The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#230262 - 08/22/11 05:31 PM Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

zombies?

Might be useful for other purposes as well...

#230265 - 08/22/11 06:04 PM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: TeacherRO]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
It is so nouveau to cloak legitimate concerns under a popular setting like zombies. Its too bad that such good info will be summarily dismissed based on the heading.

#230283 - 08/22/11 09:28 PM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Anything that makes people think about "what if" is a good thing. If a "zombie apocalypse" gets people thinking about being prepared, so much the better.

Looking at a possible hurricane this weekend. I'm amazed at the people running getting stuff they already should have. Maybe they will learn.

#230285 - 08/22/11 10:11 PM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: JBMat]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I should have joined a virtual survival exercise that involves zombies then maybe some would take an educational game more seriously.

Jeanette Isabelle

#230325 - 08/23/11 08:37 AM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: TeacherRO]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Any freshman level class in marketing will tell you that "Top Ten" lists are really about driving traffic and sales. Just take a glance at the magazine covers at the grocery counter in any given month for confirmation of this. It's also a ploy to generate an emotional response in the reader, since top ten lists always leave out something... Why is number 11 so insignificant that it is ignored?

Using the context of zombies is a furtherance of this theme of driving traffic and it also points up the insecurities of the authors, who are obviously afraid to address the topic head on. For instance, if they do a list of top ten software titles of 2011, they won't include zombies in the title of the article. The authors don't feel the need because there is no insecurity surrounding the publishing of a new software list.

Beyond that, the article only briefly delves into the meat of the subject matter in typical 4th grade level magazine style.

Ignore all top ten lists. They will just dumb you down and make you a zombie smile

#230326 - 08/23/11 10:42 AM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
I should have joined a virtual survival exercise that involves zombies then maybe some would take an educational game more seriously.

Yes - if the scenario is too much like the world as we know it then people start making all those irritating "you can't do that, it violates basic physic" kind of comments. Toss in a few zombies or relocate to a different planet in a galaxy far, far away and you can define the rules as you like.

#230330 - 08/23/11 12:31 PM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Yes - if the scenario is too much like the world as we know it then people start making all those irritating "you can't do that, it violates basic physic" kind of comments. Toss in a few zombies or relocate to a different planet in a galaxy far, far away and you can define the rules as you like.

People here seem to be okay with zombies but not other scenarios, which is why I said I should have joined one that involves zombies.

Jeanette Isabelle

#230338 - 08/23/11 05:01 PM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: TeacherRO]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I don't worry about zombies because I have more than enough problems in real life, but one thing I've never seen about Z-Prep is how preparing for zombies DIFFERS from most other preps.

Mind you, I haven't delved into it at all, and ETS is the only place I've been that mentions it -- it isn't that I've actually been LOOKING for the info.

So, what do you need that is extra for dealing with zombies? Are zombies moist and icky, or are they kind of dry so a good flamethrower would take care of most of them? How about a walk-in solar oven?

Sue

#230350 - 08/23/11 05:52 PM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
The only differences from "real prep" and "z-prep" is in z-prep you have to be ready to cut/shoot off heads at any time.

Outrunning a zombie is easy, unless you are of the Zombieland persuasion, where zombies could run. Mainly they shamble. Someitmes they moan.

Zombies are moist, but don't like fire. That's in the classic Night of the Living Dead.

If you go by the show Walking Dead, they can be fooled by smelling like them and shambling around. Yeah, I want to smell like decay.

Pretty much, add a shotgun and some slugs, as well as a machete to your BoB.

And don't get bitten or it's pew pew for you.

#230352 - 08/23/11 05:58 PM Re: Top 10 Survival Tricks for the Zombie Apocalypse [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.