Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit

Posted by: jasond

Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 01/05/08 08:26 AM

Just wondering if anyone has ever used one of these Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit? My wife bought one for me for Christmas from
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/WX130-509-534.html

and we just tried it out and it worked great. It took about 5 minutes to boil water. I was not surte if that was fast or not but it seemed that way to me especially for something that only cost $4.00. Well just wondering if anyone has experience using these things.
Posted by: TomSwango

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 01/06/08 01:22 AM

I have one and it works as advertised. I generally use it with a simple alcohol stove. As far as I am concerned it is a real bargain
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 01/07/08 01:33 AM

it also works and was made for use with the Borde stove.

the burner head,a coil with a flame spreader that turns
and opens a tiny needle valve adjusts the height of the
flame..it roars and the spreader gets red hot..

a better shot showing the entire stove..it burns
unleaded gas or Coleman fuel..hard to find now they
are more of a collectors item.i use this one on canoe
trips as a second stove for boiling water. i have been
told the flask has a cork rather than a screw top to
prevent blow-ups..

Posted by: Blast

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 01/07/08 09:23 PM

Hi, my name is Blast and I'm addicted to camp stoves. It's been two weeks since I built or bought a new stove and...oh wow, CANOEDOGS, that Borde stove looks really cool!

*sigh* Thank God there isn't one for sale on ebay right now. Maybe if I check back in 20 minutes...

-Blast
Posted by: RayW

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 01/08/08 12:52 AM

Hey Blast i couldn't find one on ebay either but when i did a web search on it i found this,

"16. stove, Camp Stoves, Backpacking Stoves items on eBay.com
Borde Stove Original Swiss Climbers/Backpackers Classic. Original Borde Camp Stove. This seller accepts PayPal, Buy It Now, $189.00 ...
sporting-goods.search.ebay.com/stove_Stoves_W0QQdf... [Found on Google]"

If Misseswether finds out you spent $200 on a mini cook stove you might get cooked and fed to the cat.

Also there is a link on how to build your own at,

http://zenstoves.net/Petrol.htm

It's about a quarter of the way down the page, it is also very poorly translated but it has a lot of pictures. The homemade one looks like it is a collection of plumbing fittings. I'm sure Blast the Mad Scientist could easily fabricate something made with hardware store parts that will burn all kinds of liquid fuels.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 01/08/08 01:25 AM

Ray--WOW..the home made Borde page is a goldmine!!!!..
great link--THANKS
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/13/10 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: jasond
Just wondering if anyone has ever used one of these Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit? My wife bought one for me for Christmas from
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/WX130-509-534.html

and we just tried it out and it worked great. It took about 5 minutes to boil water. I was not surte if that was fast or not but it seemed that way to me especially for something that only cost $4.00. Well just wondering if anyone has experience using these things.
Resurrecting an old thread here, but has anyone ever used one of these volcano stoves and a Kelly Kettle type stove (the Kelly Kettle is also called a Ghillie stove, a Thermette, and a Bengahzi Boiler). If so, I'm wondering how the two compare.

HJ
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/13/10 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Hi, my name is Blast and I'm addicted to camp stoves. It's been two weeks since I built or bought a new stove and...oh wow, CANOEDOGS, that Borde stove looks really cool!

The good old "Borde bomb" - dangerous as sin, but they did provide hot meals until they morphed into shooting stars. A Borde was my first ever stove, and it saved my bacon once on a very cold, unintentional night out. I paid less than $10, new, back in the 50s.

A Trangia alcohol stove will do everything the Borde did, without the dramatics.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/13/10 01:23 PM

as Hikemore said the Trangia works well... I used a pair of snips to open up the fuel fill hole (the volcano stove is very soft aluminum and you can deform the corrugations a little) and finished up the job with a burr on a Dremel... works well and easy to insert the Trangia..haven't used it in high wind, may have to add a wind screen to replace the material removed..looks like a .5L stainless bottle would replace the 1L and allow the Trangia to stack inside
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/13/10 01:36 PM

just thinking... you could bend a piece of welding rod (gas)with a "W" at bottom and arms to reach the top of the stove to lift the Trangia stove/small Sterno cans and not have to open up the fill hole...

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/13/10 03:37 PM

Has anyone who has used the Swiss Ranger Volcano Stove also used a Kelly Kettle/Ghillie Kettle/Bengahzi Boiler/Thermette?

I'm wondering how the volcano stove and a Kelly Kettle type stove compare.

HJ
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/14/10 04:15 AM

A Buddy & I did a comparison of the 2 a few yrs ago.He had a 2-Liter Kelly Kettle,& I the Volcano.His was Whistling when Mine was just starting to bubble at about 3 minutes,Both of us were using 1/2 liter of water,with Oak tree trash for fire in mine,& Pellets for his.About 2 minutes later mine,Was on a Rolling Boil.I paid $20 bucks for 2 Volcano stoves-(New) His cost was around $140-(New)! I still have Mine,His got Stolen,Along with his Duluth Pack,& All his Patagonia clothing/Wiggy Gear in Yosemite,2 yrs ago!

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/14/10 08:34 PM

I was kind of wondering if the Kelly Kettle type might be faster. The design seems like it would create such a good chimney effect, and having the heat go all the way up the length of the water vessel seems more efficient. I'm sorry your friend's got stolen though.

The price differential seems kinda steep. Are there any decent Kelly Kettle type stoves out there for a reasonable price? I wonder what makes them so expensive and the Swiss volcano stoves so cheap?

HJ
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/14/10 10:51 PM

The ones from Ben's Backwoods are a lot cheaper.

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/15/10 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
The ones from Ben's Backwoods are a lot cheaper.
Defintely cheaper. Pretty danged heavy though. A pound and a half for a 0.5 L kettle is quite a bit. Intriguing device though...

HJ

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/15/10 06:47 AM

It's not for the ultralight set, that's true. I've never seen one but I've been intrigued with them for awhile. It looks like a fast & efficient means of boiling water. The weight is not inconsiderable but if it serves as both stove and vessel it might be worth it.

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/15/10 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It's not for the ultralight set, that's true. I've never seen one but I've been intrigued with them for awhile. It looks like a fast & efficient means of boiling water. The weight is not inconsiderable but if it serves as both stove and vessel it might be worth it.
Not that I'm exactly an ultralighter, but for day hikes I have put together a small but complete kit that weighs about 10 ounces including 2 oz of alcohol fuel. It's nice for soup or hot chocolate on a cold day.

Here are the contents:
1. Snow Peak 750 ml titanium pot
2. 2 fl oz capacity flip top squeeze bottle of alcohol
3. Bic lighter (standard size)
4. Swedish "fold-a-cup"
5. Titanium windscreen
6. Medicine measuring cup (for measuring out the alcohol)
7. Home-made pop can alcohol stove

As I say, the total weight is about 10oz, which is pretty light for a fairly complete set that includes everything except the water and whatever you're going to mix into the water. Well, I guess you could include a spoon for stirring, but a lot of the time I'll just roll up the package after I've emptied out the contents and use that for stirring.

HJ

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/16/10 01:28 AM

I think the purpose of the Kelly Kettle would be longer term use where you'd use wood and natural fuels & tinder vs carrying alcohol. I agree it's a little heavy but it might be nice as a base camp item, or in situations where every ounce didn't have to be watched.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/16/10 02:07 AM

I have two Kelly Kettles (aluminum and stainless) and a Thermette and must confess that I haven't used any of them. And a couple weeks ago I got the new stainless steel cook kit and base that goes with the KK.

Perhaps I could brave the cold for a time trial in the next week to see which one boils faster.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/16/10 02:24 AM

I would love to see the results of your testing.

If it seems like you have one too many volcano stoves, I might be able to take it off your hands!
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/16/10 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: dweste
I would love to see the results of your testing.

If it seems like you have one too many volcano stoves, I might be able to take it off your hands!

Ha!

One for the Element. One for the teardrop. One for home.

Just got it covered.

Unless it surprises me in performance, I'd probably let the Thermette go. It's ungainly, the largest of them. I was drawn to buy it because it is copper.

;-)
Posted by: dweste

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 12/16/10 08:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Unless it surprises me in performance, I'd probably let the Thermette go. It's ungainly, the largest of them. I was drawn to buy it because it is copper.
;-)

And I would be prepared to negotiate for a price reflecting the Thermette's ungainly size, used condition, and unfortunate copper construction! ;-)

Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit - 02/15/11 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

it also works and was made for use with the Borde stove.

the burner head,a coil with a flame spreader that turns
and opens a tiny needle valve adjusts the height of the
flame..it roars and the spreader gets red hot..

a better shot showing the entire stove..it burns
unleaded gas or Coleman fuel..hard to find now they
are more of a collectors item.i use this one on canoe
trips as a second stove for boiling water. i have been
told the flask has a cork rather than a screw top to
prevent blow-ups..

For those who are interested in such things, I started a thread more directly concerned with the very interesting but oddball Borde stove.

HJ