Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#250101 - 08/21/12 09:09 PM Active Shooter...
GoatMan Offline

The following was recently produced by the city of Houston on what to do if you find yourself in an active shooter event. I'll keep my thoughts to myself but thought it was worth sharing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0&feature=player_embedded

#250104 - 08/21/12 10:07 PM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: GoatMan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I'd say it is basically on target....

#250107 - 08/21/12 10:22 PM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: GoatMan]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Make sure you keep your hands in plain sight at all times to minimize your chance of getting shot by responding officers.

#250111 - 08/21/12 10:46 PM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There are two opposing issues here in that if you are trapped inside, you need to hide from the shooter while at the same time...
Quote:
Make sure you keep your hands in plain sight at all times to minimize your chance of getting shot by responding officers.
I don't work in an office with cubical-mates, but if I did I'd try to be like the first group that got out in the video. Some things you discuss ahead of time so that when the time comes you don't talk at all, just get up and go, no fire alarm required, Time to Go.

Good video if for no other reason than prompting discussion.

#250112 - 08/21/12 11:09 PM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: GoatMan]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I could have written that more clearly. If you're moving, keep your hands in plain sight at all times to minimize your chance of getting shot by responding officers. If you're in the "hide" or "fight" modes, obviously the circumstances will dictate what you'll be doing with your hands.

#250139 - 08/22/12 03:31 PM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: chaosmagnet]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Interesting... Not bad for government work.

One more piece of advice: Don't communicate with the media while the incident is ongoing.

My wife and I were listening to the radio as one of these incidents was happening. They reported that someone received a text message from someone inside stating that people were hiding in closets. We both had the same reaction: "I hope he's not listening to the radio!" You can picture him hearing the report and thinking "Right! Better check the closets."

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#250168 - 08/23/12 12:26 AM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: GoatMan]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
During the Moumbi(how is it spelled??) incident, there was a control point in another country listening to the media and some remote repeater type scanners. They were in contact with the shooters and provided information about the targets. In some cases they googled the target from data obtained from their passport or other documents. They used this information to evaluate who to kill.

As rescue attempts were made, they were able to intercept both local radio and media events. The information was provided to the shooters.

It is a complex world we live in.

Nomad

#250181 - 08/23/12 12:35 PM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: GoatMan]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Mumbai in India. This is actually a tactic commonly used by terrorists and insurgents. Most shooting incidents in the U.S. have not involved accomplices outside, but it is something that most SWAT teams consider and plan for. Many just do not have the resources to detect them, locate them or to manage the media effectively.

#250398 - 08/29/12 12:17 AM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: GoatMan]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I saw that a month or two ago. It came out (unfortunately) immediately after the Aurora shooting. IIRC the one thing that the video did not address at all was if you were a legally allowed to carry a firearm and had it on you. Again IIRC, listening to an interview, the producers thought that overall the state of Texas's percentage of legally carrying citizens was to low for them to include that in the film. (shrug shoulders). meh. whatever. Overall the info was decent. Good visuals on what someones thought process should be.

#250442 - 08/30/12 06:19 PM Re: Active Shooter... [Re: comms]
GoatMan Offline

I'm surprised this thread hasn't caused more dialog. It is a relevant topic in today's work place. I thought they did a pretty good job on the clip. I guess the Urban Prep forum doesn't exactly have many readers like the Survival forum which seems to have every topic posted to it, regardless of subject matter.

At any rate, hopefully it helps someone. It was sent to me by our local office of emergency management.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.