The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#241401 - 02/17/12 06:54 PM Snowshoes versus Skis
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado
Hi all --

When we experience a major blizzard here in town every few years, I find myself thinking I should have something besides my Kamik boots to get around in, especially when the snow gets over waist high.

Although I live in Colorado, I don't currently own any cross-country skis or snowshoes (must be a native!) because I usually borrow them, but am now checking out the market. And ay-yi-yi, the prices are as ridiculously high as ever. In the end, I might just end up checking out Craig's List or the local recycled sporting goods store.

So people in snow country: I need your thoughts. Which do you consider better for transport during a snowed-in situation -- skis or snowshoes (or both) and why? Also, is there a certain type/brand that you've found better-suited to an urban situation than others?

Edited by Meadowlark (02/17/12 06:56 PM)

#241422 - 02/17/12 10:39 PM Re: Snowshoes versus Skis [Re: Meadowlark]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Tele or Rando skis with skins and wax if you need to go any distance. Just as fast on the uphill as shoes and way faster
on the level and downhill.

Snow shoes would be easier to carry on a pack or in a car-say
when you get to the store or have to hitch a ride.

#241425 - 02/17/12 11:10 PM Re: Snowshoes versus Skis [Re: Meadowlark]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
In the end, I might just end up checking out Craig's List or the local recycled sporting goods store.

I usually like to buy snow gear new, but snow shoes and cross-country skis are two things I'm fairly certain I'd buy used if the savings are great. These are two things I won't baby, and quite possibly could ditch on the fly when I'm "out there".

#241426 - 02/17/12 11:15 PM Re: Snowshoes versus Skis [Re: Meadowlark]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I prefer modern snowshoes (with poles). They're light and handy enough to throw in the car or take on a dayhike. But I'm biased because of a trick knee that makes skiing difficult.

Note that skinny racing skis are designed for trackset conditions. You'll sink deep and fall over a lot in untracked powder -- no lateral stability. To break trail, a backcountry touring ski is the right tool for the job.

#241434 - 02/18/12 02:19 AM Re: Snowshoes versus Skis [Re: dougwalkabout]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I prefer modern snowshoes (with poles). They're light and handy enough to throw in the car or take on a dayhike. But I'm biased because of a trick knee that makes skiing difficult.

Note that skinny racing skis are designed for trackset conditions. You'll sink deep and fall over a lot in untracked powder -- no lateral stability. To break trail, a backcountry touring ski is the right tool for the job.

I gotta echo this. We have both, and the snowshoes are what we use the most. You don't have to pay a lot to get a decent starter shoe. These Yanes Mountain Pass snowshoes come in three sizes and several colors. The binding is a ratchet and it works great.

Attachments
Yanes Mountain Pass.jpg

#241440 - 02/18/12 03:26 AM Re: Snowshoes versus Skis [Re: Meadowlark]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Shoes for slow and steady with a load. Less skill required than skis and they are pretty straightforward for hill climbing.
Takes a LOT more effort than walking to go very far.

Skis for much faster travel but with more chances of crashing and injury (even on the flats). And getting uphill requires skins or wax changes. Getting downhill without crashing a lot requires considerable training/practice. The one injury I've seen a buddy have was ACL rupture while we were XC skiing because of beginner technique (neither of us was any good).

Frankly, unless I was in the mountains, I'd just wait for the snow to melt down a ways so I could walk on it if I had to travel a long ways by manual means.

#241443 - 02/18/12 04:56 AM Re: Snowshoes versus Skis [Re: Meadowlark]
AndrewC Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Boise, ID
I would say snowshoes. We're discussing an urban environment, so you'll be maneuvering around other people, obstacles, potentially some cleared streets, etc. I would expect this to be much easier in snowshoes than in skis. I see very few reasons I'd want to go more than a few miles by foot in a snowed-in situation, and in an urban environment you probably wouldn't be able to maintain much speed on skis anyway due to obstructions.

#241454 - 02/18/12 11:29 AM Re: Snowshoes versus Skis [Re: clearwater]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I'd say snow shoes. Skis require special footwear and a certain minimum skill set. You don't want to learn the finer points of skiing in an emergency.

As for the particular kind of ski (if you're into that sort of thing:)

Originally Posted By: clearwater
Tele or Rando skis with skins and wax if you need to go any distance. Just as fast on the uphill as shoes and way faster on the level and downhill.

Really, in an emergency - do you really think you will be facing steep and fun skiing terrain? Au contraire, you'd want to make your route as efficient and boring as possible. Tele/rando with skins are a drag to walk with on flat surfaces.

If you want to use skis, use regular skis intended for off-track use. We call those "mountain skis" around here. They will typically be 50 to 60 mm at their widest point. You'd want a steel edge (full or 3/4 length) and footwear and bindings that are comfortable, robust and reliable.

That setup is MUCH more comfortable and energy efficient than tele/randone or snow shoes, and will work well both on and off tracks (the tracks are typically less wide than 60 mm, but will wear out quickly so 60mm actually fits most tracks). The wider skis and more robust bindings/boots also gives you MUCH better controll and downhill capabilities than x-country skiis for groomed tracks.

But in reality - if you don't know what kind of skis you'd want to use you are probably much better off using snow shoes.

#241462 - 02/18/12 04:47 PM Re: Snowshoes versus Skis [Re: MostlyHarmless]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Like so much that is involved in preparedness, your skill/experience is the most important element. You can't just jump on a pair of skis and go barreling through the woods, but if you know what you are doing, you can cover a lot of ground very quickly. You will also know precisely which items work best in your situation.

Snowshoes are simple and basic enough that almost anyone can learn the basics in about fifty yards. I would keep both handy, althoug my skiing is very rusty....

#241472 - 02/18/12 09:55 PM Re: Snowshoes versus Skis [Re: Meadowlark]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
How well would I be able to pick up cross country skiing if I'm decent on alpine? I'm actually thinking of getting a pair of cross country to play with, not sure the regular or metal edged type though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.