Vital Stove?

Posted by: Susan

Vital Stove? - 12/11/07 06:08 AM

I've never heard of this:
http://www.solhuma.com/products.php?idCatPri=2&lang=en&idCatLevel=16&idPro=9

Sue
Posted by: LED

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/11/07 07:29 AM

Interesting design but I've never seen it. Uses 2AA batteries and a small fan. Seems like the same concept as the WoodGas camp stove. Interesting, but any stove that requires batteries is off my list, and at 1.5lbs it weighs as much as a full Trangia 27 series set.

http://www.woodgas-stove.com/
Posted by: Blast

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/11/07 02:08 PM

Hmmm, it looks like an overly complicated version of the Zip Stove.

-Blast
Posted by: kmat

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/11/07 09:13 PM

But..but, Blast. You could put your Dinty Moore right on top and you are set!!!!!!

kmat

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/11/07 09:56 PM

Quote:
But..but, Blast. You could put your Dinty Moore right on top and you are set!!!!!!

Or on 65g of thermite... grin

-Blast
Posted by: billym

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/11/07 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Hmmm, it looks like an overly complicated version of the Zip Stove.

-Blast

As the Fonz used to say; "exactamundo". smile
Bill
Posted by: MarshAviator

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/11/07 10:24 PM

Susan and Blast,
Good thing it's the Holiday season or I might have to buy both for a comparison.
Can you have too many portable stoves ?
An Esbit in every BOB, well a pot or pan and some Dinty in a can.

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/11/07 11:12 PM

Quote:
Can you have too many portable stoves ?

Blast looks over at his shelves...three Trianga's, one Esbit, one popcan stove, one wax/cardboard/tuna can Hobo burner, one Gaz stove, one woodgas stove, one Coleman Duel-Fuel (with propane adapter making it a triple-fuel), one coffee can Hobo stove, and a Billycan to be hung over a fire...

Nope. Can't have too many!

-Blast
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/12/07 12:47 AM

I'm a fan of the Zip Stove, previously known as the Sierra Stove. Down here the one thing you can count on is a good supply of wood to burn.

The batteries, wiring and motor are somewhat vulnerable points but both the wiring and motors can be pretty tough and high quality versions the motors used in VCRs and tape machines can have a BTBF of 100,000 hours or more.

Batteries are an issue but lithium cells are very reliable. There may be some option for solar cells, manual generation or other power sources.

I wonder if I could rig a high-reliability wind-up motor driven fan.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/12/07 02:17 AM

That was my thought as well- and you don't need to spend that much on one. Heck, you can make your own with a coffee can, some flashing, and a spare cooling fan.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/12/07 03:49 PM

check out--"the complete walker 4"..page 605--Solar Campsite.
with the right AA batteries and solar charger you could run
a Sierra Stove and a LED light "forever"--
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/12/07 04:06 PM

Whatever happened to cooking over a campfire?

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/12/07 06:14 PM

CityBoy,

A lot of parks no longer allow campfires (Big Bend, for instance) as part of the "Leave No Trace" principle.

-Blast
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/12/07 06:47 PM

and some parks have fire bans during the dry parts of the year.
with so little snow pack and little in the way of spring rains
in northern Minnesota this year there was a fire ban..
my permit for the BWCA canoe park only allowed a fire between
7PM and Midnite..but you are right CityBoy..open fire cooking
is a dead art..when i saw the first gas stoves being used
back in the 60's i thought we were going the way of Europe
in our camping skills..
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/13/07 01:24 AM

"Whatever happened to cooking over a campfire?"

Traditional campfires are notoriously inefficient in terms of time, energy required to assemble them, cooking and wood used. They are a substantial fire hazard. Often for a long time after they have been 'put out'.

The things that campfires have in their advantage are that they are relatively simple to set up, use only local materials and will do the job required if you give them enough time while providing a homey and comforting atmosphere. They are traditional.

With a white gas, propane or Zip Stove you can be up and cooking in a minute or two and, due to their efficient application of heat, be done cooking while a person assembling a campfire is still collecting wood.

Down side of a stove is that it requires carrying in a stove, and possibly fuel, and a stove lacks any power as a focal point for community or romance.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/13/07 04:28 AM

Not as efficent, particularly if you only need it for a half hour. If you aren't needing the heat, a fire is a big fat waste of time, energy and wood.

You can also use something like this where you can't use a campfire- like a parking lot.
Posted by: Evan

Re: Vital Stove? - 12/14/07 03:30 PM

Yes but cooking at near 5000 degrees, does not mean that you cook 10 times faster... just that everything you cook ends up EXTRA CRISPY!