What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit

Posted by: Kurt_W

What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/01/07 09:53 PM

Hello,

I am in the process of updating my daily-carry preparedness items and thought I'd see what suggestions everyone here has. I have read many of the postings on BOBs, looked at various websites, and generally done a lot of research and came away less than satisfied. Why, you ask? Well, there is a lack of practical, realistic guidance for the urban commuter as to what to carry. Realistic, in that I commute on public transit and I'm not loading myself down with supplies to survive X days and get looked at like a crazy person realistic. I just want to be able to escape and get across the river or out of town, (say 10 miles).

So, let me give you some background and assumptions:
1. I live in NJ and commute to Philadelphia. My commute includes 50 minutes of driving, 50 minutes on light rail, 15 minutes on subway, and about 10 minutes walking. Each way. The focus of this question is the portion of my commute where I am on public transit and/or walking.
2. I have a good kit in my car, and am building a kit for in the office. There are lots of great suggestions for both on this forum and other sites.
3. For work I carry a laptop and associated equipment back and forth each day. Before adding preparedness equipment I generally lug about 12lbs. That may not be a lot but I'm no Army Ranger smile
4. The disasters I am building a kit for are:
A)Subway problems - loss of power/lights/heat/collapse (If you have used PATCO you know what I mean).
B)Having to evacuate Philadelphia (with the assumption that there will be transit available once I get out of the city). I know, the world could end and it wouldn't be there. But considering my job if it was really bad I would be working the disaster and not trying to leave.
C)Escape from fire during commute.
D)Dealing with unexpected severe weather.
E)Dealing with the odd crazy person assaulting me during transit.
5. Weight, portability, legality, are issues. Guns are not an option (I live in NJ - enough said).
6. My backpack always go with me when I travel or commute.

So, with that background in mind here is what I currently carry:

On my body (always with me):
1. The usual stuff (wallet, small amount of cash, keys)
2. 2 cell phones (work, personal)
3. leatherman wave
4. flashlight (1AA cell led)

In the backpack (in its own emergency pouch)
1. Another flashlight
2. spare batteries for both flashlights
3. Spare power for work cell phone
4. First Aid kit
5. Mylar emergency blanket
6. Dust mask
7. Small role of duct tape
8. Sharpie (in emergency pack, other pens also carried)
9. Small package of kleenex
10. Whistle (I am looking for one that would be good to carry on my body)
11. Work gloves
12. 2 meter amateur radio transceiver
13. 3 to 5 days of my personal rx medications
14. About $10 in quarters
15. laser pointer (used for work, but carried in backpack)
16. Extra pair of eyeglasses
17. Extra pair of underwear

Things I am adding
1. Trash bag
2. Small length of paracord
3. Small am/fm radio
4. Empty collapsible water container
5. Extra pair of socks
6. Waterproof paper

Note in the winter I add spare pair of gloves and hat.

Keeping in my the intended use and limitations, any suggestions for additional items?

Looking forward to the comments,
Kurt
Posted by: ScouterMan

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/01/07 10:30 PM

Kurt,
I am in a similar situation. I work in Boston / Cambridge and commute on public transportation from the 'burbs.

My EDC: All carried in a Nite-Izes Pock-it holster

Leatherman Wave
AA Mini-Mag flashlight
Pen
Banadages
Spare cash

My PSK: All carried in a military-style messenger bag

Dougs' Mini-PSK
Emergency rain poncho
Small home-made FAK
Chapstick
Heatsheet emergency blanket
Small pack of kleenex
25' of duct tape wrapped around an old gift card (small and flat)
Spare pair of boot laces
50' of 550 paracord
(2) small aluminum baking pans folded flat (for boiling water)
Spare set of glasses
Set of eyeglass side shields to convert to safety glasses
(2) dust masks
1-liter Platypus water bladder
(2) energy bars
(6) nylon tie-wraps (various sizes)
(2)small 7-hour hand warmers
Work gloves
Headband to convert mini-mag to headlamp
Maps of the city
Copy of first-aid manual
Last (2) items are in a large zip-lock bag

This blends in with the rest of the herd and doesn't draw many looks.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: teacher

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/01/07 10:44 PM

Kurt,

Welcome. Your kits seems well thought out, what follows are my suggestions.

weight issues: I'd drop the 2m radio. Too heavy, the cell phones and am/fm radio should cover comm. .Ditto the roll of quarters

Carry water, even a 12 oz bottle. Useful stuff.

Teacher

PS 4 hour commute?
Posted by: pworks36

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/01/07 10:49 PM

A couple of thoughts...a medium/small compass and a map of Philly. There are a couple of companies that make walking around (meaning non-topographic/street) maps of DC, Philly and so on. Some can fold up to about 3x5 and when folded out show remarkable detail. I picked up mine at the train station in Philly. Of course if that doesn't fit the bill mytopo or a gas station are fine alternatives. It's surprisingly easy to get turned around. (Streetwise is one company and PopOut Maps from Compass Maps is another, just for examples.)

Since we're talking a small knapsack I would opt for a small, but not PSK-sized compass. (adding a PSK like the Ritter PSK wouldn't be a bad idea). You might also consider a survival straw, but then again I might also add a Sierra-type cup, a spork, a few pre-moistened towelettes (like you used to get a KFC) and a 400 kcal ration bar.

Personally I would ditch the mylar blanket and go after an AMK heat-sheet or AMK bivvy and a four-pack of those air-activated pocket heater packs. The heat-sheet is a bit bigger than a space blanket, but the space blanket is really nothing much, but the same material those mylar helium balloons are made of. A suggestion down at Wally World for about 79 cents, buy a space blanket, open 'er up, put on your usual jacket and go step outside for about half an hour. Tomorrow might be even better since we're supposed to get some rain in the region. Just a thought...

Emergency poncho might not be a bad idea.

I would also recommend adding a small waterproof or drybag large enough to put your essentials in and seal, like your phones and wallet. The couple of times I've had trouble with my commute the weather was always a factor and usually it was rain, lots of rain.

I think you have too many quarters, but that's just my opinion. I carry about $3 - 5.00 worth and a cheap pre-paid phone card. The coins will let me pay a third party for the use of their phone and I can use the phone card if a pay phone is working. More than that is more weight than I want to cart around.

You might add a bandanna or two as well (maybe one bright orange and the other blue or green if they don't have a gang affiliation).

Possibly 60 or so dollars in cash in a sealed packet (2x 20, 1x 10, 1x 5, and 5x 1 as a possible mix). If that is enough to pay for a taxi or third party to get you elsewhere.

Finally, a laminated 3x5 with your emergency contact information, critical medical info (allergies, etc.)

Just my thoughts and there are probably good reasons why these are bad ideas.
Posted by: LED

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/01/07 10:54 PM

I agree, well thought out. What type of shoes do you typically wear? I'm just guessing here, but if they're of the more formal variety, you might want to consider keeping a more comfortable pair in the car.
Posted by: Grant

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/01/07 11:15 PM

For personal defense have you considered a 4oz. container of pepper spray in a belt pouch? You could keep it in your backpack, but slip it on your belt (maybe under your jacket or shirt) when you need to "activate" your pack in an emergency.

I second the suggestion that you find room for some water and food. Perhaps a couple of energy bars or some trail mix. In my work messenger bag I carry a couple of the 2.5oz packets of fruit and nut mix put out by Backpacker's Pantry. You could probably throw together a homemade equivalent.
Posted by: Russ

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/01/07 11:22 PM

I agree -- good list. The guys who got here first beat me to the map & compass, you already added extra socks (for winter look at all wool eg., Smartwool). Yeah, carry a small bottle of water.

What's is in your First Aid Kit?

A small pry bar would be nice to have if you need to open a door that doesn't want to be opened. I'd also carry a small locking folder in addition to the LM Wave, but I'm a knife knut.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/01/07 11:24 PM

Yeah - a bottle of water. I know I've needed it enough times on the NYC subway or the train on the way in

A small towel is a good thing - say a 1ftx1ft microfiber

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/01/07 11:25 PM

Scouterman: I like the energy bars and nylon ties.

Teacher: I use the 2m on a regular basis to chat during my commute; that is why I carry it. Roll of quarters is also my backup soda machine money smile But I need to emergency cash in there. Carrying water seems to make so much sense yet I keep hesitating because it always seems to be available. What do you think of the emergency straw idea Pworks suggested? And yes, It is a 4 hour commute each day. Crazy, maybe, but I love my job, and I also travel a lot.

Pworks36: Both the compass and the map are good ideas. I see those small maps all the time and will pick one up. What do you think of those small compasses that are designed to clip on a jacket? Are they any good? I know the mylar blanket is not worth much as a blanket. But, it was free and I was thinking that if I was trapped somewhere I could open it up and it would act as a reflector for any light sources rescuers were using. I like your other ideas and will consider them.

LED: I wear comfortable shoes - black, work shoes but not super formal. I have been buying these for about 6 years now and find them more comfortable for walking than just about any other pair. One of the reasons I went with them was because I used to work in NYC and had to walk from the WTC PATH station across lower manhatten and these took everything NYC could dish out. Plus, at $27 a pair (less if I get a sale at Payless) I can afford to replace them regularly.

I forgot to mention that I carry in my backpack some moist towlette type wipes and a small bottle of hand sanitizer.

-Kurt

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/01/07 11:31 PM

Grant: I have considered the pepper spray but I cops in NJ will give you a hard time if you have it. I don't thinks it illegal but...
I have some hard candy in the backpack but I need to add an energy bar. Good suggestion.

RAS: I could easily be a knife nut but I work hard on controlling myself. I have shied away from a pry bar because of weight issues. If I could find a reasonable (cost) one made out of titanium I would consider it. My FAK started as a Red Cross belt kit to which I added. It includes: breathing barrier, 2 pairs of gloves, a selection of bandages in different sizes, Some gauze pads, 2 roller guaze, a couple of antibiotic ointment wipes, and alcohol prep pads. It used to have some sting-eze but they expired and I haven't replaced them yet.

Kc2ixe: Interesting idea about the hand towel. Thank you.

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/01/07 11:51 PM

You mean something like Titanium Bug Out Bars? Maybe too pricey. . . Personally, the Countycomm Widgy looks like it should be light enough and should pack easily. At only $5 it's worth a try.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/02/07 02:09 AM

Throw in several medium binder clips. They make holding the space blanket around you much easier. Also, if you end up using the trash bag for a poncho, the best way I've found get it around you and a pack is to split it down one seam, wrap it around you, & hold the seam closed with clips.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/02/07 02:41 AM

My general kit for such situations, I worked in a retail setting a bit and had to commute, is to have a separate set of travelling clothes. Sturdy stuff and nondescript. Jeans, tee shirt, canvas long sleeve shirt, light water resistant jacket with hood in collar, leather boots.

If the area is cold and wet consider substituting synthetic hiking pants and shirt so you don't end up wet and cold. Also adding a pair of synthetic gloves and a hat. Down here it is less an issue.

The dressy stuff gets stuffed into a gym bag. Bulky stuff like shoes and belt get left at the office.

Travel kit is simple. A bit of food, a couple of Clif bars, a bit of water, two half-liter bottles of water.

A couple of basic tools, Leatherman and a tiny pocket knife. An LED flashlight that uses two AA-cell lithium cells. An Inova 'key-chain' light. A mini-Bic and a bottle of life-boat matches.

A pair of cotton bandannas that work as bandages, air or water filters, ties, bindles, etcetera. A hank, about 30', of light line. Pair of ear plugs. Two heavy, contractor grade, garbage bags. One high quality space blanket.

Medication: Four aspirin, four ibuprofen, two fast-acting antihistamine (Chlor-trimeton), two regular (Diphenhydramine).

A 'travel
Posted by: ironraven

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/02/07 03:49 AM

I'm late to the dance, my suggestions have already been aired. :P

My big ones would have been:
-Heatsheet (they beat the mylar things like a drum)
-small PSK (PSP or SOL or build your own)
-spare batteries and maybe a head strap for your flashlight
-water
-something to eat
-thermal layer, thin poncho
-map (PSK will have compass that is good enough)
-phone card (they work at the oddest times)
-cash

And wow, you spend how long in commute each day? At that type of time frame, I'd look to arrange to have a place to crash in an emergency, even if it is just a sleeping bag in the office.

If you've got room, a non-contact current detector and a silcock key would be excellent. And if you are worried about creating friction with pepper spray, a small can of WD40 works half way decent and is so innocent that no one will say boo, but it hurts. Or spray deodorant.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/02/07 05:30 AM

I'm even later to the dance. You've been given many good ideas. Allow me to elaborate around the edges: Headlamp. I like the Princeton- Tec Scout; Water purification straw marketed in the BQ catalog and Micropur tabs; Swim goggles (keeps out smoke/dust in tunnel, etc.); Small compass; 4-way sillcock wrench; Ti or stainless cup, fit onto wide-mouth poly litre bottle; $200 in cash, or more, in small bills, split b/t pocket and pack( cash can save your life in a mugging, aside form other obvious uses); First-aid kit upgrades should include an Isreali compress bandage, a 3" roll of Coban,5"x9" ABD pad, Quik-clot, aspirin, immodium, benadryl, and a prescription pain killer. Pepper spray sould not be a problem in NJ, unless yo're being a jerk with it. Also consider an Exostream bottle water purifier as an alt. to the straw. Finally pack this kit, or most of it, in a soft fanny pack and put the loaded fanny in your backpack. this will allow you to wear it seperately and free-up space in the backpack for the extras you may want to scavange in a bug-out.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/02/07 11:00 AM

Rescue hammer. The sort you put in a car.
Head torch.
Map(s).
Compass (basic).
AA Maglite with NiteIze or better upgrade.
Multitool.
Spare batteries.
Decent waterproof.
Bottle of water.

Schwert's "Urban" artical over on www.outdoors-magazine.com is a good primer in the subject.

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/02/07 11:14 AM

Lots of great suggestions - thank you all!

RAS - I widgy bar looks like it my fit my needs perfectly. Thank you.

UTALumnus - Hadn't thought about that use for binder clips. And they are something that is common and light.

Art_in_FL - I tried the suggestion of wearing seperate commuting outfit when I worked in NYC and found that it just didn't work for me. Maybe I'm lazy, maybe something else smile But I try to buy clothes that are both appropriate for work and as comfortable as possible. Thanks for the suggestions on OTC meds but I think your post got cut off at the end.

IronRaven - Yes, it's 4 hours a day smile I am caching sleeping materials in my office. If I can make it over the river to NJ there are at least 4 places along my commute where I can crash (and they would welcome me). In addition there are a few other places in the Philadelphia area that I could stay at. I hadn't thought about the current detector and silcock key. I will consider them - thank you. I can see a couple of uses for WD40 - improvised pepper spray, it's flamable so could help start a fire, and of course it's intended use.

Acropolis5 - A lot of people have suggested headlamps for lots of good reasons. I am going to have to consider changing my lighting choices. I would like to pack it all in a fanny pack, but I haven't found one that fits me (I'm a big guy).
Posted by: bws48

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/02/07 12:29 PM

Hi Kurt;

Guess I'm really late (pesky work). After several years in public transportation commutes, I would only add to the discussion on shoes/rain cold. In another post, I suggested "totes" style rubber boots. Good comfortable shoes get less so when they are cold and wet. Also, I picked up a 2 piece (jacket and pants) light rain suit at COSTCO that I took if even the slightest chance of rain/sleet etc. Kept me dry and cut the wind chill.

I think Philly is like DC. Wait 15 minutes and the weather will change. Un or poorly predicted weather was always the biggest cause of problems for public transport and thus for me...

Good Luck

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/02/07 12:34 PM

bws48 - You are right, Philly is like DC. I grew up outside DC and the weather changes that quickly. I also find that the weather can be very different between Philly and Bordentown (south of Trenton, where I get off of light rail and into my car). I have a pair of something similar to totes that I take with me when the forecast suggests that there might be really slushy, yucky wet weather.

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/02/07 01:26 PM

Don't thank me, another new guy, "tacticalight", brought it up in the "Ultimate Knife" thread, I just ordered one too.

On the subject of footwear: I know you like the shoes you wear, but how far have you walked in them, not over years, but all at once. Maybe standard oxford type shoes work well for you, but the only ones I've found that worked for me for distance walking were Rockports. I really prefer a light hiking boot. Consider wearing a pair during the commute and switching at the office.

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/02/07 06:09 PM

RAS - The longest I have walked in them is about 2 miles; enough to know that I could have kept going for a while. There may be something more comfortable, but these work for me.
Posted by: Stu

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/02/07 06:20 PM

Some light weight plastic bags that can be worn inside shoes and over socks will help keep ones feet dry and reasonably warm should you get "surprised" by bad weather.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/02/07 06:36 PM

I hadn't either until this semester. A ~33gal trash bag didn't mix well with a large pack unless you split it and holding the split closed got old quick.

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/02/07 06:42 PM

Not something I'd want to test for real, 2 miles isn't much of a test -- they're your feet.
Posted by: Andy

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/03/07 02:43 AM

Kurt,

As always, lots of good thoughts in reply to your question. Let me see if I can add some value. I recently added a Petzel e-light headlamp to my business carry bag. Nice light and lightweight, small enough to carry on a belt or bag strap, not expensive.

I also EDC a second wallet in which I carry an assortment of "flat" objects like bandaids, antiseptic wipes, sewing kit, floss card, sheet of aluminum foil, gaffers tape (stuck on some release paper from some old mailing labels), 4 quarters, phone card (based on the theory that if cell towers are down old fashioned payphones, if you can find one, might work), two Aquapur tablets in foil packs, A BCB credit card tool, a Picopad note pad and pen, credit card sized fresnel lens, a County Comm signal mirror, paper matches, tinder card, $20 and probably a few other items I can't remember.

Another suggestion is to look for a 2M HT with wideband receive so you can tune AM/FM maybe even shortwave (Kenwood and Alinco have such models). I carry a Kenwood F6A in my work bag and an Alinco DJ-C7 in my jacket pocket.

If you have maps and a small button compass you'll at least be able to decide whether to turn left or right.

Let's hope for another mild winter in the Delaware Valley.

Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/03/07 03:23 AM

"Art_in_FL - I tried the suggestion of wearing seperate commuting outfit when I worked in NYC and found that it just didn't work for me. Maybe I'm lazy, maybe something else But I try to buy clothes that are both appropriate for work and as comfortable as possible. Thanks for the suggestions on OTC meds but I think your post got cut off at the end."

The suitability and importance of changing the outfit is a question of the sort of clothes you wear at work and the sort of neighborhood, environment, you cross going home.

Most business suits are pretty marginal for rough use. And in some localities wearing a suit, outside the sort popular with used car salesmen and police detectives, announces a certain level of wealth and vulnerability. Mirrored glasses and a imposing figure wearing a high dollar suit telegraphs that your a body guard or secret service. The illusion evaporates once you step onto public transportation IMO.

Switching out to a more blue collar outfit makes you look less like a juicy target. Nobody is going to hassle you for a half-eaten tuna sandwich and sweaty gym clothes. Work boots and the rest of the hard wearing working man's outfit are tough and adaptable. Exactly the sort of clothes you want in an emergency.

Of course if your travel distance, or time, isn't long and the territory is routinely frequented by suits, like the subways in NYC, changing may be more trouble than it's worth. Perhaps just a change of footwear and picking up a satchel with your gear would do it.

I no longer wear office livery and work in and around construction so my everyday outfit is pretty much good. Throw the gym bag over my shoulder and I blend and have what comes covered.

OTC meds - Amazing what good can come from a tiny vial with a few pills. It isn't often but my allergies do sometimes crop up. The fast acting stuff can make life a lot easier. Hard to concentrate on the problem at hand when I'm sneezing every five seconds. To the good the trail of snot makes retracing my steps easy. If a bit slippery. LOL.

Aspirin is good for some types of heat attacks. ER doctor told me it can make a big difference. It is only fair for pain. Ibuprofen is better for pain. Particularly muscular or joint pain. Benedril is a good antihistamine but it is also good for motion sickness and as a sleep aid.

My internet connection is very slow. If I'm doing anything in addition to posting on this forum the message gets cropped.To get the whole thing in intact I have to stop everything for a couple of minutes. I may have to adopt the practice of hitting "submit" and wandering off to get a cup of coffee to give the system time to digest my input.

The last bit was a suggestion of a small travel pack of wet wipes for cleaning up and emergency toilet paper.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/03/07 02:49 PM

I would want some tool that could help me escape from a stuck subway train, eg if there was an underground accident or it just stopped due to a power cut or something. Something that could break the windows, probably.

You say water is always available. Is that still true on the train? I wouldn't count on it on the London Underground.

Otherwise what you have looks pretty good. Certainly do the whistle thing. I'd make at least one of the torches a head-torch. Money is often useful.
Posted by: thechaplain

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/03/07 03:19 PM

I carry a small Gps nothing fancy but gets the job done. i pre loaded several check points and maps of home, work, hospital, etc.. I live in Oklahoma so tornadoes are a threat and in the event that signs are down and main routes congested all i have to do is turn it on and go towards home. years ago i got stuck comming home from texas when the may third storm hit and i was stuck on I-35 for hours i tried to cut through back roads and got lost basicaly in my own backyard.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/03/07 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Brangdon
I would want some tool that could help me escape from a stuck subway train, eg if there was an underground accident or it just stopped due to a power cut or something. Something that could break the windows, probably.

Learned this one years ago...

One of the best tools (for men) when riding a subway or elevated transit system is an empty 1L (qt) water bottle and a coat/sweater for coverage.

Sometimes the train gets stopped outside a station for an extended period of time (1-1/4 hours is the record for me). I think most here can figure out the rest of this...

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/03/07 04:10 PM

The windows on the metro rails I've been on were designed to be popped out without needing to break the glass first; the pane leaves the frame intact. On the stoppage I was on I just put my head back and caught some zzz's. No problem with the train, no action required, but we weren't going anywhere. Stuff happens, roll with it.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/04/07 04:12 AM

Very much so, RAS- I don't care were you are, if you've got subways or commuter trains, you can get the windows and/or doors open without tools. Fire safety issue.

Yes, following the two or three steps on the sign labeled "in case of fire" isn't as dashing as smashing the window open, but it's liable to either be faster than trying to smash safety glass or less likely to induce major bleeding if you do get it open.

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/04/07 10:04 AM

Andy - I will have to look at my HT when I get home (I am on a business trip) to see if it has wideband receive. Do you also commute to Philly?

Art_in_FL - 90% of the time I wear cotton chinos and either a Polo shirt or button down shirt and no tie. In a crowd I look like most other men so I blend in pretty well. Good idea about the TP. Thank you.

Brangdon - My train commute is less than 10 minutes and 1/2 of that is above ground. I am confident that, assuming the train tunnel wasn't collapsed I could get out fairly quickly. That said, I am considering carrying a small water bottle. And definitly considering a headlamp or band to convert a light to headlamp. I am looking at a small pry bar that was recommended by another poster. Thank you.

Sherpadog - Oh, good point. I was focused on intake, and hadn't considered outflow smile

thechaplain - Good idea, and if I was commuting through areas that I didn't know I would carry one. For my commute, I think a compass will be enough.

Ironraven and RAS - I agree completely. The windows are designed to be opened without shattering; it is a safety issue. And I find myself compulsively reading the those instructing whenever I get on a new public transit vehicle.

Again, thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Re: What to add - Public Transit Commuter Kit - 12/04/07 01:12 PM

Now all you need is footwear (shoes/boots and socks) designed for long distance walking wink