Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#297838 - 12/22/20 07:47 AM Disposal Issues
Tin Offline
Stranger

Hi everyone. I'm new, (first post!) So I'm not sure if this is the appropriate area to ask this. Like many i had some preps and when Corona came knocking I got more. I live on an apartment complex and during shelter in place periods it was a comfort to have supplies they do take up a lot of space. It occured to me that if the situation got really bad that that throwing out empty mountain house cans even in black bags could eventually lead a hoard to my door. Can anyone offer advice on disposal? Thank you.

#297839 - 12/22/20 07:56 AM Re: Disposal Issues [Re: Tin]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Welcome, Tin! Personally I wouldn't worry about that but I guess if things got bad enough it could be an issue. To start you'd probably want to heat & eat your food by a window so the food aroma didn't waft down the hallways. The best bet would be to clean the empty packages as well as you can (depending on if there's still running water) and shred the packages into thin strips (a shredder would be ideal). Maybe put the shreds/confetti into zip lock bags and stuff them into black garbage bags. Dump them in the dumpster as inconspicuously as possible (eg middle of the night, early in the AM, etc).

It's good to have you here at ETS! I hope you stick around to learn and share.

#297840 - 12/22/20 08:00 AM Re: Disposal Issues [Re: Tin]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
If the water doesn´t run that means toilet doesn´t flush either and you have "do the #2" in a plastic bag for example. Those tins might be used to keep the #2 bag until you dispose of it outside.

Edited by Herman30 (12/22/20 08:02 AM)

#297841 - 12/22/20 08:02 AM Re: Disposal Issues [Re: Tin]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

If you had a place to store them full, then you have a place to store them empty. Especially when flattened.

Not sure how your garbage collection system works, but in apartment buildings, you generally can't see whose apartment it came from right?

#297843 - 12/22/20 03:36 PM Re: Disposal Issues [Re: Tjin]
Tin Offline
Stranger

Ty. My concern with keeping them us that they would attract vermin

#297844 - 12/22/20 03:40 PM Re: Disposal Issues [Re: Herman30]
Tin Offline
Stranger

Yes i have human waste disposal planned out. Bottles bags double doodie bags and bucket toilet. I do have as much water stored as possible. But apartments never have enough room. Ty for your advice.

#297845 - 12/22/20 03:45 PM Re: Disposal Issues [Re: Phaedrus]
Tin Offline
Stranger

Thank you for the welcome. Great advice. Im in ground level apartments there. 4 per strip. Open lot with one dumpster. I assume in a bad situation that the overflow we experiened at it would be nothing compared if they stopped emptying it. Ive searched youtube and have never found anyone addressing this subject.

#297846 - 12/22/20 04:30 PM Re: Disposal Issues [Re: Tin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Howdy, Tin. Yep, OPSEC is important. There's already been some great suggestions for disposing the cans in this thread without drawing attention. Maybe somewhat risky...cut them into "hobo stoves" and leave them around for people to find for use as an emergency cookstove?

There are a lot of ways to repurpose the cans for survival but with your storage space they may still be problematic. https://www.survivopedia.com/10-tin-can-projects-that-can-save-your-life-one-day/
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#297847 - 12/22/20 06:50 PM Re: Disposal Issues [Re: Tin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
We are talking bout a freeze dried product, correct? My MH FD items are the usual backpacking pouches, and I understand the #10 cans have the chow loose in the can. If you want individual servings, you scoop out and measure. At the end of that process, there would be little or nothing to attract vermin, even the human kind. At most a few dry dusty particles....

Blast's recycling into stoves or other items would make a lot of sense. Empty tin cans are supremely useful in all sots of ways.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much, if at all, that desperate scavengers would find MH discards in a communal trash bin, make a determination that someone in the unit must be very well prepared, and commence searching and raiding. If the situation is bad enough, they will be raiding anyway.

I do keep some MH stuff around. It is great if you will be backpacking or climbing in adequately watered places, but my stash of emergency food is based on ordinary canned foods, many of which cna be consumed right out of the can. They are essentially MREs, uncamouflaged. heated up, they are decent, basically normal, non SHTF chow. And no additional water is needed!

#297865 - 12/27/20 01:05 AM Re: Disposal Issues [Re: hikermor]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Welcome,
As regards Mountain house or similar doomfoods, I agree that if you had the space to store the full cans, then this same space may be used to store the empty cans.
Doomfood is a freeze dried granular product, and the empty cans should not contain any residue that is liable to attract vermin.
Mine have a reuseable push fit plastic lid, intended to keep the contents of a part used can fresh for some days. Use these lids to seal up the empty cans as a second line of defence against vermin.

If things got really bad it would be most unwise to discard ANY food packaging where it could attract unwelcome attention.
This applies to other supplies also, spent batteries, empty gas cartridges, boxes that contained candles, empty kerosene containers and the like should not be discarded in any way that could attract attention.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.