Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#226490 - 06/23/11 01:41 PM Swarm of emergencies
Chisel Offline
Veteran

We prepare for big ones , but how about a swarm of small ones all in one wrong day !

It has happened to me a few times now. sick

Starts with some call, jump to car , solve the problem, but two problems arise meanwhile and a phone call comes from family about something while colleague is waiting for some report, and you finally discover while driving your son to his evening course that gauges of BOTH gas tanks on the truck are indicating south. I was just too distracted by the events to notice gas being depleted.

An earlier one I had a flat for the x-th time and was mad about the type of wheels on the truck that do not take tubless tires ... I had to leave what I was doing and stop at some shop to change the wheels and install tubless. Thus adding another task/distraction costing some time & cash, while I was late for another dozen TO-DOs , not to mention going back to office !!

The worrying part is that no alarm siren were heard at some point to pack the BOB or extra emergency whatever. It was not a volcanoe eruption or such . It was seen as 'normal day' and things unfolded in an energy/cash/time sucking black hole. And the swarm of precipitatining TO-DO's, fatigue, lack of cash, work their way to put you in a tight spot .... you want to pull your hair.

I have tried to be prepared for such a day, but do not seem to have suceeded. Sometimes it unfloded when I didn't even have my EDC(?) bag. I had my wallet OK, but not the bag where I keep "other" stuff.

That is why I have added some emergency stuff in my normal work bag. Stuff like emergency cash , gum, medication pouch .. etc. But still, it is more worrying to me than any "BIG ONE" that might happen.

Has anything like it happened to you sometimes?
Any gems of wisdom you have gained afterwards ?

Edit to add :

First thing .. CALM DOWN.
It won't get better when you are pulling your hair.

Second. Take notes. Really !
I have written some notes in some of those bad days, and used them to add necessary stuff in my EDC ( like gum !! ) when I thought it helpful. Gum was in my seconday ( flat ) wallet, and yesterday I was 100% glad I had it even when both EDC bag and work bag were not with me!!.

Any more ?

Edited by Chisel (06/23/11 01:50 PM)

#226494 - 06/23/11 02:33 PM Re: Swarm of emergencies [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Here is my methodology.

* STOP: Stop, think, observe and plan.

* Remain calm.

* Take notes.

* Get help. Delegate whatever you can.

* Prioritize.

* Wherever possible, work on a single thing at a time.

* Fly the plane first. In other words, some tasks require your full attention and you should not allow your attention to wander when performing those tasks.

#226499 - 06/23/11 03:45 PM Re: Swarm of emergencies [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

One of the problems with chaotic days like this is the lightning speed with which events unfold. They make you (wrongly) decide to lighten up and drop some weight. You leave your bag somewhere because it is a city environment and for the last x-days/weeks you didn't have to use your firestarter, or even the multitool. Why lug it around ? You would return later to pick it up. Right?

When your bag is a few miles away from you, it is the time that you need some of its contents like duct tape or extra pen.

#226501 - 06/23/11 04:09 PM Re: Swarm of emergencies [Re: Chisel]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You can't really plan for days like that -- there are too many wild cards.

Just stop and prioritize as best you can.

If your kids are able, have them do some of the stuff. It's good experience for later in their lives.

Quote:
The worrying part is that no alarm siren were heard at some point to pack the BOB or extra emergency whatever. It was not a volcanoe eruption or such .

BE GLAD! It doesn't sound like you could have fit it in!

Sue

#226511 - 06/23/11 06:49 PM Re: Swarm of emergencies [Re: Chisel]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I'd change my last name from Murphy to something else...kidding you.

#226512 - 06/23/11 07:41 PM Re: Swarm of emergencies [Re: Chisel]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
If one thing is giving you fits, change it. Sounds like you did that with the truck tires.

Make it a routine to always gas up on a certain day of the week. Regardless of what the gauge says, get gas on Tuesday morning before work. Or in your case, gauges.

The to-dos - how many can simply be blown off and not much happen? Sometimes people get disappointed in what you can't do. Figure what is the bigger problem, the most important of them all, and do that. Then work down your list. If something doesn't get accomplished, such is life. You prioritized and did what you could.

#226517 - 06/23/11 08:29 PM Re: Swarm of emergencies [Re: Chisel]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

yep, I tell my wife every pay day to top off the tank weather it needs it or not. She's went a month and a half without getting gas.

#226523 - 06/23/11 10:37 PM Re: Swarm of emergencies [Re: Chisel]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Chisel

Has anything like it happened to you sometimes?
Any gems of wisdom you have gained afterwards ?

Yes, I've had similar days, but I won't claim to have gained any wisdom...

Apparently, you have:

First thing .. CALM DOWN.
It won't get better when you are pulling your hair.

Always sound advice.

Second. Take notes. Really !
I have written some notes in some of those bad days, and used them to add necessary stuff in my EDC ( like gum !! ) when I thought it helpful. Gum was in my seconday ( flat ) wallet, and yesterday I was 100% glad I had it even when both EDC bag and work bag were not with me!!.

This is exactly why I've adopted Nomad's "notebook protocol" (see thread here) on a daily basis: Important stuff on the front, trivial scratch notes and details on the back. Pull off one corner as you fill the pages - that makes it easier to open on the freshest page.

It has helped me getting more organized, remember all those trivial small stuff I've promised my DW to look into and keep things running smoothly. I've got a fairly good memory, but it is of little use when I'm stressed or fatigued.

I consider this routine no less than an important survival strategy. Equally important, it keeps things running smoothly and less stressful in my daily life. And it is incredible useful for those extra challenging days - like the one that inspired your original post.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (06/23/11 10:38 PM)

#226526 - 06/23/11 11:21 PM Re: Swarm of emergencies [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
HATE those domino days! All the little things will get you just more often than the big one.

Harmless speaks with wis om, notes notes and more notes. Add that to Chisel's excellent advice to stick to your routines as much as possible, and you're further ahead than most.

Car breaks down on the way to work? Take your EDC and GHB. Gas tank running low but you're running late for work? Fill it up. Etc. When this go wrong it may just be the start. Try to nip it in the bud and do the best you can to keep up.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226541 - 06/24/11 02:37 AM Re: Swarm of emergencies [Re: Chisel]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Not all of the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" deserve to be treated as emergencies. When everyday stuff starts to seen overwhelming, consider looking the other way through those binoculars and shrink those mountains back to molehills.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 226 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.