Case for Bic Lighter

Posted by: Scoutdoors

Case for Bic Lighter - 12/24/07 04:15 AM

My EDC contains a BIC lighter, but the gas release button might be accidentally triggered or the BIC might get wet. I know people carry them in their pockets regularly, but an extra measure of security would be good if counting on it for fire in my EDC.

A ziplock bag would work to keep it dry, but it's too big/clumsy for the task and won't keep the butane from being triggered.

Is there a vendor out there with a case to cover a BIC or mini BIC? A clear plastic vial with a cap would fit the bill if there was one that was a tight fit for the BIC.

Thanks for your help.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/24/07 04:34 AM

actually bic makes two different ones

a zippo style and one that, if you ask me, looks like a giant jelly bean, I hope this helps.
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/24/07 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
one that, if you ask me, looks like a giant jelly bean

The silver jelly bean looks cool. I'm gonna have to check one out and give it a trial. Haven't seen any at the store, though, and I think Bic only sells wholesale. I'm not sure.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/24/07 05:05 AM

I was thinking of how to fashion a plastic clip piece that would snap into place under the gas button on the lighter. Any ideas how?
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/24/07 07:43 AM

An elastic band holding a wedge (broken matchstick or similar) under the gas trigger should do it
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/24/07 08:14 AM

you can now get disposable lighters that meet European regulations so it takes a strong press to light them, to make them child proof.
'poundland' sell them in the UK here at 10 for a pound OR the identical lighter at 6 for a pound! (yeah i don't understand it either).
I soaked one for a few minutes and it still lit after i shook the water out.
The Sock
Posted by: NeighborBill

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/24/07 12:07 PM

Small four-inch zip tie will work
Posted by: norad45

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/24/07 12:54 PM

I use a small rubber o-ring.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/24/07 09:45 PM

"... I think Bic only sells wholesale."

I have an IGA grocery store near me that sells all kinds of different kinds of lighters, and haven't duplicated any. If you took in a copy of that page and showed it to them, they may think it's cool enough to order a batch for sale, and you could just buy a few.

Sue
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/24/07 10:47 PM

Check on Ebay, you can buy a case of Bic's pretty cheap, haven't looked lately to see if they have any in the cases. Just a suggestion.
Posted by: Stu

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/25/07 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
I was thinking of how to fashion a plastic clip piece that would snap into place under the gas button on the lighter. Any ideas how?

Use a small zip tie under the gas button.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/28/07 12:28 AM

I took a very small piece of duct tape and rolled it into a small tube shape, bent that into a U shape, trimmed, and wrapped it around under the gas button of a mini-Bic. Held it in place with another small piece of duct tape circling the head of the lighter. The zip-tie others have suggested sounds better, except that would leave a bump at the locking part of the zip-tie which seems like it would snag on things. Then I used ranger bands (cut up bicycle inner tube) to attach the lighter to a P-51 can opener. The hole in the P-51 attaches to my keyring with a small split ring. The lighter pins the hook part of the P-51 safely between the lighter body and the back of the P-51. The head of the lighter and the hook end of the P-51 are on the end away from the keyring.

The cases I have seen for lighters that attach to your keyring all doubled or tripled the size of the lighter, which was not what I wanted. So far my homemade setup has worked perfectly, but I'll admit it looks a bit funky!
Posted by: Alex

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/28/07 12:36 AM

Ingenious solution! Can we see any images?
Posted by: porkchop

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/28/07 01:23 AM

I "borrowed" one of my daughter's black elastic hair ties and wrapped it around my lighter under the gas button.

After wrapping it several times the tie builds up enough to keep the button from depressing.

It's easy to remove and easy to reinstall.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/28/07 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: porkchop
I "borrowed" one of my daughter's black elastic hair ties and wrapped it around my lighter under the gas button.

After wrapping it several times the tie builds up enough to keep the button from depressing.

It's easy to remove and easy to reinstall.

That is pretty much what I do for my every-day carry mini-Bic. So far, after several years riding in my pocket with very occasional use, the lighter is still mostly full. Seems to be working.
Posted by: teacher

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/29/07 01:08 AM

i just wrap a rubberband under the thingie...
Posted by: haertig

Re: Case for Bic Lighter - 12/29/07 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Alex
Ingenious solution! Can we see any images?
Sorry, I don't have any way to display an image. It's nothing impressive anyway. Just a Bic lighter held onto a military-style P-51 can opener with some black runner bands.