Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#230949 - 08/29/11 04:54 PM Knives in Disney World?
Mack Offline
Stranger

I'm heading to Disney World in September. Does anyone know if there are any regulations there against carrying knives? I was planning on carrying my Izula and a folding knife (pretty much like in town).
Thanks.

#230951 - 08/29/11 05:36 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mack]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Welcome aboard!

The latest I've read is that they do inspect bags, but don't send visitors through a magnetometer. Don't clip anything where it can be seen. My understanding is that there are no signs forbidding knives but that if security sees one they'll ask you to bring it back to your vehicle.

Obviously whatever you carry needs to be legal in that jurisdiction.

#230952 - 08/29/11 05:42 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mack]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The good thing about places like Disney is that you can easily get an anvil that materializes out of thin air. Bring your own pans and pots, though. The ones there tend to take on the shape of any head you hit with them. DB

#230954 - 08/29/11 05:56 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mack]
Bill_G Offline
Journeyman

They have a no weapons policy. If they see/sense it, they will ask you to remove it from the park, or may let you store it with security. I would leave the Izula where you're staying and take a small folder in the pocket (don't use a clip) you carry your keys/etc, so it doesn't show. And keep it there inside the park.

#230961 - 08/29/11 06:30 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mack]
sodak Offline
Addict

I've always had a SAK climber with no problems, but I don't go waving it around, either.

You can also decline the fingerprint scanner, as long as you have a govt. id such as a driver's liscense.

#230967 - 08/29/11 07:35 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I've never even questioned bringing my normal daily carry stuff into a theme park or anywhere else. I just walk right on in as normal. Because there is nothing "abnormal" about anything I carry. The exception is if they have a sign posted disallowing concealed firearms (as they are required to here in Colorado, if they wish to prohibit them). Then I walk away and give my business to somebody else. I can't remember the last time I had to walk away from any place. There are very few places that prohibit firearms around here. Knives? I've never seen them prohibited anywhere. And here in Colorado nothing is a "knife" unless its blade is 3-1/2" or longer. My pocket knife is not that, so technically I guess it's just a piece of steel that few would think to ban.

#230996 - 08/30/11 12:45 AM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mack]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I was at Disneyland last November and they check backpacks going in. It is nowhere near TSA level. They just ask you to open it. I didn't have to do a thumb scan.

As I have mentioned on here many times, I carry a backpack every time I leave the house and I had my entire EDC kit in my pack each day I went in, including a RSK Mk1, Leatherman, Swiss steel, zippo and mini bic. (Items they might have problems with, IDK if a lighter is all that big a deal)

I didn't hide anything but I didn't offer anything while being fully compliant with instructions. They didn't ask if I had any sharps. Had they said I couldn't bring it in, I'd have taken back to the room.

#231032 - 08/30/11 11:15 AM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mack]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
Once at security they noticed the clip in my pocket and called me out, but then let me go in anyway. they don't scan or pat down, so you are cool if you just keep it in your pocket. I know this for certain I've been more than 10 times in the last 10 years!

#231105 - 08/30/11 10:22 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mack]
Mack Offline
Stranger

Thanks for the advice and replies all. I guess I'm not used to being without a knife (usually have at least 2 on me for EDC) and was concerned. Sounds like I should be fine with at least my folder (IWB) and possibly a small SAK.

#231109 - 08/30/11 11:34 PM Re: Knives in Disney World? [Re: Mack]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Disney will not search your person, only bags and backpacks. They usually don't have a problem with knives 5 inches or under if not seen. The main thing is do not let them see out in the open you are carrying a knife. They may ask you to either put it in your pocket or take it to your car. If you have your neck knife on you and you go on a coaster, just make sure it doesn't come out. And do not under any circumstances get caught with a gun in the park (even if you have a Fla. Concealed permit or even it you are a undercover LEO,FBI or what have you. Disney security has a direct com with Orange County SO and they have a office on property at all locations.

Their security is like a parrot in a coal mine, all they are suppose to ask you politely and if you do not cooperate then they let the Orange County Sheriff take over. There is a lot of Sheriffs that walk the park dressed as cast members or tourist. If the security gives you a hard time you can report them and they will get into trouble, they will not mess with you as long as they do not see anything.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.