Fire Pistons?

Posted by: climberslacker

Fire Pistons? - 12/23/07 07:31 PM

Does anyone have any expireience with fire pistons?? They lok really cool, and Im asking for one for christmas and was wondering how hard they are to work. I would probably be getting one with a cotton gasket. Thanks in advance
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/23/07 10:04 PM

Les Stroud tried one in an episode of Survivorman and had a hard time getting it work...though it did work.

This is my opinion of course but I'd be worried about their longevity...gaskets can fail, pistons can leak, shafts can bend. And as far as I know field repair would range from difficult to impossible.

Less mechanical than a Bic or a Zippo but those are easily and inexpensively replaced...firesteel on the other hand doesn't really break (unless you're incredibly unlucky or careless).

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/23/07 10:12 PM

I just looked at some videos on youtube and it looks like some peopke are actaully very good at it, would be cool to have though.
Posted by: Blitz

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/23/07 10:25 PM

I would say apply the K.I.S.S. method. In other words bic, vaseline cotton balls, magnesium flint as a backup. Just my opinion.
Posted by: pworks36

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/23/07 11:19 PM

Just another opinion...I have several, wood and Plexiglas. I prefer the Plexiglas one. It has a synthetic gasket and I can see if I was successful. The concept is nifty and it is fun to play with. I have better luck with flint and steel, but it does work and just uses a pinch of tinder. I think it's easier to use a bow and drill too, but these are fun to work with, at least I find them so. I keep one as an alternate firestarter/available-match extender, but wouldn't be my sole fire starting capability. Like most skills it needs practice, but the resulting coal is hot enough to get a fire going in a tinder nest, if you're only looking for a technical up or down. Hope this helps...

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/24/07 02:30 AM

oh and by the way im looking at these two places

here
and
here

i really like the holiday deals on the later, and also they seem to have a really great flint an steel setup.
Posted by: marduk

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/24/07 02:34 AM

I have one. It’s fun, it’s neat to make fire in a way few know how to, BUT I would consider this a backup to a backup to a backup. Maybe it’s just me, but I find the fire piston to be an inconsistent fire maker. I can always get fire, sometime 2nd or 3rd try, sometime 10th or 15th try. Flint and steel seems more consistent, usually fire first time. I have had better luck with char cloth than with tinder fungus as the tinder in the fire piston.

If funding is the limiting resource in your outfitting endeavor, I would NOT make this apriority purchase personally.

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/24/07 03:41 AM

yeah, i just made a whole bunch of char cloth today!! But i think it is the eisiest way to catch a spark from my firesteel. Every other way takes mabye two or three tries but the charcloth, first time everytime.
Posted by: Rick

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/24/07 05:44 AM

Here's another place to look
http://www.primitiveways.com/fire_piston_for_21st_century.html
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/24/07 06:21 AM

I don't really consider flint and steel, bow drills and fire pistons serious fire starting tools for emergency situations. Although, bow drill could be useful if you're left with absolutely nothing else since its all natural parts. To me, they're toys or part of a hobby. I get a delicious sense of accomplishment when I start a fire with flint and steel. I haven't used a fire-piston although the wood ones look like works of art. If you can get one for Christmas, rock on! And let us know how it works out for you.
Posted by: bubbajoe

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/24/07 12:36 PM

I figure the more ways I can start a fire the better chances I have. Some work better than others. I watched that survivor man episode and was excited to give it a try. I purchased mine off e bay. its plexi with an aluminum piston. took me a couple of tries to get and ember using char cloth but it works. its a very old way of fire making. problem with the wood ones i found out is that in time they can crack from drying out. i wouldn't give up my fire steel or the bic, but its a fun way to start a fire. try the coke can and chocolate. i was amazed that worked for me

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/24/07 01:57 PM

you got the coke can method to work for you!? Amazing, i may have to give it a try, but one of the things i liked best about this page is the flint and steel, i have found no other place that sells flint and steel strikers. My scoutmaster has a chunk of flint but lights charcloth with a file. Not as easy. Thanks for all the feedback!!
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/24/07 02:36 PM

There are a few other places that sell flint and steel. Try Ragweed Forge and Jas. Townsend. I got my striker from Ragweed Forge, but it only has on handle (kind of j shaped). I think I might get an oval one or one like the site you had that has two handles. I think they might protect your hands a little better.
Posted by: jamesraykenney

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/24/07 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
oh and by the way im looking at these two places

here
and
here

i really like the holiday deals on the later, and also they seem to have a really great flint an steel setup.

I have a lot of the first one's stuff.

I have their "High Intensity" Flint and Steel Set and it is good, but the pocked kit is with me almost everywhere I go... Right now, it is in my vest with all of my computer supplies that I carry everywhere!
I cannot find the pocket kit on their website right now...

I had problems with the fire bow until I watched their video, after watching, it was less than 2 minutes until I had smoke!

For the second site, I really like the look of their TinderLite Fire Pen... It is expensive, but has both a fire piston and fero rod in something the size of a pen!

Re: Fire Pistons? - 12/24/07 08:34 PM

actually, if you scroll down you can get one that has a very beutiful wood, enough paracord to make a bow drill and the rod, thats 3 ways to make fire for 65 dollars!! Thats as much as normal fire piston on thier site!!