Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#292422 - 06/07/19 07:40 PM 'In the office' modified ten essentials
teacher Offline
Old Hand

So your commute downtown to an air conditioned office building might mean some modification to what you carry -- what are some examples of urban office carry?

#292428 - 06/08/19 11:07 AM Re: 'In the office' modified ten essentials [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Looking at the offices I tend to go to:
  • Dress shoes vs. outdoors shoes. I work hard to find shoes that I can walk a long way in that are still appropriate.
  • Inconspicuous folder vs. any kind of fixed blade knife.
  • Small flashlight in my pocket vs. something larger in a belt-pouch.
  • Business appropriate laptop bag (in my case with medical and other emergency gear in it) vs. a hydration pack.
  • I keep a lighter in my laptop bag on general principle (I don't smoke) but nothing more than that for starting a fire.

#292604 - 06/28/19 09:00 PM Re: 'In the office' modified ten essentials [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

*Raincoat, most days. otherwise an umbrella
*Water bottle
* bus or rail pass

#292924 - 08/09/19 08:51 PM Re: 'In the office' modified ten essentials [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

*spare dress shirt
*toothbrush
* spork, waterbottle
*charger and cords, various
*small flashlight

#292927 - 08/10/19 06:05 AM Re: 'In the office' modified ten essentials [Re: chaosmagnet]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
[*]Dress shoes vs. outdoors shoes. I work hard to find shoes that I can walk a long way in that are still appropriate.

Good shoes are quite worthwhile. I am able to find comfortable dress shoes (Ecco, Rockport, etc.), but they are not designed to be rugged, to do well in rain, mud, etc. What are your recommendations?

My office prep is mainly for an overnight stay. Perhaps the road home gets flooded. Perhaps there is a chemical spill. I assume the office building is still "working," but maybe that's not a great assumption.

#292930 - 08/10/19 12:09 PM Re: 'In the office' modified ten essentials [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I used to do well with Dunham, which is a New Balance brand. I could run in them and they were waterproof, if not overly rugged. They changed their lineup and I don't wear them any more. More recently I've been wearing Johnston & Murphy shoes at work. They're about the same cost, a bit better looking (at least to me), last a lot longer, and still waterproof. Good for long walks or shorter distances running.

When I had a downtown office I surreptitiously stocked a locking file drawer with involuntary overnight supplies, being largely a change of clothes, a pair of boots, toiletries and snacks. Now with my "office" being my car more often than not, I have a lot more flexibility.

#293789 - 10/10/19 05:03 AM Re: 'In the office' modified ten essentials [Re: teacher]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Top one of the essentials, IMO, is water

Before retirement, I had some lockable drawers in the office. So, I made a cache of essentials in case I was stranded in the office and couldn't go back home due to the weather or whatever. I stored and rotated a few bottles of water and biscuits/crackers that I bought from the cafeteria. In addition, I stored a few other items that would be helpful if I had to sleep in the office.

There was also a small bag containing flashlight, extra batteries, lighter, multitool ..etc. just in case I had to walk

Never needed them but was good feeling to know they were there.
Funny thing is , in the same drawers I kept a small personal tool kit, which has seen tons of use in the office.

#293796 - 10/10/19 04:41 PM Re: 'In the office' modified ten essentials [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My recent office experience has centered around seasonal work in our county's election office. We go into high gear at least the week before the election,working late well into the evening. Flashlights are good things to have.

Election night is typically an all-nighter,although those of us who started at 6AM can usually leave by 1 or 2 AM the next day. Power outages occur, although emergency generators do kick in. On one occasion of election day, our phone network crashed and I had to leave our basement office in order to deal with a problem in one of our precincts reduced to using my personal cell phone. At least this sort of thing is relatively predictable, like an impending hurricane.

It is really a good idea to have a few goodies and useful items at hand, because you never know....

#294282 - 11/26/19 12:27 AM Re: 'In the office' modified ten essentials [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Dec. 1st, time to go through my office kit.

#294286 - 11/26/19 02:01 PM Re: 'In the office' modified ten essentials [Re: teacher]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
spare set of glasses, toothbrush, chem light in addition to a task LED light, P95 mask, whistle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.