Quik Clot heat release

Posted by: redflare

Quik Clot heat release - 11/22/07 09:43 AM

Does anyone know how significant the heat release is from Quik Clot when it is applied to wound? I have heard conflicting accounts.

Thanks
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Quik Clot heat release - 11/22/07 02:48 PM

From here:
http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/print.html?id=249654&bPool=FE.pennnet.com%2Farticle_tool_bar

Temperature was measured in the wounds following QuikClot application and never increased to more than 45º C.

A follow-up study by Drs. Rhee and Alam was designed to address more accurately the issue of heat release following application of QuikClot in the same model of lethal groin injury. The experimental design of this study was identical to the one described above; however, in this investigation the impact of residual moisture (RM) was evaluated to measure its impact on the efficacy of QuikClot. In addition, other hemostatic agents were compared including a chitosan bandage and a bovine fibrin-based hemostatic factor.

The heat release was measured at the wound level as described above, and a microscopic examination of the tissues was conducted to better evaluate the potential damage that the exothermic reaction could cause following QuikClot application.

QuikClot again was the only product used in this experiment able to achieve 100 percent survivability. In addition, QuikClot application caused the smallest amount of blood loss, as in the results described earlier. QuikClot successfully arrested hemorrhage in all experimental animals and prevented re-bleeding when clinical conditions improved. A chitosan bandage was also quite effective in controlling bleeding, but showed a concerning variability of efficacy among different animals(8).

Tissue samples directly exposed to the different agents were compared to control samples from the opposite, uninjured side. Results show that tissue damage was clearly restricted to the treated areas and of overall mild significance. In addition, some damage could have been caused by ischemia following bleeding and hypotension, and could not be attributed directly to heat damage. Furthermore, QuikClot application was considered of such great efficacy in controlling hemorrhage and preventing death that any tissue damage observed was deemed acceptable(8).

Hope that helps. Temporary exothermic reaction in one spot of the body will have no harmful effect otherwise taking a bath or going to sauna would create major problems for us. Normal body temp is 36.6º C and water boils at 100º C. 45º C they speak of won't make any difference especially since after the reaction takes place cooling process starts. Assuming that average outside temp is within 25-27º C you have a heat transfer from high to low. The only thing that I read in other study is that heat application causes vasodilation which increases a diameter of bleeding caps or vein or arteries which will cause temporary significant/insignificat increase in bleeding. Personaly I think it doesn't matter and argument in a study was brought up just becasue there was nothing else to say.

QuikClot and similar products save lives. It's a proven fact. Anytime somebody brings out the argument against it it's for two reasons: either to sell you another product or to talk crap. Latter I usually answer them with a question: what did we have before quikclot?
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Quik Clot heat release - 11/22/07 04:09 PM

Also, remember to be specific about which formula you are asking about. The original QuikClot did used to get pretty hot, but the newer formulations are engineered to remain cooler… approximately 105° F according to their website (http://www.z-medica.com/quikclot/index.asp).

Re: Quik Clot heat release - 11/23/07 07:19 AM

Thanks for both answers! smile This is exactly what I was looking for.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Quik Clot heat release - 11/23/07 04:29 PM

good news for me also..i have Quickclot in a first aid pack
that go's on canoe trips..the talk about the "problems" made
me think i may have wasted my money..this is what i like about
ETS--if you work around the yack-yack you can get some real solid info from people who know--

Re: Quik Clot heat release - 11/24/07 11:23 PM

On the hills of this topic...
Do any other formulations of these type of products release heat?
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Quik Clot heat release - 11/24/07 11:48 PM

Don't think so... Celox works the same way as Quikclot w/o heat but than again new Quikclot has been improved so it is not a concern. Another great product is HemCon bandages, also no heat but quite expensive.

"Gen 1" Quikclot was a problem (minor burns around edge of the wound). "Gen 2" Quikclot was used in the study I read and used to answer your question and produced very low heat 45 C. We also use "gen 2" product. I guess formula had to be revised in order to compete with Celox. I would love to see some folow up studies on use of both products and outcome for patients.