Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#253938 - 11/28/12 08:15 AM Just ordered a very interesting product!
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I wish I could find & acknowledge the poster that first made me aware of this, but I just ordered a great looking vest made by US Palm. It looks like an incredible product for home defense. It's a tactical type vest with a Level IIIa ballistic panel in the front (with the option to add one to the rear for $99). There are several options but the most intriguing models are the Molle and the Holster versions. I seriously considered the Molle version but in the end I opted for the holster version in black; it's also available in grey, camo, green and red, IIRC. It has a horizontal chest holster that looks to be plenty large for my FNP 45 Tactical & Surefire X300 Ultra. It has pouches for 3 mags or 2 mags and a light, phone, etc. I figure in a home invasion scenario I'm going to hunker down in a safe room, not try to clear the house. But if pressed and left with no alternative I will fight, and having the protection in the front is probably the most important. The really cool thing is that I bought it for under $200 shipped! grin

Here's a picture of it in coyote.

I watched some reviews & videos of the armor being shot with various calibers and am satisfied that the armor will defeat pistol caliber threats. It even defeated a Brenneke saboted copper slug although it's not rated for that.

If something goes bump in the night I can have a pistol w/rail-mounted light, 45 rounds of .45 ACP ammo, my Surefire E1B and cell all loaded in the vest, ready to go at a moment's notice and not have to search for anything. There's a loop-field in front too. That would be handy to attach another small case or perhaps some type of identification. I suppose maybe using one of the pouches for a spare pair of glasses might be a good idea, too.

I'll post my impressions once it arrives! cool

#253942 - 11/28/12 02:03 PM Re: Just ordered a very interesting product! [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Regarding vest-mounted holsters, I have two concerns. First, it's easy to muzzle yourself or someone else while drawing. Second, it's hard to train with them, as most ranges understandably won't permit their use.

I read somewhere that it takes one thousand reps to bring a pistol drawstroke into muscle memory. As with any new holster, train with it extensively so that you can draw smoothly and safely every time.

#253951 - 11/28/12 03:58 PM Re: Just ordered a very interesting product! [Re: chaosmagnet]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Regarding vest-mounted holsters, I have two concerns. First, it's easy to muzzle yourself or someone else while drawing. Second, it's hard to train with them, as most ranges understandably won't permit their use.

I read somewhere that it takes one thousand reps to bring a pistol drawstroke into muscle memory. As with any new holster, train with it extensively so that you can draw smoothly and safely every time.

I do not like any holster that routinely muzzles other people. Just a horrible idea safety wise.

Bob

#253956 - 11/28/12 05:50 PM Re: Just ordered a very interesting product! [Re: Phaedrus]
barbarian Offline
Journeyman

I like it.

I might have ordered the pals/molle version so I could attach my own gear. Agree with earlier comment-make sure to practice often.

#253981 - 11/28/12 09:04 PM Re: Just ordered a very interesting product! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I agree, training is important. But I don't plan to be quick drawing from this rig and running & gunning like a commando. It's more about being able to store & organize all the "bump in the night" items so I can find them. My thinking is that once I don the vest I would bring my pistol into readiness, then investigate the noise. Again, that's if I left my safe room at all. Probably I'd just hunker down.

Also, my main CCW rig is a Browning Hi-Power in a Galco Miami Classic holster (yes, I do have a permit). So I don't think that a chest rig presents any issues for me that I haven't trained for. The muzzle of the gun will follow the same arc of moment as it would from a horizontal shoulder rig, just abbreviated somewhat. The main issue is that it has a wide velcro strap for retention, making the holster more of a "gun holder" or storage device than an integrated carry system.

#253987 - 11/28/12 09:45 PM Re: Just ordered a very interesting product! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BTW, one certainly could get the MOLLE version and attach the pistol vertically if you're worried. Or not attach the pistol at all. I like the idea of using the vest as an organizer to have all the items in one spot but you can certainly set it up in another manner. The MOLLE version could be used for keys, wallet, light & phone, too. Body armor is still practical even if you don't own a gun. Perhaps more so!

#253999 - 11/28/12 11:37 PM Re: Just ordered a very interesting product! [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I agree, training is important. But I don't plan to be quick drawing from this rig and running & gunning like a commando. It's more about being able to store & organize all the "bump in the night" items so I can find them. My thinking is that once I don the vest I would bring my pistol into readiness, then investigate the noise. Again, that's if I left my safe room at all. Probably I'd just hunker down.

I misunderstood; I thought you'd be using the rig to carry your pistol and reloads while holding a long arm.

Quote:
Also, my main CCW rig is a Browning Hi-Power in a Galco Miami Classic holster (yes, I do have a permit). So I don't think that a chest rig presents any issues for me that I haven't trained for. The muzzle of the gun will follow the same arc of moment as it would from a horizontal shoulder rig, just abbreviated somewhat. The main issue is that it has a wide velcro strap for retention, making the holster more of a "gun holder" or storage device than an integrated carry system.

Sounds like a plan.

#254009 - 11/29/12 03:51 AM Re: Just ordered a very interesting product! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am embarrassed to admit that right now I don't own a long gun! blush Recently I traded my only rifle, a Browning A-Bolk Synthetic Stalker .308, in on an FNP 45 Tactical. So for the moment all I have is handguns (.45, 9mm & .22 LR). An "EBR" is on my short list once I recover fiscally from the holidays.

I understand that this site is dedicated to survival, not SHTF/EOTWAWKI scenarios- that's why I like this site! So I'm being careful to not to make this a rambling diatribe about defensive weapons. While I am a lifelong firearms & shooting enthusiast I make no claims to be an "operator" or tactical expert. That said I do acknowledge that a shotgun or carbine would probably be better for "repelling boarders". But at the moment a handgun will have to suffice. That's one (but not the sole) reason that I though armor would be a sensible precaution.

#254038 - 11/29/12 10:25 PM Re: Just ordered a very interesting product! [Re: Phaedrus]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
That said I do acknowledge that a shotgun or carbine would probably be better for "repelling boarders". But at the moment a handgun will have to suffice.
Yup.I get so tired of the weapon,caliber,stopping power arguments so many have to have.HOORAH!!!!!

One blogger said what I feel,essentially when you draw on a person nobody is going to argue with you about what gun it is,or the caliber....I repeat....

The World is not the OK Corral or nothing.

Its true too with other self defense options,MOST all are still rational enough to know they dont want to be hit with any defensive measure you deploy.Says the man who has defused situations with no more than pulling a tube of pepper spray.No caliber,no deadly force,no brandishing weapon charges....Just an instant attitude adjustment.BTDT,not theory or conjecture.

Will it work with someone brandishing a firearm? NO! Will it work with the ape who thinks he can pound on you,YUP!

The right tool for the right job.

I wouldnt confront you Phaedrus,you having any handgun you own drawn on me.

+1 for the body armor aspect alone.Good prep item if thats on your radar.

We are looking at walking sticks,perfect gray man take anywhere....school,Bank,theater,TSA compliant self defense.Just fine for the gray haired crowd.

#254042 - 11/29/12 11:59 PM Re: Just ordered a very interesting product! [Re: ILBob]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: ILBob
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

I do not like any holster that routinely muzzles other people. Just a horrible idea safety wise.

And yet, done daily by our troops. It's extremely difficult to pull your pistol when it's on a thigh holster while in a vehicle. So probably not as dangerous as you fear?

I've looked at US Palm, but I think DW is nixing it currently (thinking it belongs to a hair-brain, TEOTWAKI-seeking, SHTF-monster). However, I've got a cousin that's LA Sheriff - he says he'll keep an eye out for a level IIa that they use, once one gets retired. I figure DW can't argue with "free."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 254 Guests and 98 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.