Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list

Posted by: Loganenator

Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/21/07 05:13 AM

What does everyone think of this new article from outdoor life?

Anything missing from this list? Anything not needed? wink

Hope this hasn't been posted before and I have missed it...

Cheers,
Nemo

Posted by: JIM

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/21/07 11:32 AM

First-aid category: - First Aid Kit...sigh frown

Otherwise looks decent. Not sure if I'd take a tent though. Staying with your vehicle and all that..

It looks more like a full-sized BOB than a Car-kit, but that's just me I guess.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/21/07 12:27 PM

they failed to mention work gloves in the first clothing list. never leave home without a good pair or gloves(which reminds me, mine are falling a part and need to be replaced).
they didn't say how much water to store, which may lead the uninformed to just toss a few Deer Park bottles in the trunk.
They need to say more than just "First Aid Kit." as everyone here knows, all FAKs are not created equal.
Posted by: handyman

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/21/07 12:55 PM

It's not a bad list but there are some things that I thought were very funny for a 72 hour kit for your vehicle . . 3 sets of underwear , bar of soap , shampoo , razor , deoderant , hairbrush , paper plates and cups ????? I shower and change my undies everyday and shave almost everyday but in a 72 hour emergency situation , LOL . Shampoo and a hairbrush in an emergency kit , LOL.
Also thought it was strange that they would recomend "an extremely LIGHTWEIGHT sleepingbag" . And why a tent if you're in your vehicle . Are you going to get out of your vehicle and pitch a tent during a blizzard .
Also no mention of something for self defence - always part of my emergency kit .
I guess if your all sqeeky clean and well groomed and eating your power bar on a paper plate , then no one will want to give you any trouble or take your stuff .
Posted by: atoz

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/21/07 01:13 PM

I thought the samething there was a bit of frill in the kit. Not much else to say that handyman has said.
cheers
Posted by: JohnnyUpton

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/21/07 01:34 PM

Tow Strap
I didn't see candles mentioned.
Posted by: Crowe

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/21/07 02:35 PM

In my car kit, I have a tube tent, heat sheet, 2 emergency ponchos, 3 wool blankets (laid flat, lining trunk), and an orange tarp, no lightweight tent though. I need to get to get off my butt and get some heavy plastic sheeting, as I think it would be very useful if some joker smashes my window out or if I lose a window in a crash. I think the best bet is to improve the vehicle as a shelter if necessary, but also have a fall back if the vehicle is unsafe.
Posted by: 91gdub

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/21/07 03:51 PM

"an extremely LIGHTWEIGHT sleepingbag"

That's got me confused also. I carry a sleeping bag in my car at all times. Lightweight during summer months and a heavyweight for winter months.
I also keep a very heavy blanket in the car too.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/21/07 04:27 PM

Beeswax candles are the way to go. Paraffin has a nasty habit of spewing tons of schmutz and CO.
Posted by: teacher

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/21/07 08:41 PM

All candles release CO. ANY burning of any kind releases CO.
ALWAY crack a window when using.
Posted by: Ors

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/21/07 09:40 PM

As I've said before, there's a difference between SURVIVING and COMFORT.

Paper plates are not needed for survival...they do provide a touch of civilization which can be a moral booster.

I'm reminded of an episode of MASH where the camp had to bug out...everyone was told to take only the essentials (they were abandoning the camp, not taking it with them)...Charles had his phonograph and a huge stack of records...he swore that he was taking only the barest of essentials. Come to think of it, why weren't they better prepared for a bug out in general??

I think I'm going to write an article...practical kit lists...no lace hankies allowed!

A lot of people are going to need simple to use items and even simpler instructions on how to use them...I'll put that on my list of projects.

Thinking about the deodorant (and back to the civilization thought) reminds me of that Right Guard commercial a few years back..."because you don't want to give off a malodorous air...Right Guard, because anything less would be uncivilized" smile
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/21/07 11:04 PM

Quote:
flashlight (wind-up)

Great! Now the masses are going to be “prepared” by getting those cheap pieces of crap that have button cell batteries hidden in them because the “dynamo” is nothing but a noisemaker clicky-toy. They should have either been less specific by saying “Flashlight” or more specific by saying “Flashlight (Batteryless, e.g. Freeplay or NightStar)”.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/22/07 02:05 AM

Lot of head scratcher stuff- missing items (gloves, tow straps, maybe I missed the Slime/Fixaflat), badly defined items (FAK, water), and why bother (tent?!?, deodorant?)
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/22/07 02:08 AM

And a P-38 with nothing to open...
Posted by: Crowe

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/22/07 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
And a P-38 with nothing to open...

Maybe you'll run along a raccoon with a can of pork and beans.

Maybe you'll use it to open a sunroof in your car...

Maybe you'll be stranded on an abandoned army base and trip over a 60 year old C-Rat can....

Maybe it's an emergency suicide tool when you run out of shampoo...

Who knows?

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/22/07 02:18 AM

True. I still carry my first one, got it in 'bout '68. I don't use it much anymore, but still carry it...

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/22/07 02:29 AM

Or maybe just a raccoon?
Posted by: Frankie

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/22/07 03:51 PM

In a shelter-in-place longer term situation paper plates are nice because you save water from not having to wash the dishes though.

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/22/07 03:56 PM

Quote:
And why a tent if you're in your vehicle . Are you going to get out of your vehicle and pitch a tent during a blizzard

I've read that any non-running vehicle is a heat sink and in cold weather it's better to build a shelter outside of the car to prevent hypothermia, like a snow trench or even a tent when there's not enough snow.

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/22/07 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Frankie
Quote:
And why a tent if you're in your vehicle . Are you going to get out of your vehicle and pitch a tent during a blizzard

I've read that any non-running vehicle is a heat sink and in cold weather it's better to build a shelter outside of the car to prevent hypothermia, like a snow trench or even a tent when there's not enough snow.

Where did you read this?

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/22/07 04:08 PM

Anybody have experience with these products?

http://www.philoxia.com/survival.htm

And Monty Alford's home made Yu-Can survival stove made with nested cans and tea candles is good for melting snow and you can use your survival tubing as a straw to drink directly from it.

Frankie
Posted by: Russ

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/22/07 04:09 PM

I suppose that depends on the weather, the vehicle and how comfortable the seats are wink I'd like to see how well a mummy bag in a car does compared to a mummy bag in a tent.

Considering that the seat and carpeting are keeping me up off the ground and dry, and that I expend zero energy in building a shelter, I'll continue to plan on using the truck cab as an expedient shelter.

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/22/07 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM
Quote:

Where did you read this?

In Winter Wise by Monty Alford.

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/22/07 04:22 PM

Quote:

Where did you read this?

Thanks, it seems like a nice book.

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/22/07 04:32 PM

Quote:

Where did you read this?

This part of the thread is starting to look like Russian Matryoshka dolls with all its nested quotes.

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/22/07 04:38 PM

[quote=Frankie]
Quote:

Where did you read this?

This part of the thread is starting to look like Russian Matryoshka dolls with all its nested quotes. [/quote]

You think? grin

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/22/07 04:43 PM

[quote=JIM][quote=Frankie]
Quote:

Where did you read this?

This part of the thread is starting to look like Russian Matryoshka dolls with all its nested quotes. [/quote]

You think? grin [/quote]

yep grin

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/22/07 04:46 PM

[quote=Frankie][quote=JIM][quote=Frankie]
Quote:

Where did you read this?

You think? grin [/quote]

yep grin [/quote]

Really? (alright, I'll stop)
Posted by: hamilton

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/23/07 12:16 AM

[quote=JIM][quote=Frankie][quote=JIM][quote=Frankie]
Quote:

Where did you read this?

You think? grin [/quote]

yep grin [/quote]

Really? (alright, I'll stop) [/quote]

Sorry I couldn't help it.

I think a car or truck would make for an alright shelter as long as you have a thick wool blanket and heavy sleeping bag. Plus you probably have your heavy winter coat. Plenty of insulation. All I would really want is for the car to stop the wind.
Posted by: picard120

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/23/07 01:19 AM

T-shirt should be avoid as emergency item in winter kit. synthetic polyester long johns, polartec, should be included in the kit.

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list - 12/23/07 01:28 AM

We like the tent option. Sometimes you might want to stay in the vehicle, others you might want to move out of the vehicle and into the tent. Of course, along with the tent we carry insulated pads and mummy bags...

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/23/07 03:44 AM

Sheltering in place usually doesn't involve the car kit, and cleaning dishes in winter is easy- snow works well. Just make sure it isn't the color of any car fluids, grey-brown, or yellow. :P

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/23/07 03:28 PM

Indeed. The paper plates and plastic ustensils idea is more for a home kit where you have plenty of room and an emergency food pantry and want to save water. It looks like they copy-pasted a home kit and modified it for car in a hurry.

Frankie
Posted by: Susan

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/24/07 10:39 PM

A car is a heat sink at night and a solar collector by day, IF you were in the open and managed to point it toward the south.

I don't know if a tent would be any better, but the lack of metal might give it a slight edge.

Some of their suggestions seem to indicate that the person who wrote it did a little light skimming of survival, and called it good.

Of course, maybe the p-38 was to cut the raccoon's throat and gut it, and the razor was to shave off all the hair before cooking (singeing would be faster). But you would still need a SUBSTANTIAL FAK after wrestling with a raccoon.

Sue
Posted by: Raspy

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/25/07 06:50 AM

With the inclusion of the the paper plates, toiletries and the like it looks more like he cribbed heavely from the Red Cross 72 hr. home kit. Then tossed in a couple of things for a vehicle.

Defenately not that impressed.

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/25/07 01:53 PM

It's like, would you hike in temperature below freezing with work boots that have steel toes and plates? Your feet would freeze quickly due to conduction.

The problem with tent, sleeping bag and pads is that you can't put them in the trunk as they could get stuck in an accident and the sleeping bag will become too cold.

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/25/07 03:07 PM

"...temperature below freezing with work boots that have steel toes..."

I have stood in snow for eight hours or more (standing, not moving much, which is colder) wearing my Matterhorn boots (insulated) with steel toes. Didn't seem to make a bit of difference, my feet stayed pretty warm and toasty...

Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l - 12/26/07 02:41 PM

Your foot mileage may vary.