Pocket survival book

Posted by: Susan

Pocket survival book - 12/11/07 06:16 AM

I've never heard of this book, The Pocket Outdoor Survival Guide written by "survival expert J. Wayne Fears".
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/leadertimes/sports/s_539419.html

Has anyone seen it? Is it any good?

Sue
Posted by: jasond

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/11/07 12:07 PM

I've never read it but did find a site with some reviews on the book.

http://www.stoegerbooks.com/books/detail.tpl?CAT=13&SKU=BK0612
Posted by: Virginia_Mark

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/11/07 01:38 PM

I have the large "The Complete book of outdoor survival" by J. Wayne Fears.
He spends a lot of time talking about shelter, fire, water, because that will save your life the quickest. He also spends some time on simle home made survival kits, for different senerios. He does not go into great detail on eatable plants and such because it will probably not come into play in the normal 3 day survival window (meaning most people are found in 3 days), but he does give some good info on plants and animals, for food. A good Read IMHO!

I would imagine the pocket version is a lot of the same good info.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/11/07 01:46 PM

You might try looking at the US Naval Institute's "Mariner's Pocket Companion". This is an annual pocket calendar that contains some very useful survival tips for land and sea.

I have always found it useful to carry in my back pocket.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/11/07 02:28 PM

I carry the pocket version of the SAS Survival Guide...love it.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/11/07 04:03 PM

Fears is a well known firearms and outdoor pundit. I found the book a rote repeat of previous texts. You can even buy his survival knife, now there is a novel marketing approach. It's a decent effort if your unfamiliar with anything else and pick it up first.

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/11/07 04:08 PM

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=504903

Seems pricey for 440C but then again I'm cheap. Kind of reminds me of the Russell Canadian Belt Knife only less curvy.
Posted by: Ron

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/11/07 05:16 PM

They sell them at Walmart for about $5, look in the sporting goods section. I have not read it from cover to cover, but have thumbed through one. Looks to be Not bad, Not great.

As you would expect from a pocket book, not at lot of details in some area.

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/11/07 05:27 PM

IMHO, pocket guides are designed to give you some ideas to work with when you get into a pickle. It will help you get over the "shock effect" of your situation, and get your brain engaged in the "thinking process" so that you can get yourself rescued, and survive in the meantime.

That's my $0.02 worth anyway.
Posted by: Farmer

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/14/07 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

Me too!

The pages are a bit small to use as toilet paper, so the small book also removes temptation.
Posted by: TQS

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/15/07 01:41 AM

I used to have his "Complete Book of Outdoor Survival", but I gave it away. It has been revised, and I might get it again.

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/15/07 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

Me too!

The pages are a bit small to use as toilet paper, so the small book also removes temptation.

I carry a magnifying card in my Moleskine and keep both in the same pouch with my EDC bag. It's not bad normally but in the dark with tired eyes it can be real chore to read without the magnifier.

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/15/07 07:07 PM

If I were to bug out, I would bring my US Army Ranger's Handbook and "The Book of Bo-Vol I".

I'm sure most people here are familiar with the Ranger's Handbook.

Nobody here is aware of "The Book of Bo-Vol I" because there is only 1 copy in existence at this time and for the foreseeable future. It contains astronomical data, SS HF radio frequencies, and many other items that are applicable to bugging out via land and more that is applicable to bugging out by water. Basically, it has 22 years, 5 months experience of USCG service in it.

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/16/07 05:19 PM

I carry a small Moleskine for the same reason...mainly for camping. When something goes especially right or wrong I make a note of it so I can do it again...or not do it again. It's sort of learn from your mistakes insurance.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Pocket survival book - 12/17/07 06:47 AM

"When something goes especially right or wrong I make a note of it so I can do it again...or not do it again."

When I do something wrong, I remember it... even with A.D.D. I think the adrenaline seals it into my brain.

Sue