Rusty's BOB with pics

Posted by: Rusty

Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 01:29 AM

Hi all!!

I have been for some time now, wanting to photograph and post the contents of my large BOB. I finally had the time over the weekend to do it!! I kinda got a little crazy with the pictures but i thought it was necessary in order to show everything. Enjoy!!

My BOB is a MOLLE style backpack from Cheaperthandirt
I know that the pack's quality is considered "substandard" by many, but it is all my budget at the time could allow. So far it has been a great pack although I have yet to test it in the field. I will most likely upgrade to a new and higher quality pack sometime in the future.

And a side view with a deck of card for a size reference:

The pack has a compartment where a CamelBack bladder could go but I have yet to actually put a bladder in it.

The next pic shows a bit of the two side pocket's contents:

The left pocket houses:
  • AG Russell Deer Hunter in VG10 Steel
  • Ziplock bag full of 8 Esbit tabs and a mini BIC lighter

The right pocket houses:
  • Standard Leatherman Tool (The nice Wave is in the EDC)
  • "Rite in the Rain" No. 146 Notebook
  • 4 misc large plastic trash bags
  • BOB "CORE" kit in Pelican 1020 case (details below)
  • Misc lengths of paracord

The Pelican 1020 case was detailed in another one of my posts a while back. I have since removed the vial of matches and the ARC AA LED light. I will probably get a Benchmade Benchmite to replace the HUGE SAK in this kit. I added:
  • Photon II LED (White)
  • Large BIC Lighter
  • $100 in various bills
  • Small zip-lock bag with several REI storm matches with striker tab
  • Medium sized Mag/steel rod

I would love to post the newer pics, but i think i have enough pics in this post already... smile

A pic of the right pocket contents:

The outside small pocket at the top contains:

• Sysnylon pack cover
  • Black Diamond LED/Incandescent headlamp
  • SAS Pocket Survival guide
  • 2 packs of gum
  • Various energy bars
  • 2 plastic trashbags
  • Small AAA LED flashlight from Walmart
  • Cutter bugspray 35 DEET
  • Ziplock bag with sharpening stone,mini bic, superglue,and matches
  • Various lengths of paracord

The bottom outside pocket:

• 100ft black paracord
  • 2 packs of camping toilet paper
  • 4 packages of GI Trioxane fuel
  • Spare prescription glasses
  • "Croakies" for glasses
  • Reel of 3 color military snare wire (50+ ft?)
  • 2 small rolls of camping Duct Tape
  • 2 person AMK Heatsheet
  • 1 pair elk skin work gloves

The outside large top pocket:

Contents:
  • Silva Landmark Compass
  • 10 packages Micropur MP 1 water tablets
  • Kershaw Blackout folding knife
  • Garmin eTrex Legend GPS
  • Surefire L1 LED Flashlight
  • Surefire spares carrier for batteries
  • ARC AAA LED flashlight
  • Red cotton bandanna
  • A state and local map
  • AMK .9 FAK
  • SAM Splint
  • 3 packs Gookinaid Hydralyte Drink Mix (from REI)
  • Sparky K1 fire starter in leather pouch
  • Fisher Space Pen from Campmor
  • Various other pens and pencils
  • 2 bottles hand sanitizer

And now for the INSIDE of the pack!!

The small top mesh pocket on the inside contains:
  • 20 various size zip-ties
  • "Pocket chainsaw" in tin
  • Standard Esbit stove with 3 fuel tabs inside
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Floss
  • Sewing kit
  • Large bar of soap
  • Survival sheet (the really loud "crinkly" type smile )
  • Bottle of GI storm matches
  • 3 x 5 Sponge
  • Survival tent from REI (yellow)

The main compartment of the pack contains (this is the stuff on the floor in the above picture):

• Two 30ml Nalgene bottle with Snow Peak 700ml titanium cup on the bottom of one and 50ft of duct tape wrapped around the other
  • Grey GoLite Cave 2 tarp/tent
  • Standard issue GI "Boonie" hat (green)
  • Pack Towel in mesh bag
  • Stainless Steel mess kit
  • Playtypus 2 liter water carrier
  • Playtypus 1 liter water bag
  • SOS 3600 cal rations (wow these guys are HEAVY!!)
  • SOS 2400 cal rations
  • 3 cotton shirts
  • 2 pair boxers
  • Cotton sweatshirt
  • 3 pair cotton socks
  • 1 pair wool socks
  • BEST GLIDE fishing kit (the larger one)
  • Lid for Snow Peak 700ml cup

THATS IT!!!

Yes, I know what you are thinking, this BOB is pretty heavy. I'm estimating around 45-55lbs.!!! I would like to shave off some weight if possible, but I am use to carrying a heavy bag since I am a student smile.

I am aware of some obvious problems with my BOB (although i am sure there are more i am missing smile ), it needs:
  • Better material clothing (i.e. NOT COTTON)
  • Cold weather gloves and watch cap
  • A Poncho
  • Possibly a small radio (Grundig 100??)
  • N95 Masks
  • Udig-it Trowel
  • Extra batteries (AA and AAA)
  • I probably have too many plastic bags and "various lengths of paracord" smile
  • A gear repair kit is needed
  • Excessive redundancy in certain items even for a survival kit?? (i.e. hand sanitizer)??

I am also thinking about ditching the relatively heavy stainless steel cookset and either getting an aluminum one or just not replacing it at all. I purchased the Best Glide Gill Net but it was WAY TOO BIG for this kit.
I have a Becker BK7 that can be added on the exterior of the kit depending on where i am going. I am also looking for a MOLLE bag\pouch that can be attached to the bottom of the pack for additional capacity...

I am concerned with the functionality of my Esbit stove for boiling water. I am not so confidant in it for this job. I may switch in the future to something else...

Questions, comments, ideas,etc. are greatly appreciated as always!!
Posted by: hiker1

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 02:00 AM

If you can afford it, buy a Titanium cookset or one larger Titanium "cup" that is designed to be placed on a flame. That reduces the cookset to one piece and reduces weight.

I have a crank/battery operated radio that will also charge my cell phone.

Since Winter is coming on; gloves and hat are most important.

SOS 3600 cal rations (wow these guys are HEAVY!!)

SOS 2400 cal rations: And what do these taste like?

I tasted some 72 hour ration bars, lemon flavored....yes you can live on them...but..

Incidentally, my large BOB is packed in an Arc'teryx Bora 35.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 02:26 AM

I have a Kelty RedCloud pack that may be the home of this kit soon (especially if I add the proper amount of clothing).

I have heard that Titanium Cooksets may be very light weight but Aluminum kits are better at actually cooking in. All I have every really cooked anything in is stainless steel. I'm looking at the MSR Blacklight cookset .

As far as what the SOS rations taste like: I just got them about a week ago and I haven't opened one up yet. I ordered a whole slew of different brands of rations just to try them. The problem is that when you open them, I think you "expose" ALOT of the ration (like 3 days worth)??? A bit much for a sampling...

Anyway, I will try them and let everyone know what I think

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 02:29 AM

That 'substandard' pack looks pretty good to me. Price doesn't always equate with quality and that goes both ways. My MEC Deluxe bookbag is one of the sturdiest packs I own and it only cost me $35.

I have the same problem with Weight Rusty. In my case it's because of my strong desire to carry the kitchen sink everywhere I go. Upgrading materials (like titanium) will give you some gains but at a cost. Being cheap I find the cost of Titanium to not be worth saving a couple of ounces out of a 50+ lb. pack.

I find the best way to save weight is to get rid of as many 'unitaskers' as possible. Get as much equipment as possible which serves more than one purpose. This is a battle I just started fighting and with this type of gear it's hard.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 02:37 AM

The pack is pretty good, but I can see how the zippers could cause problems. The stitching isn't the best I have seen either. But for like $49 it really isn't bad. So far it definitely gets a thumbs up.

I guess if I wanted closer to MILSPEC I could dish out like $250+ smile

And by multitasking equipment you mean those whistle\match case\compass\flashlight combos right?? wink

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
That 'substandard' pack looks pretty good to me. Price doesn't always equate with quality and that goes both ways. My MEC Deluxe bookbag is one of the sturdiest packs I own and it only cost me $35.

I have the older version of the backpack and it has been used on an almost daily basis for 4 - 5 years now carrying 15 to 20 lbs (and sometimes more) with not even a loose thread. It's too bad that MEC changed the design and eliminated the 3 small back pockets and went to a 1 back pocket design. The only thing it is missing is a padded waist belt...but is still a great pack.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 03:09 AM

when I say multitasker I'm thinking outside the box...or trying to.

For example. You could use a good candle as a source of light, heat (for yourself or for simmering), or a fire starter...you can even use hot wax in gear repairs.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Rusty

I guess if I wanted closer to MILSPEC I could dish out like $250+ smile

I learned long ago that MILSPEC does not always equate quality....just ask any active duty or retired service member their opinion on this, I am sure they will agree.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 03:10 AM

Just remember. The people who make stuff for the military are generally making it because they were the lowest bidder.
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 03:55 AM

Something I don't understand:
people keep posting BOB contents on here with no sleeping bag. What do americans do at night? Can you rely on always lighting a fire and keeping it going with wet wood, if you have right gear, even in the rain? Then sleep next to that? And what about the side not facing the fire? is that what the space blankets are for? You set that up to reflect heat onto you or something?
The Sock

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 03:58 AM

Space blankets can be used for all kinds of things. They're water and wind proof. I keep a cheap one around to set up as a radiant heat reflector...or two reflectors.

As for not having a sleeping bag that all depends on what your bug out plan is. Not everybody who's 'bugging out' is going to be roughing it in the woods.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 04:07 AM

You are so very right. A heat sheet helps but it does not provide the warmth of a sleeping bag. The only problem is that a sleeping bag (at least mine for that matter) is that it is as big as my entire kit!!

My bug out plan does not include sleeping in the wilderness without shelter.

I am not discrediting the idea of carrying a sleeping bag in your BOB (in fact i am thinking of strapping mine to my BOB right now!!) but for some users, it isn't their number one priority for BOB contents.

Just my $0.02

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 04:11 AM

So you all have somewhere to run? And the kit is to get you there? What do you do when you need to sleep?
The Sock
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 04:27 AM

I can't speak for anyone else, but my answer to the sleeping bag question:

BOB is stored fully loaded, except possibly for water (I've got 4 quarts at all times in mine). Sleeping bags that are stored in compression bags for a long time go to pot, pure and simple. You lose loft, and it never comes back. Also, the bag I carry in summer (lows in the 50s-60s) is in no way shape or form able to deal with my winter needs (lows in the single digits or lower, with -30s happening several times a year).

As a result, any BOB I build doesn't have a sleeping bag. But he's certainly got a place to mount one. Instead, my sleeping bags are stored on hangers where they can breath and be fluffed. If I have to, it takes maybe 2 minutes to dump the right bag for the season into the dry bag that already has a pad, hammock and hammock straps in it. If I have time, I'll pull in the compression straps, and mounted it to BOB; if I don't, grab the carry handle and have a hand full. *shrugs*

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 04:48 AM

If you don't have someplace to go, you've failed to plan.

Before you start looking at the sexy toys, the first, nay, the ZEROTH thing you have to do once you made the decision to develope a bug out plan is have a destination, a "bug out location" (BOL). Preferably, people are normally at your BOL and the expect you rather than repel boarders as soon as they see you.

Then, and only then do starting assembling your kit with the time it will take you to get there in mind. Assume you'll have to walk. For some people, it is under 20 miles, say a family member or a friend who lives on high ground and has a solid house. Or 20 miles to get from work to home. You can generally push that through in a day, without significant stops. It might mean an all nighter on your feet, but it works. I don't have that luxury, even if my primary route has a couple of way points where I might be able to beg some floor space (or a couch to crash on during a short term disruption) it is 70 miles to my primary BOL, so I plan on spending every night in the field until I get to where I'm going.

BOB is a survival machine, just like an life raft or an ejector seat. It doesn't have to work for everyone under all conditions, just you under your conditions. It has to be able to get you to your BOL(s) under your own power. Sometimes, you'll have transport and you won't need BOB's contents for very long. Other times, you'll have BOB and a pair of shoes and maybe your glasses or underware (pick one). Either way, BOB must be able to give you what you need accomplish your objective given expected duration (plus a safety margin), your local conditions and your personal skills. But if you don't have a plan before you pull the pin, you are at best going to be a well equipped refugee. At worst, you'll be a well equipped corpse, at least until someone finds you and picks your pockets.
Posted by: teacher

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 05:33 AM

Sock -- I'm with you. A 3-5 pound bag is great to have.

Rusty -- My first suggestion is to upgrade to fleece; hat and sweatshirt. Cheap and very nice to have

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 05:38 AM

>CamelBack bladder could go
Remember that water occupied about 60 cubic inches per quart/liter, plus space for all the parts of the bladder. If you are tight already, don't count on getting a big bladder in. I'd rather have the Nalgenes if forced to pick between bottles and bladders.

>mini BIC lighter
Ziptie under the plunger so it can't be vented accidentally. Goes for the big Bic as well.

>Cutter bugspray 35 DEET
Bag it WELL. A small hard case for it would be better. DEET eats nylon, and the damage isn't always visible. On your lower cost packs, you don't find true Codura as often, which is one of the most dense and thus most resistant nylons available, but still- I've switched to paramethium (I think that is what is called- Cutter Advanced)

>2 bottles hand sanitizer
1 should be enough.

>Survival tent from REI (yellow)
Drop it, you have the GoLite

>Stainless Steel mess kit
Expand, you might be able to cut something out here.

> [*]Playtypus 2 liter water carrier
> [*]Playtypus 1 liter water bag
I'd say pick one.

> [*]Lid for Snow Peak 700ml cup
Should be with the cup.

You caught most of your own short comings. I would strip out some of the clothes, myself, but not the socks.

I'd add a vest, preferably not an obviously tactical pattern but photo/safari or fishing type. Put some of your core items (PSK, FAK, one knife or multi, flashlight, etc) in it, that way if you have to drop BOB for some reason you've still got the major components. That will free up some space.

This has compression straps high and low- I'm not a fan of Blackhawk, but they make accessory pockets of about 300ci each that will fit on there that run about 20 bucks each. Similiarly, if you have a small enough sleeping bag, some of your shelter items can share a dry bag with it under the pack, or just put some of your smaller soft stuff and your consumables in a dry bag and last it to the bottom of the pack.

You have a number of flashlights- cut the number down, and if possible settle on two battery sizes. You'll need spare batteries.

In some places you've got full sized items (like the bar of soap) where you can get away with a cut down or travel sized equivalent.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 06:40 AM

Let me see if I've got this right then: A kit without a sleeping bag doesn't work?
So the kits without a sleeping bag added before you leave has
this plethora of knives, pens, cord, fire starting kits etc to get you through one day?
Or; you assume you can only have to bug out from home where you can pick the sleeping bag up?
The Socks
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 09:13 AM

A sleeping bag will make life more comfortable, but it's not essential if you can improvise shelter.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 09:48 AM

Do you mean some kind of heated shelter like a lean to with a fire in front? Getting a good nights sleep sounds pretty essential. You won't last long if you are awake all night shivering and might not survive a frosty night at all.
The Sock
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 10:56 AM

Personally, I think dressing properly for the environment is much more important than having a sleeping bag. I've spent many a night sleeping without a sleeping bag, even waking up with snow on the ground the next morning. I see bums in NYC in winter that sleep in just they're clothing (though they wear enough layers of clothing that they look like a walking sleeping bag grin). A sleeping bag, IMO, is secondary to a proper shelter set up and proper clothing for the situation.

With that said, I keep a Thermo-Lite Bivvy in my BOB (as well as a few large garbage bags). The Thermo-Lite isn't a true sleeping bag, but I think it's plenty in most situations when you just need that little bit more either to keep you comfortable, or to keep you alive.

Posted by: JIM

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 01:15 PM

I would try to add some other form of tinder, like cotton/vaseline balls, tinder-quick, etc. Those things are a lot easier to light than a esbit-tab.

Do you have some rain-gear?
Posted by: Russ

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Sherpadog
. . . I learned long ago that MILSPEC does not always equate quality....just ask any active duty or retired service member their opinion on this, I am sure they will agree.
Well since you asked. . . Military (including Navy) gear originates with a requirement or needs statement. The Program Managers take those requirements and create a specification which details just exactly what the gear needs to be able to do. Sometimes the gear is absolutely wonderful on a battlefield because it's tough and never fails when you need it; but it sucks when not on a battlefield because it's also heavy. Unit cost is also a consideration, but even the lowest bidder needs to meet spec -- theoretically.

I usually stay away from MilSpec because for my needs mountain climber and hiker spec is better -- I plan to stay away from battlefields and I'd rather have something that blends into my environment. I don't buy the milspec Camelbak packs because they scream military and they're a bit heavier; the lighter bags are tough enough. I bought a Maxpedition bag and initially used it as a BOB, but it's heavy for its capacity so I went to a much lighter bag that blends much better.

With all the gear that a typical soldier wears and carries, weight is becoming a critical spec in a lot of the military gear, but that Maxpedition bag was way overbuilt for my needs.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: TheSock
So the kits without a sleeping bag added before you leave has
this plethora of knives, pens, cord, fire starting kits etc to get you through one day?

My BOB is also my Search and Rescue 'Ready Pack' as they serve a similar purpose. I put mine together with enough food to last 2 days comfortably assuming a lot of activity. Considering how long the body can go without food I could last a lot longer if I had to using those two days to travel, build shelter, gather wood, assemble signal fires, or whatever while I was fed.

As far as sleeping bags so I'd say it depends on the weather. Where I'm at in Alberta, my BOB has a sleeping bag. I put it in a O.R. stuff sack bigger than the original to save the loft (TNF recommends storing it in the original bag so the Loft should be fine). Come summer I'll likely only take my AMK 2.0 bivy.

A good shelter can make all the difference. The shelter you learn to build at the Boreal institute can keep you comfy at 40 below or worse with a 20 degree (-7 C) sleeping bag (and a good fire). They call it a Supershelter. It incorporates some pretty simple materials...including a space blanket. The way the Supershelter is built, you could heat it very easily with just a candle if you had to.

Posted by: bmisf

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 04:58 PM

Regarding sleeping bags: they're a nice to have for a winter kit, but your winter kit should also have insulating clothing (e.g. a synthetic or down jacket, hats, gloves/mittens) that will help a lot and keep you warm in a survival situation even when you're not bundled up for the night.

One add-on option is an ultralight quilt or wearable bag (like the Exped Wallcreeper). I keep one of the latter uncompressed in a garbage bag in my trunk along with the BOB; I can wear it as an extra clothing layer and still move around and use my arms, or I can zip it up as a sleeping bag and still wear additional insulating layers under or over it. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a winter camping sleeping bag, but it's great for a BOB.

There are bivy sacks out there that are as light as 5 oz (e.g. from backpackinglight.com) that would make good emergency backups along with an AMK bivy (which works more like a vapor barrier liner and will wet out your insulation pretty fast if you wear those layers inside of the AMK bivy). The ones from BPL or Mountain Laurel Designs (or heavier ones from OR, Integral Designs, etc.) are waterproof/breathable and more suitable as a winter cover for insulating layers.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 05:16 PM

For your N95 I would recommend the cool fold up ones. They come in a box of ten and have the valve thingy. Also what i like about them is that they fold up, this makes them so they don;t get wrinkled a easily.

as usual, no relationship, although I did just get an email from them.

-JAce
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 05:42 PM

My sleeping bag is my core survival item, # 1 on my essentials, don't leave home without it. # 2 is my teddy bear and #3 my knife.The purpose of any item; sleeping bag, cookset etc is not to be ultralight or compress to the size of an aspirin bottle but to keep you warm or fed. I have on two occasions been injured or ill with sudden influenza that left me just able to crawl into my bag and assume the dead maggot fetal position. One of my favourite quotes from a New Zealand kayaking club is ( to paraphrase) " Assemble the very best gear you can. But never make the decision to start an adventure based on having that kit." Yes, S/S is heavy. Has anyone tried using aluminum or Titanium as an expedient digging tool? The ESBIT will boil water. You just have to have an efficient container, a windscreen and lower your expectations to a cup of tea or soup. You are not going to heat a jacuzzi with one. But if your curled up in your bag with the flu, It's just right for a cup of chicken noodle soup before sleeping 8 hours and waking up to your group's calls and a very lethargic rattlesnake curled next to you. And no, I didn't kill the buzzworm and cook it in my ESBIT.Killing somebody you slept with is bad form, except in Hollywood.
Posted by: Shadow_oo00

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 06:13 PM

Rusty

Nice kit, a friend of mine has the same pack, I bought it for him about 3 yrs ago and it has held up well. I used to have the Camelbak version myself, which was twice the weight. Your BOB seems well thought out, I'm sure you'll add and subtract things over time as we all do, personal choices, changing conditions etc. Point is you saw the need to create one, and a good start considering working within a budget. One suggestion if your concerned about the
stitching is to do like I did, purchase the thread from ebay or whatever source you chose and add some to your sewing kit or field repair kit. Another thing that seems to have stirred a discussion is the addition of a sleeping bag, I would suggest carrying one either attached to your BOB or carried in your car. Just my opinion though, I'm sure some will argue either for or against.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 06:24 PM

Ironraven -
  • The yellow survival tent from REI has been removed
  • The smaller Playtypus water container has been removed
  • The large soap bar will be removed when I find a travel sized bar
  • Bug spray has been put in a plastic bag
  • I don't actually have a CamelBack bladder in the BOB, it wouldn't fit.
  • Hand sanitizer bottles will be limited
  • Sleeping bag will be hanging near the BOB for quick attaching
  • I will have to think about limiting the flashlights, it's always such a hard decision...
  • The lid to the 700ml cup is near the cup but i can't figure out how to attach it to the cup when the cup is on the Nalgene bottle...

Teacher-The fleece gloves, cap, and jacket are on the way

JIM- I have a full baggy of 50 quick tinders that are waiting to go into my kit(s) once I get my order of tiny bottles and baggys in.

climberslacker- I will be ordering a box of N95 masks ASAP. I am always hesitant to order a certain type just because there are SO many different styles and I don't want to order an inferior model.

Shadow-I will be making a repair kit very soon. There was a great post like a week ago about repair kits that will help me in my formation of the kit.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Posted by: MDinana

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: ironraven

As a result, any BOB I build doesn't have a sleeping bag. But he's certainly got a place to mount one. Instead, my sleeping bags are stored on hangers where they can breath and be fluffed. If I have to, it takes maybe 2 minutes to dump the right bag for the season into the dry bag that already has a pad, hammock and hammock straps in it. If I have time, I'll pull in the compression straps, and mounted it to BOB; if I don't, grab the carry handle and have a hand full. *shrugs*

Totally agree with you Ironraven. My sleeping bag is in the bag from REI that it came with, and as such is about as big as my BOB (a large ALICE pack). I can pack it quick if need be, or just cram it into the bag.

But, just in case, my BOB does have 2 wool blankets, as well as the obligatory space blankets. I've also got a fleece top, wool glove liners, and fleece hat in it.

Plus, since I don't plan on walking as my first mode of transport, my car has more space blankets and 2 more wool blankets, vacuum sealed and tucked under my backseat.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 08:39 PM

Interesting. . .my REI mummy bag is in the big storage bag that it came in, inside a very large duffel bag that doesn't compress it, in the back of my truck with other camping gear. It's nice to know that if I get stuck on the road I can be comfortably warm regardless of outside temps.

My walking kit/get-home-bag has a lightweight Thermolite Mummy Bag Liner, rather than the bag itself. If I'm somewhere that the bag liner isn't enough, I'll stay with the truck and all the gear that isn't in my walking kit.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 09:39 PM

I my first post of this thread, I mentioned the CORE of my BOB as being a kit in a Pelican 1020 case. I just took some pictures to show the revised contents since my earlier post a few months back.

And the contents:

Conatiner: Pelican 1020 (with internal rubber housing removed)
Contents:
  • SAK "Supertinker"
  • Tweezers
  • DR PSK contents (details can be found elsewhere...)
  • Mini BIC Lighter
  • Full-sized BIC lighter
  • Katadyn MicroPur Tabs (two packages containing 2 tablets each)
  • NonAspirin (2 pills)
  • AntiGas (2 pills)
  • Ibuprofen (2 pills)
  • Alcohol Prep pad (1 pad)
  • Electrolyte Replacement (2 pills)
  • Triple Antibiotic Ointment (1 package)
  • Bandaid (3 large, 3 small)
  • $100 in various smaller bills
  • Esbit Tab
  • Mag rod with steel
  • REI storm matches (one box worth)
  • Razorknife blade
  • Photon II LED Light

Yes I do probably have too many matches. I will change the quantities around when I get my order of tiny little zip-lock bags in. I do not like the large SAK in this kit, I will most likely trade it out for a Squirt or a Benchmite...
I DESPERATELY need a water container in this kit, like a milkbag.
Overall I think my firestarting area is well covered, maybe too redundant though...

Anyway, enjoy the pics!!

Posted by: NeighborBill

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/25/07 11:37 PM

For a water container, think about an oven bag (the kind you just cooked a turkey in). I soon plan to fill mine with varying quantities of water, so I can get volume marking dimensions (1 cup, 250 mL, etc etc).

Once I figure out a "scientific" method of filling, securing the top can easily be done with a length of twine, rubber band, or binder clip.

The bags are very tough, take up less space than breast milk bags (although I love my IV fluid bags...too bulky), hold more.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/26/07 03:01 AM

The matches are fine, they just need a better package. Ziplocks suck.

I would however pull the large Bic, and replace the mini with a fresh one (again, zip tie or something under the plunger). I'd also think about pulling one of the ferro-based systems (says the guy with a Sparklight and a cut-down Doans in his kit). That will free up enough space for you to put a USGI or better match case in there, with the striker taped to the inside (strike surface facing the wall of the container, not the sticky or the matches).

What you don't have in there is tinder. You need tinder, don't count on being able to find any when it is cold and wet and getting dark and your coordination has gone to hell.

This is the kind of thing I think needs to be in a vest. You'll always be wearing the vest; you won't always be wearing the pack.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/26/07 03:03 AM

Sock, this has been explained by myself and others. Please read our comments.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/26/07 03:08 AM

ironraven - what do you suggest other that zip-lock? Is there another type of bag that can hold stuff in a small kit?

I think I will just use the tiny bottles that i just ordered. Like you said, zip-lock bags aren't the best.

I have a bag of 50 quick tinder pieces that will be distributed to all my kits as soon as i have a bottle\bag\container to keep them in inside my kits.

PS - What is "Doans"?

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/26/07 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Rusty
[*]The large soap bar will be removed when I find a travel sized bar

*looks around, making sure no small kids are around as I take things out of my pocket* Jace, you're the youngest- look away.

*taking a length of wire and several pencils, I quickly construct a garrote*

*sneaks up soap, and using the maximum possible violence with the minimum amount of noise, garrotes said bar of soap, nearly decapitating it, finishing it of with a twist*

*hands the "top" half of the soap to Rusty* It needs a couple of ziplocks, or it will make a mess in your bag.

*sneaks off, leaving not even a foot print*
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/26/07 03:32 AM

Hi Rusty,

As a small replacement for zip-lock bags I have used many different sizes of "Whirl-pak bags. They are plastic bags that have 2 thin wires (kind of like 2 twist ties) across the opening. You close the bag like you would a large fold-top dry bag. I think somewhere it the past on the ETS site there was a omparison of them with Gerber milk bags.

I have sealed liquid in them many times and they are quite tough.

Mike

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/26/07 04:36 AM

I use a small bottle of Camp Suds soap. It's biodegradable and washes everything from pots to my hair. The only down side is that I wouldn't be able to fly with it...but I hate flying so that's a non concern for me.

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/26/07 07:27 AM

>The shelter you learn to build at the Boreal institute can keep >you comfy at 40 below or worse with a 20 degree (-7 C) sleeping >bag (and a good fire). They call it a Supershelter.

This sounds fascinatng; can you tell us all how to do this?
The Sock

Re: Rusty's BOB with pics - 11/26/07 02:48 PM

Well I'll try to do the instructions justice and give you the condensed version...it's fairly simple.

You build a sleeping platform out of (preferably) wrist thick logs cut with a bow saw. Over the platform you erect a frame using flexible saplings in a half dome shape. The dome is then covered with the space blanket. Over that, anchored to the ground is parachute cloth. And over that is clear plastic sheeting...only with a gap at the back to allow circulation through the parachute cloth and with enough hanging over the opening to drape over the entrance to the ground if needed to keep the weather out. Next you cover the platform with a bough bed. You build waist high fire about 1 or 2 paces away from the entrance. Presuming you've already collected more firewood than you'll need for the night, you stack that up 1 or 2 paces on the opposite side of the fire. The stack of wood will reflect heat towards the shelter and dry the wood at the same time. If you have already dry wood, you keep that next to the shelter, under the plastic so you can add wood in the night without having to get out of the shelter. In the morning you can get up, sit on the edge of the platform (you can even make yourself a foot rest so your feet don't neeed to sit on the ground) and cook breakfast over the fire...or using a stove...whichever. The foot platform is also a great place to dry clothing or boots. It's pretty easy to build it big enough for two as well.

If you go to the website for the Boreal Institute (www.boreal.net) and browse around you'll see some pictures of the supershelters.