Multitaskers

Posted by: Anonymous

Multitaskers - 12/05/07 05:14 PM

I've realized that lately I've been preaching the value of items which have more than one job...and in trying to reduce the weight in my packs I've come to realize that this is tricky with survival equipment. I figured I'd get another snow ball rolling down hill by posting some of my multitaskers and see what else you all can come up with...if nothing else it's a fun exercise in thinking outide the box.

• Jig saw blade:
    • Sawing wood or metal (depending on blade type)
    • Firesteel striker
    • Spear tip
    • Arrow Head
  • Space Blanket:
    • Ground Sheet when sleeping under tarp or under the stars.
    • As part of a heat reflector
    • Vapour barrier/heat reflector in sleeping bag
    • Vapour barrier in bag to keep contents dry.
    • Rain cover to keep wood or gear dry.
  • Fishing line:
    • Fishing
    • Strong sewing thread
    • Small lashings
    • Can be used in snare construction
    • Light test can be used as floss
  • Candles:
    • Light
    • Heat
    • Cooking (or at least simmering)
    • Firestarting (tinder...or the biggest slowest burning match ever!)
  • Hand sanitizer Gel:
    • Sanitize your hands (the most important use)
    • Sanitize tools, cutlery, food prep stuffs.
    • Firestarter (can be lit with a firesteel but it's not easy)
  • Snare Wire:
    • Snares
    • Gear repair
    • Fishing lures/hooks/leaders/sinkers/etc
    • Part of a makeshift splint (if you have enough or the splint is small)
  • HD Aluminum Foil:
    • Protect food (leftovers?)
    • Makeshift cup or bowl (also for boiling)
    • Gear repairs
    • As part of a fishing lure
    • As part of a heat reflector
  • Razor Blade/Utility Knife Blade:
    • Begrudging backup to a knife
    • Replacement blade for Gerber EAB pocket knife
    • Makeshift scalpel
    • Arrow Head (if sturdy enough)
    • Spear Tip (if sturdy enough)
    • Fishing hook

Then there's paracord and duct tape...those two almost go without saying.
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 06:01 PM

Hammock - Can be used to lounge around and sip wildflower tea from a coffee can while waiting to be rescued, or you can net some fish.

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 06:16 PM

• Lexan bottle (ie Nalgene)
    • Water storage
    • Water collection
    • Food collection
    • Food storage
    • Food preparation (food+boiling water)
    • Protect fragile belongings (electronics, glasses, paper, etc)
    • Fill with rocks/sand and use as an anchor
    • Melt snow in a jacket or slowly near a fire

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 06:23 PM

• Cigar Tube
    • Protect my cigar (vitally important!)
    • Tinder (cigar tubes are lined with paper thin Cedar)
    • Makeshift finger splint
    • As part of fishing lure
    • Makeshift tent pole repair
    • Water collection (albeit a small amount)
Posted by: JIM

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 06:30 PM

Isn't survival and this whole forum devoted to thinking outside the box wink

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 06:31 PM

What's why I posted it here and not on my quilting forum.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 07:14 PM

Metal pot or can
[list]
[*]boiling water
[*]cooking food
[*]snow/sand shovel
[*]bailing out a canoe
[*]add some stones to make a rattle/loud noisemaker
[*]fill with rocks to make an anchor
[*]fill with hot rocks to make a heater
[*]turn it sideways, put a candle in it and use it as a "bullseye" lantern
[*]bring home a giant spider in it to show DD1-2

-Blast
Posted by: Susan

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 07:56 PM

Jigsaw blade... do you really mean a thin jigsaw blade, or a sabre saw blade?

Space blanket: formed into a bowl on the ground, it can be used to catch rainwater or dew. With one edge secured to a line with split twigs, you can drape the bottom into a container and catch even more rainwater. Cut a piece off and line your hat with it for more heat retention. Make a poncho with some duct tape.

Sue

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 08:40 PM

Jigsaw blade. 2-3 inches long...very sturdy...very hard to bend. I prefer the fine toothed metal blade but you can get them in different shapes and sizes for just about any application.

Originally Posted By: Susan
Cut a piece off and line your hat with it for more heat retention.

Sue

Damn fine idea! Especially for somebody like me with no hair on their head hehehe.

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 08:42 PM

I just did a Google search and the consensus seems to be that a Jig Saw and a Sabre Saw are the same thing...who knew?

Unless You and I are thinking of a Saws-all saw. Those blades would be just as handy...just harder to pack smile
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 08:46 PM

Quote:
Metal pot or can
[list]

You forgot to mention helmet, and chamber pot, among others.
Posted by: TQS

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 08:59 PM

I often find myself in the dilemma of either adding more of a multi-use item so that I can use it for more than one use simultaneously, or finding iems that are more effective at one task than a multi-use item often is.
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 09:54 PM

I use the saws all blades mainly because I have a handle that accepts them as far as storage I put the blades in a cheap tool roll with the handle and the rest of my tool kit.
Posted by: DrmstrSpoodle

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 10:03 PM

We once had a class discussion about resourcefulness, and as an example the teacher brought in a standard five-gallon bucket, and asked us all of the things we could do with it if we were stranded on a deserted island.

More than half the class said "toilet" before "water collection" and "trap for food". Kind of gross looking back really smile
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 10:18 PM

Quote:
Cut a piece off and line your hat with it ...

Am I the only one who thought this line was headed towards black helicopters?

Re: Multitaskers - 12/05/07 10:19 PM

no no. Space blankets are too thin to block mind control radiation wink
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Multitaskers - 12/06/07 07:37 AM

Sock:

sock (and the benefit of dry socks and underwear shouldn't be
underestimated)
mitten
water filter
weapon (put a stone in one)
sling (as in throwing)
bandage
pot holder
handkerchief
dish wipe
storage
carry a condom filled with water
garotte (if a long one)
etc etc

The Sock

Posted by: RayW

Re: Multitaskers - 12/06/07 09:52 AM

The confusion over jig saw blades and sabre saw blades can be traced back to Black and Decker IIRC. Some decades ago B&D made a sabre saw but it was called the B&D Jig Saw. With a lot of marketing, making millions of sabre saws that are labeled jig saws the names are interchangable now even though the two tools are different. And for those of you who are not tool inclined, a saber saw is a hand held tool that has a blade about three inches long that will fit into an altoids psk (i think it will fit i haven't tried it), a jig saw is a bench top tool that uses a very fragile five inch long blade that is held in place on both ends.
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: Multitaskers - 12/06/07 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: TQS
I often find myself in the dilemma of either adding more of a multi-use item so that I can use it for more than one use simultaneously, or finding iems that are more effective at one task than a multi-use item often is.

Good point. Is it better to have a tool that does one job well, or have a tool that does many jobs poorly?

Re: Multitaskers - 12/06/07 01:31 PM

I'm not sure if it's a Canadian thing but up here I've never even heard of a Sabre saw. What you all are calling a Sabre saw we know as a Jig saw and what RayW is calling a Jig saw I only know as a Scroll saw.

Funny....eh!
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Multitaskers - 12/07/07 02:46 AM

a Saber saw is the powered hand tool that will take several
size and types of blades--a Jig saw sits on a bench and has a
small fine blade and a Scroll saw is the unpowered hand saw
with the fine blade and large loop frame..now if you really
want a saw get a Saws-All--with one of those and a few tubes
of Liquid Nails in a tube you could remodel your house---
Posted by: RayW

Re: Multitaskers - 12/07/07 02:50 AM

I have also heard of a jig saw being called a scroll saw. As well as a sabre saw with a blade that rotated with the knob on top that was called a scroll saw. It is supposed to make it more stable cutting near the edge of material. Have not used the scroll/sabre saw so i don't know if it is a cool tool or just marketing hype.

There are different names for tools and parts depending on where you are at and what kind of trade you are in. Just think about that the next time you are at a store and ask for a hickey, you might get slapped, get something that will get you in trouble when you get home, or if they know thier stuff they should hand you a bent piece of metal that goes in a lamp.

http://tinyurl.com/2ww3gw

Re: Multitaskers - 12/07/07 09:49 AM

This thread is almost like asking: 'anyone got any tips for being equipped to survive?'
Apart from the mirror, compass and whistle Dougs kit is a good example of a small 'utility' kit. Thread, string, fire, duct tape etc all have multi-uses. That's what being equipped to survive is.
The Sock

Re: Multitaskers - 12/07/07 02:02 PM

Yes....but what are they? That's the big question. Knowing thread is good for stuff doesn't help you if you're unaware of what those uses could be.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Multitaskers - 12/07/07 05:53 PM

Quote:
This thread is almost like asking: 'anyone got any tips for being equipped to survive?'
Apart from the mirror, compass and whistle Dougs kit is a good example of a small 'utility' kit. Thread, string, fire, duct tape etc all have multi-uses. That's what being equipped to survive is.

One thing years of experience has taught me is that lots of people are not creative. They can't come up with ideas on their own. Giving their minds a nudge like this is a good thing that should be encouraged.

-Blast
Posted by: Alex

Re: Multitaskers - 12/08/07 01:56 AM

Slightly off topic:
On many other forums there is a nice mechanism which allows the Topic initiator to edit his very first message, adding the suggestions and ideas, which comes from others later (sometimes years later). Thus consolidating, accumulating, and organizing the precious bits of knowledge in a single, easy to find place. Is there such an amenity available on our forum? It seems to be essential for our style of discussion, one have to dig through many pages to have a complete picture sometimes...

The easiest way for our Administrator is to simply disable the time limit for the messages editing.

Re: Multitaskers - 12/08/07 08:23 AM

Hey I'm not criticising anyone. This thread is a good idea; just pointing out it's open ended.
Coming to think of it there were even other multiple uses for 'the pure survival' items in Dougs kit.

Whistle:
For a pre arranged signal if you get split up anywhere even the shopping mall
Rape alarm
Dog signal
Heard of someone ending a dispute over a bill by simply blowing a whistle.
Weapon; but then practically anything can; hit them end on; it's harder than your hand. This is the answer to the 'how to use a flashlight as a weapon' question if you have a small torch too. Don't carry a kubotan it has only one purpose - a weapon.

A mini maglite is 'but of course I walk through the car park with it in my hand officer, it has my car keys on it. Really? people use them as weapons? I never knew'.

Mirror:
Shaving
Blinding someone
Weapon: slice them with it, or if the mirror is glass break it first and slash.

Compass:
Test if something is a magnet
Test if something is iron or steel
Watch; by using the 'use your watch as a compass' trick in reverse.

One of the best examples I saw of lateral thinking was when a friends lights turned off in his car. He pressed the switch and the lights stayed on while he kept it pressed. Did he have to drive like that all the time? No; he simply peeled off a post it pad from the dash and used that to stick the switch down :-)

On the theme of the uses of a spare sock:

The best use ever for a sock/stocking will be on the 25th of this month. Anyone wants to disagree, please take this up with your relatives under 10....

The Sock
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Multitaskers - 12/08/07 04:54 PM

A bandanna or two have many uses. As clothing, as bandages, as a water filter, as a bag or sack, as a glove, as cordage, as toilet paper... many more.

I carry a smart phone which stores novels to read, music, movies and games. It has an FM radio and is generally the only radio I carry. It has a camera, eg to document damage for insurance claims, or to help analyse what went wrong later. The camera has a flash which can be used as a light, as can the screen's backlight. It has some astronomy software which could help in navigation. It has a calculator and some reference material If the network is up I can access more information from the web, or use Google maps. My approximate location can be determined from the cell tower it is registered to. It can even make telephone calls and send text messages.

My watch includes a digital compass and a barometer. Again trying to get the most utility out of everything I carry daily.

I carry a small multi-tool and swiss army knife, which are more versatile than a simple blade.

My belt is a money-belt which holds a few emergency supplies, including money and fire-making tools.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Multitaskers - 12/08/07 05:24 PM

Quote:
The best use ever for a sock/stocking will be on the 25th of this month.

Try getting a coconut out of a tube sock. I don't remember how we got it out on the 25th but I'd like to have watched it going in on the 24th.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Multitaskers - 12/10/07 01:59 AM

And stress magnifies this.

For example, someone might be aware theoretically that dental floss and dirt can be used to cut metal if you absolutely have to. But if they are running about half blood and half adrenaline in their veins and are over taken by events, that theoretical knowledge isn't always going to be available. The more you brain storm it, the more likely you are to have alternatives bubble up to the top.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Multitaskers - 12/10/07 02:02 AM

How important of a job is it, and does the bulk/weight/cost of the "best" tool pay for itself in relation to your other tools?

Cityboy, if you are looking for the one answer, there isn't one. That set of trade offs is the point at which gear selection becomes as much art as science.