Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#216542 - 02/06/11 04:20 PM gas shutoff tools...
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Anyone care to share some shutoff tool reviews? I'm not a huge fan of uni-taskers but uni or multi reviews are most welcome here.

#216544 - 02/06/11 07:02 PM Re: gas shutoff tools... [Re: yeti]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

For inclusion in a kit I really don't find much use for a single-purpose gas-shutoff tool. Generally a largish Crescent wrench (8" or better), monkey wrench (recently found out you can still buy those), a pair of Channellocks (8-12"), even a large pair of pliers, like Vise-Grips (8" is as small as I would consider) will often work if the valve isn't bound up.

The advantage of any of those is they are general use tools that can earn their keep, and the effort use to schlep them around, by doing many other jobs. Crescents wrenches are good on a wide variety of nuts and bolts. Large Channellocks do plumbing, grip a huge variety of objects very well, and pull nails. A pair of Vice-Grips is a clamp, hand vise, pipe wrench, wire cutter, etcetera.

If you are setting up a tool to be kept at or very near the gas valve, preferably chained to it, a purpose made tool makes a lot of sense. I've seen pieces of metal bar stock with a rectangular hole cut in one end that are good. Simple enough to make if your handy. The advantage there is that, unlike a Crescent wrench, which might be used anywhere, the bar stock with a rectangular hole is pretty much a one-trick pony. It is made to fit that valve and little else. It is not likely to be lifted by your no-count brother to work on his jalopy. Chaining it to the valve also helps eliminate wandering.

Most of the tools sold as "gas-cutoff" tools are catering to the disaster preparedness crowd are, IMHO, too specialized to earn their keep in a survival kit but, paradoxically, to multi-purpose to chain to, or hang by, the gas valve and expect to stay there. Most are also overpriced.

#216546 - 02/06/11 07:46 PM Re: gas shutoff tools... [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My gas shut off tool is a simple bracket welded to a rod with a T-handle. It is so simple it probably would not be complex enough for a middle school metal shop project. Of course, there probably is a titanium, diamond studded, folding version that also serves as an ice axe. Mine lives under the bed. I think it came with the house.

If I didn't use it, I could probably handle the task with a pair of vice grips.

#216548 - 02/06/11 08:21 PM Re: gas shutoff tools... [Re: Art_in_FL]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I agree. Gas shutoff tools are somewhat specialized, in that, they aren't typically very good at anything besides shutting of gas lines.

This is fine if you are going to leave the tool by the meter or whatever, but if I'm looking for something to throw in a FEMA kit/Bug-Out bag (where weight is somewhat precious) I want a tool that can do more. A good pair of Vice-Grips or tongue-and-groove Channellocks can do a lot more for the same basic weight.

With that in mind, the one tool I've found that I actually somewhat like is Channellocks 6-in-1 rescue tool. It essentially combines a pair of channellock lineman's pliers with a gas-shutoff notch, a glass breaker pin, and a spanner wrench for large hoses (like those used by firemen or used on large water pumps). A regular pair of Lineman's pliers is quite useful and the additions channel lock has made don't hurt the usefulness of the original tool. At the same time, they do make it somewhat more capable. It's double the cost of a similar pair of Lineman's pliers, but I figure it's worth it if you are already carrying a pair of Lineman's.

#216551 - 02/06/11 08:48 PM Re: gas shutoff tools... [Re: Paul810]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
This http://www.emergencysuppliesblog.com/ear...-shut-off-tool/ is the one that was issued to me when I joined my local CERT.

No affiliation with the website.

#216557 - 02/06/11 10:23 PM Re: gas shutoff tools... [Re: chaosmagnet]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
This http://www.emergencysuppliesblog.com/ear...-shut-off-tool/ is the one that was issued to me when I joined my local CERT.

Of those I've seen that one looks to be one of the better ones and, for less than $13 on Amazon, it isn't priced out of the market. Not a bad choice IMHO.

But, here again, I just happen to have dropped into my local home Depot a few hours ago, a Husky brand, nothing fancy but solid, generic 10" crescent wrench was selling for about $12. Husky brand pumphouse pliers, similar to Channellocks, were going for about the same price.

Given the down-the-hole aspect of most water shut-offs the water end of the 4-in-1 may be easier to use.

#216560 - 02/06/11 11:36 PM Re: gas shutoff tools... [Re: yeti]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
If you're going to chain one to the actual valve itself PLEASE consider getting a one-way tool. There is a patent out there for one, but I could not easily find one (if you know someone with a torch, you can probably fix this easily). It appears there are also values that will make a 1/4 turn to off, and then require a special tool to open them. These would help prevent someone trying to be "helpful" from turning on your gas supply before it is properly inspected and for pilot lights to be properly lit.

#216566 - 02/07/11 12:52 AM Re: gas shutoff tools... [Re: ki4buc]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ki4buc
These would help prevent someone trying to be "helpful" from turning on your gas supply before it is properly inspected and for pilot lights to be properly lit.

First I've heard anything about that. Is that really a problem?

#216568 - 02/07/11 01:09 AM Re: gas shutoff tools... [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It can be in earthquake country. I don't think pilot lights would be much of a problem; all the ones I have ever seen (and I have a very old furnace) require manual manipulation to start the gas flow and will shut off shortly after the pilot light goes out - the old bimetal strip technology.

#216626 - 02/07/11 11:15 PM Re: gas shutoff tools... [Re: Art_in_FL]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
First I've heard anything about that. Is that really a problem?

Not that I've really heard, but, humanity does not surprise me anymore. Plus, a lot of people are ignorant (not saying stupid), because of where they lived, their experience, etc. So, better to have another point to stop the chain of events.

Not a guarantee, but, maybe it'll be too much trouble for them to "help you out".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.