The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#289705 - 06/30/18 02:43 PM Surviving Civil Unrest
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There is an interesting article at: How To Survive The Civil Unrest That's Coming To America
It would be easy to post comments that will drag the topic into a political realm; please temper those demons and keep the topic on preparedness & avoidance, and not on the triggers.

During the 1991 LA riots I ended up with temporary neighbors in the condo next to mine. I was living in a condo in a rather isolated community; a family from LA who knew the owner of the unoccupied condo next to mine (owned as temp residence for the local football team so new players had a place to live while they bought their own), so they moved in to get out of harm’s way; they chose the get-out-of-Dodge option.

#289706 - 06/30/18 03:37 PM Re: Surviving Civil Unrest [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I've been giving a lot of thought to this subject recently. To me, the most obvious is be the grey man. Don't express your political views in any outward way such as talking about them (unless you are in an organized meeting for that purpose such as a gun club), wearing anything that labels you, use any sign on your property or stickers on your car.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289707 - 06/30/18 04:09 PM Re: Surviving Civil Unrest [Re: Russ]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Russ
There is an interesting article at: How To Survive The Civil Unrest That's Coming To America
It would be easy to post comments that will drag the topic into a political realm; please temper those demons and keep the topic on preparedness & avoidance, and not on the triggers.

During the 1991 LA riots I ended up with temporary neighbors in the condo next to mine. I was living in a condo in a rather isolated community; a family from LA who knew the owner of the unoccupied condo next to mine (owned as temp residence for the local football team so new players had a place to live while they bought their own), so they moved in to get out of harm’s way; they chose the get-out-of-Dodge option.

If I remember correctly, several years ago there were a number of threads on this and related topics. It may have been around the time the "Urban Preparedness" section was started---possibly just before. There were excellent suggestions regarding surviving riots, bug outs, bug ins, etc.

I can't manage to find these threads, but if anyone else can and post links, they would be useful to go back to, review and update. Hate to see all that wisdom get lost. . .when it seems so potentially useful again.

#289708 - 06/30/18 06:24 PM Re: Surviving Civil Unrest [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
From a local headline: "Be uncivil......But Don't Go Crazy"

The last time I specifically checked my weaponry was the occasion of the Rodney King riots (early 90's).

We had a mammoth disruption with the Thomas Fire last December. I and many others left in a hurry, but civil order was maintained. Manned barricades in the evac areas were quickly placed. Looters (there were some attempts, probably inevitable) were apprehended and none of us went crazy. In fact, there was a lot of help and mutual support, but that doesn't make the news as readily....

In an emergency, take care of family members and close friends, and then assist the community at large, as bet I can.

#289709 - 06/30/18 06:39 PM Re: Surviving Civil Unrest [Re: Russ]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Maintain a low profile, be prepared to protect what is yours, not just property but family. When people form mobs, they do not behave rationally. Be prepared for irrational behavior. It also provides cover for criminals, be the hard target so they want to go somewhere else. Be aware, but do not enter their awareness if you can help it.

The rest is much like weathering a hurricane, batten the hatches and have what you need for a few days. Communications may still be working, so stay in touch with somebody outside the emergency area.

#289710 - 06/30/18 07:22 PM Re: Surviving Civil Unrest [Re: Russ]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Some riots are predictable and some even scheduled. So it can be avoided to be caught in them.
Berlin has traditional riots on 1st of May.
Some cities in Germany have riots when certain soccer teams play. I try to stay well clear of the arena and the train stations there.

#289712 - 06/30/18 09:21 PM Re: Surviving Civil Unrest [Re: Russ]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
My observations on riots, having been caught up in one unexpectedly, and later as an MP trying to suppress one, is that they are highly intense, but very local, and vary greatly in their intensity over a few hours. A city block or two can make the difference between being in the thick of it, or, nothing happening. So, my primary advice is to suppress curiosity and walk away from where all the commotion is, and if you can't walk away, take shelter somewhere, but get off the street; then only when it is safe, get out.

The worst widespread effect I saw was the near total breakdown of the (then landline) telephone system; it was totally overloaded. This was in the days before cellphones (the late 60's/early 70's). I doubt that our cell phone system is any more robust, perhaps even less so.

Locally, in Baltimore, a short while back, there was an episode of serious civil disturbance. I watched it on TV. Different details, but the above thoughts still apply.

#289722 - 07/02/18 02:08 PM Re: Surviving Civil Unrest [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I may be misquoting, but I remember Mr. Miyagi saying something like "Best block for punch, no be there," in the movie Karate Kid.

My Number One plan for riots is to not be around crowds and to get out of built-up areas as quickly as possible, if conditions appear to be degrading. If that cannot work, my main backup plan is to find the most inconspicuous and most secure place to hide, and wait it out.

#289723 - 07/02/18 03:40 PM Re: Surviving Civil Unrest [Re: Russ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
In today's world of the 24/7 news cycle, social media like Twitter, Facebook, most civil unrest and riots are quickly reported on and can easily be avoided - unless you live in right in the middle of said unrest and riot locations.

In that case, there should still be enough warning to allow one to either prepare to stay and tough it out at your home or workplace or move to another location until it is safe to return. That is, assuming your home or workplace has not been damaged or burned to the ground due to the unrest.

John Lubbock

#289724 - 07/02/18 03:56 PM Re: Surviving Civil Unrest [Re: Russ]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
How about being 'Kettled'?

Kettling

Edited by Ian (07/02/18 04:00 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.