Cheap Knives

Posted by: Scoutdoors

Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 02:44 AM

Last weekend Home Depot included 2 knives in their holiday sales. One was a chinese knockoff of the Leatherman Micra (adds pliers and saw, loses the tweezers). The other was a folder with a razor blade for the edge. They are selling for $1.98 -- still had them in stock today.

They look somewhat tolerable. The blades aren't loose. The tools all seem to work. The blade is reasonably sharp. I could see the advantage of a replaceable edge on the folder for some situations.

The question is... is it better to spend $25 for one quality Leatherman squirt to keep in your EDC? Or buy a half dozen cheap but workable replacements and put one in each kit, with extras for the car, the office, etc.
Posted by: billym

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 02:55 AM

If anything I would split the difference. EDC a high quality tool and supplement that with cheaper ones stashed in kits.
Personally I am a "one good tool" person that said each day the cheapos get better and better in quality. Check the edges on the knife though. I have seen $2 multitools that can't cut a thing; I even ran the blade across my palm.
Bill
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 03:03 AM

I bought a couple as of each as stocking stuffers. The folder with a razor blade takes the small blades and seems to be ok for what it is a light weight tool for light jobs. I have some of the full size ones and love them.
The small multi tools are a little stiff but could be usefulaain for light jobs. I would and will buy a few more just to put in different kits, just remeber they are not high quality tools. the people I got them for are more intresed in the cute factor rather than actual use.
Posted by: philip

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 03:08 AM

It's a judgment call. Some things I buy cheap, but some I depend on and want better quality. A friend buys cheap knives to give away as souvenirs at events. They're crap, and he's given me one every year for 5 or 6 years now, and they sit in a drawer because they won't hold an edge long enough to open an envelop.

The knives are perfect for him, because he gives them away. :-> My preference for a survival kit is to get quality gear, because I need it to work when I need it.

For two bucks, I'd say buy one and use it. See how it works for you. Use it before you need it and see if you're getting your money's worth.
Posted by: Duke

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 03:41 AM

As far as I'm concerned, don't buy a thing made in China when you can buy something made in the US if you have to pay 100 times the price, and I don't care whether I catch hell for saying it or not.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 03:54 AM

This was a forum issue over 7 years ago. Pre 9/11 and the collision of a American aircraft with a chicom Mig made country of origin a issue Doug felt the need to address with feedback from the forum. Politics aside, there is a decided material and philosophical difference between cheap and inexpensive. A chicom multitool is cheap, and directly represents a marketing move to secure sales of an american ( by way of swiss inspiration)intellectual and material product. A Mora is inexpensive, and hardly represents a market grab by a nation who's best efforts have been Volvos and ABBA.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 05:36 AM

Well said- innexpensive is good. Cheap kills.
Posted by: jay_imok

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Scoutdoors
... is it better to spend..for one quality..

go for quality over quantity always
Posted by: jay_imok

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Duke
...don't buy a thing made in China ..

albeit taken out of context, but...

that's a hard order to fill!
Posted by: bmo

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 11:00 AM

Welcome! Thanks for the contribution. We all use the word "cheap" so interchangeably with "inexpensive" ti was good to be reminded of the distinct difference between the two.
Posted by: norad45

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 01:24 PM

I stuck a Chinese knockoff Squirt in my BK10 kit in order to have something to take the filister screws out when removing the handles. The straight screwdriver twisted like a corkscrew. Complete crap. Bought a Leatherman P4 and it works great. My suggestion is to torture test the knockoffs first. If they work well then use 'em. At least you won't have to find out the hard way if they are junk.

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 01:44 PM

Welcome Newguy!

If you are going to EDC a blade/tool, it might as well be of quality, since you will probably find yourself using it often. A few el cheapos stashed here and there is OK too, as long as you do your best to ALWAYS have that quality one with you...
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 01:44 PM

For large portions of the world, China-made is fine for many things, and made in the USA isn't really seen as a particular mark of quality (sorry chaps, just the way it is for rest of the planet)

FWIW my NRA slippie is China-made (via benchmade I think) and it works great.

On the point of inexpensive v cheap, the Mora is a great example, and intended usage is a really key point. I keep a pair of folding pliers on my key ring - cheap and cheerful, do what I need, better than using my fingers for a lot of things. But in the car I keep decent full size pliers, because if I need them then, I know I'm really going to want them to stand up to hard work.

If all you want to do is change a plug and open envelopes, the cheap multitool will probably be fine. Might not be the right choice as a primary tool for a backpacking trip though :-)
Posted by: cajun_kw

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 02:49 PM

I don't buy knock-offs for myself ... and I only give quality for gifts. I sometimes get knock-offs as gifts though.
I'm a fan of Leatherman stuff and still have the first multi-tool they made on the 80's tucked away in one of my kits. Actually, come to think of it ...when I get a new one, the old one goes in a kits. I've had a LM Wave for quite a few years and haven't been enticed by anything newer since, and while I EDC a LM Micra, I tried a Squirt P4, but missed the scissors, but liked the little pliers....too bad I can't have one with both...even if the scissors were the folders from the Wave or something cut down to fit. I might upgrade to a Squirt S4 since I kinda like the access to the blade without opening it up ... but want the price to get about $20 like a Micra first.
I figure best quality you can afford and just imagine how pissed I'd be if I really needed the tool and it failed because it was a knock-off...then cough up the $$$ for the good one instead. And if it fails ...well, there ya go...at least I tried to get good quality.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 03:20 PM

I presonally wouldn't buy the whole bunch of cheap tools/gear. by the time you buy several cheap ones you have spent the same amount of $ as buying a decent one so your not coming out ahead there. Then you try to use one of those cheap tools and it doesn't work very well or breaks or even hurts you in the process.
IMHO your far better off spending the $ on a better quality tool and keeping track of it and keeping kits organized than having a whole bunch of junk all over the place.
Posted by: thtimster

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 03:47 PM

I've picked up some cheapies at yard sales & such. I keep them around until I can afford the premium brands. Until then, I can lend out a cheapie tool & not worry about it getting broken or swiped.

Tim
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 04:11 PM

I wait until I can buy quality at a discount. On my last trip to the US I purchased 5 knives. 2 because they were so much cheaper than in Canada (less than 1/2 the price), 1 because you can only buy it at Cabela's (S30V Freeman Hunter) and 2 impulse buys I technically didn't need (Gerber LMF II, Kershaw Cyclone). I wouldn't have bought any of those knives locally because of what they cost here.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 06:56 PM

i don't think i've ever been sorry or disappointed when i've saved up to buy the best.

bsmith

Posted by: Ron

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 08:03 PM

Not to get off on a debate on International trade, but you would have to look close not to by from China.

I just looked at the back of a Gerber Multitool package (I like Leatherman better, but would not call the Gerber cheap). Sheath is made in China. Tool is made in USA, but includes imported parts.

Posted by: Ron

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 08:30 PM

"The question is... is it better to spend $25 for one quality Leatherman squirt to keep in your EDC? Or buy a half dozen cheap but workable replacements and put one in each kit, with extras for the car, the office, etc."

I would say both. I have a Leatherman that I use for EDC and another in the car. I have a $5 multitool in the tackle box that gets a lot of use removing fish hooks and crimping lead. So, I say get a good guality one for those places where you need a good tool and store the cheap ones in places where a cheap tool is good enough. (A good primary and a cheap backup). Also, the cheap ones are good to loan to your brother-in-law.

New addition to Murphy's Laws:

The first time you take a Leatherman fishing, it will fall in the lake. $5 multitools only fall inside the boat.

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 08:46 PM

My ERT-1 is made in China and it's a fine tool...what I would expect from Benchmade.

Even the American Icon that is Harley Davidson is made from imported parts and only assembled in the US.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/29/07 11:36 PM

Ditto for the CRKT knives. IMO they're M-16 series is a good production quality knives at a decent price.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/30/07 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Ron
New addition to Murphy's Laws:

The first time you take a Leatherman fishing, it will fall in the lake. $5 multitools only fall inside the boat.

well put. brothers, let me hear you say AMEN!

bsmith

Posted by: cajun_kw

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/30/07 03:29 PM

I like Ron's idea ...use the knock-off as your loaner...hadn't considered that before now. As well as the "cheap knives only fall in the boat ...the expensive ones fall in the lake !"
That cracked me up ...and it is so true !!!
Gotta admit there are a couple knock-offs around the house ... and they suffice for some tasks ...but its clear to me my LM Wave handles all tasks better and is more durable ....so guess the secret it to know the limits of your knock-off ...my wife has a cheap multi-tool she carries sometimes ....its good for some tasks. I would use the screwdriver for anything tough, but the pliers work OK for most things and you can't shave with the knofe, but hey...most everyday times you need a knife its to open some package or letter.
I've gotten a new respect for the possible usefulness of knock-off from this thread ... especially that whole loaner thing ...nothing sucks more than loaning out your $70 tool and getting it abused or lost. I wouldn't feel so bad if it had only cost me $10.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/30/07 03:38 PM

"The first time you take a Leatherman fishing, it will fall in the lake. $5 multitools only fall inside the boat."

I lost my first Leatherman this way (original PST), it got tangled in a gill net and "ploop" it was gone.

I have replaced with 5 more versions of Leatherman!

I recieved a new TTi last week and I am liking it, although it is still a little stiff.

Mike

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/30/07 04:24 PM

Lanyards are your friends!

My dad fishes with a 150 lb pull magnet he can attach to his anchor rope...sometimes he fishes for fish...sometimes he fishes for his tools...sometimes he tries to see what other people lost.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/30/07 05:15 PM

Hey Hacksaw,

If your Dad is ever in Northwestern Ontario he is more than welcome to look for my lost Leatherman:

Location: Alford Lake, off a point on the west end about 51*9"14"N / 94*1'7" W

Good Luck,

MIke

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/30/07 05:41 PM

LOL.

I'll let him know. He hasn't found any Leathermans yet but he has a growing collection of rusty needle nose fishing pliers!
Posted by: thtimster

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/30/07 06:40 PM

A friend of mine started his son off with a cheaper brand of multitool to see if he would take care of it. If he doesn't lose it or let one of his buddies lose it he would be given a better brand.

Tim
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Cheap Knives - 11/30/07 10:38 PM

It is common practice to place backup tools around where they will most likely be needed.

On a sailboat you might see an inexpensive knife lashed firmly to the binding that holds the bitter end of the anchor rode. And another one lashed to the bindings that hold down
Posted by: harrkev

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/04/07 08:47 PM

Another cool use for a cheap tool. My son is now six years old. When he was five, I took a cheap tool and used my dremel to blunt all of the blades. Now, he has his own multi-tool "just like dad." All of the other tools are intact (including saw), but the knives won't even cut butter.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/05/07 10:41 PM

I've been trying out a very inexpensive (but not cheap!) folder for the last week. I've discovered, to my pleasant surprise, that I really like this pruning-blade, non-locking folder.

Here's the link: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=58313&cat=1,51222&ap=1

And here's my attempt at adding a photo (wish me luck):

Price: $6.50 !

Mini-Review:
- Blade 3" long, 7.5" overall
- stainless steel, chinese-made, Rc54-56, 1/8" thick at spine
- holds a surprisingly decent edge; better than 420, not quite as hard as 440
- very sturdy work knife
- because of the shape of the blade and the finger notch, I don't really miss having a lock; any way you use the blade or point, you put pressure in the right direction to keep the blade open
- I thinned out the cutting edge a little with a file; with the spine being so thick, I prefer to sharpen it at a pretty low angle

IMO, a useful, inexpensive blade as a spare in car kits, or as a gift for knife-borrowing friends.
Posted by: Greg_Sackett

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/07/07 07:10 PM

Since we are talking about inexpensive knives, I picked up one of the Swedish Military Moras from Sportsmans Guide. Heck, it was only $9, so I figured it was hard to go wrong.

Swedish Mil. Mora Knife

For the price, I have been extremely impressed with this knife. Typical carbon steel blade that's easy to sharpen and holds a good edge. It has a plastic/rubber grip that is easier to hold onto than the wooden versions. The sheath is plastic, and the little belt clip isn't the sturdiest looking thing in the world, but it retains the knife well and is quite functional.

For the record I am typically a knife snob, and own several knives that I spent > $200 on. If you are looking for an inexpensive knife to throw in a pack or give to your kids, this is a good choice.

Greg

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/07/07 08:34 PM

Nice blade. The Moras are little workhorses, and they're light enough to throw in a bag or pack 'just for luck.' Like you, I prefer the plastic handles; not as pleasing to the eye, but I find them more practical and sturdy.

So it's carbon, not stainless?
Posted by: Taurus

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/07/07 09:04 PM

This cold steel Kukri machete cost me about 30 dollars and is basically an inexpensive version of the more expensive kukri's they sell. You can dig, chop, smash, slice, cut and scrape with this knife under the most unfavorable conditions and it remains near impossible to break. It actually out performs my camp axe for a lot of field chores. If I do somehow break it I am only out 30 dollars as opposed to 300 for the expensive version.

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/07/07 09:40 PM

I always thought of Kukris as awkward until I bought a Fiskars Brush thinner machete. Now I see what people see in them. I still prefer the Fiskars to an actual Kukri simply because it's so light...I imagine that's what some people hate about it. It was about $30 too.

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 12:07 AM

I'd love to try both the CS kukri and the Fiskars hook. But I don't know an Alberta source for either. And if I have to import from the U.S., well, UPS turns a cheap item into an expensive one with their outrageous brokerage fees (shame!).

The broader question is: what qualifies as "inexpensive?" For me, that would be anything under $15. YMMV. Thoughts?

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 12:25 AM

The inexpensive line for me is a bit higher. Short of a Mora, I've yet to see something that I'd consider good quality for under $15. Totem outfitters on 99th Street in Edmonton (not sure where you're at in Alberta) carries both the carbon and stainless mora's the first for under $10 and the other for under $15.

I bought the machete at the Cabela's in Boise. I've seen them now and again around here but they're usually not as cheap as I found mine.

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 01:34 AM

Fair enough. I tend to think that inexpensive = functional yet disposable. My Spydercos, SOGs, etc. etc. are not 'inexpensive' by this definition, so I reserve them for major trips away. They don't see the rough work of an acreage yard, garden the size of two city lots, woodlot, old-house renovations, sausage making every fall, and my father's farm.

I guess I'm addicted to the 'find' -- the tool that costs next to nothing yet performs far above its price point -- the way some people love scrounging through yard sales even though they can afford to buy from the mall.

BTW: Visa and I are very familiar with all outdoor equipment retailers in Edmonton. *Sigh.*

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 02:04 AM

Check out this link, this is where I buy most of my knives. They are very fast to deliver, and if you check here and there they have a lot of clearance sales. Since it is Canadian you will not have to pay much for shipping. Hope this helps

http://www.knifezone.ca/

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 02:16 AM

Try your local farmer's co-op. I've seen something similar there with a wood handle. It may have been bigger but similar shape.

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 02:30 AM

Thanks for the link. They have the CS Kukri (had to search for it) and also a Cold Steel version of the Canadian Belt Knife for $16. More 'finds!' Don't tell DW. ;-)

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 02:53 AM

This is where I bought my Kukri, and I just ordered the cold steel ultimate hunter through them as well. My Kukri came within a week and my only complaint was that of the cold steel logo sticker which they stuck to the blade of the knife( it was a real b#t%& to get off. Happy shopping!!

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 05:26 AM

I love the selection they have! I've always wanted the Tom Brown Tracker but she'd kill me!

Some of the prices aren't that great despite 'new lower pricing'. Buck 119 special for 80 bucks?...I payed $25 at a Walmart in Montana.

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 05:36 AM

Quote:
it was a real b#t%& to get off.

If you can get them up there, there are several products I've run across to help with this. De-gums-it, Goo-gone, or de-solve-it. All three are a slightly oily, sorta citrus smelling, yellow liquid. Its some sort of petroleum distillate.

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 03:05 PM

I use Goo-gone and it works like a charm. The bottle doesn't say exactly what's in it just that it contains hydrocarbons and d-lemone whatever that is.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Buck 119 special for 80 bucks?...I payed $25 at a Walmart in Montana.

I think Buck makes two versions of the 119. A USA made version and a cheaper Chinese made version. I know they do that with their folders. Their chinese made trapper is half the price of the USA made one.

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 04:15 PM

Well it doesn't say 'made in' but it does say USA on the blade. I know Buck makes cheap made in china knives...I own one (and it IS cheap) but I'm not sure this is one of them. According to the Buck site there's 2 version of the 119 but the only difference is one has a brass butt and cocobolo handles...and it retails for over $100 US.

Knife prices in Canada are just screwed up...like so many other things right now (books for example)

I paid just over $30 for my Gerber Big Rock Camp Knife in the US. Here I've seen it as high as $70. Even with our dollar being so strong the cheapest I've seen it is about $48 and that's only very recently.

Same goes for my Gerber Freeman S30V Hunter. It's a Cabela's exclusive and I paid about the same as I would here for the Freeman Hunter that's just normal Gerber Stainless.

I paid $99 for my Gerber LMF II (again in the US) and here the cheapest I've seen it is $180!!!

There's actually some interesting reading on that knifezone website about why knives aren't cheaper in Canada even though our dollar is worth more than the US dollar. Not sure how true it is but it's interesting.

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 04:31 PM

LOL.

Here's another one. knifezone sells my Victorinox Cybertool 34 for $101. I paid $80 at the MEC about 8 or more years ago...and the price hasn't changed to this day.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking knifezone. In fact I'm considering some Cold Steel stuff today.

Just do your research folks.

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/08/07 05:13 PM

I'm guessing its some sort of oil from the peel.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/09/07 02:50 AM

Or cigarette lighter fluid. Don't smoke while using it tho...
Posted by: teacher

Re: Cheap Knives - 12/09/07 04:38 PM

Great question. I go toward the quality (and design) of the more expensive tools.

The other advantage of Leatherman or any other name brand (Gerber, etc) is they have gone through several designs; they are better than the same tools ten years ago. The cheapie knock-offs never do that.

Teacher

PS If you need several tools, go the Ebay route.