Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#270301 - 06/07/14 07:36 PM CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk
Pete Offline
Veteran

I just got one ... so far very impressed with the design of this thing.

http://yhoo.it/1uBb9Wj

It is a realtively small lightweight tomahawk which can function both as a survival tool and a personal defense weapon. It's about 14-inches long, and reasonable lightweight (1-1/2 pounds). It feels good in the hand, and is not clumsy or bulky.

If you do get one, be aware that the spike on the reverse side of the head can impact your own body during a backswing with the tool. So be careful! they also have a different design variation that has a hammer instead of a spike.

talk to me if you are considering the purchase.

cheers,
Pete

Edited by chaosmagnet (06/07/14 11:31 PM)
Edit Reason: URL shortened for improved moderator sanity

#270304 - 06/07/14 11:33 PM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Pete]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My knowledge of tomahawks is seriously lacking. Is a tool like this usable for splitting wood and other bushcraft activities, or is it primarily a thrown weapon?

#270307 - 06/08/14 01:16 AM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I would not suggest this tomahawk for either of the above activities. it would be fine for small chopping - like kindling. and splitting of small branches into fine kindling. but it is too small, and does not have enough weight, for serious chopping.

in principle it could be thrown. but if you are after a real throwing tomahawk - I suggest that you get one for that purpose.

its value is as a lightweight extraction tool, as a small camp axe, and for close quarters self defense where you keep the weapon in your hand. unlike most tomahawks and axes, it does not feel too heavy to carry. I would have no problem strapping it onto my belt, or tossing it in a daypack. I usually wind up leaving "heavy steel" at home, but this one is light enough that I would carry it for general purpose.

just my $0.02

Pete

#270316 - 06/09/14 04:14 AM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Pete]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It does look like it would be a superb weapon. A tomahawk is really more weapon than tool isn't it?

#270327 - 06/09/14 06:56 PM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Phaedrus]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It does look like it would be a superb weapon. A tomahawk is really more weapon than tool isn't it?

This one is. It's short, light, has a sharpened top edge, and is spiked instead of poled. Something like the larger Woods Chogan T-Hawk or one of the CS pole 'hawks (Trail, Pipe, or Rifleman's) is more of a tool then a weapon.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#270329 - 06/09/14 07:45 PM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

well .. its a good point that the Kanjee will be perceived as a weapon. so if you are carrying it in your hand - better be prepared for the fact that people might see it that way. e.g. if planning to use it as an extrication tool - explain to the folks around U that you are NOT re-enacting "The Last Of The Mohicans". I see the Kanjee as a valuable multi-purpose tool. but I also don't dispute what Mark said ... its a very effective weapon as well.

Pete

#270358 - 06/11/14 09:19 PM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Pete]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
A throwing hawk should probably have a blade without much temper, to discourage shattering on impact. A general purpose hawk would have a harder temper for edge retention. Some hawks have a soft iron head with a steel insert welded at the face, permitting the best of both worlds. but that method has largely disappeared due to the economics of cheap steel, drop forging, and mass-produced cnc blade making. My brother had a skatchet,

a survival tool designed to be useable as a knife, hatchet and hammer, but fitting a branch into the coarsely threaded socket resulted in an implement that was a great danger to the user. I like hawks, made one out of a shingling hatchet, and use it for all sorts of light woodworking applications in the shop. Most photos of old time folks carrying hawks have them tucked under a sash, unsheathed, which seems problematic in a number of ways. Maybe I should wear a sash more often...

#270672 - 06/30/14 03:32 PM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

nursemike ... creative ... pretty smart :-)

Pete

#270673 - 06/30/14 04:36 PM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Pete]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Doe anyone actually know how to fight with a tomahawk?

There are some problems I see with the "fighting tomahawk." It is heavy, and thus slow. It is certainly heavier and slower than a machete/bolo/short sword, which has about the same reach as it does. Even though axes have more chopping power, it only shines if you need to get through armor. A machete is powerful enough to kill. Second, the geometry is tricky. You'd need to know how to grappling with it. Close up, someone can easily grab the haft, whereas you can't grab a machete. So that means you need to know how to fight somebody grabbing on to your tomahawk. The shape of the axe means you can hook with it, but that also means (1) you need to know techniques to make that feature count, and (2) your tomahawk could get caught on something if the chop is not successful. Finally, the tomahawk is not a thrusting weapon. That's a disadvantage when grappling. It's hard to slash or chop when close up. (On the other hand, I wonder, with the mass and geometry, perhaps you can sink the axe into flesh more easily just with the wrist.)

How about throwing the tomahawk? Bad guys who are worth their salt band together. After you discard your primary weapon by throwing it against the first bad guy, what will you use against the other two bad guys? How many tomahawks do you plan to carry?

If I had to choose a weapon, I'd probably not take the tomahawk, no matter how black and "tactical" it is. But that may just be because I never studied the tomahawk. People did use axes for fighting in the Middle Ages, but the fact that Vikings could do it doesn't mean that we can do it also.

#270674 - 07/01/14 02:45 AM Re: CRKT Kanjee Tomahawk [Re: Bingley]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
The reigning mall-ninja authority on tomahawk fighting is lynn thompson, cold steel renaissance man...and lots of native americans, spec ops warriors, and martial arts instructors. Axes are venerable weapons: celt means axe and named a whole culture of pre-armor axe-wielders. It is probably reasonable to throw a hawk, if you are carrying several, similar to knife-throwing logic, and having an axe thrown at you is probably discouraging. One theory of hawk fighting involves having a knife in the other hand, which would overcome some of the weakness of using a hafted weapon. The strengths of the hawk are probably extended reach and increased torque, tho it could be fought using short sword technique. There was a canoe camper guru who habitually carried a light belt hatchet in lieu of a knife, contending that the axe did everything a knife could do, and lots more besides. Tools are just tools, and any tool can become a weapon, and a scheme for fighting it can be devised: I have seen frightful damage wrought upon wayward men with frying pans of hot grease.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.