The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#258889 - 04/11/13 07:29 PM Brain dead when having to call 911
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I had a to call 911 today to report a motorcycle accident. A hexagenarian on a HD clipped a car and scattered himself and his bike across about 30-40 feet of pavement. It's not the first time I've had to call 911 (previous incident involved idiot neighbors and illegal fireworks), but I completely blanked on the street name when I was asked the location of the accident.

It is something that we should take into account when planning for emergencies. When the stress is on, you can expect to get dumb.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#258892 - 04/11/13 07:45 PM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: Mark_R]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I bet it happens more often than you'd think.

Once upon a time, I used to be an Athletic Trainer, and was responsible for emergency care of a few travelling football and hockey teams. I used to have info cards for each location we played and stayed at, including address, major intersection, and a map of the location and building/field floor plan. It really helps to have the details written down, especially if you might have to ask someone else to call 911.

I guess with cell phones these days you could have all that info at your finger tips, but it takes time to find it. Of course, you're not going to walk around with hard copies of that info for every location you'll ever be in or pass through, but situation awareness would help. It's really easy to loose track of exactly where you are sometimes, and even if you don't, recalling that info in a crisis can be a challenge.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#258893 - 04/11/13 07:47 PM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: Mark_R]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
it helps to have a GPS to consult..

#258930 - 04/12/13 05:04 AM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
... He instantly recognized his house. His wife (Older than him. Both in their 90's) was there with a deputy about to go look.

Good job.

#258931 - 04/12/13 05:09 AM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: Mark_R]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm not too bad when driving. But I am at my worst when I am a passenger in a vehicle. Especially when someone capable is driving and they know the local terrain. I really, really have to focus on key routes and turns instead of scenery; and even then I don't know how effective my trail of mental breadcrumbs would be. It's actually kind of embarrassing.

#258938 - 04/12/13 09:32 AM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: Mark_R]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Ive gotten really bad with street names.Started up here with Pine Ave,Pine road,Pine street,name your tree and add a suffix.

Got so I couldnt keep roads straight.

Turned into the turn left at gas station,right at park type of guy.

Called in a 911 and had no idea what street I was on.You Know....By the airport,south of the new bridge? Guess what,they didnt know,go figure.Almost like the call center was in India...This is 'Jose',how can I help you?

#258942 - 04/12/13 10:26 AM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: dougwalkabout]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
... He instantly recognized his house. His wife (Older than him. Both in their 90's) was there with a deputy about to go look.

Good job.

Awesome! Way to go, Izzy!

My Grandfather was a wanderer at the end and, living in a sleepy little town, always had someone looking out for him. (The guy that owned the donut store - Grandpa's favourite destination on his midnight rambles - was the best. Gave him his favourite donut whenever he'd wander in, listen to whatever story he wanted to tell, and then would convince him that he needed to go home "so Edith won't worry." Thankfully the house and store were in sight of each other.) Eventually, it got so that we put alarms in all the doors so that my Grandma would hear him when he'd try to leave.

Goes to show that there are good people, like Izzy, out there. It really pays to be part of the community. My grandparents lived in that small town for over 45 years, and as the Post Master and a high school teacher, and members of one of the local churches, most everyone knew my Grandfather. It definitely upped the safety and security factor.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/12/13 10:38 AM)

#258960 - 04/12/13 04:12 PM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: Mark_R]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I had to call 911 sometime ago..and took four tries to push 4 buttons on my phone "9-1-1" and send.

#258965 - 04/12/13 04:46 PM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: TeacherRO]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

People panic, Teacher. It's our nature. Nothing to be ashamed of. When a bad situation happens, when those first feeling of panic start to sink in, just stop. Focus. Breathe deeply through the nose and force yourself to be calm. Practice this during non emergency times and it will become instinctive, like proper bone alignment when throwing a punch in martial arts. Then when the emergency do's happen you'll cool, calm and in control. If you can teach, you can do this. Hope this helps.

#258971 - 04/12/13 05:13 PM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
People panic, Teacher. It's our nature. Nothing to be ashamed of. When a bad situation happens, when those first feeling of panic start to sink in, just stop. Focus. Breathe deeply through the nose and force yourself to be calm. Practice this during non emergency times and it will become instinctive, like proper bone alignment when throwing a punch in martial arts. Then when the emergency do's happen you'll cool, calm and in control. If you can teach, you can do this. Hope this helps.

That's why "They" want us to recertify in FA and CPR so frequently, because when your adrenalin starts pumping things get cloudy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.