The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#264781 - 11/03/13 08:15 AM 72 hour kit foods for toddlers
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I've got an interesting problem for BTDT parents. I have twin toddlers. One of which is alarmingly rambunctious. How do I address the following is a bug out scenario?

Containment: They're too big for a pack and play, and without a gated area, it takes two adults to wrangle them.

Food: No molars yet, so adult food choices are somewhat limited. What to pack for them? They,re not picky eaters, but at 900-1000 calories per day per kid I can't just feed them goldfish crackers and Nutrigrain bars.

Sleeping: Not willingly, and I don't want to leave them strapped into a stroller overnight.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#264782 - 11/03/13 12:08 PM Re: 72 hour kit foods for toddlers [Re: Mark_R]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Containment: They're too big for a pack and play, and without a gated area, it takes two adults to wrangle them.

Bring a pressure gate - no guarantees there will be a place to use it though. Perhaps a tablet loaded with appropriate movies and games will slow them down a bit for a little while.

Quote:
Food: No molars yet, so adult food choices are somewhat limited. What to pack for them? They,re not picky eaters, but at 900-1000 calories per day per kid I can't just feed them goldfish crackers and Nutrigrain bars.

For a day or so you could. Cheerios too. Trail mix. Applesauce in those little to-go packets.

Quote:
Sleeping: Not willingly, and I don't want to leave them strapped into a stroller overnight.

Supervised napping -- in other words, bring them into bed with you, one per parent if you can. Otherwise you're most likely strapping them into the stroller overnight.

#264783 - 11/03/13 01:40 PM Re: 72 hour kit foods for toddlers [Re: Mark_R]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
As much as I disliked seeing them at the mall, what about a leash to address the containment problem? Granted it's going to require constant supervision of one adult re: strangulation risk, but it frees the other adult to attend other issues.

Food: Nutella, peanutbutter, canned veggies?

Sleeping: strange environment, strange sensory input from every angle...good luck getting anyone to sleep soundly for any length of time...or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8fbHpttc5A

HEH! All the usual disclaimers!

#264793 - 11/04/13 03:07 AM Re: 72 hour kit foods for toddlers [Re: Mark_R]
CDVXF7 Offline

I've car camped with my kids as early as 3 month old. They are all about 2 years apart. My parents took me camping as young as 6 months and slept in the open with me between them. Some things my wife and I did with our toddlers....

We always took turns taking care of the toddler/s and let them walk/crawl around. Everything takes three times as long to do. It was much much easier with additional parents or adults with us. For bugging out you really need to consider planing to have other adults around. Think tribal, parenting was always shared.

Mini carabiner to "lock" the tent zippers at night. We would set the zippers out of reach.

Used the tent to confine the toddler while napping. Nothing baby unsafe in the tent. Peg the tent down securely with all pegs as a strong enough toddler can push/roll down a freestanding tent from the inside. Often stowed the sleeping bags and left the pads by day because kids have a habit of drooling/peeing/puking or pooping on sleeping bags. Guy lines were only staked out before bed as the kids kept tripping on them. If there was some emergency that truly required both of our hands free we planned to lock the toddler in the tent crying or not. Never had to though.

We considered a Johnny jumper type thing to hang from a tree since I'm adamantly opposed to leashes, but my wife isn't.

Dressed them in bright colors. Considered bells on their shoes but never did it. My parents used bells on my shoes!

Packed lots of baby wipes and used them all day.
Used washable diapers and washed them during the trip.
Washed kids clothes during the trip.
Packed a couple of toys but only 1 or 2. Nature kept them pretty occupied.

As far as food if they were nursing they nursed, but I had stored
formula and bottles in case my wife couldn't nurse. When they could eat some foods they ate the same things we ate, but I had some off the shelf baby food stored as well that way one parent can feed them quickly while the other cooks. Walmart often has baby foods in MRE style pouches. Cut a corner off and squeeze it into their mouth for no utensil feeding. Have your kids taste test all foods you are considering for storage. Some appropriate sweets are good to have when you need to quiet them down when all else fails.

Kids tantrum so I don't know how we could have a stealthy bug out. If security was an issue you need more people with you.
Since you are in SOCAL practice bugging out by camping in Angeles Crest. That way if it gets too ugly you can bug out back home within an hour or two!

#264799 - 11/04/13 07:23 AM Re: 72 hour kit foods for toddlers [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

I haven't tried anything with nuts yet, but they shouldn't have trouble with a paste consistency. Baby food isn't much thinner then peanut butter, and they had no problems with eggs and pancakes for lunch today.

A free standing tent is a definite possability for both sleeping and containment. I saw a lot of Coleman dome and instant set-up tents at Sierra Club car camp, and they're fairly inexpensive.

Tantrums are a bigone conclusion, and earplugs are part of my EDC. Not joking.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#264806 - 11/04/13 04:04 PM Re: 72 hour kit foods for toddlers [Re: Mark_R]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Great topic; I have a 9 month old, and been thinking about it too. I was going to pack 1-2 cans of similar in my BOB, but she's a breast milk baby (though all the frozen milk is going to be trashed if power out for too long frown ) She can do soft stuff like purees, ok with some harder stuff (small chicken, bread, ham, yogurt). I assume your kids are the same?

Then ... go-gurts ( I think they don't need refrigeration), those fruit packet thigies that look like Capri Sun packets, maybe some pita or tortillas? They pack small, can break up easily. Obviously cereal is ok, maybe those breakfast sized little boxes that come 10 to a pack (they still make those?!?). Worst comes to worst, you chew up your food and give it to them (gross, but works for lots of birds).

Containment? Uh ... well, I think you might have to sleep in shifts and just watch them. Tethering is an option, but really, how about trying to pack some of their toys and keep them occupied? Tent is a good idea, especially if you play camping in the yard and get them used to it.

#264811 - 11/04/13 05:35 PM Re: 72 hour kit foods for toddlers [Re: MDinana]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Then ... go-gurts ( I think they don't need refrigeration),

I've never seen one that did NOT need refrigeration.

Quote:
those fruit packet thigies that look like Capri Sun packets, maybe some pita or tortillas? They pack small, can break up easily. Obviously cereal is ok, maybe those breakfast sized little boxes that come 10 to a pack (they still make those?!?). Worst comes to worst, you chew up your food and give it to them (gross, but works for lots of birds).

Yes to all.

Quote:
Containment? Uh ... well, I think you might have to sleep in shifts and just watch them. Tethering is an option, but really, how about trying to pack some of their toys and keep them occupied? Tent is a good idea, especially if you play camping in the yard and get them used to it.

I tried to imagine tethering with my kids when they were toddlers. I had to wipe tears from my eyes and Fresca from my monitor. My oldest would have howled in a way that could curdle the blood in your body and leave you dead on the ground at one hundred yards. My middle would have calmly accepted it until we were out of sight, untied or cut the tether and used it to tie us up in our sleep. My youngest would have turned it into a bungie jump and started selling tickets to other kids.

Sorry for the OT. I'm not saying that tethering is universally unworkable. I completely agree with working to keep them occupied.

#264815 - 11/04/13 09:53 PM Re: 72 hour kit foods for toddlers [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

MDinana, mine are 13 months and are good with anything up to the density of a bagel. They will very happily eat pitas, tortillas, baby yogurt (no refrigeration required) pasta, and most fruit and vegetables. I just need to be carefull about how many I give them. DS will cram the entire portion into his mouth, and DD will shot-put excess food an amazing distance with uncanny accuracy (Why is there ravioli in the cat's food dish?).

I did the bungie jump the first (and last) time I was tethered as a kid. Full speed ahead up to the end of the teather, jerk to a stop, and watch mommy pass overhead. Both kids inherited my unusual height and weight, so I'm reluctant to tie them to anything weighing less then I do.

#264823 - 11/05/13 03:50 AM Re: 72 hour kit foods for toddlers [Re: Mark_R]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Our nine month old is eating more and more solid foods. I've got a bunch of those retort packs of baby and toddler foods specifically for her, as well as some dried pasta, ceral, arrowroots, etc. I also pack dried and ready-to-drink formula, enough for a day in my day pack, and three days worth in her BOB. She's starting to eat more and more of the same foods we do, so that makes it a lot easier. (The bigger challenge I see now is how to cook when I'm on my own with her, without a screamfest ensuing.)

Here's a look at what I typically carry for her, in terms of feed, on a day hike, along with bottle fixings. (Not to mention sharing my food.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupEG2jTy0k

As for containment, we're still using the strolled and car seat, but I'm soon going to pull out the baby backpack, that also works as a highchair. Once our son got motoring, a stage we're just entering with out daughter, we mostly tag-teamed him, letting him roam and explore, or distracting him with toys, etc. We used a tent for sleeping, and secured the zips by simply putting them at the top, out of his easy reach.

I echo MDinana's recommendation to do trial runs in the backyards. It's a great way to get everyone comfortable and familiar. When my son was little, we used to do afternoon story time and naps in the tent in the backyard as long as Mother Nature cooperated. it was fun, great fresh air, and it got him used to sleeping in the tent.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#264824 - 11/05/13 03:52 AM Re: 72 hour kit foods for toddlers [Re: CDVXF7]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Quoting for truth. This is sound advice.

Originally Posted By: CDVXF7
I've car camped with my kids as early as 3 month old. They are all about 2 years apart. My parents took me camping as young as 6 months and slept in the open with me between them. Some things my wife and I did with our toddlers....

We always took turns taking care of the toddler/s and let them walk/crawl around. Everything takes three times as long to do. It was much much easier with additional parents or adults with us. For bugging out you really need to consider planing to have other adults around. Think tribal, parenting was always shared.

Mini carabiner to "lock" the tent zippers at night. We would set the zippers out of reach.

Used the tent to confine the toddler while napping. Nothing baby unsafe in the tent. Peg the tent down securely with all pegs as a strong enough toddler can push/roll down a freestanding tent from the inside. Often stowed the sleeping bags and left the pads by day because kids have a habit of drooling/peeing/puking or pooping on sleeping bags. Guy lines were only staked out before bed as the kids kept tripping on them. If there was some emergency that truly required both of our hands free we planned to lock the toddler in the tent crying or not. Never had to though.

We considered a Johnny jumper type thing to hang from a tree since I'm adamantly opposed to leashes, but my wife isn't.

Dressed them in bright colors. Considered bells on their shoes but never did it. My parents used bells on my shoes!

Packed lots of baby wipes and used them all day.
Used washable diapers and washed them during the trip.
Washed kids clothes during the trip.
Packed a couple of toys but only 1 or 2. Nature kept them pretty occupied.

As far as food if they were nursing they nursed, but I had stored
formula and bottles in case my wife couldn't nurse. When they could eat some foods they ate the same things we ate, but I had some off the shelf baby food stored as well that way one parent can feed them quickly while the other cooks. Walmart often has baby foods in MRE style pouches. Cut a corner off and squeeze it into their mouth for no utensil feeding. Have your kids taste test all foods you are considering for storage. Some appropriate sweets are good to have when you need to quiet them down when all else fails.

Kids tantrum so I don't know how we could have a stealthy bug out. If security was an issue you need more people with you.
Since you are in SOCAL practice bugging out by camping in Angeles Crest. That way if it gets too ugly you can bug out back home within an hour or two!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.