Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know

Posted by: 91gdub

Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/05/07 03:11 PM

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4223337.html

Decent list not for men only
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/05/07 03:27 PM

#5 Retouch Digital Photos

Hardly an important skill, unless you consider posting joke pictures of your friends online for everyone to laugh at important.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/05/07 03:42 PM

Glad to know I can do everything on their list already. smile
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should kno - 12/05/07 04:02 PM

I bought this issue and was disappointed with the list. I'm sure each of us could make our own lists and they'd be a whole lot more practical.

The 'clean a bolt action rifle' especially stood out. Why should I know how to do this? I don't own a bolt action rifle and don't have plans to buy one LOL.
Posted by: MarshAviator

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should kno - 12/05/07 06:34 PM

They seemed to miss first aid ?
CPR while really life saving, is less frequent than simple first aid.
Clean a fire arm would have been a better choice too.
And as for the digital photo, that's just plain silly.
What about Jump start a car ?
Also balance a budget ?

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should kno - 12/05/07 06:48 PM

First aid should be at the top of the list...definitely above how to frame a wall...why would I 'need' to know that?
Posted by: Susan

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/05/07 07:43 PM

Due to lack of patience, I didn't look through the whole list, but thought I could come up with a list of useful stuff I think guys should know and be able to do. grin And yes, it is colored by the men I know. Deal with it.

1. Check the kitchen garbage and if it's at least 3/4 full, take it out. There is no need to wait until it's mashed solid, running over the top and leaking before you see the need.

2. If you're going to shoot at things, think about the entire path of the bullet, not just the part between the weapon and the target.

3. Change a diaper so it stays up when the baby stands up (without you vomiting or fainting). Think of it as an engineering trial, as babies don't have much in the way of waists or hips. Diapers can be trickier than they look. (DO NOT duct tape the diaper to the baby's skin!)

4. Learn how to vacuum a room properly. This doesn't mean just standing in front of the TV while vacuuming one spot over and over while you're watching the game. (Guys are genetically unable to dust, so we won't even go there.)

5. Learn how to put up shelves. Start with the garage to work out the kinks.

6. Many of the best chefs in the world are men -- it's not a gay thing. Learn to cook a few things well. Offer to cook an occasional dinner for your wife or GF. You get extra points if you are able to catch them before they hit the ground immediately after you suggest it.

7. Yes, I know that guys tend to use every container in the house (including the dog's water bowl) when they cook. So, do the dishes when you're finished.

8. Learn basic First Aid. If you have kids, you should be able to handle knee scrapes, minor cuts and burns, so learn to do them right.

9. Even if you can't homeschool, teach your kids stuff. Most schools are incompetent, so if you don't teach them, probably no one else will. It's your responsibility.

10. Getting your dogs and cats spayed and/or neutered has nothing to do with doing the same to you. If you have pets, be a responsible owner.

11. Your SO's work day doesn't stop when she walks through the front door, so why should yours?

12. You get it dirty, you clean it. Period. Clothes, dishes, floors, whatever.

13. Throwing furry food out is perfectly okay. You don't have to ask permission. If you can't tell what it used to be, toss it.

14. Neither the back seat nor the front passenger seat floor are trash recepticles. If your passenger's knees are under their chin, the trash level has surpassed the disgusting state.

15. Some of the information you've acquired from other guys is inaccurate. Learn to tell the difference. (Adding water to setting concrete is one of them.)

16. If you don't take care of your tools, don't borrow any from someone else.

17. If you can do favors for a neighbor, coworker or stranger, you can do them at home.

I'm sure there are lots more ;), but these are off the top of my head.

Sue

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/05/07 07:49 PM

Sounds more like Susan's 25 rules for men rather than 25 things a man should know how to do.
Posted by: atoz

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/05/07 08:25 PM

How come I have to do the dish and cook dinner but no one but me can unplug the garbage disposal, fix a stuck drawer, install a new lock etc.....
Have 3 woman in my house hold.

Cheers
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/05/07 08:52 PM

Sorry, the list was flawed from the start.

The number one thing every man should know is that the wife is always right. If you don't think so, just ask mine!!!!!
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should kno - 12/05/07 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan
3. Change a diaper so it stays up when the baby stands up (without you vomiting or fainting). Think of it as an engineering trial, as babies don't have much in the way of waists or hips. Diapers can be trickier than they look. (DO NOT duct tape the diaper to the baby's skin!)

Hey, Susan. I’m going to invent some diapers with attached suspenders. I can even name them after you if you’d like! Is that okay? whistle
Posted by: sodak

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should kno - 12/06/07 03:27 AM

Sorry Susan, I don't have the patience to read through your list either... I'm always amused, however, at articles like these. They seem to assume that men are forever "angsting" over what others think about them. Yeah, right. Not all men are like that idiot on Tool Time. Lots of us can (and do) fix and build things. Get over it.

The posters about First Aid are right on. Both of my kids (boy and girl) will be learning a lot about self sufficiency from me. The answer to your problems isn't in your cell phone, it's between your eyebrows and the top of your head.

They're only 7, but learning to appreciate changing oil, brake jobs, tune ups, drywalling, plumbing, and the list goes on. I love little kids, they're like a sponge, and they love to learn!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/06/07 03:35 AM

My wife says that you would love me.

Re the diapers, here is a hint that sounds stupid but works. Put those neato disposable diapers on BACKWARDS. They fit the kid better, and as a result work better...
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/06/07 03:43 AM

*ahem*

I can dust. But like most animals, I run at the sound of the sucky-beast.

*laughs*
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/06/07 04:58 AM

Something every man should know is how to spend money WISELY to keep his girlfriend or wife happy.

Example:

When DW and I quit smoking, we decided to put the money saved toward hiring a house cleaning service once a week.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/06/07 05:51 AM

Sue, Sue, Sue,,,,,You'r speaking "common sense" again.

These are things that I am trying to teach my nephew, a man has to be able to take care of himself AND his FAMILY.

And yes, changing diapers are learnable!

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/06/07 06:02 AM

You're right,,,I AM the Captain of my ship and I execute every order that the Admiral (DW) issues!!!!
Posted by: xavier01

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/06/07 07:28 AM

I wonder what a list of things women should know would look like.

I'd like to start:

Wait for the game to END before handing over our to-do lists!

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/06/07 08:18 AM

I had DD2 take Auto Repair class in High School.

Taught her basic leather working and carpentry, at home.

Taught her that although she still lives in a man's world, she can do anything she desires, if she's ready to fight for the right and the chance to try it.

Taught her basic gun safety and marksmanship.

Taught her that being prepared provides future options and good sleep at night!
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/09/07 08:38 AM

And don't forgot rule 2:

'If the wife is wrong; refer to rule 1'.
The Sock
Posted by: KenK

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should know - 12/09/07 06:23 PM

I'm happy to report that through his years in Scouting my son has learned a lot - but not yet all - of those things. At next year's summer camp I've asked him to take the fishing and canoing merit badges - to hit items 13 & 23.

I might add a few other skills:

Know how to swim
Know how to carve a turkey
Know how to wash/dry clothes
Know how to sew/patch clothing, including how to sew on a button
Know how to cook meat :-)
Know to treat others as you'd want them to treat you
Know how to catch a spider and release it (my wife gave me this one)
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Popular Mechanics 25 things all men should kno - 12/09/07 10:15 PM

YAY, IM onl 13 AND I know how to do all those things, but i found out about them when the issue came to my doorstep. My dad is a contractor and used to build houses, and Im a boyscout so i get by.