The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#206593 - 08/22/10 01:47 PM Jerry can's and you
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I know many of us have discussed caching fuel and water. But how about having to transport it?

I recently bought 2 5-gal jerry cans and suddenly find that there's no easy way to secure them in my truck. Yeah, I could probably lash them to my truck rails, but that's a bit fugly, and not real conducive to on/off again.

Looking around the web, it appears that prices for mounts range from $25 (http://safetycentral.com/metjercanmou.html) to >$100 (http://www.adventuretrailers.com/fuel.html).

Has anyone found decent mounting points at a price that won't kill the wallet? I'm inclined to go with the first, figuring they'll be secure in my truck bed, but wanted some other options before I buy.

#206603 - 08/22/10 06:10 PM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: MDinana]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Jerry cans - what are you mounting it to? There are lots of finds on Google, but some are fairly specific on what they're to be mounted on.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12202_01.htm

http://www.shadow-line.co.za/products_djerry.htm

Searching for
jerry can mounting brackets
gave lots of hits.

Edited by philip (08/22/10 06:11 PM)

#206608 - 08/22/10 07:34 PM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: MDinana]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
You might consider strapping bands which could be attached to pick-up box in several ways. Easily shaped to conform to jerry can. Inexpensive. Or eye-bolts, strategically installed around top-perimeter of pickup bed to provide convenient attachment points. Or simple 1/2-in plywood box(es), with just bottom and sides (no top), custom-sized to house two or four jerry cans, with box sides tall enough to prevent tip-over. Filled-weight, coupled with tall enough sides, should be enough to keep secure.

#206612 - 08/22/10 09:27 PM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: xbanker]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I've carried them on the back of my jeep rack, the back seat area of my jeep where I had a metal rack, on my atv, in my pickup bed. I've used ratchet straps, ropes, bungees, etc, depending on the situation. If you want to spend more $ you can buy fancy mounts too smile

In the truck lined up behind the cab, or the tailgate, then strapped down to the sides works great.

#206613 - 08/22/10 09:28 PM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: xbanker]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I think something like the safetycentral.com offering would be the easiest.

For my Jeep, I bought some perforated angle-iron, (see: http://www.mcmaster.com/#angle-iron/=8ipcms ) and after cutting out the inside of the corners with a hacksaw, bent it into shape in the outline of a jerry can to form the bottom of a mount.

I secured the angle-iron to the bed with grade-5 bolts and used washers as spacers so I could pass a strap underneath. I wanted to carry 2 cans on a side so this made economic sense for me and is less obnoxious when the jerry cans aren't needed. The cans are very secure in this mount.

I have pics of this but I've never posted any to this site and can't quickly figure out how to do it without posting the things elsewhere on the web. If you're interested, zip me a PM and I can email them to you.

#206617 - 08/22/10 10:43 PM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: Yuccahead]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks guys for the ideas. For some reason, plywood never occured to me. The L-brackets have, but debating if they're sturdy enough.

I plan on mounting to the inside of the pick-up bed. For some reason, Toyota has this plastic (yeah, I know, resin-impregnated something-or-other) truck bed. It also has a rail system along the upper edge, and I haven't decided if I'll drill into the bed, or utilize the railing.

And, btw, I've google'd quite a bit - still not finding the selection I had expected - maybe my expectations are too high.

#206627 - 08/23/10 04:14 AM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: MDinana]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I have an SR5 Tacoma with the same situ.you described.I went to Home De Pew,Bought 1 length of Shallow Strut Bar-(Electrical Dept.),& 2-3/8" Quik-Links-(Hardware Dept.).Cut the strut bar,slightly shorter to the width of the bed,actually from Anchor to Anchor,then used the Quik-links to secure the bar to the anchor,at each end,I then cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit beneath the JerryCan,(So as to avoid any mishaps conducive to the build-up of Static Electricity)Used Velcro to secure the plywood to the bedliner,Done!The Strut bar allows you to Now carry,Your hearts desire of whatever!Toyota trucks are Poop for tie-off points,Not anymore with this $20 system!I used 1 ratchet strap to secure the JerryCan!Good Luck!

#206629 - 08/23/10 05:43 AM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: Richlacal]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sounds like you need some eyes and/or cleats and a hank of light line to lash the cans in place. You can't have too many lash points.

#206631 - 08/23/10 08:38 AM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: Art_in_FL]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Art, that's part of the problem. The Tacoma's bed rail has only 5 (I think) spots where their proprietary cleats will securely fasten. The rail itself runs the length of the bed, however.

Richlacal, I'll have to swing by Home Depot today and eyeball those parts. Thanks.

#206653 - 08/23/10 09:18 PM Re: Jerry can's and you [Re: MDinana]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
MDinana, The website on my Signatures has mounting rackets. I dont know if they are the cheapest, but they are a possibility. Just click on the Jerry cans and nozzles link to the left.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.