The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#190911 - 12/15/09 05:00 PM Improvised storm windows and insulation
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
As the major surprise storm rages it has cracked a window or two and, as you are now many days without utilities, it is getting colder where you are bugging in. You decide you must improvise something like storm windows, reinforce the windows that have been cracked so they do not fail, and further insulate all the windows.

Going to the home supply store is out, you start looking around your place, and do what?

Edited by dweste (12/15/09 05:01 PM)

#190931 - 12/15/09 07:12 PM Re: Improvised storm windows and insulation [Re: dweste]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Cardboard. And plastic sheeting. I live an apt that had one window poorly sealed. As soon as the weather turns, I put up some cardboard I had trimmed to fit, put that over the window, then seal it all with plastic taped to the sill. The window faces my neighbors fence, so I dont really mind losing that view.
The rest of the windows get just the plain old plastic sheeting treatment.
Taught & clear are the keys-the idea is to minimize air movement between the glass & the plastic, and the clarity allows the sun to still come through. I try to avoid turning the heat on as much as I can, and have already caved a few times this year...this helps with the heating bill though!

#190933 - 12/15/09 07:27 PM Re: Improvised storm windows and insulation [Re: oldsoldier]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Get some plywood, and cover it on the outside.
Get some insulation and cover it on the inside.
Put a layer of reflectix on the inside over the insulation.

All on hand.

Oh, and heavy plastic sheets are good, I have some 20'x100' in the basement from concrete work leftover too, or tar-paper. If you want to keep something onhand cheap and small the painting plastic is affordable, small, and can close up a window decent.

Edited by Todd W (12/15/09 07:30 PM)

#190935 - 12/15/09 07:32 PM Re: Improvised storm windows and insulation [Re: oldsoldier]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
Cardboard. And plastic sheeting. I live an apt that had one window poorly sealed. As soon as the weather turns, I put up some cardboard I had trimmed to fit, put that over the window, then seal it all with plastic taped to the sill. The window faces my neighbors fence, so I dont really mind losing that view.
The rest of the windows get just the plain old plastic sheeting treatment.
Taught & clear are the keys-the idea is to minimize air movement between the glass & the plastic, and the clarity allows the sun to still come through. I try to avoid turning the heat on as much as I can, and have already caved a few times this year...this helps with the heating bill though!

Get some reflectix to go behind your blinds so you can't see them, but on the inside side of your other coverings. This stuff works pretty good, all the RVers swear by it. It's very affordable.

In my old apartment we used cardboard against the windows, and then blackout shades for blinds. Worked good.

#190955 - 12/15/09 10:56 PM Re: Improvised storm windows and insulation [Re: Todd W]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you've got some gorilla tape, dry the glass and tape the crack. Even cracked, it's still a barrier.

The large-bubble bubblepak works quite well taped to the inside of the glass where you want/need light. But that's here in a relatively mild winter area. For you poor souls in the really cold ares, maybe stack straw bales on the inside of all exterior walls... ;-)

Sue

#191112 - 12/17/09 08:35 AM Re: Improvised storm windows and insulation [Re: Susan]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Going to get something outside of what is already at your place is out; you are limited to using what is on hand.

Thinking about what is in your home, garage, etcetera, what would you do?

#191114 - 12/17/09 10:49 AM Re: Improvised storm windows and insulation [Re: dweste]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

ducktape and nails,
trash bags and closet doors,
spare mattress, airbed, shower curtains
patio furniture, grill cover, tents

waterproof some bedsheets with leftover paint (have glossy kitchen/bath kind, and living room latex)

but realistically it would never get to that

#191124 - 12/17/09 02:11 PM Re: Improvised storm windows and insulation [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

harvest screws, nails, paneling, and drywall from interior walls
ceiling tiles
inflate those vacuum storage bags
newspaper
wallpaper
furniture cushions
pillows
dog or cat bed
stacked paper goods, towels, TP, boxes of tissue
contact shelf paper
bulletin and white boards
wall hangings
pictures / photos in frames
glue
expanding foam insulation

#191126 - 12/17/09 02:20 PM Re: Improvised storm windows and insulation [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Work on the outside. Tack up tarps and fill with snow,leaf litter, potting soil, dog poop, or what have you.

Restrict activities to a well insulated inner room.

Wear more clothes. There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing (from my brother in Minnesota, who survives every winter and loves it). My available clothing has taken me to -30 F comfortably.

#191147 - 12/17/09 06:00 PM Re: Improvised storm windows and insulation [Re: dweste]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dweste
harvest screws, nails, paneling, and drywall from interior walls
ceiling tiles
inflate those vacuum storage bags
newspaper
wallpaper
furniture cushions
pillows
dog or cat bed
stacked paper goods, towels, TP, boxes of tissue
contact shelf paper
bulletin and white boards
wall hangings
pictures / photos in frames
glue
expanding foam insulation

Newspaper is a great idea! And most people have that on hand too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.