summer time.

I did forget to take pictures of a few things. I'll try to make note of anything that slipped by the camera un-photographed.

Also, I have several other posts featuring the kits inside the pack...I won't repeat myself but I'll try to link the other posts where applicable.

Lastly, I bought a lot of this stuff recently and only came up with the ideas in the last few months so this exact setup has yet to be tested. As always advice is welcome.

I'll start with some of the smaller stuff

This is my 'eat it while it's hot' kit. It's attached to the outside of the pack so I don't have to dig to eat a previously prepared hot meal on the fly:

• Outdoor Research 1L bottle holster
  • Thermos Thermocarafe wide mouth jar
  • GSI stainless mug
  • Plastic Spoon

This is what's in the top pocket. I don't like to put too much in here because it's hard to get to and isn't waterproofed.

• Garrity high power LED headlamp
  • Tape Measure
  • Coghlans bug net hat (not needed in winter but it lives inside the hat so it doesn't get lost)
  • Outdoor Research full brim Gore Tex hat
  • waterproof maps of Edmonton and Alberta
  • 4 Chemical hand warmers
  • NOT PICTURED: Leather palm work gloves for rope work

This is what is in one of the side pockets:

• Trangia alcohol fuel bottle
  • Stainless cup (I don't really need this little cup. I just love it when one piece of gear fit's into another!)
  • lightweight cord (looks like it's time to buy more, I'm running low)
  • NOT PICTURED - Gerber Gator Exchange A Blade folding saw. It fit in the pocket so nicely I didn't notice it when I was taking everything out of the pack

This is what's in the other side pocket:

• Gerber Gorge folding shovel
  • Fuel for the canister stove
  • Gerber LMF II knife (without all the extra MOLLE crap that it comes with.

Food is very important if I'm going to be active so I keep up to 4 days worth of light weight eats in the main compartment of the big pack:

• 2 freeze dried entrées (2 servings each). The idea is to prepare it all and put 1/2 in the thermos jar for later.
  • 4 pouches of instant oatmeal
  • 1 Tube (Coghlan's reusable squeeze tube) of Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo. The recipe can be found here.
  • NOT PICTURED: Most of the time I'll have some crackers, flat bread, or tortillas to put the goo on...but for storage I don't keep any perishables in the pack.

As seen in another post, the much of the main compartment is filled with another pack which is in itself filled with more stuff. Here's what's in that pack:

• Mountain Hardwear Scrambler pack ('citron' color)
  • Orange Outdoor Research Helium dry bag
  • Gray Outdoor Research Helium dry bag
  • Big First Aid Kit (I won't get into the details here as I've already made a post about my FAK. The yellow box is a bite/sting extraction pump from Bestglide)
  • Clothing Kit (posted here. )
  • Signal Mirror (there's a little flat pocket in the pack that's the perfect size)
  • Assorted cargo webbing straps

So what's in those dry bags? I'm glad you asked!

One of the problems I've always had with big expedition style packs is that it's a huge chore to get anything in or out unless you take them off or have a friend who's got some extra inches on you. I combat this by carrying up to 2 shoulder bags.

One is the BCB Integral Survival canteen kit and the other is a small shoulder bag from the MEC.

The shoulder bag is also my EDC bag which I carry to work so it's contents are a bit all over the place:
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2105/2173226200_56620b2a58.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2222/2173263498_11e1cc90a3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2340/2172508101_ff017acc2d.jpg[/img]
  • Shelter Kit (posted here. I've packed the guy lines and pegs on the outside now to make room for a space blanket and to make getting the poncho in and out easier and less risky)
  • Kuny's 4 pocket belt pouch
    • Gerber Diesel multipliers
    • Mechanical Drafting Pencil
    • Sharpie
    • Empty pocket...believe it or not I can't find anything to put here
    • NOT PICTURED: Mini Mag Light with Lite-ize LED conversion bulb(there's a loop for one on the side of the pouch)
  • Coghlan's medium dry bag
    • Emergency TP
    • SAS Survival guide pocket book
    • Sar training log
    • Secure USB key
  • Small grid paper Moleskine
  • Battery box (8xAA)
  • Black roller ball pen
  • Cross 3 way pen (red, blue, pencil)
  • Cigar tube
  • Personal pocket kit
  • Waterproof wallet (SAR info, credentials, etc)
  • Snacks
  • Cotton Bandanna
  • Black garbage bag
  • SPF 30 lip balm
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Mini Bic lighter
  • SPF 45 sun block
  • Pocket First Aid Kit
  • NOT PICTURED: My compass...what a thing to forget to take a picture of!
  • NOT PICTURED: Maps. There is a nice flat pocket in the back where I keep any topo maps when hiking or doing SAR work.

The Canteen kit is a bit on the heavy side but that's only because it's full of water. It has everything needed to purify and/or boil water on it's own or in conjunction with what's in the pack. The picture shows the old cooking cup and cooker but functionally the same.
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2024/2098070563_1cbfe5af8f.jpg[/img]
  • BCB NATO style canteen
  • BCB NATO style canteen top cup
  • BCB NATO style bottom cooking cup (PTFE coated)
  • Lid for cooking cup
  • Hanger for cooking cup (to cook over fire)
  • Cooker (can be used with alcohol stove, ESBIT fuel, or as a makeshift tealight stove)
  • Modified Vargo Titanium alcohol stove
  • Iroda jet lighter (clipped to outside)
  • MSR MIOX pen
  • 4 Hexamine fuel tablets
  • Waterproof container with strike anywhere matches

Since we're talking about everything, here's a picture of my EDC pocket and belt stuff:
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2399/2172653367_5c17c2085d.jpg[/img]
  • Petzl E+Lite
  • Victorinox Cybertool 34 Swiss Army Knife
  • Highgear watch (compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, etc)
  • Benchmade ERT-1 rescue tool
  • Blackberry Pearl 8130 (The GPS comes in handy sometimes)
  • Wallet
  • Gerber Infinity Ultra flashlight
  • Gerber EAB pocket folder (and money clip)
  • Ronson Jet Lite butane lighter
  • Micro magnet compass
  • Gerber S30V Freeman Hunting knife
  • NOT PICTURED: Kershaw Cyclone folding knife (It's not likely I'd carry both the folder and the belt knife anyhow)

For me, my jacket is an important piece of gear...especially in the winter.
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2129/2173318318_98b2804f3c.jpg[/img]
  • Columbia Vertex Shell (waterproof/breathable)
  • Rite in the Rain notepad
  • Fisher Space Pen
  • Earbuds/handsfree for Blackberry
  • 2x chemical hand warmers
  • Helly Hansen polypro glove liners
  • MEC cycling gloves (aka: Ninja Turtle Gloves)
  • Mec lightweight toque
  • MEC fleece head over
  • NOT PICTURED: Balaclava (not often used...hence the reason I didn't know where it was at for the picture.

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2367/2173358558_d494b466ef.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2194/2172546951_f61f835ed1.jpg[/img]
Here it is all splayed out on my couch. There are several items not mentioned above which are shown here
  • Uniden GMRS radio (optional. On shoulder strap pouch)
  • Garmin GPS 12 (std. SAR GPS for our group. On shoulder strap pouch)
  • Gerber brush machete (optional)
  • 2 telescopic trekking poles (each has button compass and thermometer on wrist strap. Each has threaded head under the knob for use as a camera mono-pod)
  • Telescopic Aluminum Snow Shovel (optional)
  • Princeton Tec submersible emergency strobe (on pack. I'm working on a quick release system that will attach the strobe to 10 or more feet of light cord. The strobe floats...I'm not going to count on the pack floating)
  • Cycle Planet red LED flasher (on pack)
  • 2 light weight aluminum carabiners
  • Snow baskets for trekking poles (on back. Attached with split rings and an accessory 'biner)
  • 1 extra MEC accessory carabiner
  • Sleep System (posted on here. )
  • Thermarest Ridge Rest sleeping pad
  • NOT PICTURED: Large stainless Thermos bottle. I just came up with the idea to carry one to keep water from freezing (as can be seen in a recent post) and I haven't decided where to keep it yet.
  • NOT PICTURED: Source 1.5L water bladder. This usually gets tossed in at the last second with the hose hanging out wherever and once again in the last seconds I forgot about it. For winter I wouldn't use this and will be using the (not pictured) thermos for keeping water from freezing while I carry it.

Here's a picture of everything packed up ready to go. the shovel would attach to the axe loop on the right side of the pack...as could one of the poles if only one were needed. small bungees hold the sleep pad onto the pack. I may buy a stuff sack for the pad just to make things a little easier to reconfigure.
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2102/2172611587_389eacd05d.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2039/2172589435_b434508998.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2390/2172779611_739ee5b069.jpg[/img]
And here I am wearing the pack. Since I put it on to pose while my wife took the pictures, I weighed myself. This was the real scary part since I had no idea how much ALL of this stuff was going to weigh once put together. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it comes in at 51.5 lbs. While that's too heavy IMO for most activities and definately too much for anything long range, it's manageable...especially since for most activities I'm not going to have ALL this gear, just a selection of it. I forgot to include the big Thermos full of water and that would add some weight as well but not too much. I weigh about 230 and consider myself to be in fair shape so I could do 50 lbs if I had to...I wouldn't win any races but I'd get there. There's also the fact that this is winter gear. In summer several pounds would be shed at least.

I hope that all of you still reading enjoyed it...it took me all day to make this one post! smile
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/06/08 10:56 PM

Nice Post Hacksaw!

You have some really neat equipment and I like you "kit within a kit" concept.

Thanks,

Mike
Posted by: Jeff

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/06/08 10:57 PM

WOW. You're impressively organized.

Thanks for taking the time to post your equipment.

It is helpful for people to see and compare it to what they have.

Posted by: Blast

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/06/08 11:15 PM

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need a "we're not worthy!" smiley face.

Very good job.

-Blast
Posted by: Kris

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/06/08 11:44 PM

Impressive!
Posted by: smitty

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/06/08 11:48 PM

Very nice post Hacksaw! What brand or where did you get the small zippered pencil cases?

smitty
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 01:01 AM

Lots of good stuff. I am a little surprised that the weight is only 51 pounds tho.

You have one piece of gear that I do not recall every seeing mentioned here before. Tape measure. I use one a lot in my everyday life, but never needed one when backpacking. What do you use it for???
Posted by: jasond

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 01:36 AM

You have an awesome settup there. Looks like some great gear. Thanks for taking the time to post all the photos it's interesting to see how other people combine all their "stuff"

Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I wouldn't win any races but I'd get there.

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with stopping to rest once in a while. As long as you have all your gear, you can set up for the night just about anywhere.

Those Gerber folding shovels are awesome. I have one. I was surprised by how compact it is.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 03:03 AM

I really like your organization. I know there has already been a request as to where you go the pencil cases.

You mention that you wouldn't be carrying all of it- can you give us a typical load out, in general terms?
Posted by: Lance_952

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 03:12 AM

Really good pack!!!!
As for the weight, I am in poor shape and did fine with a 50pound pack, ended up doing 6 miles in 90+ degree weather with way to little water (never make that mistake again)

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: smitty
Very nice post Hacksaw! What brand or where did you get the small zippered pencil cases?

smitty

My wife bought them at Walmart during the back to school sales. I'm sure something similar can be found a similar store...Super K, Target, Dollar Stores, etc.

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Lots of good stuff. I am a little surprised that the weight is only 51 pounds tho.

You have one piece of gear that I do not recall every seeing mentioned here before. Tape measure. I use one a lot in my everyday life, but never needed one when backpacking. What do you use it for???

You and me both! I was expecting it to come out over 60 lbs for sure with the shoulder bags. The tape measure is part of my SAR gear. I've never needed it, just supposed to have one just in case.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
You mention that you wouldn't be carrying all of it- can you give us a typical load out, in general terms?

It depends. I'll pack my bag differently each time I go out into the wild for whatever reason.

If I were to pick up the bag right now and say go on a weekend hike in the woods (the most likely scenario at this time of year considering the weather is so warm!) I'd ditch some of the gear. The first aid kit would go unless I were going to be out for more than a couple of days (my pocket kit is enough to cover me for that), I'd get rid of the extra cooking fuel and go with just one type (I don't need all of it for just a couple of days). The toiletries bag would go...I can put up with my own smell for a day or 3. I'd only take the food I needed with maybe a bit extra for an emergency situation. Leave the tape measure. Take the 'personal' stuff out of my shoulder bag (I don't need so many pens for example). For camping I'd cut back on the tools. Just a shovel, saw, a knife and a multitool.

For a SAR call out I'd try to bring it all and repack quickly once I know more about the situation. If I'm just on a hasty team I might only need the shoulder bag by itself...though I might trade out a few things first. Or just take the Scrambler pack and throw some essentials in it, leaving the bulky and heavy stuff back in my Jeep. The big first aid kit converts into a fanny pack so I might also take that by itself...or I might be carrying a SAR FAK backpack rig instead and wouldn't be able to carry my own pack. It all depends.

Because everything is so modular, and because I do silly exercises like I've done today, I know exactly what is where and can repack for any situation in little more time than it takes to fit the stuff into the bags. I like not being tied down to a single (or even just 2 or 3) layouts. I can adapt quickly.
Posted by: cedfire

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

Maybe it is for the fish that was "this big". grin
Posted by: JIM

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 09:08 AM

Umh, sir...can we have our survival-forum back? grin

Looks really nice. The only thing I could think of is replacing your spoon for a spork and adding some more Esbit-tabs (3 won't cut it)

I probably missed this, but rain-gear?

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM
Umh, sir...can we have our survival-forum back? grin

Looks really nice. The only thing I could think of is replacing your spoon for a spork and adding some more Esbit-tabs (3 won't cut it)

I probably missed this, but rain-gear?

I normally carry more in the pack but I'm a little low right now...having a hard time sourcing quality tablets up here.
Posted by: MajorMarv

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 04:19 PM

Great report, thanks

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 04:42 PM

There's another item I forgot to mention (I bet it won't be the last either) as I'm looking for a good way to carry them without damage in the pack. I try to carry 3 pair of spare lenses for my sunglasses. an extra pair of tinted, an amber pair and a clear pair. I've nearly learned the hard way how dangerous it can be moving through the bush in the middle of the night without eye protection. I've had laser surgery so it's extra important for me to protect my investment...the amber/yellow lenses also help with my twilight vision (it's not as good as it was before the surgery).

As a side note I always buy the same glasses from the MEC. When I break a pair, they can be replaced for about $30 and the old pair is then salvaged for future spare parts.
Posted by: teacher

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 06:13 PM

Wow - thanks. I need to organize my stuff like this...

teacher
Posted by: horizonseeker

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 06:13 PM

great thread, I've been meaning to put everything together and weigh it, I need to get it down to be about 30 lbs. Here in So Cal, low temp is not a big problem so I'm hoping to get by with the minimum.
Posted by: suzykaye

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/07/08 10:46 PM

Nice Kit Hacksaw!!!

And thanks for the link to the MooseGoo! I can't wait to mix some up for my next camping trip or I may take it on the river kayaking!

I saw you had some Sharkies too! I LOVE those...take them kayaking all the time. Reminds me I need to get some to stick in my ever growing emergency food kit in the house and some to keep in my car!

Great job!

Suzy
Posted by: Loganenator

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/08/08 12:24 AM

Hi Hacksaw,

This is one of the best posts I have seen here! Thank you for your time investment and candor on gear types and uses. You mentioned your wife took the picture of your pack on your back...does she also have a BOB and gear assembly? I'm curious because I've faced some challenges in helping my wife design her emergency pack. For example how much redundancy should be included and where to cut the weight without reducing the effectiveness. Which gear items should be shared? I know the traditional rules for backpacking (sharing cooking and shelter components) however in an emergency situation it seems to be a fine balance between having the essentials for a stand alone pack (in case we got separated) and "bugging out" together as a team. I was curious if you had an approach to this challenge since you have such a great system set up for yourself. smile

Thanks Hacksaw! I'm going to compare my gear with your post and see if I have any deficiencies and take advantage of your innovative ideas!

Cheers,
Logan.

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/08/08 01:00 AM

OMG yes!

My wife is the least prepared person I know despite my efforts. At least she has some knowledge thanks to my never ending bantering about survival topics.

I've managed to get her to put some essentials in her purse and I've put together a bit of a kit for her using a MEC shoulder bag smaller than the one pictured above (identical style). I've also convinced her to add a Gerber Clutch multipliers to her keychain (it was pink...easy sell). I've also made sure she's familiar with the gear in the car kit in case she ever needs any of it while I'm not there.

Other than that I haven't been able to get her more prepared than that except maybe while we're camping (whistle and a SAK on a lanyard is standard camping fare for her since she met me).

That's one of the reasons I have so much overlap. I would have stopped at mere overkill had I put this pack together 5 or more years ago. With the pack the way it is, it almost gets better as the gear can be split up (there's even two packs!). granted there isn't enough shelter or sleeping gear for two but those things can often be fabricated if the chips are really down.

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/09/08 09:17 PM

Truthfully much of this stuff was purchased in October when I went to the US last and a lot of the rest has been purchased since I joined this site (what a coincidence wink ). I haven't had a chance to use it much in that time (read: Winter). The rest is just really well cared for.

My 'old' gear has either been retired or has been deemed unsuitable to be mentioned lest somebody point and laugh smile

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/11/08 05:54 AM

One more thing I'd like to add.

I try not to commit myself to any particular combination. Every time I pull stuff out, I try to think if there is a better way when it comes time to put everything back.

For example I pulled much of the gear out to do my little balcony test of my sleep system...but because I did some alcohol stove cooking while I did the test I had to pull quite a bit of gear out of the main section of the pack. When I went to pack it again I thought about what I could do to prevent this and the pack ended up getting put back together in a different way...I also made some observations/discoveries:

• Rebuilt my fire and water kit, moving the Crux stove to the fuel can as it was intended (I've included a picture of it's most recent version). I put the kit into a HD zip top bag and into one of the side pockets of the pack (I now have everything I need to cook/melt on the run without needing to breach the main part of the pack). I moved the straw filter to the canteen kit trading it for the MIOX pen (this reduced the weight of the canteen kit slightly...it's pretty heavy when full of water).

• Lashed the LMF II knife to the outside of the pack so it can be obtained while the pack is being worn and to make room for the above kit. I'm thinking about doing this with the Gerber saw and Gerber machete too...it works well and there's lots of webbing on the outside of the pack.
  • When I unpacked I was going to ditch the stainless cups to save weight...don't really need them I thought. Then before lighting the stove on the carpet of my balcony I needed something to put the cooker on to protect the carpet...the cup worked like a charm! The carpet could just as easily have been snow that I didn't want the stove to melt through...the cups stay, so handy! I did ditch the spoon from the 'eat it while it's hot' kit since the fire & water kit has one and is now easily accessed.
  • While I was packing up all the bits I came across the idea of putting the tea light candle shown above inside the cooker and using it as a bit of a lantern as it's got a notch in the front to let light out and the high walls around the sides and back keep the wind at bay...that's the theory anyhow.

This sort of thing happens almost every time I unpack and repack anything. It's also the reason why I have a pen and Moleskine...so I can write down observations about what works and what doesn't while I'm out there be it camping, fishing, or whatever.
Posted by: Taurus

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/11/08 01:52 PM

Awesome gear dude. The one thing I noticed is that you didn't mention snow shoes. For SAR work I imagine they would be a must here in Alberta this time of year. I just got a new pair of bear paws from wholesale sports to replace my older, heavier trail style snow shoes and what a difference they make. I would compare it to running in boots and then in running shoes. These even came with a pair of those trekking poles although I never have had a need for them. Best of all, they are ultra light and easily can be strapped to the outside of my pack when not needed. (they are half price now rumor has it) laugh

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/11/08 03:03 PM

I was waiting for somebody to notice that. Believe it or not I don't own a modern pair of snow shoes. I have an antique pair that belong to my dad I have borrowed...old school cat gut. They work but every year he gets more leary loaning them out because they're so old.

It's on my list of things to get but they're not a cheap item.

There aren't many SAR call outs in the winter around here (usually just lost hunters). I've yet to be invovled in one.
Posted by: Crowe

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/11/08 04:18 PM

Great Post!

Quite the inspiring pictorial. While I noted the links for the Fire and Water kits and the Gear Repair kits, I did not see anything regarding the hunt/fish kit. What all you got hiding in there?

Re,

C. Rowe
Posted by: Taurus

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/11/08 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
There aren't many SAR call outs in the winter around here (usually just lost hunters). I've yet to be invovled in one.

They are little bit on the pricy side but a must for someone like me who is always screwing around in the woods. So far I am super happy with my new ones and they were worth every penny. Like all good gear though I pick it up a bit at a time when I can afford it, and it has taken me this long to replace them. I will be trying my luck at rabbit hunting and maybe a bit of ice fishing this weekend if time allows so you may get lucky and get your lost hunter after all. grin

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/11/08 04:37 PM

I'll take a picture of it tonight. Here's the list (from memory. fixed)

• 20lb. test fishing line (a big-ish spool. I use it for lots of things besides fishing)
  • 2 speedhooks
  • 3 floats
  • Assorted small fishing hooks (in a little baggie)
  • Assorted spinners (in a baggie as well)
  • Assorted split weights (guess what? In another little baggie)
  • Small anchor attached to some nylon cord for anchoring a fishing rig to the ground
  • About 15M of brass snare wire (I've never actually used a snare to catch an animal but I tend to use the wire a lot for other stuff...very handy)
  • CRKT M16 knife (modified. I glued a floss cutter to one of the scales so I can cut line without opening the knife).
  • Several small spoons (red/white, copper, silver)
  • Small baggie of synthetic bait (just little rubber wormie goobers of different colors)
  • Diamond sharpening steel with hook groove (modified to cut down on weight).

I've been thinking about premaking a night line from some pickerel rigs and a heavy weight...worried it will be too tangly however.

As you can see I'm a fisherman before a hunter.

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/12/08 02:05 AM

I pulled the hunt & fish kit apart when I got home from work to take a picture of it and I realized a few things were wrong.

• The knife: The Columbia River knife is a very good knife...but this one has a partially serrated blade AND a tanto tip...the two features you DON'T want if you have to gut a fish or take apart a rabbit. It would work but there are better tools for the job and I have a lot of knives so I started looking for a replacement in my 'knife drawer'. I decided on the CRKT Sting. Yes I know it's basically a double edged dagger but it would be a very good knife for taking apart critters. Without any scales it would clean up very easily, it's definitely more a 'one hand opener' than any of the other options, and can be turned into a very handy spear...that's hunting right? I even tossed in the ankle straps so I could use it as a dive style knife if I had to (not ideal but it's what I've got). If this were just a fishing kit (and that may be the case one day, I'd buy this knife but I like the versatility of the Sting. Maybe I don't even need a knife...it's hard for me to make any kit without a knife in it...I just love knives!
  • The sharpener: It's too big and heavy even modified the way I've modified it...a steel rod 6 inches long to sharpen fish hooks? It's got to go. It's not even a very good sharpener (I wouldn't use it on any of my knives). There is a very good sharpener of the same style in the gear repair kit already.
  • The spoons. I took out all the spoons except the Len Thompson #7. I think I've caught more fish on this style of red & white devil than any other hook. This one is new...smaller than the well experienced one which was in there before. Plus spoons don't work that well with static lines, floats, and don't go with the speed hooks at all.
  • Moved all hooks, split weights, and spinners to a single baggie.

This is a prime example of what I was talking about...how I constantly revise my kittage.
Posted by: DFW

Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! - 01/19/08 10:14 PM

Realistically, my BOB was getting too heavy for me to carry far. I am a big advocate of "layered" prep, and started re-thinking the car kit. Instead of a few things for emergencies, I plan to beef it up to serve as my primary away-from-home emergency kit.

Based on what I saw here, I ordered the MEC shoulder bag. It's great! Very well made, plenty of pockets and just the right size/weight when packed for a "grab and run" situation, or to carry on a day hike.

I have another small bag - originally sold as an insulated lunch bag - that holds a Nalgene bottle and bottle cup, with just enough room for a Fiskars folding pruning/ camping saw. Looped around the strap at the side of the shoulder bag, it makes a nice kit.

I also got the next size smaller shoulder bag to use for travel or everyday. Equally terrific.

Thanks for the tip.