red alox farmer

Posted by: aloha

red alox farmer - 12/13/07 07:22 AM

I carry a silver alox farmer as my EDC knife. But when I saw that amazon had the limited red ones for $14.52, I ordered two and got free shipping to boot. For anyone that might be interested, here's a link to the bargain.
Posted by: justmeagain

Re: red alox farmer - 12/13/07 02:38 PM

The farmer is a very nice knife. I have one in blue alox. I'm a sucker for SAK's with alox scales. I've been eyeing up Cadet's in olive and trying to ignore the cadet's in black, gunmetal and orange.
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: red alox farmer - 12/13/07 03:45 PM

I have had one of these for a few years, besides lacking a locking blade it is a great knife. Because it is so small and light It has become the knife I carry in my trail running kit.
Posted by: halogen

Re: red alox farmer - 12/13/07 05:01 PM

I have a couple. I find the keyring hole (not the split-ring, but the part with the hole it attaches to) hurts my palm with extensive use.

Has anyone found this, or found a solution to it? (I tried rounding the edges a little, that didn't help. I could file it off completely but I like lanyards...)

eeph
Posted by: Paul810

Re: red alox farmer - 12/13/07 05:09 PM

I wish they would make one of them with the file/hacksaw instead of the wood saw. I don't really use the small wood saw since it's only really good on wood I could break with my hands anyway. Whereas, the file/hacksaw could be used on other materials besides wood, and could still be used to cut and shape wood if need be (albeit, in a slower fashion). It would be my perfect SAK.
Posted by: Schwert

Re: red alox farmer - 12/13/07 05:28 PM

Really an excellent bargain on the Farmer and for the SAK model I really like. This one I picked up when Amazon had them for $20. Two more just arrived at the less than $15 price. Excellent.
Posted by: billym

Re: red alox farmer - 12/13/07 11:25 PM

Wow they got cheaper again. I bought 2 about a month ago for $19.95. Great knife!

Paul,
If you go with the hackwas/file instead then the Farmer loses the versatility it has in the wilderness. Maybe good for urban applications but I would much rather keep the regualr saw.
Bill
Posted by: Stu

Re: red alox farmer - 12/14/07 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: billym
If you go with the hackwas/file instead then the Farmer loses the versatility it has in the wilderness. Maybe good for urban applications but I would much rather keep the regualr saw.
Bill

I agree. It's amazing how handy the saw is.
Posted by: DFW

Re: red alox farmer - 12/14/07 12:06 AM

And I thought I got a bargain a few weeks ago at $17.95.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: red alox farmer - 12/14/07 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: billym
Wow they got cheaper again. I bought 2 about a month ago for $19.95. Great knife!

Paul,
Bill

Think about it though, in most situations that little saw isn't very useful. Dry wood of that size you can break and wet wood of that size is a pain to cut with the saw anyway.

The file/hacksaw is much more useful from a improvision standpoint. It could cut wood if need be, but it can also do a lot more. It could cut wire/chainlink if you get tangled in it; it could sharpen or shape wood, steel, glass, ect; it can be used to shorten long finger/toe nails; and a lot more.

Basically, the file/hacksaw can really do everything the wood saw could if the need arose, but the wood saw can't do everything the file can. Plus, it would be the perfect compliment to a larger wood saw or hatchet/axe, as it could be used to sharpen both.
Posted by: billym

Re: red alox farmer - 12/14/07 12:32 AM

Paul,
I am still not convinced. The file can be replaced by various rocks available in the wilderness that could shape metal, glass etc.
How much metal is there to cut in the woods?
For a wilderness folder the Farmer is considered by many to be the perfect knife. Whether that is true or not is individual but I still see little use for a hacksaw in a wilderness situation.
I have several SAKs with a hacksaw and I am not very impressed with the saw or the file. I doubt you could saw much metal before the saw teeth are done. Even though the wood saw is little it is an effective saw and will cut wood (wet or dry) till the cows come home.
Bill
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: red alox farmer - 12/14/07 06:15 PM

H,

I EDC's a SAK with a saw for about 15 years (Lumberjack) until I replaced it with a Leatherman. I still carry a SAK Farmer often in situations where a Leatherman in a belt pouch is not appropriate (suit/tie).

I have found the SAK saw to be very effective in the bush and I have cut some very large trees with it. When I used a climbing treestand it was the tool I used to cut branches on the trunks of trees to let me climb up over 20 feet.

Unfortunately Amazon does not ship knives outside the USA; any other locations where a Canadian could find a DEAL on a RED SAK Farmer. I have a silver model but would like a red one to not alert/help keep the less prepared people in there happy place (e.g. "what a cute Swiss Army Knife").

Mike